FishDuck Article

How Can Autzen Be Improved?

Autzen Stadium. You just imagined the greatest place on the planet. Home of the Oregon Ducks, perhaps the most incredible football program in all the land. They deserve a fantastic stadium, and Autzen delivers time and time again. The atmosphere is off the charts, the song choices throughout the game are very good, the the jumbotron is great, the announcing ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Autzen Stadium. You just imagined the greatest place on the planet. Home of the Oregon Ducks, perhaps the most incredible football program in...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

How bout a entry case with a couple of NC trophies. 

• Applause 2

It't not just getting to the exits, it's getting anywhere, especially at halftime. Autzen's corridors have an unsafe, overcrowded vibe. If the place is ever expanded, this needs to be addressed. For now, I'd suggest dropping the standing room-only admissions.

Edited by RichardDuck
  • Yikes! 1

Even with additional parking spots I'd still park at the "building under the bridge" IYKYK; and walk any day. Always spots, great tailgating, and you gain 5 to 8 new friends by the time you hit the Mo!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/11/2024 at 7:43 AM, RichardDuck said:

It't not just getting to the exits, it's getting anywhere, especially at halftime. Autzen's corridors have an unsafe, overcrowded vibe. If the place is ever expanded, this needs to be addressed. For now, I'd suggest dropping the standing room-only admissions.

I definitely agree. I think that a second level of access, which is fairly common in large stadiums, would be a huge relief for all fans.

On 6/11/2024 at 5:13 AM, fred flintstone said:

How bout a entry case with a couple of NC trophies. 

I am hoping the first one finds its way there in about 7 months!

On 6/11/2024 at 7:46 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Even with additional parking spots I'd still park at the "building under the bridge" IYKYK; and walk any day. Always spots, great tailgating, and you gain 5 to 8 new friends by the time you hit the Mo!

I love the walk to the stadium, it looks great on camera, but when I used to have to drive up from Grants Pass it was a huge pain if we couldn't get there super early. I think a slightly expanded parking area would do wonders.

Food, the difference between paying too much for average food, and a little more for a really good item isn't much. 

The answer also isn't too far away. The University of Oregon food services isn't what it was when I went to school. They make a breakfast burrito, along with tacos. Indian food is also made and could be turned into an interesting sandwich. There is also curries and bao buns, all could be make into great stadium food. 

Autzen stadium should challenge The University of Oregon food services to create an innovative menu which can turn eating at Autzen into a culinary experience. I mean there is a Food Studies major, put those kids to work on something meaningful!

Why shouldn't Oregon be know as also have excellent food at Autzen, innovate!, instead of subpar offerings which try and mimic other stadiums.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Autzen essentially only has 1 road out, it does go east and west, but going east the traffic is reduced to 1 lane after going over I-5.  Trying to get 60,000 people out on 1 road and part of the road is 1 lane, is never going to be fast. 

I would put in more parking south of the river.  The parking structure along Millrace Dr. is not nearly big enough.

I completely agree with the restrooms, and the WiFi....and the others, but I think those others would cost way too much to fix.

My other suggestions:

--We need more "yell" traditions, and something unique that sets us apart.  "Shout" is wonderful, but we need more of which are shorter and gets us going...

--We need to be wearing "Yell-O" much more often.  Wearing black to the Ohio State game is stupid-as-hell, as it makes the stadium and crowd look small...and looks ugly on TV..  I have a novel idea....how about wearing the official colors of Oregon, and provide the yellow coats, vests, etc. for sale?

Nothing like an a Yell-O stadium....

Autzen vs. MSU 2014_Jeff White.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Improvements to Autzen stadium???  Hmmm....

Besides the points already brought up regarding parking/bathrooms/food services/people "traffic flow" and the like, which will most likely be addressed during the next expansion of Autzen (before the next TV deals are negotiated through the B1G).

What I would like to see is "catching up" with the newer tech out there.  Have already done so with dual "big screen TV's at each end of the stadium; plus the vastly superior sound system currently inplace. 

