FishDuck Article

Why Oregon Needs Their ‘A’ Game for Liberty U.

After watching highlights of most of Liberty’s 2023 football games–I come away with a healthy respect for what they have built, in particular on the offensive side of the ball. While most are critical of an “all-Group 5” schedule, I think many missed how Liberty nearly beat a then No. 19 Wake Forest in 2022 by a slim 37-36 loss. ...

FISHDUCK.COM

After watching highlights of most of Liberty’s 2023 football games–I come away with a healthy respect for what they have built, in particular on...
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

As I watched each video I harkened back to the Blur offense with Chip'r. Man!!! I loved that Era. 

I believe the Linebackers and safeties are the difference in this game as a running QB can take the wind out of the defense' sails. We have sideline to sideline speed in that department. My prediction is that the first half is Oregon finding themselves on both sides of the ball. 24-17 or something like that. Then to finish the game a blow out. 52-17 Bo wins the 'Oregon Heisman' errr Harrington.

• Applause 1

Wonderful work, Charles!  Appreciate the time you spent putting this together.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, Charles. Great analysis.

So much of bowl outcomes dedend upon the Want To factor. This is Liberty's shot at the New Year's Day spotlight and the Flames will come in on fire. But with Bo leading the way I am impressed with how many Ducks who could have opted out are playing in this game. 

Liberty did not play a top 50 offense in 2023, and Liberty had the 14th most giveaways. This a D that was not tested accompanied by a high scoring offense prone to turn the ball over but not necessarily pay the price because the opposition's Os were not very good. 

ESPN FPI has the Ducks winning 89.9% of the simulated games. But SP+ has Oregon winning only 78% of the time by an average of 13.2 points a game, below the Ducks -17.5 odds. Bet MGM comes with the most confidence in Oregon, Ducks win 95% of the time. 

I believe that Liberty will put up some points but this is by far the best offense the Flames have faced all season. I think Oregon coveres the 17.5 but that Liberty keeps it close for a half.

Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Charles for the video clips and your analysis. Agree with your assessment that the defense must play their position/assignment with discipline. 

Liberty has not faced a team with as much talent, size and speed as the Ducks. On either side of the ball.......

The D must simply execute the schemes as laid out by the coaching staff. Force Liberty to punt and punt often.

Once Liberty crosses midfield they will go for it on 4th down. Limiting OBD'S possessions will be Liberty's best defense.

The offense with Bo behind center must bring their energy from the first snap. If the Ducks get 4 or 5 first half possessions then 28-35 points must be on the scoreboard.

Each time the D forces a punt, makes a 4th down stop or gets a turnover, their reward must end in 7 points.

I have text many times this season that only the Duck Ducks can beat the Ducks. The huskies deserve the credit for 3 straight 3 point wins over OBD's....

This season, in both games the Duck D surrendered 14 or more points than their season average. The Duck O scored about 14 points under their average. 

The special team units under performed and DL made a few critical ingame decisions.

The coaches and players executed at a level that was a recipe for defeat.

Yet the #2 team in the country barely won. The huskies executed in critical situations and OBD's did not.

Liberty will leave it all on the field and play with energy and motivation. As long as the Ducks bring the same then the Ducks win, cover and leave the field 12-2 .........

Go Ducks! The Fiesta is what you earned so claim your prize.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it matters what conference a team is in, going undefeated is never easy.

That said, I don't think Lanning or the players are overlooking Liberty.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Speed, talent like they have not seen.  Best D they will have seen by far.  It won't be close.  53-17 maybe, they score on our backups in the 2nd half

• Thumbs Up 1

A recipe for disaster would be to come out flat and then give them turnovers. If that doesn't happen then I think the Oregon offense will be too much.

Bo Nix and the rest of the weapons will be unlike anything Liberty has seen this season. That said they won't lay down, and Stein has to scheme for an all out assault out of the gate.

Agree the offense Liberty has will provide a lot of challenges our defense has to be disciplined and ready for. This will be a challenge for Tosh and his players to show they aren't just highly rated, but ready for the test.

Just wow on the effort and analysis by Charles! Thank you for providing the insights and expertise in knowing our opponent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another play Liberty likes to do with twin backs, is an Outside Zone with a lead blocker being the other running back.  Kind of like going back to the 1970s and what they did with the Wishbone Offense.  Oregon ran this a decade ago successfully, and it is a good play.  In the example below--had he cut inside near the end of the run--he would have had more yardage.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, JDuck said:

Speed, talent like they have not seen.  Best D they will have seen by far.  It won't be close.  53-17 maybe, they score on our backups in the 2nd half

Yep.  Arkansas said that last year too.

