FishDuck Article

Idaho Issues: We Can’t Duck the Blocking Analysis…

My FishDuck Friends, this is a difficult analysis to do because I cannot sugar-coat it as I would like. You all know that I love what Dan Lanning is building at Oregon and I believe fervently that he is the coach who can take us to a first ‘Natty, but I will not suck-up to any coaching staff as other ...

FISHDUCK.COM

My FishDuck Friends, this is a difficult analysis to do because I cannot sugar-coat it as I would like. You all know that I love what Dan Lanning is building at…

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 9
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

My Duck-Buddies,

This analysis above is one of the better and most time-consuming ones I have created over the last 13 years. While it looks long, the videos are only 15 seconds, and it is easy reading. I believe many will learn at least a little about football, as well as what went wrong.

I and so many volunteers give a ton of hours of work to provide this site free of charge, and create articles like this.  Would you take a minute to post the link on your Social Media?  Email the link to the analysis to your friends today?

It would help them going into the Boise State game, they would learn a little about Oregon football, and it would help us here be able to continue this labor-of-Duck-Love on everyone's behalf.

My thanks!

Charles

Jordan Burch creates a game-ending interception...

Burch forces interception_Screenshot from B1G Network Video.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Nice article Charles, I enjoyed reading it and it was enlightening as I wasn’t able to watch the game.  I think I will be able to watch most of the rest of the Ducks games bc I just switched to Hulu live and it appears they will have much better coverage than I was experiencing with Direct TV!

Blocking assignments and schemes are an area in football that I’m probably the least educated.  Obviously talent is needed and great talent can cover some mistakes, but IMO it’s also extremely important for the O-line to act as one.  Having a leader (usually the center) on the line to communicate and call out assignments and responsibilities is crucial I think.  Everyone needs to be on the same page all the time or blocks get missed when maybe they shouldn’t.  I think this is especially true when you face a defense that is going to use the simulated pressure strategies you spoke of.  These defenses are designed to confuse linemen and get them out of position, and if the line isn’t working as one, this strategy can be very effective.

You mentioned that Laloulu might could excel at center for the Ducks, is there a reason that he isn’t there already?  Do you expect a change coming at center?

Again, thanks for the article.  It is very informative and interesting. 👍

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the in depth review. Proof, you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks.

Edited by Gotcha
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Charles.  Superb teaching videos of that game. Very insightful!

I'm hoping Dillion Gabriel is flourishing at the top of his game by the time Ohio St. comes rolling in.  Come on Stein, work your magic!

My big concern is the center position.  That position is the QB of the front line.  As per Jackson Powers command of the front line last year.

I totally agree with your points at the end of your article.  All can be fixable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ok.  Offensive line seemed a step behind and was just "manhandled" by a defense averaging twenty pounds lighter.  I just passed it off as underestimating Idaho as an opponent and not bringing our "A" game.  But, this analysis showed a lot more concerns.

Hopefully, it is simply an offensive line that is still coming together as a unit, learning to work and protect a left handed QB, but we need to see a lot more cohesiveness and a lot less "deer in the headlights" performance against Boise St.

If the OLine doesn't "flow" against a Boise St. team that just gave up 40+, then there will be, should be, some major concerns going into the "new" civil war; and talks of a B1G championship in Oregon's first season as a member will have been Greatly Overstated!

Hard to win football games without solid offensive line play, let alone play championship football.  I am confident that Oregons OLine WILL become a solid playing unit.  But it has to happen NOW, Here at home, before we start into B1G play.

Currently I am confident and optimistic that it will happen.  Please Oregon O, make me justified in my optimism.

GO Oregon Ducks!!  🦆

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

And yet, it had to have just been the angle of the sun, right?

...please tell us it was just the sun, Charles.

Great article. I'm really anxious to see how they look tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1

Great article. However, the missed 3rd down where Pickard had to block two defenders is all Dillon Gabriel’s fault. Tez filled the open area vacated by the blitzing LB and Gabriel didn’t see him. He was too locked in on his outside WR. Tez would’ve easily picked up the first Dow and then some.

