Charles Fischer

OMIGOSH! Lanning Wants to "Retire Here?"

My feathered friends, an article in The Athletic about Dan Lanning was published this morning, and it was superbly researched and written.  In good faith, I cannot copy the whole article, but I will give you a few tasty-tidbits including what is in the title.  I suggest subscribing to this publication and they have a one-dollar per month fee is all this first year.  Tons of great stuff from them...

The article wraps the information about Coach Lanning around the tattoos he got just over a year ago, and what he conveyed to the artist, Alec Turner of Eugene in the process. Turner admitted that never has an Oregon coach come to him for a tat, and this production encompassed Lanning's life to date. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think Dan Lanning Will Leave Oregon? Check the Ink 
by Christopher Kamrani

Excerpts

Trent Figg, head coach at Division III Calvin University in Grand Rapids, Mich., is one of Lanning’s former teammates and roommates. Figg says Lanning hasn’t changed since he’s ascended college football’s coaching ladder. Figg’s scouting report of his friend Dan Lanning (not head football coach Dan Lanning) is succinct:

He’s a social butterfly and the life of the party at all times.
He loves action movies.
He likes to smoke a cigar.
He likes to cook steak on his own stovetop.
He still wears white Nike dress socks to work every day.

“He’s the most loyal person I’ve ever been around,” says Figg. “Like, if you talk about why he stayed in Eugene instead of going to Alabama, he sees the value in how people have invested in him, and he fully believes in himself. He’s a very confident person. And he totally believes in what he has at Oregon.”

Lanning: “Loyalty to me is giving the best you got every day, 10 toes down on the job that you’re responsible for and owning that and realizing success will come from that. I get to live my dream. I get to do exactly what I signed up for and what I’d hoped.”

Dan Lanning: “He drives a minivan around” - Oregon HC Dan Lanning commends  QB Dillon Gabriel for humble qualities

“How cool is that? (Turning down Alabama) That’s who I committed to,” Dillon Gabriel says. That coach is the guy everyone wants for the right reasons. He’s great at connecting with people, he listens, he understands, he can translate that into action from a guy who’s been in it for a long time. Everything he’s said has come to fruition. He just keeps it real, and I think you can appreciate that. He just does the easy things at an elite level. He’s mastered it. That’s exactly why people want him.”

“Dan likes to prove people wrong,” Figg says. “Dan knows he can win a national championship at Oregon, and he wants to show the world he can do it.”

“I love being part of a program that’s proactive,” Lanning says. “They’ve always wanted a great product. This is a place where you can create that.”

But in talking to Lanning, Tat Artist Turner says he felt like the head coach is sold on the life and pace of his hometown. Before Lanning walked out the doors, he told Turner something the artist now fully believes.

“He told me he wanted to retire here,” Turner says.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good gosh my FishDuck Friends, with Dan Lanning...

giphy.gif

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

yes Yes YES!!!🤩  love it Love It LOVE IT!!!😊  QUACK QUAAACK!! 🦆

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Trojan fans are delighted with the

prospect of Lanning long-term...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

A great post, Thank you, Charles. 

Us fans hit the Jackpot and Rob Mullens hit the Powerball with an 'all else is forgiven' hire. And a timely pay increase to boot. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's heartening to know that there's real hope in a long term coaching situation for OBD.  Guys like Saban, Smart, Dabo have been at their schools for years resulting in some serious program stability and with that success at the highest echelons in college football.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Tattoo

5ce81ace-

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 11:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Trojan fans are delighted with the

prospect of Lanning long-term...

giphy.gif

I thought they were convinced we'd be forced to ditch him because he can't win games?

• Haha 1

We find ourselves in rare air fellow flockers 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The longer Coach Lanning and his family stay in Eugene and establish deep roots in the community, the more likely he’s going to stay long term. Similar to Coach Bellotti who reportedly turned down some blue bloods (e.g., USC, tOSU) to stay in Eugene because he didn’t want to uproot his family.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I still recall my first post on the OBD forum about how you would come to love Dan Lanning. Your comments tonight make me realize how I hadn't really stuck my neck out at all. I am overjoyed that Lanning has far exceeded my initial expectations, and the best part is that he is just getting started. Yes, indeed, you've hit the jackpot!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 5

Huh, funny.  I want Dan Lanning to retire here also!  Especially after his first Natty, or two, or three (but getting ahead of myself now).

Welcome to your family "Home" Dan.  Go Ducks!  🦆

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Brooks, Bellotti, and even Helfrich still have places, live in Oregon. A couple of recent coaches may never return and that is just fine.

I think what it shows is Eugene and the University of Oregon is a very attractive place to live.

The most important element is Lanning has the drive, ability to recruit, and the chops to win it all. Our program has the support system in place to help him do that. For that I am excited.

Another tidbit, where does Sagan live now that he is retired, not Tuscaloosa, left pretty quick. Actually left the state pretty quick.

Oregon is a place to grow up, live and retire. I always love going on vacation, but am equally excited to come home. My bet, most don't feel that way.

Picked this photo, a sunrise, as the sun is just rising on Lannings era!

images.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ever since Dan Lanning gave his "Do you have goals?" speech, I thought of a couple goals he might have:

1) at least 410 NCAA football wins as a coach (that would put him past Joe Paterno). 

2) at least 8 NCAA football National Championships as a coach (which would put him past Nick Saban).

Anybody else have a goal or two that Dan Lanning might like??

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Haywarduck.

That is a rather pretty and very striking photo. That is beautiful country, but if you ever step away from your horse, I would keep an eye out for where you are stepping. I like that photo!

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2024 at 4:51 PM, Jon Sousa said:

1) at least 410 NCAA football wins as a coach (that would put him past Joe Paterno). 

2) at least 8 NCAA football National Championships as a coach (which would put him past Nick Saban).

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/9/2024 at 7:51 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Ever since Dan Lanning gave his "Do you have goals?" speech, I thought of a couple goals he might have:

LOF-TEE!

On 5/9/2024 at 4:51 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I think the reason Lanning is so successful is because his goals go deeper than that. I bet he, unlike Paterno, is extremely concerned about the young men he is taking into his care. 

1.) A coaching tree unlike any other. Head coaches throughout college football and the NFL who can trace their opportunities to Lanning and their Oregon ties.

2.) Responsible citizens throughout the country tied to their time under Lanning's guidance and Oregon's academic experience.

3.) A brotherhood unlike any, where an annual alumni party is held with Duck football players, coaches come back and celebrate what was, what is and what is going to be!

I think the ripple effect of Dan Lanning's days at Oregon are going to go deep and far! Great post and ponder point!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1