FishDuck Article

Lanning Will Need to be B1G in Year 3

Dan Lanning has put together two good seasons in his first two years as a head coach, and as fans we have seen him grow. For the 2024 recruiting cycle, he brought in the best prep recruiting class in Oregon history while also landing a major quarterback transfer in Dillon Gabriel. The offense is efficient and the defense will continue ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning has put together two good seasons in his first two years as a head coach, and as fans we have seen him grow. For the 2024 recruiting...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

David you are right on with your observations for 2024.

DL needs to win some BIG games to continue to cement his legacy. OBD's will have the defending national champions, the Natty runnerup and tOSU on their schedule.......wow.....

Winning 2 out of those 3 games and no slip ups may be needed to reach the BIG title game. 

The husky vs Duck game may decide the issue for entrance to the title game and subsequent CFP invite.

How the teams replace talent and coaching will tell the story in 2024. I sure like OBD's chances.

Go big Ducks.......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:35 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

How the teams replace talent and coaching will tell the story in 2024. I sure like OBD's chances

We already know that DL has a top 10 recruiting class. Replacing talent has happened and will likely continue. His next task is to beat the Fuskies. Out recruiting hasn't equated to out coaching yet.

On a side note: the four new B1G teams are 4-0 in bowl games! Like someone else said, at least two teams from the pac are going to be in the teir 1 group of the B1G next season and all for will be in the top half of the B1G!

• Applause 1

It will be interesting to see if Lanning had a Penix problem, not so much a DeBoer issue. We must remember Mariø beat DeBoer so the magic act isn't just the guy on the sideline. Last night Penix again proved he is the real deal.

I also want to see if we need another Dye type player on defense. I mean a leader who has that magical ability to lead, will the defense to make those plays that seemed to sometimes elude us. Maybe a fully healthy Justin Jacobs will be that guy, or my pick freshman Brayden Platt. Oregon needs guys on the field who will a win, and others follow. 

A team needs a great coach and supporting cast of coaches who meld into a unit of leaders. I see this beginning to more fully happen. I believe this was one element holding us back. In the future I think we will see the systems and processes more fully integrated into a team firing on all systems under Lannings vision.

The last element is going to be having another Nix type leader at QB, hopefully Dillon will be that guy. As mentioned we then need that same on field leadership on defense. I think that will happen too, and I won't even begin to talk about the special teams. Hopefully special teams gets gets it going as the other components have. We will need all things working. As we saw with Michigan last night, one part can potentially kill a great season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mario beat DeBoer when DeBoer was at Fresno State. Not really a good comparison, IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/2/2024 at 8:06 AM, Haywarduck said:

It will be interesting to see if Lanning had a Penix problem, not so much a DeBoer issue. We must remember Mariø beat DeBoer so the magic act isn't just the guy on the sideline. Last night Penix again proved he is the real deal.

I also want to see if we need another Dye type player on defense. I mean a leader who has that magical ability to lead, will the defense to make those plays that seemed to sometimes elude us. Maybe a fully healthy Justin Jacobs will be that guy, or my pick freshman Brayden Platt. Oregon needs guys on the field who will a win, and others follow. 

A team needs a great coach and supporting cast of coaches who meld into a unit of leaders. I see this beginning to more fully happen. I believe this was one element holding us back. In the future I think we will see the systems and processes more fully integrated into a team firing on all systems under Lannings vision.

The last element is going to be having another Nix type leader at QB, hopefully Dillon will be that guy. As mentioned we then need that same on field leadership on defense. I think that will happen too, and I won't even begin to talk about the special teams. Hopefully special teams gets gets it going as the other components have. We will need all things working. As we saw with Michigan last night, one part can potentially kill a great season.

Hayward- you hit on something that has stood out to me since Dan came on board.   He knows how to cultivate team leaders and team chemistry.  What do I mean by that?   He seems to understand the personalities of his players much better than his predecessors (note that plural designation) and understands how to tap into what makes each person unique.   It's clear the players are willing to run through a wall for him.   