IMG_3511.jpeg

The right side of the line struggled. To me it

On 9/6/2024 at 7:53 AM, bbmichaels said:

Obviously the sun doesn’t impact blocking. I don’t  know if you were at the game, but i will tell you that it definitely impacted DG’s ability to see anything downfield in the 3rd quarter. 

I don’t understand your point. 

On 9/6/2024 at 10:05 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Great article. However, the missed 3rd down where Pickard had to block two defenders is all Dillon Gabriel’s fault. Tez filled the open area vacated by the blitzing LB and Gabriel didn’t see him. He was too locked in on his outside WR. Tez would’ve easily picked up the first Dow and then some.

IMG_3511.jpeg

Yikes.  Look at those shadows!  The sun might have impacted DG's vision on this play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2024 at 8:15 AM, Drake said:

Obviously the sun doesn’t impact blocking. I don’t  know if you were at the game, but i will tell you that it definitely impacted DG’s ability to see anything downfield in the 3rd quarter. 

I don’t understand your point. 

I completely agree that the sun impacted his ability to see the field, as I posted earlier this week. It might have impacted him seeing Tez in the example posted above. The shadows tell that tale.

Just joking around, and trying to make light of the idea that they have some serious issues to work on, and hoping for a better performance tomorrow.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/6/2024 at 4:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This analysis above is one of the better and most time-consuming ones I have created over the last 13 years.

Thank you for the detailed analysis and write-up, Charles.  

After reading your article, I am even more concerned about Oregon's offensive line play.  Based on the clips, it looks like there are issues with assignments, technique and desire.  I'm sure that the offensive line got their butts handed to them during film study earlier this week.  

Below are a few questions for you or someone more knowledgable about offensive line:

1. How correctable are the issues that you are seeing and how long should it take to "right the ship"?

2. Are we really thin on the offensive line that we can't patch it up for one game (note: it's not like we were playing Ohio State)?  

• Thanks 1

"Just my opinion." Horse Hockey!

'One picture is worth a thousand words.' You, Sir, presented a plethora of pictorial evidence, and your summation was spot on. If you enter this article as 'Exhibit A' into evidence and rest the prosecution's case, the judge, if he or she is awake, should award a summary judgment. 

No one, from the coaches to the locker room attendants was prepared to play this game. All expected the game to be over when the last note of the National Anthem sounded. Idaho had other ideas. On The Athletic, Bruce Feldman featured this no-show and pondered along with Idaho's Coach Eck, if the Vandals could have pulled off one of the biggest CFB upsets ever if Idaho had not lost four top players to the portal. For folks in Idaho, this could have been a 1980-like Miracle on Ice upset. FSU's loss to Georgia Tech would pale in comparison. (Please, Ducks, don't turn Boise into BC.)

The Ducks escaped. Now with a second group of potato pickers coming to town, the pressure is on. Boise State off a victory remains the presumptive Playoff G5 representative. The Broncos will arrive in Eugene confident and not awed by playing the AP Poll's preseason-ranked No. 3 team. This is now a huge game for the Ducks. As I have suggested before, open every season vs. Portland State. Idaho would have been paid close to $700K to upset the Ducks, keep the money in-state, and not open with a top 10 FCS opponent.

I think the ship will be righted on Saturday. But one other thing the Idaho game showed is a deficiency in O-line depth. One starter can't suit up and everything goes to Hades? Not good.

Thanks again for an in-depth analysis that was tough to read but was spot on. 

Bust the Broncos!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Replacing an NFL Caliber center was never going to be easy. 

The OL is in flux right now. Poncho, and Bedford, looked to be the starters at center, and guard. Pickard is suddenly our replacement at center, and Poncho gets shuffled over to guard. 

This was the game where we could afford to have a walk-on start at center. Pickard and Poncho were weak links in this game. Much of that is the fact that they never have played together in a game. Their inexperience was exposed.

