FishDuck Article

We Lost Another Duck: Longtime OBD Member and FishDuck Writer...

My fellow OBD Members,

Duck-Buddy, and guest writer Duckster, sent me the article below about three weeks ago for publishing whenever it fit into the schedule.  As always, he and I have had fun and insightful conversations about Our Beloved Ducks over the years, and that phone call was no exception. He has written about a dozen articles for us over the years...

I just received the phone call from his wife that he passed away over the weekend from a long-term illness.  I knew he was battling, but I had the impression that he had it "on-hold," and now I realize that he was not conveying his pain to me in our calls--to spare me agonizing over him.

Duckster was a good man, loved by his family and a great Oregon fan who enjoyed this community immensely. Below is his final article....and I cannot write more at the moment, as I am quite misty-eyed.

When I had my wealth management practice, I made a point to hug many of the older retired clients when we parted.  Why?  Because you never know when that might the last time you see them.  So many good people that I wish I had the chance to have another chat with, a number of laughs with, and some hugs...but they will not happen due to a health event.

My last conversation with Duckster was a dandy, and while I feel great about it--I so wish I could have another one with him.  What a devoted Duck he was...

So, cherish our times together, my friends.

Charles

P.S. I know that most of the responses were before this announcement of Duckster's passing, and I am sure he is pleased with what you all wrote prior to 4:30 PM Monday afternoon.  If you wish to add to the responses--no matter what--please do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The hallmark of any great defense is strength up the middle. Conversely, (As Charles eluded to in a recent post on our forum) it remains a  long-term weakness at Oregon. This topic is especially pertinent considering Oregon’s portal activity, and Mr. FishDuck took time from his study of Washington Commanders NFL Lines and NFL Odds to chime in his thoughts ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The hallmark of any great defense is strength up the middle. Conversely, (As Charles eluded to in a recent post on our forum) it remains a long-term weakness at…
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Brilliant, and I would say sending recruiters to American Samoa with some XXXL t-shirts to spread around each year would be a brilliant move too. Per capita American Samoa has more players in the NFL than anywhere on the planet. 

It does raise the question of why does Nebraska, Wisconsin and other midwest schools recruit so well in Hawaii? We should rule the Islands, and thankfully we brought in Iapani. In the future I look for even stronger recruiting out of the islands, great ponder point!

I would add the Oregon program might follow the college basketball, and NBA and look to the African continent. There are areas where the average height is off the charts, and size too. Maybe Oregon leads the way on building a bridge to African talent?

The Polynesian Bowl website has a list of players that they invite each year. It invites top high school players to participate, and many have Polynesian ancestry.

While not a comprehensive list of Polynesian players, the website reflects that many invitees are actively recruited. 

Breaking into the Deep South is a tall order. The midwest, however, is doable especially with Oregon being a member of the B1G. Also college football being reduced to a power 2 gives Oregon potentially more pull in the pacific islands because its a bigger opportunity than say going to Utah or BYU.

But with this staff I feel confident that they will fix this problem. I mean they have already dived into the portal multiple times to try and fill the gap which is also a viable strategy these days. It'd be nice to have recruits fill these roles but the portal is able to provide a few big bodies every year. As I have said multiple times at this point there aren't that many quality linemen in the portal but Lanning has a knack for getting them to Oregon.

This staff has already done wonders in building Oregon's defense as they have already fixed Oregon's soft underbelly problem.

FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks’ defense has maintained one major problem for the last three years. Simply put, it has a soft underbelly that has...

it's only a matter of time until they secure a pipeline for these big bodied linemen.

I think this is a fantastic idea that could really pay off over the long term for Oregon...especially with joining the B1G and program's current trajectory.  Thanks for the excellent idea, and guest article Duckster!

Mr. FishDuck

Terrific take, thank you.

