NJDuck

Deion Sanders Responds to Oregon Football Coach Dan Lanning's 'Clicks' Speech

🤔 Hmm, I guess Mr. Sanders never got over it?  Dan Lanning is ever on his mind?

After Oregon Head Coach Dan Lanning said Colorado was playing for clicks, Colorado Head Coach Deion Sanders responded in an interview on the Full Send Podcast.

WWW.SI.COM

EUGENE - Colorado head coach Deion Sanders was the talk of college football last season, and for good reason. Sanders was more aggressive on social media and in

• Cool 1

Apparently he is in need of clicks otherwise he would probably not be revisiting this story.  Am I off base here?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Non-story.

Lanning is living in Colorado fans heads rent free after that speech and beat down. 

So much so they seem to want a rematch... Too bad Colorado helped blow up the conference and the only rematch they can hope for is in the playoff...

But that should be just as one sided as the last meeting. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Another team that I look forward to seeing in my rear-view mirror....

Burch Sack_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

By his own admission, "I do that".

Deion played the hype train to perfection as a player, but as a coach, it has become a distraction. 

He really needs to settle in and figure our how to win games.

He has 1 year left with his sons. He better start getting better recruiting classes, especially some O-line guys, and develop them.

In the meantime, why is it so fun to watch him and his team blow up in the news constantly?

Is it cuz one should walk the walk, before all that talk?!

Go Utah. Win the Big12.

• Thumbs Up 1

This thing was so overblown and frankly missed context.  I always understood his "clicks" comment to be in reference to Colorado players coming into Autzen early and "desecrating" the O logo on the field for social media and talking trash at Oregon players during warm ups as he also went on to extol the team to talk with their pads.  Lanning was encouraging his players to forget the noise on social media and take care of business on the field.  I never took it as a sweeping statement about the Colorado football program or Sanders.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:37 AM, mikethehiker said:

I never took it as a sweeping statement about the Colorado football program or Sanders.

I did and it was a beautiful thing.

• Haha 1

I think Mr. Neon should spend more time studying film and leave the talking to the winners. 

Earn it first, then open your pie-hole 

• Applause 1

Scoreboard. 

• Mic drop 1

The click speech is always worth a revisit. The buff chip, and the Texas Tech videos, were my favorites from last year. 

The buff chip players took on the bad boy persona of their coach before the game, and deserved to lose by more than the final score.

The Ducks almost sent both of Deion’s kids to the hospital with the beating they took from our “small team”. 

• Applause 1

Any head coach worth his salt knows it’s never personal - even when it sounds like it. It’s all about team focus on winning, and when the game is over, move on - especially if it’s a loss. To return to old games is the provence of fans. For a coach to do so indicates a thin skin.

• Thumbs Up 1

4-8 

• Applause 1

Colorado has been Buffalo'd.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have found it amusing how both Travis Hunter and Shaduer Sanders expect to be two of the main contenders for the Heisman this year. 

They'll both get some hype but the media votes in the south aren't going to vote for them... And the B1G is going to have some worthy contenders as well. 

And at the end of the day I'd be shocked if Colorado is in contetniito win the Big 12 the League of Left Overs. 

It's a lot of talk for a lot of clicks but the Colorado's transfer Portal roster has a ceiling of a bowl game and not a good one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neon is always one to trash talk and quite frankly the media needs the click baits and is responsible for most of the junk we have to read about in todays world… 

I get Deion hyping his program.  A good coach does that.   BUT, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it.  Unfortunately Deion is not going about it in the best way and neither are his sons.  

Maybe they will learn.   I hope they do.  Going to the Big12 won't be a cake walk for them.   Whittingham is formidable and knows how to coach as do others in the B12.   Deion would be smart to observe and learn from as many of them as he can.  

Hype is one thing, delivering on the hype is a whole other realm.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:58 AM, David Marsh said:

Too bad Colorado helped blow up the conference a

My opinion?

There can be no comparison to the damage USC did to the conference.  They shot down TWO proposals that would have allowed the conference to thrive.

USC basically changed the entire fabric of college football in actuality.  Their greed singlehandedly destroyed the PAC12. 

Such poetic justice the B1G brought us along to destroy their legacy forever (although quite frankly, an elite USC would make the B1G as great as the SEC in my opinion).  

• Applause 1

On 5/20/2024 at 8:48 AM, Augduck said:

Unfortunately Deion is not going about it in the best way

Two things stand out about Sanders that concern me most:

He doesn't visit the players he recruits, and his strategy for acquiring talent is better suited for the NFL ( portal recruiting over High School recruiting).

His style and manner don't bother me.  I wouldn't promote my program in the fashion he does, but that's just me.  Sanders is a Brand.  

Sanders is a lot like Chip.  He hates the adulation these kids get, and he doesn't believe they deserve it ( I completely agree). 

Unfortunately, coaches have to buy in a little to the hype.  Relationships are key to successfully building an elite college football program.

I doubt Sanders elevates to elite coaching status.  He's a smoother form of Willie Taggert, but he cares about the kids more ( if that makes any sense).  He doesn't quite grasp the nuance of melding a cult personality with developing a high performance organization. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:14 AM, Mike West said:

Sanders is a lot like Chip.  He hates the adulation these kids get, and he doesn't believe they deserve it ( I completely agree). 

Unfortunately, coaches have to buy in a little to the hype.  Relationships are key to successfully building an elite college football program.

What should follow is a de-recruitment like what Georgia and by extension Oregon, as he learned it from Smart and Saban. 

You need to play the hype game in recruiting and evaluate talent and personalities. But once they're on campus they get knocked back and they either conform to a culture of the team and community or they transfer. 

It feels like Colorado is a group of individuals and not a cohesive team. Getting high level talent to buy into the idea that they aren't special is tough. 

But what i love about Lanning era Oregon football is that it really does feel unselfish. 

I mean Nix could have had better stats last year and maybe it could have propelled him to win the Heisman if he wasn't sitting on the bench for the 4th quarter. 

Bucky Irving had to share touches with Jordan James. Just think how much greater either player's stats would have been if they were the featured back. But they shared and the the team was better for it. 

Deion - As the saying goes - All Hat and No Cattle (Buffs?)

On 5/21/2024 at 1:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Deion - As the saying goes - All Hat and No Cattle (Buffs?)

Or all talk and no show. I give the Buffs a liberal 6 wins, and maybe a chance at the Nobody cares bowl.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:59 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Or all talk and no show. I give the Buffs a liberal 6 wins, and maybe a chance at the Nobody cares bowl.

And if they make that bowl game how many opt out? You get the sense that it's playoff or bust. 

Or perhaps that Colorado is entitled to a playoff berth for just who they are.