Not too sure if the starting lineup changes, but you don’t fix inexperience in one week. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/6/2024 at 5:41 AM, SoGaDawg said:

You mentioned that Laloulu might could excel at center for the Ducks, is there a reason that he isn’t there already?  Do you expect a change coming at center?

The two players who would have filled in at right guard are both recovering from injuries, so the coaches move Poncho to guard--where he played most of last season in reserve--and rolled the dice with Pickard.

I can't second guess the coaches on that one, because I am not at practices--they know their personnel.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

My Duck-Buddies...something I forgot to add, (as it was super-late last night) is that the offensive analyst Mike Cavanaugh was a fantastic offensive line coach who is assisting A'lique Terry. I am sure he will have much more input this week, and we will see dramatic improvement.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2024 at 8:34 AM, OregonDucks said:

1. How correctable are the issues that you are seeing and how long should it take to "right the ship"?

2. Are we really thin on the offensive line that we can't patch it up for one game (note: it's not like we were playing Ohio State)?  

1. If the guards do not come back from injury--we got problems, but the issues with the other O-Linemen are not only correctable, but they have proven themselves wonderfully over the last three years. As I wrote in my conclusion, I believe the offense will gradually return to form over the season.  Enough to beat Ohio State?  Too early for me to say--

2. We were down to 3rd string at that position...

• Yikes! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Brilliant analysis and hugely informative, Charles; thank you for the time and effort. I sure hope the issues are largely correctable. Trouble is, BSU has been watchiing the same tape.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/6/2024 at 8:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

No one, from the coaches to the locker room attendants was prepared to play this game. All expected the game to be over when the last note of the National Anthem sounded. Idaho had other ideas.

The video and analysis Charles gave us the article were compelling. But the biggest adjustment the Ducks need to make for the game against Boise State to be a success is what you pointed out.  Technique suffers when the players lack focus. Get their minds on the game and the question, "What do you think about the execution of your team?" will have a different answer than John McKay gave it.

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2024 at 11:23 AM, OregonDucks said:

Yikes.  Look at those shadows!  The sun might have impacted DG's vision on this play.

I watched the video again from the side and back angles. DG seemed to look at Tez, but double clutched his throw and decided to throw it to Evan Stewart.  This pump fake drew all of the DB's toward Stewart, so he had no chance to make a first down. Had DG just hit Tez in stride he would've picked up 15 yards at the very least.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:15 PM, 30Duck said:

The video and analysis Charles gave us the article were compelling. But the biggest adjustment the Ducks need to make for the game against Boise State to be a success is what you pointed out.  Technique suffers when the players lack focus. Get their minds on the game and the question, "What do you think about the execution of your team?" will have a different answer than John McKay gave it.

Excellent trivia question answer: "I'm all in favor of it!" John McKay was one of two Ducks, John Robinson was the other, to find success at SC.

On 9/6/2024 at 7:53 AM, bbmichaels said:

Yeah... it was just the sun. That's the ticket! 😉🤪😁

On 9/6/2024 at 8:05 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

IMG_3511.jpeg

We will disagree on that, and it is fine.  Keep in mind that I ran the videos in slow-motion. In game speed--Dillon had NO TIME at all to get the pass off, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the talent is there, failure may be the best medicine. These guys may have needed a wake-up call.

The game reminded me of when we didn't have our back-up center ready and we lost the game as the O-line imploded. I know, remembering the Alamo isn't fun, but in that game the coach basically lost his job.

A great O-line is something few notice, a bad O-line is something everyone notices, sadly. Hopefully, going forward, we will notice the RB's gaining yds, the qb throwing deep, and the O-line will just get it done.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So the poor blocking was as much mental as physical. We can only hope they were hung over or at least just stayed up way too late screwing around the night before to have a clear head.

Terry is supposed to be this great up and coming coach, but he needs to get his stuff together and control his room and teach up the talent he has or he's going to destroy the goodwill and reputation he has earned to date. He also needs to improve recruiting, as that has been dropping off a bit too. He may not be long for this team if this becomes a trend.

