Notalot

Loyalty Goes Both Ways

During the shuffle of Head Coaches this week, like many of you, I consumed a great amount of college football media and social media.

As reference points for me, I have lived thirty-five miles from Clemson University for 13 years. I was born in Eugene and attended UO, but I had become a Ducks fan earlier during my first football game at Hayward Field in 1960. I am passionate for and dedicated to Oregon sports.

The area in which I live is populated by fans dedicated to Clemson Football. There was great national, regional, and local attention, speculation, and conversations last week about Clemson and Dabo Swinney. There was more attention this week  than I’ve ever before seen in this region on the Oregon Ducks and Dan Lanning. Coach Lanning is highly respected, and has shed a glow and spotlight on Oregon  for the first time in the Southeast.

Dabo became Clemson’s HC in 2008. He led Clemson teams to twelve consecutive seasons with 12 or more wins, including two with 14 wins and one with 15 wins. Clemson won two national championships with Dabo at the helm.

The Swinney’s have created and oversee a large charitable foundation supporting breast cancer which Kathleen  herself battled and beat. Mrs. Swinney owns several successful businesses. The Swinney’s have raised their children in Clemson. The Swinney’s are local legends and will leave a legacy in Clemson, at Clemson University and across the Southeast U.S. sports world.

Clemson football struggled this year into the middle of the season. It had a first time starting QB. The team suffered injuries early in the season. The team was bit by the turnover bug and led the nation in give-aways at one point. Even with Dabo Swinney’s stellar record, national championships, and celebrity upstate South Carolina status many fans quickly turned against him. Social media and talk radio blazed with criticism and second guessing of Dabo. It was apparent that Dabo was hurt by the turn of fickle fans.

Dabo Swinney grew up in Alabama. He played football and graduated from the University of Alabama. Nick Saban was his coaching colleague and friend. If ever there was a job that he could leave Clemson for it would have conceivably been Head Coach at Alabama.

When it most seemed that he might leave Clemson the fan base was appalled and fearful. Some of the same crowd that was ready mid season to run him out of town were championing him as the GOAT of Clemson football coaching. Dabo is entrenched and loyal to Clemson, but as he considered the Alabama position he must have felt the sting from cheap shots over the season. Dabo is tough, but human.

I’ve thought a lot about loyalty and priorities this week. I remembered bad decisions made in my own life and some others by friends and colleagues. I thought about these two great men, their staffs, families, friends, and fans.

Dan Lanning openly shared about his priorities and motivators. He loves his family and takes the responsibilities of fatherhood very seriously. Lanning has smelled the roses of Oregon, the UO, and his position. Lanning declared his loyalty and expressed his desire to continue to be a key cog in the University of Oregon’s sports program (sic).

As fans, we must remember Dan Lanning’s loyalty and his humanism in the future. When a game is lost it is important to be humble and respectful, and not cut down players, play calls, coaches with harsh and disrespectful taunts within the stadium or on social media. 

Dabo could easily have left for Alabama after surveying the disrespect and drama he endured. A lesser man may have left with a “touché”. He didn’t.

Coach Lanning will build a football monster. He will likely coach more big wins than any Oregon coach before him. Big wins over ranked and highly ranked opponents. As Ducks fans let us give Lanning respect and space. I would hate for him to ever feel the rub of disappointment that Dabo wrestled with.

Going forward, I am expecting the day when a playoff or OOC game includes Oregon Ducks versus Clemson Tigers.

Daniel against Dabo. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 8
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

I wrote this went MC left us. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Loyalty for aspiring top-tier programs is dead in College Football. The desire for loyalty is commendable and...

but you're right loyalty goes both ways. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Notalot, I know you well, and you are now and will always be a far more noble man than Mr. FishDuck.  While you hope Oregon fans will not turn negative sometime as Clemson fans did...I am very convinced of the reality of human nature because...

We will.

I've seen it often in the 12 years of the two Oregon sites of FishDuck.com and the Our Beloved Ducks Forum, and I expect it in the future.  Fans pledge lifelong allegiance to Chip Kelly, and when he leaves, they get huffy-in-a-hurry. Fans who declare that Mario Cristobal is GOAT at recruiting for Oregon, will boo him in the stadium versus Cal a few years later. Oregon fans who KNOW that Mark Helfrich is bringing a new era to Oregon after a 'Natty appearance want him fired two years later.