LED Lighting would be the first thing I would invest in.  Gives sooo much "flexibility" on using the lighting system to further enhance the GameDay experience in addition to be a whole lot more energy efficient.

Not exactly a stadium improvement but coordinating with the COE on the "riverfront development" project and goals could go a long way in enhancing and improving the pre and post game experiences while simultaneously addressing "parking" in a combined approach so any increase in parking would be "shared" thus ensuring that there is not a structure or designated parking that sit mostly empty and unused between stadium events.

Regardless, I am positive that there are already "improvements" on the table.

Probably waiting to see what being a "playa" in the new conference brings and what further developments will need to be taken into consideration.  And of course, investment capital and expected return of investing that capital might look like.

Let's hope the plans for Autzen and it's surroundings can become a economic and social boom for all involved.

(And, yeah!  A "public" National Championship Trophy Case should be in those plans, cause it be coming "home" soon.)!

Let's make Autzen....more!

Go Quackers!

Edited by MicroBurst61

I've said it before, but the north side of the stadium is stuck in the 70s.  Rubber dogs and cold pizza woo hoo!  Also the choke points on the north side need to be widened.  Pretty much everything there needs to be redone (guess where my season tickets are!).

And please, if I hear "Don't Stop Believing" one more time I'm going to puke😜!

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/11/2024 at 10:28 AM, Haywarduck said:

Food, the difference between paying too much for average food, and a little more for a really good item isn't much. 

The answer also isn't too far away. The University of Oregon food services isn't what it was when I went to school. They make a breakfast burrito, along with tacos. Indian food is also made and could be turned into an interesting sandwich. There is also curries and bao buns, all could be make into great stadium food. 

I didn't consider food because I never really eat at the stadium (unless someone in my group goes to get chicken sandwiches!)

There's a lot they could potentially do with it too. There should be some food item that we are famous for. Something that people go "Oh you went to Autzen? Did you try X?"

On 6/11/2024 at 11:51 AM, noDucknewby said:

I've said it before, but the north side of the stadium is stuck in the 70s.  Rubber dogs and cold pizza woo hoo!  Also the choke points on the north side need to be widened.  Pretty much everything there needs to be redone (guess where my season tickets are!).

And please, if I hear "Don't Stop Believing" one more time I'm going to puke😜!

I think that more could be done to give the crowd ENERGY, not just get them singing.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:46 PM, Ryan Robertson said:

There should be some food item that we are famous for. Something that people go "Oh you went to Autzen? Did you try X?"

Absolutely.  GREAT idea, as some places do have that.  Our food options at the top of the stadium are not great...

Someone emailed me to say that a 'pre-song' would help set the tone, but not one used by others.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

How about some serious fireworks before and after the game ("after" the game only if Ducks win, of course).

My kids were mesmerized by Tennessee's walk off FG win against Bama a couple years ago (see around 10s mark):

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/11/2024 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

--We need to be wearing "Yell-O" much more often.  Wearing black to the Ohio State game is stupid-as-hell, as it makes the stadium and crowd look small...and looks ugly on TV..  I have a novel idea....how about wearing the official colors of Oregon, and provide the yellow coats, vests, etc. for sale?

Nothing like an a Yell-O stadium....

Autzen vs. MSU 2014_Jeff White.jpg

This!

On 6/11/2024 at 10:38 AM, Tandaian said:

Autzen essentially only has 1 road out, it does go east and west, but going east the traffic is reduced to 1 lane after going over I-5.  Trying to get 60,000 people out on 1 road and part of the road is 1 lane, is never going to be fast. 

I would put in more parking south of the river.  The parking structure along Millrace Dr. is not nearly big enough.

This would be the single most impactful thing for the crowds at Autzen.  Improving the roads going out so that people exiting the parking lot more quickly has a cascade effect all the way to the stadium itself.

• Thumbs Up 2