Wow Charles. What a breakdown. For someone like me who is not anywhere near as knowledgeable of the offensive line as I'd like to be, your review is so valuable. 

Frankly, I'm still very perplexed by the Idaho game that I don't really know what to think, other than the fact that our O-line was atrocious.

As I mentioned previously, statistically, we absolutely dominated them in every key category (on 3rd down plays they were only 2-12, while we converted 7-16... 44%).

I think most people realize, and would argue, that the center position is one of the Top-5 most critical positions in football. To have lost the best center in CFB to the draft is a huge hole to replace. But, it's not like everyone and their mother didn't know it was coming.

The bottom line for me is that BSU could not be coming to town at a better time in order to tell us if we will likely be a Top-10 team this season. I think it is the perfect test at just the right time.

This is also when I'm glad that I'm not a betting man, because I have absolutely no idea what kind of outcome to expect.

And with all that being said, GO DUCKS!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

1. If the guards do not come back from injury--we got problems, but the issues with the other O-Linemen are not only correctable, but they have proven themselves wonderfully over the last three years. As I wrote in my conclusion, I believe the offense will gradually return to form over the season.  Enough to beat Ohio State?  Too early for me to say--

2. We were down to 3rd string at that position...

Thank you. I did not realize that the two backup guards were also out due to injury.  That explains a lot (but not the technique or effort issues).

Does anyone know what the injuries are to the backup guards and how long they expect to be out? [Given how tight coaches keep this information, I doubt it but thought I’d ask…]

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/6/2024 at 11:21 AM, Desert Duck said:

Wow Charles. What a breakdown. For someone like me who is not anywhere near as knowledgeable of the offensive line as I'd like to be, your review is so valuable. 

Thank you, but there is so much about football I do NOT know, but being an old offensive tackle....this was in my Wheelhouse!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2024 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Thank you, but there is so much about football I do NOT know, but being an old offensive tackle....this was in my Wheelhouse!

The more I think I know about football, the more I realize how incredibly little I actually know about the game. The deeper I try to get into it, the more I realize that it is something akin to playing 5D chess... if there is such a thing. 

This is why when we had the extreme privilege of having unicorn-rare, 'generational,' back-to-back, 1st round NFL QBs like Herbert and Nix, and watching how quickly their brains processed what was going on, and then successfully picking apart the defense, just blows my mind.

I think a lot of us need to pause and recognize how unicorn-rare it is to have one generational QB like this... let alone to have two back-to-back.

And if our o-line can do their jobs, I think DG has the potential to be another great Oregon QB.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great breakdown Charles. I’ve been waiting all week for this and you did not disappoint!

It seems like Idaho had an answer for everything thing they tried and that seems on the coaches to me. The continued mental mistakes throughout the game fall on both coaches and players. Their X defeating our O in one on one battles is on the players.

Hopefully, it can all just be a bad game for all involved. This week is a true test of Lanning’s leadership. I’m looking forward to positive results this week.

• Thanks 1

This could be not be understated how important this is....as it is from a DucksWire article in another thread and published this morning.

Reason: Knee injury

Bedford returned to practice this week after missing the Idaho game, and Dan Lanning said he is optimistic the big offensive lineman will make his Duck debut.

Spring_Game24_75.jpg

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2024 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Great analysis, Charles.  Thank you!

As an old former offensive tackle myself, it seemed to me that scheme was also a problem.  I did not spend the time you did to break down the film, but watching the game live it seems as if OBD blocking scheme required the OL/TEs to often reach block and try and block Vandals that were slanting into the run.  That's a tough ask.  

I'm not saying that there was not poor technique and communication.  That is obvious from your analysis.  For example, in the clip titled "backside sealing" #96 for the Vandals took a step in the wrong direction and Pickard could have easily blocked him and instead went to the play side (Pickard's right side) and #96  makes the play. It appears as if if Poncho is supposed to block #96, but that is a difficult task.