Dan via recruiting and portal picking, is doing all he can to assemble a Georgia-like D that won a couple of national titles. As to big body guys from the West Coast, Korey Foreman is now playing ball for Fresno State. I recall a 5* recruit from the Islands not so long ago who never got on the field. As you noted Duckster, you have to cast a nationwide net for agile, mobile, and hostile run stuffers; run stuffers who can also pressure the QB. And have an eye for true talent and not just the stars next to a recruit's name. 

Oregon did bring Haloti Ngata out of Portland to Eugene but missed on Ndamukong Suh. Would Dan have missed out on Suh? Recruiting today at Oregon is far different from when Mike Bellotti was the head coach. As noted above, get over the final hurdle and bring a Natty to Eugene, and guys from the southeast and the Midwest will join the flock in Eugene. 

Thanks again.

Duckster, Well done. The staff inadvertently made a stab at this (without perhaps understanding that was what they were doing) when they recruited Tevita Pome'e two years ago out of Utah.

Tevita had been in the US about two years when he was recruited (can't guarantee all the timelines off the top of my head due to a one-time read and a fallible memory). Tevita and his parents were recent immigrant arrivals from Samoa (may have been American Samoa), and Tevita had not yet mastered English.Tevita was enrolled in a small private Christian school/academy in Utah where he was playing sports. At 6'3" and over 300 pounds, he naturally dominated. Tevita was recruited here, and he came, and after one year or less, he entered the portal. I suggest he did not play (probably). He is now a Beaver.

Did Tevita lack anything? He was big and athletic. However, that's not enough. I suspect he needed assistance with his mastery (and written use) of the English language; on the field; he might have needed someone like Popo Aumavae, Taki Taimani, or Keyon Ware-Hudson to shepherd the young player during the Winter season and Summer, or not. It's tough to shepherd when one is consistently fighting lions and bears (competing for a playing position).

In the Ducks' system, learning fast, being quick on the uptake, and watching others/learning from their mistakes, all of these are a necessity, and are rewarded when a player demonstrates they understand how to be tough, physical, and consistently successful. 

If someone is recruited from American Samoa or Hawai'i, great! Let's make sure such a recruits' people, language, academic, and cultural skills are as sharp and well-developed as we expect their sports/football/and competition preparation skills to be. These are probably already woven into the staff work associated with the team-building program.

Remember our Outland Trophy winner, Penei Sewell? His story, and his family's story are inter-woven and interesting, and remind us how narrow that bridge is to success. All four Sewell brothers played football somewhere, and at least three have done so successfully (I suspect all four have been successful.) American Samoans speaks an island language, play physical football, and (IIRC), a very physical brand of rugby; they are very family-oriented. This years' Duck QB sure has some great island contacts for the Ducks, if DL uses them.

Duckster, thank you. Your article should provide the seedlings for action by our coaching leaders. They seem to be a half-step ahead of most coaching staffs. The way to increase that lead is by very good thinking and action if the action is merited.

VR, KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rest in peace, Duckster.

May God bless your family with many fond and cherished memories. 

Thank you for all your contributions to making OBD great.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do read the top post again as I added more thoughts about Duckster's passing...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Brilliant and thoughtful. Why am I not surprised?  I wish I was St. Michael about now.  It sure would be an honor to show you around.

My condolences to your family my "pen pal".  We already miss you.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

RIP, Duckster.

Your wisdom. Wit, and insight will be missed.

• Thanks 1

Words can't describe how sorry I am of the passing of Duckster.  You have graced this forum with your thoughts and insights.  You will be greatly missed! 💚

My condolences and prayers goes out to his family.

• Thanks 1

You were a brilliant writer, Duckster, and likely a beautiful person.  Rest peacefully and know that all of us here appreciate what you brought to us.  I hope you are now in God's warm embrace.

My condolences to the Duckster's loved ones.  Peace to you, always.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Duckster, I enjoyed your contribution and wish your family the very best.

• Thanks 1

This is a great loss for all. The Duckster name should be retired and hung from the rafters of FishDuck for eternity!

• Thanks 1

My condolences to all his family and friends. ❤️

• Thanks 1

You never know the hour or the day. Rest-In-Peace. Thanks for all of the terrific articles.

• Thanks 1