Tez commented post game yesterday that Dan knows how to push the right buttons at the right time.  The fact the players recognize that says something.

Sure Bo is gone as are JPJ and others who were probably team leaders behind the scenes.   Bassa, Burch and maybe Gabriel will possibly be some of the guys who will take on the leadership role next year.   I hope everyone on the team carefully observed how Bo conducted himself because that is the blue print for team leadership.

Dan will continue his Wednesday  "Get Real' team dinners during the off season which nothing football related can be discussed, and I am sure they will continue their players only team meetings on Thursdays.   These are the kinds of things that build culture and comradery.

The bigger more urgent issue is now that Bo and Casey Rogers are gone who will be the designated Lanning babysitters?????😉

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Right on, good stuff. 

I think the number of losses that constitute a playoff worthy year with a 12 team playoff, and 2 super conferences is going to take a recalibration of everyone’s brain. What happens if the top 3-4 teams in the SEC and B1G all have 2-3 losses? Does a 2 loss runner up in the Big12 make it over a 3 loss third place team from the SEC?

Will be fun to watch it unfold, but I think there’s a decent chance the winners of the new super conferences have 2 losses, those schedules are seriously upgrading.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:16 AM, jrw said:

I don't believe that Mario beat DeBoer. Mario was gone when DeBoer arrived at Washington.

The MC led Ducks beat the DeBoer coached Fresno State Bulldogs 31-24 at Autzen on Sept 4, 2021. UW hired him on November 30, 2021.

• Thumbs Up 2

A little of topic but DeBoer made end of game decisions that should have cost his team the game.  

It was serious cognitive dissonance to see someone who is such a good coach (1) not force Texas to burn their second timeout knowing that recovering the imminent onside post a Texas score would enable victory formation and (2) running any non-kneel down thereby enabling the injury stoppage risk. 

Flat out terrible coaching and he got really lucky to escape 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, David, for another great take. 

Who will play QB at Ohio State? (Cam Ward has declared for the draft.) QB Air (!) Noland is a 5 star recruit but being a 5* does not equal playing great ball in the Power 4. And at least in part, I think Lou was right, tOSU is 'softer' under Day than it was under Urban Meyer.

Will Michigan's McCarthy declare for the draft after the champ game? Regardless, Michigan is losing the core of the team that has gone 3-0 vs the Buckeyes in the last 3 games. Oregon does not play Penn State in 2024 but the Pann State O is as bland as an O can get. And the vaunted Penn State D was lit up by Ole Miss. Iowa was pathetic yesterday. Wisconsin had a chance to defeat LSU playing without the Heisman winner. Next year's trip to Madison in November will likely be a tough game. 

SP+ has ranked the 15 most difficult schedules in 2024. 7 B1G teams are on the list: No. 2 USC/ No. 3 NW/ No. 5. Purdue ( OREGON trips to Purdue in 2024); No. 8.UW; No. 12 UCLA (at UCLA will be Oregon's first game against a B1G opponent); No. 13 OREGON; and No. Michigan State. Sparty will be visiting Eugene next year. No Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State on the list. 

DeBore did get a quality QB transfer out of the portal. Will (I Never Met A Football I Didn't Like) Rogers who was prolific playing for The Pirate at Miss State will attempt to replace Heisman Winner (Ooops!) Penix and I expect will play well in DeBoer's system. 

2-loss Oregon, Missouri, Penn State would have been in a 12 team field this season. With 2-loss Ole Miss and Oklahoma on the cusp. I expect that will see at least two 2-loss teams in the PO in 2024. 

Danno is 2-0 in his bowl games with a close win vs. UNC and QB Drake Maye and yesterday's roasting of the Flames. I believe Oregon will be competitive in the B1G from the get-go and will go at least 2-1 vs. Michigan, Ohio State and UW.

