Charles Fischer

Ruh-Roh! Saban Just Made it WORSE

As if it was not going to be hard enough for a coach to follow Nick Saban...it just went up a few notches.  While driving to the office from an appointment--I heard on Colin Cowherd that Saban is going to "remain at the university for some time" after he passes the baton.

So a new coach has to duplicate what the best college coach ever has done AND begin his time at Alabama with the legend looking over his shoulder? Saban is still going to be on campus, and thus his shadow will remain in everyone's view.  

A new coach has to have full attention on him from the team, without any distractions.  Think Nick hanging around would bother you if you were the new coach?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Boy, Dan dodged a big one.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Nick, welcome to the shadow world of John Wooden!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hummm, the Barry Alvarez treatment.  

We know how well that turned out.

Would be nice to see 'Bama as Wisc 2.0

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But, Nick seems like such a jolly fellow to have hanging around.

• Haha 3

Byrne could just shorten this process real quickly if he would name Miss Terry as coach, and have her hire Nick as one of those infamous SEC analyst staffers.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Nick, welcome to the shadow world of John Wooden!

Gene Bartow followed Wooden, went 52-9 over two seasons, and was gone. 

Still, Bartow paid the Oregon Duck fans one of the greatest compliments in Duck fan history when he called us "Deranged Idiots." That was a total hit and we proudly wore that moniker.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Love some of these takes

Nick Saban departs CFB with the same gravitas John Wooden took with him from UCLA.

He was far from the only one responsible. but he goosed CFB broadcast money and viewership like no one else other than maybe, Pete Carroll. This led to the CFB world we live in today which, ironically, is a significant reason why Saint Nick is saying goodbye. When he was younger although he beefed about it, he hired Kiffin, recruited a platoon of great WRs and QBs, and won titles. How many coaches could have made this adjustment? How many coaches could have taken the 2023 team to the Rose Bowl?

I am so happy Dan is staying and best of luck to the guy relacing the GOAT.

Two weeks maximum. Then we’re changing the locks.

• Haha 1

Yikes, who would want that 100 foot shadow hovering over them all around campus?

His replacement should be announced tomorrow. Jimmy Sexton was filmed on campus today, so it’s either Norvell or DeBoer. My hunch is Norvell since he’s been silent and De Boer is scheduled for a radio interview tomorrow morning with a local Seattle station.

Norvell would make a ton of sense in terms of someone who would bolt.  I'm sure he's pissed off at not getting into the playoffs this year, he won't have a squad as good as he had this year, there was a report just a few hours ago where the program is going on probation, his OC is suspended for 3 games, and they have to disassociate from their main NIL collective due to a violation of a coach brining a recruit to meet with a booster who then proposed an NIL deal.  

That violation seems a bit baloney since we all know players are being recruited based on NIL deals, it seems you just can't have a school official actually bring a recruit to a booster to then propose the deal.  It's like you could just have a booster "run" into a recruit and then propose a deal, but you can't actually have the school bring the two together to then make the deal.  Just seems silly since you know all of these players who transfer or commit know what they are getting before the sign up, at least that's what I would assume.

Report: DeBoer, Norvell, Rees prominent candidates for Alabama opening

WWW.THESCORE.COM

Trending News & Rumors for Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer & More

The Nick Saban I knew some 50 years ago as a player and college student in my class was actually a  quiet, humble, and reflective guy who would not inject himself into another's business unless his advice and council was solicited. 

Whether he is anything close to that guy after 7 national titles and achieving the designation as GOAT of college football coaches is another matter, but we psychologists know that fundamental aspects of ''core personality don't change radically over the years for most people. Thus, I suspect that Saban would meet with the new coach, impress upon him that this program was now his to run, and stress that he would not be expressing any opinions unless they were requested. 

Still, it will be hard for the new guy not to think about who he is replacing  and not have this knowledge affect him in some way. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be that guy, but if I were, you can bet that I would soak up every bit of knowledge that I could from the guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

My hunch feels Norvell or Sark over Deboer.   And it comes down to recruiting.  

With the news shared today the Bama NIL is not turnkey for the new coach via leaning on Bama and the name Saban basically recruiting itself, it feels they want/need a proven recruiter.  Not just high schoolers but portal guys, and a guy to retain existing Bama players.

Deboer is not even in the same ballpark as the other 2 despite the wins.

Edited by AllOregon

DeBoer would do great the first few years since he is great at winning with other coach’s players.

Some coaches may welcome Nick's guidance.   But it will be hard coming into a program like that, highly paid no doubt, and still have to watch for that shadow.  On the other hand, having Nick around may help retain and recruit players too.   So it really depends on who is the new HC...