Charles Fischer

Huskies Got Their Penix Replacement...

Rogers is pretty good, but will the Huskies be as good as Penix and his WRs?

Rogers' long starting streak in question as Dogs visit Hogs on Saturday |  KNWA FOX24

Mr. FishDuck

He won't be as good, he's a good player, but his stats are inflated by being in the air raid.  Huskies will also see a downturn in their receiver core.  I'll be very interested to see who is going to go pro after the playoffs for them.

All that said, I think we'll see a decline in the position as well, Gabriel is pretty good, but I don't think we'll see Nix levels of production, I'll still take our roster over theirs next year, though I would take their offensive brain trust over ours, so maybe it evens out.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

An offensive genius HC will likely always get the right QB and WRs.

It’s one of the benefits of being an offensive wizard.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:58 PM, cartm25 said:

An offensive genius HC will likely always get the right QB and WRs.

It’s one of the benefits of being an offensive wizard.

Sort of like Chip Kelly when he came on the scene. Not a reach to think KD’s trajectory might be similar.

Sans the Pirate his stats dropped a bit but he still threw for a ton of yards at lower SEC-level Mississippi State. 

This is a very good pick-up by DeBoer and shows that UW is willing to open the NIL wallet.

I think that Gabriel if healthy will match or exceed Bo's total O put up in 2023 before the bowl game. If, Stein allows him to use his wheels. 

Oregon is swapping a great QB for an all-P4 QB. And Dillon will have 4 'warm-up' games before Ohio State visits Autzen.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/15/2023 at 9:11 PM, Chas Man said:

Sort of like Chip Kelly when he came on the scene. Not a reach to think KD’s trajectory might be similar.

Great take. But no one revolutionized CFB O like Chip and no one stepped into a quality group of assistant coaches as did the Chipper.

The man's record since his Oregon days is not all that great. .500 at UCLA in the LA recruiting market is not good. He didn't make it in the NFL, once he became the HC and GM and he isn't making it in CFB where one has to recruit 24/7 and not simply pick the portal.

He was perfect for CFB and Oregon at the time, cashed in, but once the shine wore off of the HUNH offense he became an average coach. As much as Chip deserves credit for lifting Oregon, Nick Aliotti also deserves credit. No coach shut down the Heisman winning $cam Newton more than did Nick.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Nick Aliotti also deserves credit. No coach shut down the Heisman winning $cam Newton more than did Nick.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As much as Chip deserves credit for lifting Oregon, Nick Aliotti also deserves credit. No coach shut down the Heisman winning $cam Newton more than did Nick.

I have PTSD watching NAi’s defenses.

His defenses were very good when he had experienced, lock down corners but it was painful to watch when he didn’t. I still remember two young but very talented CBs getting absolutely torched and NA not making any adjustments. He refused to play zone or have safeties over the top, and insisted on leaving his corners on islands. In other words, he didn’t adjust for the talent he had. I always knew the opposing offense would pick up a 3rd and long (and consequently hoped for a 3rd and short instead).

I love Nick but Dan Lanning is 1,000x better as a defensive coach. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Like 1

He was an Air-Raid QB in high school which is why he did so well in Leach’s offense. This year, Arnett tried to switch to a more conventional system and Rogers did not play well.

DeBoer’s system isn’t the Air-Raid, but it is pass heavy, so Rogers should do well. His stats indicate that the more he throws, the more accurate he is. This could be due to all of the short throws in the Air-Raid.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Penix is much harder to replace than Bo.

I don't think I have seen a better pocket passer with some rollout skills in college in years.

Bo in Stein's offense will be an easier replacement.

I think Rogers will be a few rungs lower than Gabriel in regard to replacement parts.

P.S.  Can we refer to it as a Penix transplant instead of replacement?

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

On 12/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Steven A said:

Can we refer to it as a Penix transplant instead of replacement

Is it weird that I had the EXACT same thought??

On 12/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Steven A said:

I think Penix is much harder to replace than Bo.

I don't think I have seen a better pocket passer with some rollout skills in college in years.

I agree. For those who persist with the "Dan Lanning has a Kalen DeBoer problem" narrative, I always counter with "Dan Lanning had a Michael Penix problem." For me, Penix is the second coming of Kenny Stabler, and may well develop into a better pro than The Snake.

As a lifelong Husky hater, it pains me to admit that I actually enjoyed--no, appreciated--watching him loft those pinpoint deep passes to his receivers. And, having Odunze as a target didn't hurt any. So, I, too, don't see the Huskies being able to maintain their offensive efficiency next year without these two incredible weapons--no matter WHO they replace them with.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Penix went from 12-5 at Indiana to 24-2 under DeBoer. DeBoer just keep winning no matter the qb or place. 

Penix is good and will need to prove himself at the next level.  DeBoer is a very good coach at this level and hopefully needs to prove himself at the next level soon!

• Thumbs Up 3

Gabriel 2023 passer rating:  172.0

Rogers 2023 passer rating: 130.9

Gabriel 2023 rushing: 373 yards, 4.0 avg, 12 TDs

Rogers 2023 rushing: -13 yards, -0.4 avg, 1 TD

I love who Oregon got

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They also got themselves a DB replacement. 

image.png.3fd4d6e8ab0ef64b5e6c65e99a91a0b7.png

On 12/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

They also got themselves a DB replacement. 

image.png.3fd4d6e8ab0ef64b5e6c65e99a91a0b7.png

He didn't commit as far as I've seen, but took a visit at least. He said in his transfer portal exit post, "Once a Duck, always a Duck"... that does not apply if you go to the Huskies.