I am as fickle as the rest.  As one of the almighty's imperfect children...I am a sinner who makes ongoing mistakes that I have to atone for in public at least once a year on this forum.  And I made the rules...how nuts is that?  We all do it, as we all screw up.  That is why I am quite willing to give grace to those who make an error with our rules, if they will give me the same grace when I mess up.

To ask people to not repeat the mistakes of Tiger fans is noble....but unrealistic, but we love you for the sentiment.

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

That's all fine and good but, in my opinion, he would have left for Bama if offered.  

On 1/13/2024 at 10:55 PM, Utki said:

That's all fine and good but, in my opinion, he would have left for Bama if offered.  

Lanning may not have been offered the job because one usually has to interview before an offer is extended. The big question is…was Lanning offered an interview? The only thing we all know for sure is that his agent was contracted by Greg Byrne to gauge his interest in the job. Nobody knows when it happened. We only know that DL released a video that stated he was staying at Oregon. I highly doubt that Greg Byrne planned on interviewing only DeBoer. I’m quite sure that he did his due diligence and asked other coaches to interview.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the greatest gifts The Almighty gave Adam and Eve was the right to choose, coupled with consequences for their choices.

He gave them one simple rule; dont partake of the forbidden fruit. Obey that rule and enjoy the benefits of all available in the Garden of Eden. Break that rule, be banished from Eden and suffer the consequences of the harsh world.

However, forgiveness was made available for those who are truly sorry.

Charles has a few simple rules for OBDF mrmbers that are governed by simply being respectful of and to others. Forgiveness is available to those who understand how the rule was broken and work to not repeat the violation.

This Forum is very unique and special. It thrives from the respect we give to each other to share our thoughts and feelings, in a safe place.

Each of us carries our own feelings and different views, juiced up with passion, joy, anger and ample liquid courage. Fully knowing we are safe to openly express ourselves in a respectful way.

We have the freedom to choose to follow or break the rules. Consequences, good or bad may follow. No they will follow......

Notalot, that was a great post filled with passion embedded in a lifetime of experience. OBDF is better from your post.

However, Sir Charles is right that the reality of human nature will rear up its ugly head. Fans will boo when performance is poor and does not meet their expectation. Coach DL will most likely hear the boos.

But he also has the freedom to choose how he handles those chorus of boos. Or those calling for his firing.

Members of this Forum crossed the line over the first 3 point loss in 2023 to those bastardos up north. But Charles forgave them. Our flawed leader understands the value of forgiveness.

Let me give you an example of an unforgiveable sin. Last year my business schedule had me out of town. That evening I was out to dinner with 2 customers and their lovely wifes.

While waiting for our food I noticed how nicely dressed my customers were and the many other couples in the restaurant. I spoke out loud and asked why everyone was dressed so nice?

One of the wives said it's Valentines Day. I dropped my head in shame. The other wife said you have plenty of time to get a card and gift at the mall.  She was trying to comfort me.

I said that was the least of my concerns. After 18 years together my wife finally proposed marriage, darn it took her long enough. She thought it would be a great idea to get married on VDay so I wouldn't' forget our wedding anniversary. We met on VDay, got married on VDay 7 years ago and today was our 25th anniversary of our first everything.

Everyone was silent! One of the guys said to call her, wish her Happy Anniversary, Happy Valentines Day and ask for forgiveness for forgetting.

Both wives said that would be a good start but not enough.

One of the wives asked me what I thought the statute of limitations for forgiveness was on such a inexcusable action?

I said I simply didn't know!

She said " Not in this lifetime or the eternal lifetime."

Well I said I am sure God would forgive me.

She said " God is to wise to interfere between a husband and wife. He didn't interfere with Adam and Eve, he let them suffer the consequences of their actions."

The other wife said " Pretty certain God will forgive you. But you will still suffer the consequences of your actions"

Boy those ladies were sure right!

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't know this, but I have a strong feeling Lanning was contacted by Alabama to Gage his interest. Just as i'm sure he'll be contacted next year if Florida, Ohio State, or USC are looking for new guys. Neither side will admit this of course. It doesn't make either look great.

It makes the big time program lose shine if they can't swipe anybody they want. It makes the coach look like a mercenary. Will successful coaches get called? Yes. Will the coach take the call? Yes.

It's precisely due to the fact that once you have success, you have to live up to that. You have to realize your job is never safe. Look at Dabo, the guy is the legacy coach at Clemson. Two years of not making the playoff, and he's skewered. Two years!!!

