FishDuck Article

It’s Time for Duck Fans to Yell-O

The Ducks are joining their new conference this season, and one thing the B1G is known for is having some impressive fan participation and uniformity within their massive stadiums. Autzen isn’t as big as some of the behemoths of the B1G. In reality, Autzen is only about half the size of Michigan’s “Big House” and Ohio State’s “Shoe” — but ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Ducks are joining their new conference this season, and one thing the B1G is known for is having some impressive fan participation and uniformity within…

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Amen Duck Brother!

When we wear Yell-O....the background for TV is incredible.  And I am biased because of how good the background for pictures in FishDuck look...

LOS_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Wish Oregon would just stick with yellow, except for blackouts at big night games. Make it simple for fans.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Its difficult to find good yellow gear.  I don't love wearing jerseys and yellow gear outside of that seems thin. 

BTW...I'm heading to Michigan State, so I am taking recommendations on where to find good yellow gear. 🤣  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 4:39 AM, OregonDucks said:

Make it simple for fans.

I think the system is already simple. Oregon fans will wear what they want to wear and it doesn't matter what the "game color" is. We, in general, are not dedicated to the appearance as we are to the experience. True "blue blood" team fans are dedicated to everything football.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, GeotechDuck said:

Its difficult to find good yellow gear.  I don't love wearing jerseys and yellow gear outside of that seems thin. 

I do think for this to work it would require Oregon to give out a t-shirt with the game. That way you enter the stadium and you have your yellow shirt on hand and can put it on. 

That also keeps it simple. 

I agree that yellow gear isn't the easiest to get mostly because it feels a bit weird to wear out of context. Wearing highlighter yellow around anything Oregon feels normal. 

Wearing highlighter yellow anywhere else feels a bit odd. 

Also yellow has a habit, like white, of getting stained easily. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yellow is the most recognizable color in the spectrum. When I was a kid way back when, fire trucks were red. They are now Yellow as they should be. 

Blackout? If the Ohio State game kicks off at 4:30 PM Pacific, the game will finish in the dark. Please, no 7:30 Pacific KO for this game. Depending on the time of KO, if OBD decides to go Black, wear yellow helmets. All-black unis are not a QB's friend.

Thanks, David. Pound the Potato Pickers!

Over the years I have accumulated a ton of Duck gear. Wife worked at Nike for a long time, and Internet shopping on the employee website can be a hazard to the wallet. 

For nationally televised games I think yellow looks great. 

If it is cold and wet, then anything goes…not the guy that drinks excessive amounts of “antifreeze” and stands around shirtless…at least not anymore. 😎

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/19/2024 at 10:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

When I was a kid way back when, fire trucks were red. They are now Yellow as they should be. 

We must be old school in Oregon. Most are still red here. 

Yellow trucks must offend the rodents. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

While the idea of fan unison sounds good, it won't happen for one main reason: we have too many color combinations. 

Our weekly changing of the uniforms is great, but it gives fans too many choices in apparel selection. 

Penn St has like 1 color choice. Mich maybe 2. If the games were all at 12:30 each sat it might be easier. But night games and cooler, even wet weather make it tough cuz how many coats and sweatshirts can a person own?

I have tried to comply. I own 3 different color rain ponchos and multiple sweatshirts but I have to admit, the rebellious part of me hates being told what to do or what to wear.

As long as Autzen remains loud and noisy, I really don't care what we all wear.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2024 at 1:59 PM, DanLduck said:

While the idea of fan unison sounds good, it won't happen for one main reason: we have too many color combinations. 

Our weekly changing of the uniforms is great, but it gives fans too many choices in apparel selection. 

Penn St has like 1 color choice. Mich maybe 2. If the games were all at 12:30 each sat it might be easier. But night games and cooler, even wet weather make it tough cuz how many coats and sweatshirts can a person own?

I have tried to comply. I own 3 different color rain ponchos and multiple sweatshirts but I have to admit, the rebellious part of me hates being told what to do or what to wear.

As long as Autzen remains loud and noisy, I really don't care what we all wear.