It's going to be B1G Fun.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:56 AM, CalBear95 said:

A little of topic but DeBoer made end of game decisions that should have cost his team the game.  

It was serious cognitive dissonance to see someone who is such a good coach (1) not force Texas to burn their second timeout knowing that recovering the imminent onside post a Texas score would enable victory formation and (2) running any non-kneel down thereby enabling the injury stoppage risk. 

Flat out terrible coaching and he got really lucky to escape 

The Huskies have escaped so many losses this season. They are the luckiest team in college football. I guess it's kinda true... better to be lucky than good. The Huskies are also pretty good... but they have had a TON of luck to survive to this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks, David, for another great take. 

Who will play QB at Ohio State? (Cam Ward has declared for the draft.) QB Air (!) Noland is a 5 star recruit but being a 5* does not equal playing great ball in the Power 4. And at least in part, I think Lou was right, tOSU is 'softer' under Day than it was under Urban Meyer.

Will Michigan's McCarthy declare for the draft after the champ game? Regardless, Michigan is losing the core of the team that has gone 3-0 vs the Buckeyes in the last 3 games. Oregon does not play Penn State in 2024 but the Pann State O is as bland as an O can get. And the vaunted Penn State D was lit up by Ole Miss. Iowa was pathetic yesterday. Wisconsin had a chance to defeat LSU playing without the Heisman winner. Next year's trip to Madison in November will likely be a tough game. 

SP+ has ranked the 15 most difficult schedules in 2024. 7 B1G teams are on the list: No. 2 USC/ No. 3 NW/ No. 5. Purdue ( OREGON trips to Purdue in 2024); No. 8.UW; No. 12 UCLA (at UCLA will be Oregon's first game against a B1G opponent); No. 13 OREGON; and No. Michigan State. Sparty will be visiting Eugene next year. No Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State on the list. 

DeBore did get a quality QB transfer out of the portal. Will (I Never Met A Football I Didn't Like) Rogers who was prolific playing for The Pirate at Miss State will attempt to replace Heisman Winner (Ooops!) Penix and I expect will play well in DeBoer's system. 

2-loss Oregon, Missouri, Penn State would have been in a 12 team field this season. With 2-loss Ole Miss and Oklahoma on the cusp. I expect that will see at least two 2-loss teams in the PO in 2024. 

Danno is 2-0 in his bowl games with a close win vs. UNC and QB Drake Maye and yesterday's roasting of the Flames. I believe Oregon will be competitive in the B1G from the get-go and will go at least 2-1 vs. Michigan, Ohio State and UW.

It's going to be B1G Fun.

Exactly, and I’d add to look at it this way…11 of the final top 12 this year will be in the SEC and B1G next year, and 5 of those teams had 2 losses this year. With them all playing each other more, probably 8 of the top 12 will have an additional loss. I don’t see anyway there are not multiple teams with 3 losses making the field

• Thumbs Up 1

Love the article David.  I think OBD can go 2-1 against those 3 teams.  The Huskie game is a must-win, if anything to re-assert dominance over the PNW.  tOSU at home seems to be an "easier" win than Michigan on the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 1:24 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Exactly, and I’d add to look at it this way…11 of the final top 12 this year will be in the SEC and B1G next year, and 5 of those teams had 2 losses this year. With them all playing each other more, probably 8 of the top 12 will have an additional loss. I don’t see anyway there are not multiple teams with 3 losses making the field

I was just conversing with a DUCK friend and we both said the same thing, UW has been very lucky this year and yes, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  

I still get incensed that after every reception the UW receivers claim they were interfered with. They did it non stop on 10/14 and also in Vegas on 12/1.

Speaking further with my friend, we also commented about DeBoer's coaching  during the last few minutes which CalBear95 also so astutely pointed out.  I too think DeBoer is a very good coach but just goes to show that in the heat of battle some coaches don't make the right calls and to further add, Saban not over ruling his OC on that last run play, well that might merit a whole thread of it's own.  Point is it's easy for all of us to know exactly what to do from the comfort of our sofa, but in real time in a pressure situation it's tough.

