Charles Fischer

Crap. RB Dante Dowdell Transferring Out

I was wondering about him, as we did not see him much this season and I had high hopes for him.  Others are saying there is smoke out there about a portal RB Oregon is looking at, and a potentially monster HS RB flip that could happen.

Will this be another Trey Benson story?

• Oh no! 2
  • Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

That sucks.  He's got the prototypical size we would've needed at RB going into the B10.  I think Noah Whittington getting injured and announcing that he's returning next season probably was a factor as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

To all players entering the portal, I wish you luck and good fortune wherever you land outside of Montlake.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jayden Limar seemed to come off the bench before him all year.  Must've thought the Depth Chart climb was too great!

• Thumbs Up 4

Jayden seems to have the combo, size, speed and power Dowdell was suppose to have, except Jayden has real speed.  I think Limar is going to hurts some teams once he gets the ball outside in the future. Nobody is going to catch this guy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Wasn't this time of year in the quaint, placid past known as a "quiet period"?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2023 at 5:05 PM, Steven A said:

To all players entering the portal, I wish you luck and good fortune wherever you land outside of Montlake.

I'm expanding my personal "no luck wished" list to include Columbus and Ann Arbor.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

That stinks. I liked what I saw from him in the limited carries he had last season. 

He’s going to end up being really good like Benson.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I was wondering about him, as we did not see him much this season and I had high hopes for him.  Others are saying there is smoke out there about a portal RB Oregon is looking at, and a potentially monster HS RB flip that could happen.

Will this be another Trey Benson story?

Been wondering about the possible flip from Georgia. Maybe it's heating up.

And although Trey Benson has been good since he left. Trey or Buckie? I am taking Buckie every time.

Edited by Fitnessczar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dowdell’s family commented on X and stated the RB room is so deep he would have to wait until Jr year. I am hoping this transfer indicates that we flipped Nate Frazier. 🦆

• Let’s hope! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are ALL KINDS of rumors taking place.  Like maybe Noah Whittington is not going to be ready for fall?  The aforementioned possible flip of Nate Frazier from Georgia?  (Doubt it) Or a RB transfer Oregon might be looking at?

Mr. FishDuck

I do love this coach....

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Sorry to see Dowdell transfer but his parent's statement was honest and likely accurate. At the start of the year it looked like Dowdell had the edge on Limar by virtue of size and pure 'bowl you over' running style. Limar seemed more versatile as the the season wore on and certainly got more snaps.

When Noah went down, James stepped up and solidified himself as the #2 rotational back behind Bucky. These young men are always only one torn ACL away from starting and it looked like Dowdell was going to be behind James and Limar when Noah returned.

He will be a stud for whatever program he transfers to, and he may have a ceiling as high as Benson has had at FSU. Oregon definitely needs another depth piece at RB and it's reasonable to conclude there will be either a recruiting flip or quality transfer in the works. Locklyn has established himself as one of the premier RB coaches in the country and the cupboard will be full come spring ball.

• Thanks 1

Would not be surprised to see him end up at Miss State with Lebby.  That was his second choice after Oregon.

Seems to be some conjecture in the twitter (X) world that a flip of Frazier is not likely as Charles said.  

It is notable that Limar 'seemed' to be ahead of him on the depth chart.  Again, my perception but seems to be that of others here as well.

There is an RB from NW Missouri visiting this weekend and I refuse to say 'what, how could an RB from an unheralded school be any good'?  One Mr. Irving came from a school that is not perceived as a football power either.

Lots of mystery and intrigue this weekend for sure.

On 12/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, Augduck said:

how could an RB from an unheralded school be any good'?  One Mr. Irving came from a school that is not perceived as a football power either.

Yes, and Noah Whittington was a 2-Star receiver at Western Kentucky when signed.  If there is one coach I trust with making these judgments...

Bucky Irving and Coach Locklyn_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/15/2023 at 9:24 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yes, and Noah Whittington was a 2-Star receiver at Western Kentucky when signed.  If there is one coach I trust with making these judgments...

Bucky Irving and Coach Locklyn_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Same here Charles and I like these types of players.   They tend to be hungry (not saying Dowdell was not) and Lock gets the very best out of them.

Dowdell certainly seemed to be hungry when he was getting a few touches... IMO, somebody is getting a monster!

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, when we first got Lanning there was talk from UGA fans about players leaving every year.

Something about de-recruiting?

I guess this is something we will have to get use to.

Stacked top recruiting classes and now with portal, adding key ingredients. 

Will only add to some players leaving and as we recruit so many studs, only studs will be leaving.

With only 4 years to play, can't blame kids for looking for that needed playing time.

Hard part for us fans is getting attached, and letting go.

Well, I guess 'this is the way'.

Good luck to all those who migrate elsewhere.