Charles Fischer

YOUR Eyeball Test: Where Would YOU Rank the Ducks?

Whoa!  That was a very late night, (morning) with writing my article, dealing with photos from the FishDuck credentialed photographer, and getting the game digital copy done. I probably had too many tasty Oregon IPAs, drank too late without enough water.  I feel like crap this morning; was that the craft beer, or the late night?

Oh yeah. It was my mourning about this team.

One good thing?  They say even bad publicity is good publicity? As long as you are in the public eye? Damn...the Ducks are going to be the "talk-of-the-town," and not for the reasons we want.  A ton of eyes are going to now be watching for..."what went wrong?"

Anyway, there are SO MANY savvy football fans in this community, and I am so impressed with all I read.  With your eyeball test based on prior Oregon teams, and what you have seen of the CFB season thus far....where do YOU rank the Ducks?

It will be interesting to compare our predictions to what comes out later this week.

Now technically, this is not where I think we will be ranked, but my eyeball test puts us at about No. 19 in the nation...even if we get an actual higher ranking.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Remember when Oregon beat Cal on a goal line stand and the fans were booing the bland play calling? I'd say we're just above there. Actually heard some boos after three Marioesque runs up the middle all facing long to go from deep in their own territory. This team seems to be in a weird fog coaches and players included. They seem physically talented enough to solve the problem but I'm not confident yet that they do.

• Like 1

I would say we look like the 13th-ranked team in the nation. I hope we aren't the second-ranked team in the state a week from now.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Yikes! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Knock us out of the top 25. If we are worthy of it we'll work our way back into it. 

We'll have plenty of opportunities to do so and this team showed last night some flashes of potential greatness but that's now how they played for the entirety of the game.

Unless the Ducks make a significant jump this week, I expect a dog fight in Corvallis on Saturday against a Beaver team that was gutted with the departure of Jonathan Smith. 

We might also prove we're worthy of a top 25 ranking if we demolish the Beavers but I have a feeling it will be closer than it should be. 

• Like 1

Unreservedly so, but we'll still be ranked in the Top-10. 

But in reality, I think we're about #20... with amazing potential. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Talent wise I say we are a top 10 team, but as a team including both how the players are performing  and play calling I put us at 22 or 23.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 2

No. 9 is generous, hopefully it will still be a Top 10 match-up when Ohio State shows up on Oct. 12.

I re watched the game this morning and saw all the bad but this is a team that is capabale of some explosive plays.I also think that the Ducks that played Idaho would have been woodshedded against Boise St. There has been some improvement from week 1. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I have been looking for the positive about the last 2 games----- 

I am feeling really good that for both games, all the players wore the correct uniform.

As far as ranking the Ducks I am positive that we belong somewhere in the top   100.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

We should be #1, we are undefeated and have beaten two undefeated at the time teams.  You can't do any more than that.

Excuse me, Nurse Ratched, the meds are working fine.

In all seriousness, we don't deserve a top 10 ranking.  But I'm ok with it as we are now considered as much for our brand and hype like many other Power 4 programs.  How many times in the past have we seen those late season SEC cupcake games that are lackluster but don't affect rankings?

Besides, what doesn't kill you(r playoffs hopes) only makes you stronger and that's my story.

To the tune of "It's a fool's game":

It's a double U
Nothing but a double U
Hits you when it's too late
Hits you when you're down

It's a fool's game
Nothing but a fool's game
Standing in the cold where it never rains
Feeling like you’ve just seen clown show

It's a Double U
Nothing but a Double U
Love the Ducks 'til your arms break
Then they let you down

It ain't right with no love to spare
When you find they don't care for the point spread
It ain't wise to need some team
As much as we depend on them

It's a Double U
Nothing but a Double U
Hits you when it's too late
Hits you when you're down

It's a fool's game
Nothing but a fool's game

Edited by Steven A
wanted to
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

#6...at this point with two wins over decent teams, I agree with the coaches poll we move up 1 to 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe we should be ranked just above all the unbeaten FCS teams. Between the top 15-20. They are improving but they have been very uninspiring. The good thing is Idaho won also. We can only hope any team we barely beat will continue ro win.

• Applause 1

I would put them in the mid teens somewhere. Miami and USC need to be ranked ahead of them for sure.

I noticed other ranked teams played pretty bad yesterday. Penn State and Notre Dame were pretty notable as well as Kentucky. Those 3 teams played really well last weekend, so yesterday’s showings were very strange.