Mr. FishDuck

If the Ducks come out slow, which has been the case in a few games this season, we will see a competitive game till the 2nd half. 

If the Ducks come out fast then it could be over early.

Team speed is at every position is a huge advantage for the Ducks. 

The competition in this game is themselves and will show us a lot about our coaching staff.

IMO the Ducks should win handily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Mr. FishDuck. IMHO this game puts our DUCKS in a no win situation. We are expected to win but this is football with all sorts of risks. Good Gosh forbid but look what happened to The Ohio State University yesterday, losing their starting QB early in the game and laying an egg. Do we expect to play Bo Nix for three quarters? Liberty is a talented team and will be bringing their "A" game. Will our DUCKS bring the same and will we stay healthy? We have great depth this year but no longer at QB for this game.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, Just Ducky said:

If the Ducks come out slow, which has been the case in a few games this season, we will see a competitive game till the 2nd half. 

If the Ducks come out fast then it could be over early.

Team speed is at every position is a huge advantage for the Ducks. 

The competition in this game is themselves and will show us a lot about our coaching staff.

IMO the Ducks should win handily.

I just hope we don't rely on team speed on defense too much. We need discipline and excellent tackling. If we rely on speed that may mean we are having to catch a guy in the open field. Speed to help on gang tacking I would love to see.

I believe we will both run and pass the ball easily against Liberty, but we cannot allow them to have sustained drives (which they can with an option offense) that dramatically shortens the games and gives us few possessions.  I would like to see a 17-21 point lead, and then run the ball and close it out.  Do not allow them to burn clock, and keep it close.

Middle Tennessee vs Liberty Predictions - NCAAF Week 8 Betting Odds,  Spreads & Picks 2023

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gonna have to do this without both starting corners…

Preparation and motivation are key elements in this gane.

I firmly believe DL and staff have the team prepared and motivated. Now its upto the players to execute.

I sense a great deal of anxiety on this Forum from some posters. I can understand the normal trap game fears. If we start out flat on either side of the ball then the Flames can keep it close, for awhile.

For this fan, i cannot let those thoughts creep into my head.....

I expected the Ducks to be in the final four and compete with any top 10 team we faced.

If we were playing Michigan, texas, bama, georgia, etc then i would be worried. 

I am open to any posts or discussions on how the Flames fit into that conversation.

This should be a 70-24 Duck win. More likely the Ducks play everyone and its a 56- 38 game.

Should never be in doubt.

Doesnt mean that the Flames arent dangerous. Thats why they will play this game...

Go Ducks.......

On 12/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

If we were playing Michigan, texas, bama, georgia, etc then i would be worried. 

I felt the same way...until I watched tape of every Liberty game.  We should score a high number of points, but their option offense with great blocking can negate superior defensive talent.  Burn clock, shorten the game and possessions...

He would agree...

Greatwood Championship Productions.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If Oregon brings their A game this game won't be close.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/30/2023 at 7:50 AM, Annie said:

I don't think it matters what conference a team is in, going undefeated is never easy.

That said, I don't think Lanning or the players are overlooking Liberty.

Go Ducks!

They had the 133rd strength of schedule out of 133 though.

B1G talk shows on you tube are very dismissive of the line play of Liberty, but I'm not so sure they are right about the OL. 

I think the 17 points spread is about right. Both teams are basically full strength, and it's simply a matter of who shows up. As long as Oregon shows up, they will win.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep.  Arkansas said that last year too.

Arkansas is SEC but they aren't really at the same level as Oregon

Liberty does an excellent job running the triple option, and they lead the nation in rushing statistics. As Charles pointed out, their plan will be to maintain possession, control the clock, and keep the ball out of the hands of Oregon’s explosive offense. 

Oregon’s defense will need to play disciplined football, mind lane assignments, and contain the edges. Oregon’s offense needs to take control early and get a good lead in order to force Liberty’s offense out of its comfort zone. If Oregon wins the toss, I’d like to see them take the ball first.

I like how seriously Oregon seems to be taking this game. I could see this being a blowout victory for Oregon, but I could also see it being a game requiring Oregon’s serious effort to win.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Turnovers. Liberty can only win if they’re +3 or more. I think Oregon wins by at least 30 if they don’t turn it over.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain