Charles Fischer

10 Cent Beer Night: What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong?

OK, those stats below are a hoot, but you gotta hear the video!

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Posted (edited)

I'm Hockey Sticks - 77 years of age. And none the Budweiser. 

Grew up in Boston in the upscale Back Bay. The part of the Boston isthmus that was filled in by the rubble left from the devastating earthquake in 1755. In the Olde Towne, all that was left standing after the quake were stray chimneys. 

Today, part of Back Bay, the South End (not Southie) of Boston has been gentrified. But back in the day, when it was a dump, we'd head into the South End to the Dartmouth Street Cafe. IDs? Who needed stinking IDs?

Draft beers went for five cents a glass. Ergo, 20 draftees for a dollar bill. Hot dogs that had been steamed for who knows how long, but too long, went for a dime with roll and mustard. 

I'm not certain my today's old man's stomach agrees, but those were the good Olde Towne days. 

Go Celtics!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

You have to love the seventies. 

Dimers nights were a thing. Some Eugene taverns had 10 cent beers, great for broke students, bad for the surrounding neighborhoods. One is too many, and a thousand isn’t enough was a common saying at those taverns back then.

The other memorable seventies baseball fan promotion was in 1979 at Comiskey in Chicago. 

• Applause 1

dude—when i was at UO, we had quarter nights—beer was free until someone had to pee…

Max’s on E. 13th had Dimer Nights. 

What could possibly go wrong? It was me (more than once). But all in the name of good fun!

• Applause 1

I once heard a list of funny minor league baseball promotions. The best of them was Hard Liquor and Hand Gun Night for a team in Texas. 

• Mic drop 1

There is a very valid reason that the term..."Hold My (10 cent) Beer!", is usually associated with some dumbassed move made by a human under the influence of too much ETOH!

Yeah.  What possibly could go wrong!

🤔😁😋

Group think, and the Peter principle got together and made a decision.

peterprinciple.jpg

• Applause 1

I do remember some 10¢ “bottoms-up” beer nights which meant the mugs were upside down and they filled the bottom with beer. 

I was walking (using the terms loosely) from Duffy’s (the first establishment to crack the dry zone, corner of 13th and Alder) when all of a sudden, the blue and whatever lights of a police cruiser pulled up next to me.  I was asked if I had a driver’s license.  My response was "I wasn't driving was I"?  I was relieved to confirm I wasn’t, they just wanted to check my ID.

• Haha 3

On 6/5/2024 at 4:54 PM, Steven A said:

My response was "I wasn't driving was I"?  I was relieved to confirm I wasn’t,

You were the "King of the One-Liners" back at Oregon as well!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck