HDuck

Should Oregon Play Osu Every Season?

There is sentiment that the Ducks and Beavers should play every season due to rivalry/tradition, but lately I'm not so sure.

Set aside for a moment the 2024 scheduling fiasco, and the Pac2 money grab which shouldn't be rewarded, because there is another reason.

That reason is schedule variation and recruiting.

Let's compare two Big Ten teams that each play 9 conference games.  Here are their last 10 seasons and their primary non-conference opponent:

Ohio State:  Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Oregon, Cincinnati, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Va Tech, Va Tech, Cal

Iowa: Iowa State, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU, ISU - a couple of those years they also played Pitt

ISU also plays 9 conference games in the Big12.   Which of those 3 do you think gets more mileage in recruiting outside their home state from their schedule?

Wouldn't both Oregon and Oregon State benefit by playing someone else, and elsewhere?   Oregon State may have Cali games with opponents in the Mt. West, but wouldn't they be better off for recruiting by attempting to schedule  Arizona, ASU, Utah, fuskies, etc. instead of Oregon every year?  Likewise, shouldn't Oregon be scheduling teams from Texas, Utah, Arizona rather than OSU?

Perhaps a Ducks/Beavers game every 5 years?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Perhaps we should just make peace with this tradition and move on. The rivalry had some meaning because of Conference standings. Take that away and there isn’t a rivalry. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why? There is nothing for Oregon to gain.

Beavers will never get to next level...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

No. The rosters and the on-field success, what success there has been for both which is not much, will continue to decline. 

Kyle Smith who took WSU to the Tournament left for Stanford. As we know, J. Smith left OSU months ago for Michigan State. WSU Chun left WSU to take over as AD at UW. Certain journalists and other delusional hype artists can tout the Pac 2's opportunities but both OSU and GSU are G5 programs and will end up where they belong in the G5.

The broadcast with CW? Why would Oregon not just a B1G member but a B1G title contender want to play in a small stadium in Corvallis on an afterthought of a network in front of unruly fans? 

I guess if Oregon State agrees to play all of the games in Autzen it might be OK to have OSU fill the G5 spot on the out-of-conference schedule. Michigan does not play E Michigan on the road. Ohio State does not play Kent State on the road. Home games make money for Oregon's neighbors in the range of $8M for every home game. I do hope that soon we will see both the B1G and the SEC playing ten conference games to even the home and away conference games at 5 and 5. With 5 away games, it will be important to play the two OOC games in Autzen. 

Finally, the future B1G schedules are set up to feature UW as Oregon's rival. This is considered to be the case by most Ducks fans before the move to the B1G. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

About as often as we play Fresno State, and only at Autzen.

oac's cut of the gate should be the same as Utah State or New Mexico if they were to visit.  Premium only paid to Boise with no return trip.

In the Big-10?  Start acting like it Rob.

It's stupid, but I would like to see us play WSU every 3 years or so.  Heck, even give them a home game for 2 at Autzen.  oac not so much.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

DC, I love your comment. But big-time B1G schools do not travel to G5 stadia even for 9 and 1.

WSU has the same broadcast issues as OSU and the stadium is tiny and very hard to get to. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2024 at 10:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

DC, I love your comment. But big-time B1G schools do not travel to G5 stadia even for 9 and 1.

WSU has the same broadcast issues as OSU and the stadium is tiny and very hard to get to. 

Sure, my wish is based on the fact that it would really twist the knife in the gut of oac to play in Pullman once every decade yet never visit the urinal bleachers.

I would laugh.

• Haha 1

Call me old school, I've lived in this state my whole life and I feel the Civil War still means something.  Do we have anything to gain by playing the barkrats?  Hell yes, bragging rights for a year!

We'll get plenty of recruiting exposure with our B1G schedule and whomever we schedule for our "premier" out-of-conference opponent.  We currently play a mid-major annually and it might as well be the rodents because that's what they're now relegated to.

I get it, there's a lot of P2 bitterness right now, 5 years from now no one will care.  We'll be established in a Power 2 conference and our annual take will dwarf whatever the Biebers can come up with in the new MWC or whatever becomes of the P2.

The P12 contract was written to include harsh penalties for those who leave the conference.  We left, we're paying the penalty, but we're in a great spot for the long game.

As my late father said when I was going through my divorce, "Keep your mouth shut and take the win".  Some of the best advice I ever got.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2024 at 2:15 PM, noDucknewby said:

Call me old school, I've lived in this state my whole life and I feel the Civil War still means something.  Do we have anything to gain by playing the barkrats?  Hell yes, bragging rights for a year!

