FishDuck Article

With a Lefty QB, It’s Time to Flip the Offensive Line

Oregon’s offensive line play last Saturday left a lot to be desired, and that feels like an understatement. The Ducks might be lucky enough to have Matthew Bedford back as as starter this week, and it still may take a couple of weeks for Dave Iuli to rotate back into the offensive line as well. But it feels like there ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon’s offensive line play last Saturday left a lot to be desired, and that feels like an understatement. The Ducks might be lucky...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good idea. However, someone mentioned that it is not that simple, it takes time to get comfortable playing the other side (e.g., technique). If Oregon were going to do this, they should have made the switch in spring or fall camp.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks, David. IMO, too soon for drastic realignment on the O line and elsewhere. Let's see how things play out vs Boise when the team from the coaches on down shows up better prepared to play the game and with a hopefully, bad attitude. 

Based on last season's play, Cornelious's play was an outlier. Conerly is used to pressure coming off his left side, not that easy to change your focus. From what I could glean from the web, wholesale changes on the O-line were not made to accommodate southpaw Gabe at UCF and Oklahoma. 

I hope I am not proven wrong this Saturday but for now, I'm chalking up the Idaho performance to an OBD Bad Attitude game. Even so, the D played great, and Gabe and the O put up stats that should have led to a three-TD or more victory. One of the strangest games I have watched in seven decades of watching college football. (I do think that Stein has to allow Gabe to be less risk-averse in both the pass and run game. With Gabe's refusal to run, that was 10 vs 11 instead of 11 vs 11.) 

I think Boise keeps the game close for a half plus but like UCLA took over the 2nd half in the LA Bowl, OBD does the same on Saturday. Anytime you put up 50+ points is an impressive outing. But Boise also gave up 45 points and even with an awesome run game was in a four-quarter fistfight with Georgia Southern, coached by our 'old friend,' Clay Helton. 😁

BUST THE BRONCOS!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Always appreciate your insight David but this one seems like one of the bigger overreactions of the week. These are two stud tackles we have that had a bad day (for whatever reason that may be: sick, tired from camp, banged up a little, overlooked opponent, or just a bad day at the office). 

Moving from one side to the other completely changes all footwork and techniques, so just making a switch like that after one sample size in the middle of the season is a major over correction. The line will be just fine! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

They knew they were working with a left handed QB since before spring practices. IMO they chose to put the guys in place to protect his blind side back in April. They have been practicing this way for 5 months. I think the switching of positions to account for Bedford's absence is the bigger issue.

I don't like that there isn't a #2 that can slide into his place and leave the rest of the line intact. For all the talk about the depth of the team this season, you would think this would give us the ability to keep Poncho at center and replace the Bedford with the next man up. This won't be the last time we lose a man on the line for a game this season...

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

As an old offensive lineman...your suggestion, David, makes logical sense.  But in practice--it can be tougher.  Yes, I could play both sides, but I was better on one side, I LIKED one side, and now translating every play to the other side with different steps and timing--it is hard.

Not to mention pass protection; a player simply might be better on the same side consistently, as they are accustomed to repelling the defensive line techniques.

I understand they flip players around, but this may not be the solution...even if it does make sense.

Tomorrow I will have my own offensive line analysis with what I see as the problems, and what we can do to overcome them.

Snag_603b418c.png

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The team found out that everyone wants to knock the stuffing out of the Ducks.

The OL shouldn’t take all the responsibility for the lackluster performance. Our center, and right guard looked exactly like they had never played a game together. If they get better at playing together, then DG has more time to let plays develop downfield. 

I don’t remember DG making many adjustments (audibles) at the line of scrimmage. I think he stayed with the play called, no matter what defensive set he was seeing. He should take control of the playbook , and make changes when needed. 

I think we get better, as the players settle in to their positions. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Another great article and observation. I will leave it to others to consider the practicality of what is mentioned. 

One thing is for sure we need to see a difference out there in their play. I would say the bench is the next stop if the mistakes keep happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:44 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would say the bench is the next stop if the mistakes keep happening.

That is the problem...the alternatives are few, as the bench is thin.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

David, it is/was a thought.

Tried it last night by switching sides of the bed.  Wife not amused when I trapsed over her to get to bathroom.

P.S. When my not-so-secret double probation is over and I'm allowed back in the bedroom I think I'll revert to my usual side.

Go Ducks

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The coaches coach the practices, but I do wonder sometimes about the wisdom of shuffling the line to get the best 5 players in rather than just filling the one hole with your 6th or even 10th best player.

It's like the US 4x100 team that loves to shuffle everyone at the last minute to have the fastest people at their fastest spot, then they jack up the handoffs and get DQ'd.

Edited by Solar
  • Applause 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:51 AM, Steven A said:

P.S. When my not-so-secret double probation is over and I'm allowed back in the bedroom I think I'll revert to my usual side.

Wisdom like this only comes from direct experience, and a willingness to be coachable. 

Well played, my friend. Well played. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:51 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That is the problem...the alternatives are few, as the bench is thin.

And thats what makes the Bama's and Georgia's so tuff- Depth on the line. Even LSU back in their day.

• Like 1

Word is out there about this being the toughest camp ever.  Perhaps another reason (not the only one) for the poor play.  Perhaps the OL were tired ,sore, beat up from that.  They certainly looked lethargic.

We heard similar after the 2021 Stony Brook game which was 17-7 at half and despite 40 rushes, Oregon had only 2 hit over 9 yards all game (17 & 24 yds). Opposing coach even bragged afterwards about how his team pushed Oregon around.  Mom of OL player said her son was so sore from practices without time to recover yet.

Side note: UO had only 2 passing TDs and were from Ty Thompson in later mop up duty for Anthony Brown.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn’t dump this all on the O-line. This is the second week in a row where I think DG lacked the pocket presence that Bo had. Bo was so good at feeling when to move and we’ve all gotten spoiled and used to having Bo’s escapability, also his touch. DG over threw two balls in the 3rd quarter that Bo absolutely layers into his receiver’s hands.