candyduck

Chip and the Chargers

Just having fun with this.  Curious what some of your thoughts might be?

Maybe this is a good time to look into going back to the NFL   I didn't think it was a good idea when he left the Ducks and went to Philly years ago.  I thought it would take about 2 years for NFL defenses to figure out his offense and be too fast for him to succeed.

I think this might be a good time for him to have a Pete Carrol approach to coaching.  Keep Moore, hire a top DC and just manage(if he can) the game.

He's already in LA, he hates recruiting from what everyone says, and won't get any better results in the B1G. 

I'd certainly consider it if I were him.

Edited by candyduck

love the idea even if he didn't have super great results in the pros.

My friend, Chip has 2 NFL strikes against him and no NFL owner will give Chip a 3rd trip to the NFL plate to complete a strike-out. 

He is one game over .500 in 6 seasons in Westwood. His 2024 recruiting class is a joke. Why would any Billionaire + want to hire this guy and try to sell him to the fan base? IMO. looking at the record and the recruiting numbers, UCLA never should have fired Jim Mora. And perhaps, even Neu?

When you coach a P4 team in LA and cannot recruit, why would any AD, except an athletic department that is broke keep a guy on board who cannot recruit in LA? Dorrel did better recruiting than Chip. He is picking up a check, pontificating regarding the PO format, and finishing, based on the 2023 record that was a piece of cake, 8-5, including a bowl win against a Boise team with its starting QB who had bailed for the Hogs.

Without the support group of assistant coaches he had in Eugene, what has Chip done but score millions+ in an incredibly flawed system where $ repeatedly trumps common sense?

• Thumbs Up 4

Not sold...IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

You're making my argument for me in paragraphs 2 & 3.  He hates recruiting, he isn't good at it, he doesn't have to recruit in the pros.

As Henry Ford and others have said, surround yourself with great leaders and manage the leaders!  I think Moore can be really good OC in the right situation.  Find a DC Chip could let do their thing and stay out of the way.

Remember Pete SUCKED in NE but figured something out in college and has done pretty good in the pros the second time around.

I get your thoughts though.  I just think Chip could be fun in LA if he doesn't run his offense.

Edited by candyduck

Just No.

Please don't fo that to Justin, please...

• Thumbs Up 1

Pete was .500 in New England and made an NFL  PO appearance or two, including playing in Super Bowls. Chip made it to the PO before he became the Philly GM and then he completely failed with the 49ers.  

Pete in CFB had it going at a level that brought ESPN to an auxiliary office in Heritage Hall. Chip at UCLA is 1 game over .500.

Career-wise, Chip is nowhere close to Pete.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I was watching a game a few weeks ago and it hit me where Chip should coach at; one of the academy’s.

Totally different type of recruiting, disciplined players and can install his unique offense.

i think he could do well there.

• Applause 1

On 12/23/2023 at 6:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Not sold...IMHO.

My friend Mr. FishDuck, I agree with you not being sold. Based on the man's record post-OREGON, why would anyone be sold on Chip? When he was hired at Oregon as HC he landed on an assistant coaching 3rd base and thought he hit a triple on his own. Make no mistake, in many ways, he revolutionized CFB offenses but the CFB world caught up to him. Going 8-5 in 2023 with the schedule he played was suspect, Yes, he defeated SC but was then trucked by Cal and also lost to ASU in LA. Hats off for beating Boise but he started the wrong guy at QB in the game. Garbers coming in as the replacement QB led to a win in the LA Bowl.

Hats off to him for his success in Eugene and making CFB FUN, including ticking off Saint Nick, but for an NFL team to take a third dip in the Chipper pond, no comprende.

The last thing our buddy Justin Herbert needs is Chip as the Chargers' new HC. I'd open the wallet for Harbaugh before hiring Chip. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Chip’s coaching career can be seen in the rear view mirror. I have to think his best work was in Eugene and he parlayed that success into some nice paychecks for awhile.

Looks like those paychecks are going to dry up soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chip is that old girlfriend who brings back memories, but it was situational fun. You had no idea the train wreck that was coming and even though you have seen how bad it would have turned out you long for those memories. Time to let go and let Chip age into the great memory he still is, but that is all he is.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Chip is done in the NFL unless he is hired as an OC. 

Id like the Chargers to hire a good offensive mind that can develop Herbert to his full potential. Jim Harbough would be an ideal candidate, but per my previous post, tends to quickly wear out his welcome with his abrasive personality. He certainly knows how to coach QBs and win. 

On 12/24/2023 at 12:50 AM, Drake said:

Chip’s coaching career can be seen in the rear view mirror. I have to think his best work was in Eugene and he parlayed that success into some nice paychecks for awhile.

Looks like those paychecks are going to dry up soon.

Chip should coach at a lower level or someplace where there isn’t pressure to win every season. 

I would be very disappointed to hear that the Chargers hired Chip as HC.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think Chip and the NFL are not a good match.  I remember telling my Duck homer friend that Chip would quickly wear out his welcome in the NFL.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when Chip convinced Jeff Lurie to give him roster management control from Howie Roseman in Philly?  He hired his own guy, made a bunch of bad trades and was fired at the end of the season.  Meanwhile, Howie is still there.

That's why it would be foolish to hire him in the NFL again. Which likely means Spanos has Chip on speed dial.

From NFL.com:

The Eagles also announced that Ed Marynowitz, Kelly's hand-picked vice president of player personnel, was also released. It's a telling part of this change in direction. This firing comes nearly a year to the day that Kelly got control of the personnel department last offseason, leading to former general manager Howie Roseman having a reduced role on the football side of the team. Roseman, now an executive vice president, will be part of the group that hires the next Eagles coach.

• Applause 1

Like the song by Sade.

Never as good as the first time.

In Chips defense the 49ers were a push, they were zero for everything and was given a season and a half to reverse a fall off the cliff. 

On 12/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, Flyin Vee said:

In Chips defense the 49ers were a push, they were zero for everything and was given a season and a half to reverse a fall off the cliff. 

Chip tied the Niners worse record in franchise history (with only 2 wins). The Niners had 5 wins the season before Chip and 6 the season after. A couple of seasons before he arrived they were playing in the Super Bowl and Shanahan has them playing at an elite level again.  

Don’t kid yourself, Chip was a special kind of bad in San Francisco.   

Ummm... Chip, Chargers, No.