We'll get plenty of recruiting exposure with our B1G schedule and whomever we schedule for our "premier" out-of-conference opponent.  We currently play a mid-major annually and it might as well be the rodents because that's what they're now relegated to.

I get it, there's a lot of P2 bitterness right now, 5 years from now no one will care.  We'll be established in a Power 2 conference and our annual take will dwarf whatever the Biebers can come up with in the new MWC or whatever becomes of the P2.

The P12 contract was written to include harsh penalties for those who leave the conference.  We left, we're paying the penalty, but we're in a great spot for the long game.

As my late father said when I was going through my divorce, "Keep your mouth shut and take the win".  Some of the best advice I ever got.

Perfectly understandable POV. But as to penalties being built into the grant of rights.

There was no such agreement, an exit fee to be paid to the conference upon a team leaving the conference when Oregon and the other Pac-10 are leaving. The pledge of media rights expires before any of the Pac-10 officially depart. 

That's why the entire 'settlement' is baffling. It was not a 'settlement' but a total capitulation to the Pac-2. The Pac-2 had not sued the Pac-10 for damages. The Pac-10 agreed to accept their share of liabilities with no share of the assets.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather watch a good game than a blowout like Pst or Montana St type or Liberty. I have no problem playing Osu every year. It's a guaranteed win just like Pst and it's more entertaining. I have a feeling that Osu fans would want to bail before Duck fans do. It's a loss on their schedule every year going forward. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Thumbs Up 2

No.  Some traditions have passed their "use by" date.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lots of good ideas bounce around here.  While the Civil War meant something in the past, that is no longer the case. The Ducks will continue to fly while the Beavs sink slowly into the mud around their den. 

There is no bragging right that beavus is qualified to earn, unless it is with PSU.  If they want to play in Eugene, fine, otherwise strike them from the schedules moving forward.  They don’t deserve to play the Ducks.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly agree with everyone here, the Civil War no longer means what it once meant, plus Washington is a more formidable rival now.

I also want more diverse opponents on our schedules rather than just MWC and Big Sky teams, like, would it hurt to at least play a home and home series game against Alabama, LSU or Florida? I would also mention a random ACC team like Miami or Clemson, but one of them is very likely to become a new Big Ten member someday.

Ik everything can change between now and the next few years, but at least knowing Alabama vs. Oregon could be scheduled to happen would make me die a happy man.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Perfectly understandable POV. But as to penalties being built into the grant of rights.

There was no such agreement, an exit fee to be paid to the conference upon a team leaving the conference when Oregon and the other Pac-10 are leaving. The pledge of media rights expires before any of the Pac-10 officially depart. 

That's why the entire 'settlement' is baffling. It was not a 'settlement' but a total capitulation to the Pac-2. The Pac-2 had not sued the Pac-10 for damages. The Pac-10 agreed to accept their share of liabilities with no share of the assets.

Com'on.

Settlements are just legal decisions minus court related lawyer fees and inability to pay. 

If they sued and took us 10 to court they would have won.

• Yikes! 1

Thanks for all the comments.

As I said, I think both Oregon and Os have more to gain by playing non-conference teams from Utah, Arizona, Texas going forward than they do from playing each other.   It would help both in recruiting because an intra-state game in Oregon which has low, and diminishing, numbers of Div I athletes wouldn't help much.

I think it will continue to be very difficult to get SEC teams to travel (which might enhance recruiting in Florida or Georgia.)  So, to paraphrase Willie Sutton, go where the "money" is, which would be Big12 non-conference opponents in Texas, Arizona, Utah.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:35 PM, Solar said:

Com'on.

Settlements are just legal decisions minus court related lawyer fees and inability to pay. 

If they sued and took us 10 to court they would have won.

Maybe, but would they have won as much?

On 3/27/2024 at 11:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Well Jon, I'm no lawyer but it does seem to me that the "settlement" goes beyond the terms of separation as laid out in the contract.  This leads me to believe that the 10 ex-pats just wanted a clean out without further litigation.

Another consideratioin may be to assuage the consciences of the institutions that collectively buried a century's worth of tradtion in favor of the almighty dollar.

Regardless, what's done is done, it's not going to change and the future for OMD is very bright.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:12 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Maybe, but would they have won as much?

