Charles Fischer

Oregon vs. Creighton GameDay Thread!

Let’s discuss it!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thankfully Creighton has started ice cold from three...with a lot of open looks.  Let's hope it stays that way.

Creighton significantly better than USC

Shelstad's turn to get hot, I would like to see him drive a little more and keep up the intensity.

Might really need a game from Tracy.

Edited by MicroBurst61

Definitely feels like swimming upstream, everything is a struggle.

Rebounding is killing us.

Announcers just said 12 points on 6 offensive rebounds.

Ok, now 14 points on 7 offensive rebounds.

There have been a lot of long rebounds on their like 15 three points attempts but still ugh!

Couisnard stepping up again. 

So many missed open threes by Creighton.  Basketball gods must be a smiling on OBD...for now.

Can't count on them missing from 3 all game, need to step up the D.

Coulda, shoulda, been a whole lot worse.  Time to make some adjustments at halftime.  Let's Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

C'mon guys, what's the frippin score?

34-36 Creighton at the half.

Edited by Dave23
Messed up the score

Not a bad half.  I’ll take being within two points.  Keeping Couisnard and Dante on the floor is critical.  Hopefully the Bluejays continue to struggle shooting.  As others above stated though, we certainly can’t expect that to happen.

Go Ducks!!!

Funny moment with Dana and the two starting freshman. Getting some words of wisdom I'm sure.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:53 PM, Dave23 said:

34-36 Creighton at the half.

Thanks!!!

46-47 Creighton 11 minutes in 2nd.

Edited by Dave23

I don't watch the regular season. Is there anybody on our team beside Cuisinart and Dante that can score a field goal? Anybody?

I'm just waiting for Creighton to pop a couple 3s and put the game out of reach.

Yes plenty but why bother. They've all had some good games thru the season: Tracy, Shelstad, Evans, and even Rigsby and Oquindo.

Couisnard must really want to get into the NBA, killing it.

How in the heck has Oregon not attempted one free throw?

Something smells...

Dante is a stud.

Nuff sed.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dante is the man!  22 points, 17 rebounds so far, and great defense!

Edited by SoGaDawg

Dadgum... Not happy about OT. These guys look tired.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great game, 6 points either way is the largest lead. Come out attacking halftime and step up the D.

This is insane....errr...madness!

• Thumbs Up 1

Really hurts not having your PG out there to go get the ball with 27 seconds left 

Also an 86 percent FT shooter. Again, ugh!

Couisnard!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Cousinard 3 is a start.

Round 2 coming up!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

Holy Smokes!!!  This is crazy, I love it!

Lets Go Ducks!!!

It doesn't get better than this! Nows the time to finish this Go Ducks!

Edited by Dave23
  • Applause 1

And still no free throws... Dante has been the only one to take a charity shot, right?

Edited by woundedknees

The ducks are so tired they can barely move. Hard fought game proud of them.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They were playing better when I didn't know the score.  Oh well.

I am so proud of this team. There was no more gas in the tank. They played such a wonderful game, Their defense was spectacular. If only Cousinard could have gotten the shot at the end of regulation but playing in OT was just a bridge too far. They have so much heart. I will truly miss and treasure this team. They are very special. There are a million what ifs. What if Biddle could have come back, what if Batholomy hadn't got hurt but they don't matter and can't take away from this team's effort. Loved the journey, hated the end.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Outstanding game!  Tough loss, but the Ducks represented Oregon extremely well! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They finished empty. You can’t ask for more.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great Game!, still need better shooting.

Blew it, don’t inbound to Dante please.

I don’t usually cry about the refs, but 5 free throw attempts in a double OT? Dante was fouled at least 10 times.

Great run though, lot of heart!

No one on this team blew it in any way. They were just worn out and when that happens you can't make your shots or make quick responses. I agree about the refs though. It seems strange that the ducks had so few free throws although there were very few fouls in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Team just ran out of gas. Maybe a wild statement (given he wasn't having a big offensive game); but, I think Oregon closes in regulation without the (unfortunate and somewhat freaky) injury to Shelstad.

I'm sure to a Creighton fan that very well might sound like sour grapes but I think there are several things Shelstad provides, even in an off shooting night, that closes out that kind of game that weren't easily replaced.

Hats off to the guys for playing their hearts out in a very entertaining game.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 5

What a great game!  Left it all on the floor.  Can’t be upset about anything. 

28 and 20 is insane. 

just needed one more play and couldn’t get it. Outstanding effort. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/23/2024 at 9:50 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

No one on this team blew it in any way. They were just worn out and when that happens you can't make your shots or make quick responses. I agree about the refs though. It seems strange that the ducks had so few free throws although there were very few fouls in the game.

Up by 4, with the ball and under a minute to go? Not sure what else to call that,

Like I said, played with a lot of heart, really needed to not have half of our 8 players score zero, just not quite enough firepower.

Couisnard set an all time conference scoring record (that was about 50 years old), and Dante was incredible. Great run.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh man... so darn close. Another nice late season run after such a tough and challenging year. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I noted in the second half that the Ducks were working their as--s off shutting off the 3-point shot and told by good Duck buddy that if they can continue this effort they'd win the game. 

This is one factor I think, I think that contributed to their running out of gas in OT. This is hardly a criticism on my part for the Ducks had little choice; otherwise Creighton may well have shot them out of the arena.

This Duck team was a pleasant surprise.; It was hard NOT to get caught up in the late season momentum, particularly the thrilling run to the PAC-12 championship This was hardly the most talented team around but certainly a damn gritty one. My hat is off to them.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hats off to the Ducks. Winners of the last Pac-12 CBB Tournament. 

Go Bluejays, take own the Vols.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now is not the time for any season or career long evaluation of this team or it's players.  To the Ducks credit they played two games very much in the moment and that's exactly what we asked them to do.

Unfortunately, you can't beat a team like Creighton with one play and without Shelstead that's what we were down to.  Once Creighton started to double team Couisnard and Dante had to handle the ball in the middle of the court things became disrupted. And we just had no counter for it.

It's unfortunate that we had no production from others.  Evans looked like a freshman. I would have liked to see Grigsby take some shots if only to loosen things up a bit and possibly get Dante some offensive boards.  Although Dante did clean up some Couisnard misses.

No one can question this team's heart.  If couisnard's last shot falls we get some rest and get to do it all over again. I was super unhappy to see overtime and knew we were gassed for the double.  And then Creighton attacked. We started to have slumped shoulders and dejected looks.

For the most part Dana's plan worked. They're a high tempo, fast, high scoring team.  And until overtime it was exactly the mid to lower scoring game that we needed. Unfortunately, we haven't won too many games where they score 80+

It was obvious that the tournament would be taxing for us.  Our lack of depth was always going to be a problem.  It's what killed us in this game.

I'm going to miss N'faly Dante very much.  When healthy and able to play he is a legendary Oregon player.  The last two seasons he became my favorite big man since Arselan Kazemi (who was only our center because we didn't have a true BIG man.  But boy could he play!) Dante was that true center that was our achilles heel for so many years.

More than anything in this game I didn't want the Ducks to get blown out.  You don't ever want the other team to be able to say, "See, you should have stayed here." 

Creighton's arena seats 17,000 and it's usually fuller and louder than MKA.  I know Dana's been frustrated at times with the lack of crowd in Eugene.  But I've really paid attention to crowd size in the non-Oregon games I've watched this season.  It's not just a Eugene thing.  Sure, there's a few places that have a big, loud crowd no matter what.  But for the most part the MKA audience hasn't been an embarrassment in any way.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1