I think the team can wear whatever for a yellow out. 

I think the what to wear guide needs to be simplified. Green and yellow as much as possible. 

Throw in a blackout day sure.. 

But I also think that if the yellow out becomes something special and used for special big games it would look and feel incredible. 

I think part of our what to wear schedule is wasted on less interesting games. Why is the stripe out against Idaho? Shouldn't that be saved for a game like Michigan State?

Maybe not the biggest game of the year but certainly of greater interest than Idaho. 

We have a semi tradition of blackouts when USC comes to town so I'm all for keeping that intact. It's special for a special rivalry. 

Wearing white for away games is kinda lackluster. Outside of a game at Michigan State we should be wearing green (or yellow). 

I know this is all kinda silly because it's the athletic office trying to heard cats and get fans to dress alike and it doesn't matter as long as the on-field product is good. 

But for a school that has a long streak of looking good... Should we strive as fans to look as good as possible as well? 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, David Marsh said:

Wearing white for away games is kinda lackluster. Outside of a game at Michigan State we should be wearing green (or yellow). 

I concur with this.  When we went to the Texas Tech game last year the color was white and my sons and I wore our white duck shirts and hats only to be drown out by all the Tech fans wearing white.  We should do Green or Yellow for away games, and whichever color isn't a color on the spectrum of the other team ala Yellow for playing at Michigan state instead of Green since green is one of their primary colors, etc...!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2024 at 4:39 AM, OregonDucks said:

Wish Oregon would just stick with yellow, except for blackouts at big night games. Make it simple for fans.   

I wish they'd just stick with yellow, period. To me, black at night games just makes the stadium look empty.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/20/2024 at 8:05 AM, Annie said:

I wish they'd just stick with yellow, period. To me, black at night games just makes the stadium look empty.

Black is a bit strange at night. The stadium does look kinda empty with it but at the same time there is a lot of noise coming from semi emptiness. It's a strange effect. 

But I think bright yellow reflecting light all under the lights would be far more spectacular. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi David and others,

New to FishDuck, but been a Ducks fan for over 40 years.  As a Penn State graduate living in the Northwest, I would like to comment on this topic.  Penn State only has one White-Out game a year and they spend forever trying to figure out which one will be it.  It's super special.  They look at the opponent and their record, what time the networks set the home games (gotta be at least half a night game), when in the season (mid to later), etc.,  so it's not just "lets have a bunch of White-Out games this year". 

This year it is the Washington Huskies, but I really think next year will be the Ducks.  I hope a whole flock of Duck fans attend, but what a pain to get a ticket and find a place to spend the night, since State College PA is in the middle of nowhere.  Also, teams that do color games do not typically have a color for every game like the Ducks are trying to do this year - wear yellow, wear black, were green ... it's every home game and that's too much! 

You get more participation if it is rare and special.  And I know that it's not luck that MSU or Tennessee have a great Stripe-Out (or whatever color scheme), since they hand out cheap T-shirts for free at the gate.  This is also common at NHL games.  Anyhow, glad to be here and look forward to the Ducks winning the Natty this year!

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/27/2024 at 8:51 AM, RickDuck said:

Hi David and others,

New to FishDuck, but been a Ducks fan for over 40 years.  As a Penn State graduate living in the Northwest, I would like to comment on this topic.  Penn State only has one White-Out game a year and they spend forever trying to figure out which one will be it.  It's super special.  They look at the opponent and their record, what time the networks set the home games (gotta be at least half a night game), when in the season (mid to later), etc.,  so it's not just "lets have a bunch of White-Out games this year".  This year it is the Washington Huskies, but I really think next year will be the Ducks.  I hope a whole flock of Duck fans attend, but what a pain to get a ticket and find a place to spend the night, since State College PA is in the middle of nowhere.  Also, teams that do color games do not typically have a color for every game like the Ducks are trying to do this year - wear yellow, wear black, were green ... it's every home game and that's too much!  You get more participation if it is rare and special.  And I know that it's not luck that MSU or Tennessee have a great Stripe-Out (or whatever color scheme), since they hand out cheap T-shirts for free at the gate.  This is also common at NHL games.  Anyhow, glad to be here and look forward to the Ducks winning the Natty this year!