No. They certainly would not have 'won' as much. They did not sue for damages but for administrative relief. The Pac-10 did nothing to damage the Pac-2. The Pac-2 would have no claim for damages against the Pac-10 than they have vs ESPN and Fox. They were not worthy in the opinion of the folks paying the bills, the media, of being members of a Power 4 conference. 

If there was a conspiracy to crater the Pac-12, OSU, and WSU were part of the conspiracy. They were both 'board' members during Larry's tenure and participated in every bad business decision. Including hiring a guy to follow Larry who was also over his head and presented a terrible media deal to the Pac-10. 

As I have posted before, if the Pac-10 files a BK liquidation no way is the Pac-2 receiving 100% of the assets. Want to give OSU and WSU all of the assets, then make them eat all of the liabilities. 

As to a 'guilty conscience?' The Pac-2 both were actively seeking other alternatives. If invited to join the B12 both would have jumped at the chance.

Want to keep playing the Beavers? Fine. But please do not change the facts of the matter. Oregon and the other departing teams did nothing wrong except screw up the timing of their notice of departure. The Pac-10 bent over because management is up of in the ether academicians and not business people. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

NO

• Thumbs Up 1

When Oregon announced it was headed to the B1G, there was a lot of negative energy in the state, much emanating from Salem.

That years Civil War game, in Autzen, was SRO. (Possibly because many thought it might be the last).

It is possible that Oregon felt the need to show goodwill to their "lil' brother", and the good folks in Salem, and so jumped through hoops to help OSU as well as WSU ( they got TTU as a home game). Also, fans seemed to want it.

But there is no reason to continue on a yearly basis. Maybe every 3rd or 4th year, and most always in Autzen.

(While other power house schools don't travel to G5 schools, they also don't have a century+ history of previous rivalry.) Oregon citizens of the entire state deserve to have some type of continuation of the game. Most of us want it, just not yearly.

Also, the disparity between the 2 schools with regards to quality players will only increase. I have to believe it will become much tougher each year for the Beavs to win. They won't want a yearly beat down anymore than we do.

Well, actually, I could maybe handle 13 in a row...1 more than the dawgs!

• Applause 1

Wish some random staff member would make an article discussing Oregon's future schedule options, directly giving Rob Mullens ideas for home and home series' like Bama and LSU. as well as the most important topic, discuss if we should keep playing Oregon State.

Thom...it's not like Mullens needs suggestions.  Schools in the SEC at the top of their pyramid do not want to travel that many time zones.  It's why they would rather have a one-off "neutral site" game in Atlanta or New Orleans.  Maybe, perhaps, possibly if Oregon became the consistently top team in the B1G you might pry them out and into a home-and-home, but otherwise the two-to-tango dance won't include the SEC.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:15 AM, noDucknewby said:

And a wise person once said, "The reason divorces are so expensive is because they're worth it.

In a couple of years the butt hurt aggie crowd will heal enough so that after they have blown thru the current Pac2 settlement they will need cash.

I'm then anticipating that even if the game formerly known as 'Civil War' continues to be played, it will be treated like playing Idaho or Montana and is always held at Autzen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes. A yearly Beaver beatdown to remind them of their status. 

And yes to beatdowns in Reser too.

They need to suffer and suffer in the "best" way imaginable: Beaver beatdowns, home and away! 

And I'm not at all about firing Rob. He seems to have good relations with coach Lanning. Is there info out there saying he's not liked by coaches? I'm not privy....

Way To Go Clemson Tigers!

No more soup for the Pac-Who?

• Applause 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

We'd be doing WSU a favor by allowing them the gift of playing us @ Autzen... every once in a while. 

The only time I want to be remotely near Martin Stadium again is perhaps on my way to Coeur d'Alene or Jackson Hole. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding playing the Beavus again. Allow me to be brief: NO

In fact, if I may expand that ever so slightly: H#%L NO

Thank you.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I am not asking for Mullens to be fired, because if he did one thing right, it was to hire Dan Lanning.

But I do think he needs to answer for these massive blunders before he comes to the fans for more donations…

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/29/2024 at 4:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not asking for Mullens to be fired, because if he did one thing right, it was to hire Dan Lanning.

But I do think he needs to answer for these massive blunders before he comes to the fans for more donations…

Well, if I were to request Mullens a wish, it would be to play Alabama in non-conference play someday and that's it.

But going back to the topic, if we don't wanna play Oregon State anymore but also want to fill our schedule with cupcakes, who should we schedule?