I get coaches get paid the big bucks but we sometimes forget they are human too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would love to see OBD go 3-0 in that stretch, but that would require at least one game of fuski-esque "luck", IMHO.

Go Ducks!

Let's get future this Oregon retiree his first NC run!

On 1/2/2024 at 5:25 PM, woundedknees said:

Would love to see OBD go 3-0 in that stretch, but that would require at least one game of fuski-esque "luck", IMHO.

Go Ducks!

Let's get future this Oregon retiree his first NC run!

3-0! They're playing for clicks! OBD be playing for Ws! Keep best QB in the conference, DG, upright and good things will happen.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Great stuff David, and before I stick my neck out again...I need to see what we get from the portal.  It was stated in the Ohio State bowl game that Ryan Day is not going to go to the portal for a quarterback!  If that remains, true, then Oregon's chances at Autzen just went way up, IMHO with the Buckeye visit.

Are we going to hang onto some key players on offense, such as Marcus Harper or Terrance Ferguson...or the three receivers of Bryant, Johnson and Holden? Will we get more help from the portal?  Those answers will determine if we go 0-3, or 3-0 with that group.

And don't overlook Wisconsin in the middle of November, as that one shouts TRAP game to me.

Wisconsin football: Brad Davison and D'Mitrik Trice play QB—why not?  (satire) - Bucky's 5th Quarter

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Duck and husky fans have been spoiled the last 2 seasons with Heisman QB's running the show.

I felt ease and comfort when Bo was on the field.. Now DG might be even better. We just won't know really until the tOSU game. Maybe!

But Charles is right that tOSU offense may take a hit without an experienced QB.

The PAC profile was elevated the last 2 seasons with its QB play on the field.

If DG can win over the team, lead them and execute at Bo's level then most teams in the BIG cannot score 45 points on the Ducks.

One of the biggest off season concern for me is can DL and staff figure out how to win games against the BIG defenses that hold the Duck O well under theirscoring average.

Most of this will be fun to discuss but we wont have any concrete answers until after spring ball. Players will hit the Transfer Portal and then rosters will have their final look.

Go Ducks....go Blue......

DG put up some really good numbers at Oklahoma. Just not sure about the competition in that conference. 

Texas was a big win for them and DG lead Oklahoma In rushing that game, over 100 yrds and thru for almost 300. 

That being said he lost to Kansas and had his worst game of the season and Oklahoma State that he did have good stats in the loss.

That conference was weaker than the big 10 by a lot so hard to get a gauge on how good DG really is. 3 good teams there but 2 are headed to the Sec. I expect Arizona to win that conference next year if they hang on to that QB.

I do think our QB room looks good and deeper than it ever has been to start the regular season. 

If DL keeps this staff together for a bit the future looks stable to me.

Here’s the truth: you finish top 3 in the B1G or SEC, you are in the playoffs.  Finishing 4th isn’t even automatically disqualifying 

The Ducks are a top 4 team in the B1G and maybe even top 3.

If DL gets his defense where he wants it they are going to be fine (i.e., won’t look like Iowa or Penn State)

• Like 1

Oregon with DG at QB will be as good an offense as there is in the B1G.

Gabriel will take care of the passing game, contribute to the running game (don't get hurt please) and Oregon already has a good running game. 

I expect UW to take a little step back, they lose the best pure passer in college ball and maybe the best wide receiver. There is no one out there to come right in and replace those guys. 

We'll see what Riley comes up with at SC and Chip Kelley at UCLA, but chances are the two best offenses in the B1G will be West Coast teams. 

Defensively if Lanning keeps building this defense the way he is Oregon will be competitive with the top D's in the B1G too. 

With a top QB coming in, the Ducks have an excellent chance of playing for the conference championship. Just getting to that game will probably mean a playoff birth.