In that same clip, notice that Ferguson has to reach block to the defensive end (and does a good job) lined up over Cornelius and Cornelius has to reach block to the defensive tackle that is lined up over Poncho and he is not successful.  Again, in my opinion, that is a tough ask and I would prefer more straight up blocking or taking advantage of the angles and blocking back side.  

My $0.02.

Go Ducks!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, Autzen Magic said:

asking advantage of the angles and blocking back side.  

I completely agree. Put players in a better angle to make the play, or don't run the play!  

Reach blocks are hard anyway, but when the DT is slanting away from you as you noted?  Very tough...

Poncho Beat Inside.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Charles.  That was one of the most fascinating football articles I have ever read.

One primary thought - our offensive line has been practicing against one of the best defensive lines and best overall defenses in the country.  I don't want to sounds like an entitled fan and even if we're not in the top 5, we're still one of the best in the country and one that no FCS team could come remotely close to matching.  How could an impressive Idaho squad make our line look so bad?  Were there not serious warning signs in practice?

Secondary thoughts

1)  Pre-snap leadership at the line of scrimmage from Gabriel and the Oline has to dramatically improve.  Nix and JPJ were fantastic at seeing the defense, recognizing coverage and blitzers, and making those pre-snap adjustments.  DG is on pace to be the most experienced QB to ever play college football and I hope we see improvements here.  I know this takes time.

2)  I wonder how much helmet radio communications factor in here.  It's brand new and perhaps there was an over-reliance on getting the call right and maybe too much communication prior to the play vs. lining up on the ball and trusting your instincts on what you see right in front of you.

Again, thank you so much for the wonderful read, Charles!

• Applause 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:26 PM, mikethehiker said:

Thank you Charles.  That was one of the most fascinating football articles I have ever read.

This makes my-world-go-round. A compliment like that is the best that I could hope for...THANK YOU.

You know how when you embark into a project without knowing what the time commitment is going to be, and when you look back--you doubt you would have started had you known?!  Well this one was a ton of hours, and got sidelined creating this other analysis when all the examples came up.

My gut feel is that it is one of my better analysis articles over the last 13 years primarily because I am trying to answer the questions that fans have, and I had going into the project. It was worse than I thought, and that one play...the name just came out accurately as, "The Worst Blocked Play EVER," and I should have qualified it to Oregon.

When people like my work, it justifies my effort.  Since I no longer have a spouse...that is all I have to justify the time spent to!

My sincere thanks again.

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, bbmichaels said:

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 3

@Charles Fischer - EXCELLENT article.

Any concerns with OL position coach(es) at this point?

Too soon to tell?

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2024 at 4:29 PM, cartm25 said:

@Charles Fischer - EXCELLENT article.

Any concerns with OL position coach(es) at this point?

Too soon to tell?

The recruiting in this position area lags every other position group on the team.  I need to see more of the season, but having Mike Cavanaugh there to assist is massive in my mind.  Great O-line coach...

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2024 at 3:10 PM, Desert Duck said:

The more I think I know about football, the more I realize how incredibly little I actually know about the game. The deeper I try to get into it, the more I realize that it is something akin to playing 5D chess... if there is such a thing. 

This is why when we had the extreme privilege of having unicorn-rare, 'generational,' back-to-back, 1st round NFL QBs like Herbert and Nix, and watching how quickly their brains processed what was going on, and then successfully picking apart the defense, just blows my mind.

I think a lot of us need to pause and recognize how unicorn-rare it is to have one generational QB like this... let alone to have two back-to-back.

And if our o-line can do their jobs, I think DG has the potential to be another great Oregon QB.

Great take. How's Dabo doing without Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence?

Gabe has the goods. No one can succeed at QB with guys in his grill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2024 at 7:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. How's Dabo doing without Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence?

Not only without Watson and Lawrence, Clemson, along with Army, Navy and Air Force, are the only schools to not have one player come to them through the transfer portal.  It isn't by accident, Dabo believes in recruiting and building his players. Coach K was reluctant to take a "One and Done" at Duke, until he realized he wanted to keep winning.

I hope Will Stein actually allows DG to pull the ball and run from this point on.  

• Thumbs Up 2