Ryan Day has won 11 games every year (excluding the weird 2020 season). A year ago he had a team that should have won the whole thing. Now he is on the hot seat. The hot seat!!! That's expectations only Saban has been able to live up to.

Sure these dudes make bank, but college football is a much tougher gig today, with transfers, NIL, opt outs. Loyalty means nothing, and the sooner fans understand that they may have loyalty to one school. Players are looking to make a living in a very physically demanding gig. Coaches are as well, and everyone would jump at a job offer that gives them more benefits, better pay, and a greater chance to provide a better life for their family.

I love people with high morals, loyalty to one's family, friends, coworkers. But the business side of me would kick myself if I turned down a chance to make more money , and allow me to retire at a younger age. That doesn't mean you stab anyone in the back either.

You can be a good honest person who does whatever it takes to give yourself a better life. Just be honest about it. Oregon has the means to get into a better conference, which means it can pay to keep a better coach. Some say they weren't loyal to the Pac_12, but it was really a no brainer. Feelings were hurt, but Oregon had to do what secured a better future for itself.

I think most of us agree with that. Outside of the travel, it's a better product for us as fans.

Edited by Sunshine Larry
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

We will turn on Lanning if he doesn't live up to what we believe he is. He is building himself up to a pretty lofty place, so it will happen. It already happened with some of his calls. So many have claimed he is brilliant beyond compare, and that was questioned. Even his less than immediate repudiation of Alabama made some question his unwavering commitment.

Lanning will turn on us if we don't live up to what we have made ourselves out to be. We have built a pretty amazing program, and continue to support our athletic programs like few universities. Lanning hasn't turned on us in any shape or form! We are fortunate, we have a loyal guy who wants what we have created, who we are.

This thing we have with the football program isn't like marriage, for better or worse, and I hope HappytobeaDuck was able to rally after his epic mistake! What we have is a lucky situation.

Let me define luck, as many might mistake this as I am referencing dumb luck. We are lucky because we are in the right situation, at the right time. The right situation was created by a lot of effort. The Oregon fanbase we are part of built a winning program, Phil Knight came in supported even more winning with expert guidance unlike any program in the nation.

The right time is what we are living in right now. We have the support, and this coach, and we the fanbase are alive and healthy enough to enjoy it. What I am saying is we need to truly enjoy this moment in time. We have a coach who is extremely talented and gives us a chance to win it all. We need to be cognizant that this is the dumb luck part and relish it.

From my experience dumb luck is often ruined, while the luck you receive by much effort grows. Let's keep putting effort into supporting our Ducks, and Dan Lanning who is Oregon Football. Let's question things which don't add up, but in a respectful way. Understand, like HTBEADuck, mistakes can be made. We truly have something special, and lets more than embrace it, lets nurture it so we can better enjoy what is to come in the next few years.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Again...what is the purpose of this forum?  It is to discuss Oregon sports, especially football.  That means we share our opinions on the numerous negative events that happen over time, and that is part of what we do.  We cannot get personal with the current coaches or current players, but we can certainly call out their coaching decisions, (Take the damn points!) or do critical analysis and be negative about player performance.  

Former players and coaches?  Other journalists or players, coaches, ADs at other places?  Fair game, and you can go-for-it.

But I do not want anyone to feel that they now cannot criticize Dan Lanning when he makes an error.  Not only do I permit it, I encourage it.  We give credit where due, and grief where deserved as that is what doing your own critical analysis is.

Lanning_Eric Evans of GoDucks.com.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

We can be grateful, and critical at the same time. I just lean toward the grateful side, and think we are in a unique moment in time.

I also know when we take a moment when we are upset, and ask questions rather than attack we don't always regret what we initially want to do. I do agree pointed questions, and spirited analysis only makes us sharper, and more knowledgeable. 

We should all try and step back and be Columbo, if anyone remembers this character, rather than the many pundits and popular figures we see now spouting off. All I am saying, by the way, I love how Columbo rolled!

Unknown.jpeg

• Salute 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He was the best at coming in the back door to catch his prey. Never missed an episode. Thanks Hay for that moment back in time.

• Like 1

The women often right based on their track records. Thanks.

On 1/13/2024 at 7:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

To ask people to not repeat the mistakes of Tiger fans is noble....but unrealistic, but we love you for the sentiment.

Not unrealistic to ask, unrealistic to expect everyone to follow the advice.

As a pastor, for over 40 years, I ask people to do the right thing every week, but almost no one does. ALMOST no one... but SOMEBODY does.