Welcome! 

I think a year or two ago Penn State did have two white out games... but once a year as a standard is very very special. 

I do think Duck fans are pretty good on the whole in wearing the correct color. I just think it could be a whole lot better. And sometimes to get it right it does require giving out free t-shirts at the door. I do feel that Oregon's highlighter yellow is something special and unique in college football, because it's so off the wall bonkers, and I would love to see more of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I realise this will probably not be popular, but I truly hate the thought of someone deciding for me what I need to wear to be considered a proper fan for any team or any sport. This seems to have taken on a life of its own.

When I was a season ticket holder for the Trailblazers, in the playoffs almost every game had a preferred color scheme and they supplied t shirts. 

My wife would always wear what was supplied, but I would not. I would always get a certain amount of grief, but that's fine. I knew how I wanted to dress for the games.

If it happened once in a great while, maybe I would feel different, but honestly it seems to be something different every week. As an example, I just could not see the need for a stripe-out for Idaho,

I feel like I am a good fan of the ducks and have been, thru thick and thin. I really don't need a color scheme every week.

On 8/27/2024 at 8:51 AM, RickDuck said:

Hi David and others,

New to FishDuck, but been a Ducks fan for over 40 years.  As a Penn State graduate living in the Northwest, I would like to comment on this topic.  Penn State only has one White-Out game a year and they spend forever trying to figure out which one will be it.  It's super special.  They look at the opponent and their record, what time the networks set the home games (gotta be at least half a night game), when in the season (mid to later), etc.,  so it's not just "lets have a bunch of White-Out games this year". 

This year it is the Washington Huskies, but I really think next year will be the Ducks.  I hope a whole flock of Duck fans attend, but what a pain to get a ticket and find a place to spend the night, since State College PA is in the middle of nowhere.  Also, teams that do color games do not typically have a color for every game like the Ducks are trying to do this year - wear yellow, wear black, were green ... it's every home game and that's too much! 

You get more participation if it is rare and special.  And I know that it's not luck that MSU or Tennessee have a great Stripe-Out (or whatever color scheme), since they hand out cheap T-shirts for free at the gate.  This is also common at NHL games.  Anyhow, glad to be here and look forward to the Ducks winning the Natty this year!

Great comments. And given that you've been a Duck fan for 4 decades, as Charles will tell you, you meet the 39-year fan minimum requirement 😉.

And Oregon has the dough to spend on 60,000 cheap neon yellow tee-shirts (@ around $7 bucks a pop) for a big game. Neon Yellow just looks awesome.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, Desert Duck said:

Neon Yellow just looks awesome.

Yell-O_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, if we were supposed to wear yellow, why aren't the cheerleaders?

I like yellow in the early fall, black is ok for warmer weather, but I don't own any coats or rain jackets that are yellow or black.

On 8/19/2024 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

The Ducks are joining their new conference this season, and one thing the B1G is known for is having some impressive fan participation and uniformity within their massive stadiums. Autzen isn’t as big as some of the behemoths of the B1G. In reality, Autzen is only about half the size of Michigan’s “Big House” and Ohio State’s “Shoe” — but ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Ducks are joining their new conference this season, and one thing the B1G is known for is having some impressive fan participation and uniformity within…

I love going to games at Autzen. We are loud and proud. But, if you get a chance, you really need to travel to a game at one of the traditional Big10 schools. I've only been to one, Oregon @ Wisconsin, and I will never forget it. The experience is/was amazing, and their traditions are unlike any other game that I have ever been to. 

We do a lot of things very well, but there's always room for improvement. 

On 8/27/2024 at 2:32 PM, Gotcha said:

I like yellow in the early fall, black is ok for warmer weather, but I don't own any coats or rain jackets that are yellow or black.

Cheap bright yellow poncho that just goes over the top of a coat. It works well enough though not ideal. 

On 8/27/2024 at 2:32 PM, Gotcha said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck