Charles Fischer

Lanning Leaving: What We Know... (WHEW!)

At this moment, we know nothing. Is he in Alabama interviewing or not?  Post here when you read something, or start a new thread.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

In another thread, TFITZ81 wrote..."Lanning had a team dinner at his house yesterday and was not in Tuscaloosa according to several players."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

From an Alabama site last evening...

screenshot_20240110_211445_chrome-jpg.50

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Zachary Neal confirms that Lanning was not in Alabama yesterday.

Who are the most likely candidates to replace Nick Saban at Alabama?

Much of the drama since his departure has been about who would end up replacing Saban down in Tuscaloosa. Fans of the Oregon Ducks are well aware of this, as head coach Dan Lanning has been considered one of the top candidates since the news broke. The ensuing hours saw the rumor mill go wild, with false reports on Wednesday showing that Lanning was in Tuscaloosa already, causing quite a stir in Eugene.

While I can confirm that Lanning was not in Alabama, that doesn’t mean he is 100% not taking the job, though I believe he will ultimately stay in Eugene.

Who will be the next head coach of the Crimson Tide, though? That’s a good question. Lets break down the top options, and assign hypothetical betting odds for how likely I think that candidate is to actually take over in Tuscaloosa.

Dan Lanning:

Hypothetical Odds: +600

Current Job: Oregon Ducks HC

Analysis: Alright, let’s talk about Dan Lanning. My hypothetical odds for Oregon’s head coach to leave for Alabama are likely a lot lower than many people would project, but it’s because I feel confident based on who I’ve talked to in and around the Ducks’ program that he won’t be leaving Eugene for Tuscaloosa. With his ties to Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide,it would make sense that he is considered the leading candidate for the job, but based on intel that I’ve received, I don’t expect Lanning to leave the Ducks and replace Saban.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning and Kalen DeBoer lead a short list of top candidates to take over for Nick Saban with the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Keep in mind that Lanning is a master at recruiting, and uses every opportunity to enhance the brand and our profile.  If he turns down Alabama because "we have something special going on in Oregon,"....a ton of recruits will want to know "what is it?"

Or, we're being played?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Taggart Video_FP.jpg

"Trust me....he isn't going anywhere."  (Pic from that infamous news conference)

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

We don't even know where DL stands as far as the AL hiring process goes. I only see hypotheticals from sports pundits. Same pundits that are already picking an NFL team for Harbaugh. As far as we know he could be 3rd or 5th or wherever on the list that AL is using. 

Who knows if this is true?

img_6046-png.502853

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

This morning's Vegas odds...  (Of course Vegas said we would beat UW twice...)

next-alabama-head-coach-odds-and-predict

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/11/2024 at 7:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Who knows if this is true?

I like this one Charles.  I think I will make this one my reality for today!!

• Thumbs Up 1

From an Alabama site early this morning....

Lanning News.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

img_0508-jpeg.503115

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Humor!

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Yep!

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Whoever follows Saban  better win a lot and fast, tough acts to follow 

Keep in mind that Dan took a few days to respond to the Texas A&M rumors...

My FishDuck Friends...I have to get to work.  Somebody take over!

Mr. FishDuck

Bama Wish List:

1 Smart

2 Sarkisian

3 Lanning

4 Norvell

5 Kiffin

6 DeBoer

When you remove those who have a better situation at their current school, the list drops to:

1 Norvell

2 Kiffin

3 Deboer 

My 2 cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2024 at 7:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This morning's Vegas odds...  (Of course Vegas said we would beat UW twice...)

next-alabama-head-coach-odds-and-predict

My money's on Deion!  Now wouldn't that be hilarious!?  Wonder how fast that program would implode with him around!!?

I don't see Sark or Kiffin going either.  They're already big fish in football towns.  Just right for their egos!!

Edited by candyduck

Lanning to Bama?  Anything in life is a possibility, so never say never.  I fully expect Lanning to have an interview (at least a preliminary one).  I myself have been interviewed for positions I was reasonably sure that I was not going to take, but the experience and exposure was a good networking and learning experience and helped refine my interviewing processes.  

That being said.  DL is always on the lookout for an "edge" for the team he is managing, so any trips to Tuscaloosa may just be another way of DL leveraging his "spotlight" to further enhance and develop OREGON football.  (Much like his appearance during Utah GameDay and last weeks Natty appearance at halftime).

Personally I am very grateful that Oregon stepped up earlier last year and reworked DLs contract, including the bump on buyout money from 10 to 20 mil dollars.  Even in an age of big college football money, 27+ million dollars to "poach" Lanning is an amount that few successful programs may be willing to layout for a young, promising, upward trajectory; yet still on-the-job learning and not yet championship proven Head Coach.  Oh he will get there for sure but not there just yet.

For whatever illogical reasons I hold on to, I am feeling fairly confident that Dan Lanning will still be coaching the Oregon Ducks long after the "noise" of the coaching carousel  dies down.  The "noise" will never completely go away because of the Quality of coaching personnel that Oregon is now attracting.  We we lose coaches and personnel as they each pursue their own professional goals,  but I always remember this axiom:  "The grass is Not always greener on the other side."

I hope and pray that Dan Lanning knows this also.  

GO DUCKS! 🦆

The Twitter/X/News/Keyboard Investigators right now:

agitatedcunt.gif.2c832c18cb315a35253ca82a17fef3f8.gif

Last note...apparently there is more to Dan Lanning's contract than we realized.  By winning 10 games, it is now automatically extended to 2029 and receiving 9.2 million that year.  There is also deferred compensation of an undisclosed amount that would bump his annual current salary up from the seven million.

