Ben H

Did Bo Nix Make Our Past O-lines Look Better Than They Really Were?

The one sentiment that everyone seems to agree on after watching the Idaho game is that our offensive line did not play as we expected them to. I am not sure which is more alarming, the 3 sacks and what seemed like constant pressure or that we couldn't run against a FCS team. We have been hearing this offseason about a standard and culture and them wanting to maintain and improve on what the O-line accomplished the last 2 years.

But I am wondering if part of the success of the past 2 years was Bo Nix. He was so prepared, had great pocket awareness and made his reads and decisions so quickly that I believe it contributed mightily to him rarely being sacked or pressured.

I still believe the O-line played poorly (especially against a FCS team) but I think the days of 2-4 sacks per season may be a thing of the past. This O-line may not look like or have the statistics of the O-lines of the past 2 years but I think some of that will be connected to the fact that Bo Nix was special and made them all look better than maybe they truly were.

Nix reduced the number of sacks for sure. 

But the previous three years of offensive lines at least were better. It's the run game stats that pop. 

The tackles are solid in our current line. The interior needs to settle but we were also without one of the starters through camp and one of the primary back ups. So we'll also see what happens when things start to settle. 

Yes.  In my article on FishDuck on Friday, before the game, I wrote...

"We all know the stats and experience of Dillon Gabriel coming in, and frankly–it appears that he throws a better long-ball than Bo Nix. Yet I believe that a reason for so few sacks in the past two years was Nix’s ability to get rid of the ball, and yet complete the pass.  Normally if you are throwing the ball away to prevent sacks–your completion percentage declines, but we did not see that with Bo."

I also wrote in this forum that I expected our sacks against us to go up, as Bo was extraordinary at getting rid of the ball, and yet completing the pass.  And we saw our sacks against us go up already....

FISHDUCK.COM

With all that has happened, it is hard to believe that Dan Lanning has only been at Oregon for two years. Yet the talent stacked up from both high school and…

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah.  Agree.  Bo had incredible pocket presence and probably contributed to those low sack and pressure numbers.  Either way, our OL should have manhandled any FCS team and that is concerning for sure. Specifically, the right side of the line played about as poorly a game as I have seen in a long, long time.  IMO, this was the worst performance by a Lanning coached team to date.  

I have to wonder if Gabriel was hurt or if he was not seeing the whole field.  His numbers were fantastic, but there were several occasions where he checked down, where even on TV you could see a receiver running free down field for what looked to be an easy pitch and catch for a score.  On one occasion, he checked down to Ferguson on 3rd down and I believe they picked up the first.  However, the TV angle showed Tez running free towards the end zone with nobody close to him.  

On occasion, QBs will mis those reads, but that happened at least three times that I could see on TV.  Which likely means it happened more than that.  Did anyone evaluate film yet?  

My biggest concern is that Oregon may see a bit of a drop off of offensive line play now that we are turning over the Mario Cristobal’s offensive linemen. Say what you will about MC but he is a heck of an offensive line evaluator, recruiter and coach.  

Excluding transfers, how has Oregon’s recruitment been of blue chip high school offensive lineman? I know that we have signed a few elite tackles but what about guards.  

On 9/1/2024 at 10:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yes.  In my article on FishDuck on Friday, before the game, I wrote...

"We all know the stats and experience of Dillon Gabriel coming in, and frankly–it appears that he throws a better long-ball than Bo Nix. Yet I believe that a reason for so few sacks in the past two years was Nix’s ability to get rid of the ball, and yet complete the pass.  Normally if you are throwing the ball away to prevent sacks–your completion percentage declines, but we did not see that with Bo."

I also wrote in this forum that I expected our sacks against us to go up, as Bo was extraordinary at getting rid of the ball, and yet completing the pass.  And we saw our sacks against us go up already....

FISHDUCK.COM

With all that has happened, it is hard to believe that Dan Lanning has only...

Do you feel Nix might have avoided those sacks?  I saw way too much Havoc from Idaho for my comfort.  And since OBD didn't control the LOS on runs, play action will be less effective if the OL doesn't improve.