Notalot doesn't expect everyone to heed what he says, but it is noble (as you say) to say it.

It is reasonable that some will be affected by the story and realize that we can be loyal even when things go temporarily south.

I applaud Notalot and join in his plea for patience and loyalty. Patience and loyalty is reasonable over the short term, especially when there are underlying reasons for temporary setbacks (injuries, rookie QBs, etc.)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Personally, I'm trying hard not to take any of this "outta my control" stuff too much to heart. Literally, doing that is hard on the heart AND the brain, physically, literally.

If coach had left or not, my mantra should remain the same: outta my control, not my problem. Immediately I was ready to look at possible coaches who might be available and what the pros/cons of each. I wasn't going to moan, groan, gnash my teeth, cry, etc., becoming an unpleasantly unhappy chap. 

All of us have to live our lives dictated by what is best for the individual and loved ones that will give that individual the best opportunity to succeed by whatever metric any of us might apply. Coach Lanning, the players, the staff, the fans, etc., all of us in any given situation.

Decisions might be made for the most selfish or altruistic reasons. But it should be dictated by the weighing of any and possibly all factors.

And unless it is my decision, decisions can be outta my control. I'm trying to choose neutrality because the opposite is more heinous than just accepting what is for the fact in the matter. 

Plus I'm dealing with now ingrained anger control issues, depression, and negativity that is not who I want to be. I can't change what is past but I might extend my present equanimity into the future. Which is much more healthy for myself and those with whom I interact.

But that's just me. We each and every one of us have our own trip, may it be long and strange, to the measure of each. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2

Fans, especially those that go to the effort of participating in forums like this, are passionate, and passionate people who go through ups and downs like Oregon fans have are going to have a wide range of emotions and reactions.  I personally allow for that and don't mind seeing people react in different ways (within the bounds of reasonableness and decorum per rules such as those Charles has created). 

Regarding the recent saga re Lanning and Alabama, that was a rough one for Duck fans because we've clearly lived through more than our share of that sort of drama in recent years.  It's hard to blame anyone for their reactions.  In the end Lanning doubling down on his commitment is not only a dodged bullet in terms of the potential loss of yet another coach, but a huge positive to be excited about. 

I've lived in Salt Lake for decades since graduating from Oregon, and I believe that the continuity of the coaching staff the Utes have enjoyed has been a huge factor in their success.  Lanning is a great coach and having him around for the foreseeable future give us a chance to build something for a sustained stretch in a way we haven't been able to do for quite a while. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you, Sir Notalot. A very timely take. We live in a wired world. What you did for me yesterday, unfortunately, has little or no bearing on what are doing for me today. Especially, when you are being paid $10M a year to win football games. High expectations follow this kind of money. And with (un)Social Media, everyone from Mensa to cretin gets to toss in their 2 cents.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Bama AD Greg Byrne reached out to DL, Sark, and likely Kiffin before hiring DeBoer. Nick's leaving resulted in new deals for Sark and Kiff. I also expect that Byrne spoke with Dabo's agent who told Byrne that Dabo is not leaving what he built at Clemson to try to maintain what Saban did at Bama. How can any coach improve upon Saban's record?

Bama last suffered 3 losses in the 2010 season when The Tide went 10-3. Bama made the 4-Team Invitational in 8 out of 10 seasons. And the Bama schedule with OK and TX joining the SEC will only be more difficult. And Bam no longer plays 4 cupcakes OOC. In 2025 Bama plays both Wisconsin and FSU.

Dabo resurrected the Clemson program doing it his way. Dabo the coach is not as great with an average QB instead of an NFL-ready QB.  And the NFL-ready QBs had NFL-bound WRs to throw to. What's new? The concern I hear from Clemson fans down south here in South Carolina is whether Dabo's reluctance to pick the portal is hurting the program. 

After a 4-4 start, Clemson won 5 straight games, including a great bowl victory over Kentucky where 42 combined points were scored in the 4th quarter. Next season Clemson has the 'privilege' of opening against Georgia in Atlanta and trips to FSU. But I believe that Clemson will win the ACC and receive a 1st round playoff bye or make the field seeded somewhere between 5-11. 

Dabo walked on at Bama and went on to be an all-SEC DB.

Thanks gain, Not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Especially, when you are being paid $10M a year to win football games.

And if you are lucky enough, be paid that much not to coach a team.  Right Jimbo?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1