And it is rumored there is NIKE stock involved that becomes his when he stays a given amount of time?

• Wow 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/11/2024 at 8:21 AM, candyduck said:
On 1/11/2024 at 7:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My money's on Deion!  Now wouldn't that be hilarious!?  Wonder how fast that program would implode with him around!!

Well, he has already teamed with Saban....

AFLAC!

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:32 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Well, he has already teamed with Saban....

AFLAC!

I was thinking the same thing but decided not to include that part of it!!  Think the duck has a better chance to go than Deion!

This just in, and it is a fact, I slept extremely well last night. All other information and sources are questionable, at best.

200w.gif

Some jobs you can only say no to once?

Found this on the bama message board... Dan's announcement video that everyone should see!

• Mic drop 1

I say he ain't going to Tuscaloosa. And it will be yet another data point in the ongoing collapse of all the entrenched narratives about college football, about the so-called blue bloods, the top jobs, the path every coach must follow.

There are now more places to succeed than the Paul FInebaum world view wants to acknowledge. Oregon is one of them and Lanning knows it. He has a place where he can create his own legacy, instead of having to live up to someone else's achievements. Alabama is no longer the holy grail; coaches can say thanks, but I've got my own deal going.

So, I say Lanning is staying. Unless I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This reinforces what ABNMoose just put up

Dan Lanning announces that he won't be leaving Oregon for Alabama

The past 24 hours have been pretty hectic for Oregon Duck fans, as rumors about their head coach potentially leaving started to swirl once again.

With Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban announcing his retirement, the immediate thought was that Lanning, Oregon’s second-year coach, would be one of the top candidates to replace him. However, a new report from 247Sports’ Matt Zenitz on Thursday morning shows that Lanning intends to stay in Eugene for the immediate future, passing on the Alabama job.

Not long after, Lanning himself posted a video to social media confirming that he would stay in Eugene.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning will not be leaving Eugene for the head coaching job at Alabama.

Dan Lanning staying at Oregon, will not be Nick Saban's replacement at Alabama

Alabama's next head coach will not be Dan Lanning.

Lanning, who has been a popular name as a potential heir apparent to Nick Saban, is staying at Oregon, sources tell 247Sports.

Reports Wednesday night that Lanning was in Tuscaloosa were inaccurate.

At the time the reports were coming out about him being in Tuscaloosa, Lanning was in Eugene watching a Jason Bourne movie with his family, per sources.

Lanning just finished his second season at Oregon. He's posted a 22-5 record with the Ducks, including a 12-2 record this year.

247SPORTS.COM

Alabama's next head coach will not be Dan Lanning.

PHEW!!  Duck fans everywhere singing Happy Days!  Future is bright moving forward!  Thanks Coach Dan for being true to who you are!

Thank you Oregon and Phil Knight planning the future:

(Charles) - Last note...apparently there is more to Dan Lanning's contract than we realized.  By winning 10 games, it is now automatically extended to 2029 and receiving 9.2 million that year.  There is also deferred compensation of an undisclosed amount that would bump his annual current salary up from the seven million.

And it is rumored there is NIKE stock involved that becomes his when he stays a given amount of time?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What an excellent way to announce.

At the end it would have been great if he was at a table with 2 hats in front of him and tossed the A into the trash.

• Haha 3
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2024 at 9:25 AM, Steven A said:

At the end it would have been great if he was at a table with 2 hats in front of him and tossed the A into the trash.

Or two hats... that were just different version of an Oregon hat... one green and one yellow...

• Like 1

247 reports that Lanning is remaining a Duck, and he reported being home when CBS Sports said he was in Tuscaloosa.

"I have lived in eight different states. I'm tired of moving, right? You've got to change, like, license and all that stuff, all the time. It's not fun and probably even less fun for my wife. So we love Oregon. It's been everything that we wanted. We get to coach great players and be around great people, and it makes a lot of sense for us." Lanning

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

THAT is how you squash a coaching rumor!!

• Thumbs Up 1

dan-lanning-ducks.gif

Take that, Alabama! Big fat NO!

On 1/11/2024 at 9:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Last note...apparently there is more to Dan Lanning's contract than we realized.  By winning 10 games, it is now automatically extended to 2029 and receiving 9.2 million that year.  There is also deferred compensation of an undisclosed amount that would bump his annual current salary up from the seven million.

The NIKE stock option could be quite the incentive to stay long term. College football really is turning into big a corporation, complete with employee stock based compensation. Big corporations have been doing this for a long time to attract and keep the best talent, guess it makes sense for football now.

How long before top QB prospects are getting a Nike stock option? Might be just the incentive to locking down the best players as well.

Football is going fully corporate.🤢🤮

• Go Ducks! 1

UW fans suddenly got a lot more nervous-er!!

Screenshot_20240111-093939.png.1ff7ac7fa72976d1ba6d9d2943378ccb.png

• Haha 1

It seems now the top 3 candidates are DeBoer, Norvell, and current Alabama OC Tommy Rees as they are all reported to be scheduled to interview soon (if not already).

I just checked the Fuskie forums, they're pooping their pampers over there lol

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, kirklandduck said:

It seems now the top 3 candidates are DeBoer, Norvell, and current Alabama OC Tommy Rees as they are all reported to be scheduled to interview soon (if not already).

I just checked the Fuskie forums, they're pooping their pampers over there lol

This might be a good time for Norvell to find employment elsewhere a la Chip in 2013.

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/football/report-fsu-football-expected-to-be-sanctioned-by-ncaa-for-nil-violations

• Yikes! 1