It's why I suggest slowly implementing max protect, Bootlegs and Rollout packages, 22 and 21 sets.  And Gabriel has to be part of the running game.

It's early.  But what do you think?  Is this a fundamental issue, or is it fixable?

I don't know if you saw Georgia, Texas, Miami and Bama.  They look miles ahead of us. Frankly, this is no time to just apply the standard.  It's also time for some creative adjustments to deal with our weaknesses ( that is if you believe we have them).

And Georgia still has an advantage of adjusting to havoc and physicality better than everyone else.  Implementing contingency strategies to overcome shortfalls is what I call elite coaching.  If you can't out muscle them, you better make them think about what they're doing. 

Idaho did that to us, stayed in the game and climbed back in it.  That's damn good coaching right there.

What day you FishDuck?

There were definitely receivers open beyond the check down throws. I made a comment to my wife that Dillon Gabriel has trouble seeing green in the color spectrum. 

However, Gabriel was really one of the bright spots on offense. The play calling seemed predictable, the pace of play was slow, and the offensive line played poorly.

The refs slowed down the game by reviewing everything, and then took too much time to actually make a decision. 

On 9/1/2024 at 10:39 AM, GeotechDuck said:

However, the TV angle showed Tez running free towards the end zone with nobody close to him.  

On occasion, QBs will miss those reads, but that happened at least three times that I could see on TV.  Which likely means it happened more than that.  Did anyone evaluate film yet?

Yep!  

And no I have not yet evaluated the game--a bunch of other FishDuck related stuff to attend to first today.  (Like this forum that I love!)

Mr. FishDuck

O-line play, sacks and QB play go hand in hand.   Any one failing will make the other two look bad.   DG needs to get rid of the ball quickly and run when he needs to.   That will make the O line look better and reduce sacks.   3 sacks against FCS team is really alarming.

Idaho basically blitzed on every play.... Most teams won't do that, but they knew they were inferior and had nothing to lose.   They are athletic enough for that strategy to pay off.   We'll know more next week... If it's actual o-line problems, Ducks will lose to Boise St. 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, OregonDucks said:

My biggest concern is that Oregon may see a bit of a drop off of offensive line play now that we are turning over the Mario Cristobal’s offensive linemen. Say what you will about MC but he is a heck of an offensive line evaluator, recruiter and coach.  

Excluding transfers, how has Oregon’s recruitment been of blue chip high school offensive lineman? I know that we have signed a few elite tackles but what about guards.  

Great take—though it pains me to compliment MC.

You knew the OL talent was legitimate with him.

Bo had better pocket awareness for sure, but we lost probably the best center in Oregon History.  Jackwon, He was great at calls at the line

Never wanted to see the day when a MC coached team had more big plays and scored more points than OBD.  But it happened yesterday.

Against an SEC team.  Away.

"Shout" sounded good though.

• Applause 1

DG is listed as 5’11”, which means he’s actually probably closer to 5’10”. Shorter quarterbacks have a harder time seeing the field, especially the middle of the field. Does his height affect his ability to make short, inside throws? Maybe. If so, that’s one less thing a defense needs to focus on shutting down—and lets the guys in the box focus more on filling running lanes. I also saw a couple of passes get batted down or tipped—which is both an O line and QB issue. 

On 9/1/2024 at 10:26 AM, Ben H said:

I am wondering if part of the success of the past 2 years was Bo Nix. He was so prepared, had great pocket awareness and made his reads and decisions so quickly that I believe it contributed mightily to him rarely being sacked or pressured.

Absolutely!  I still think that Bo is not given enough credit for all that he did.  He helped pass pro by changing protections at the line of scrimmage according to the looks the defense was giving.  He also made the run game more effective by checking into better plays and/or formations pre-snap.  His preparation, knowledge and field vision helped the efficiency of the entire offense -- running game as well as passing game.  He was an amazing field general for a college QB.

• Thumbs Up 2