I’m glad they got the win, but I know they’re not in the same class with those in the top tier.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I'm disappointed in the Ducks this morning, by the end of the season we may have just beaten a #15 11-1 BSU team with a Heisman finalist running back.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Whoa!  That was a very late night, (morning) with writing my article, dealing with photos from the FishDuck credentialed photographer, and getting the game digital copy done. I probably had too many tasty Oregon IPAs, drank too late without enough water.  I feel like crap this morning; was that the craft beer, or the late night?

Oh yeah. It was my mourning about this team.

One good thing?  They say even bad publicity is good publicity? As long as you are in the public eye? Damn...the Ducks are going to be the "talk-of-the-town," and not for the reasons we want.  A ton of eyes are going to now be watching for..."what went wrong?"

Anyway, there are SO MANY savvy football fans in this community, and I am so impressed with all I read.  With your eyeball test based on prior Oregon teams, and what you have seen of the CFB season thus far....where do YOU rank the Ducks?

It will be interesting to compare our predictions to what comes out later this week.

Now technically, this is not where I think we will be ranked, but my eyeball test puts us at about No. 19 in the nation...even if we get an actual higher ranking.

giphy.gif

I agree with your assessment Charles! I don’t get it quite frankly as to why our beloved Ducks are playing so bad on the offensive line? I guess all the preseason hype made them think they’re better than they are? I just don’t get it…

I'd have UGA, TX, OH ST, TN, USC, Penn State, Miami, Bama, Ole Miss, and Oregon. All but Ohio State, Miss, Bama, and Oregon have P4 wins. Oregon has a win vs Boise ranked 27th in Others Receiving Votes. SC has the best win with a neutral site victory over 16 LSU. 

I'd have Syracuse and Illinois and not BC and Northern Illinois in the top 25. 

On 9/8/2024 at 2:01 PM, David Marsh said:

Knock us out of the top 25. If we are worthy of it we'll work our way back into it. 

We'll have plenty of opportunities to do so and this team showed last night some flashes of potential greatness but that's now how they played for the entirety of the game.

Unless the Ducks make a significant jump this week, I expect a dog fight in Corvallis on Saturday against a Beaver team that was gutted with the departure of Jonathan Smith. 

We might also prove we're worthy of a top 25 ranking if we demolish the Beavers but I have a feeling it will be closer than it should be. 

DM, the line is OBD -20.5. Robust to say the least.

On 9/8/2024 at 5:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

DM, the line is OBD -20.5. Robust to say the least.

Win by 28 and I'll say we're worthy. 

I'm making artificially high standards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Couple more wins in a row and we should be at about #18. 

• Haha 3

We're an "Others receiving votes" team....boise played well enough to win that game.  but overcoming the KO return and punt return for TDs is too much...they almost did though when he dropped the ball before the goal line on the kick return....should have been a loss for ducks.

Miami, USC, and Utah are playing better than Ducks.  I rank Ducks at #12. 

We beat a 25th ranked Boise State team that played very well, while doing everything that would typically cause you to lose.

Rankings are a strange thing at this point in the season. Still a lot of projection about what they will be later in the season.

If I'm projecting, then I'd say Oregon is around 10th in the country.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anywhere between 6-10 seems appropriate to me. Rankings have never solely relied on game day performances. Voters have always looked at overall talent on a team and projected their belief in that talent improving during the season. Programs in the SEC have benefitted from this approach in the past. I have no problem with OBD currently getting a benefit that has been earned over the past 30 years.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Right now my gut tells me they're somewhere in the low teens.  If the OL can get incremental improvement each of the next 3 weeks they can sneak back into being a top 10 team.

It doesn't matter at all what we are ranked at this point in the season. The bench mark will be OSU at Autzen in a couple games. We keep winning against next three then the stage is set. 

Ignoring their talent and $22M NIL expenditure this year, they should be ranked about 18 to me, so their ranking is all about potential, which has barely revealed itself.  I'm especially shocked over the poor trench play.  What has impressed me is that the fans are smiling and happy and having a blast (as it looked on TV), when other fan bases would be booing alot more, so that is a great thing.  I think that the chemistry will build as the year goes on, and as long as the Ducks keep squeaking them out (a la Washington last year), then playoffs here we come!  

Edited by RickDuck
  • Applause 1