30Duck

ESPN Computer Picks Ohio State to Beat Oregon

Of course, this is the same computer that predicted wins for Alabama and Tennessee.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

ESPN's FPI took a stab at projecting who will come out on top in Eugene on Saturday night.

Edited by 30Duck

That's why we play this game on the field. 

Ohio State was supposed to win in 2021... We know how that went.

Talent is pretty equal... Though probably a slight edge to Ohio State. 

So it all comes down to execution and motivation. Does Lanning have something up his sleeve?

We'll find out in less than a week! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/6/2024 at 8:18 PM, David Marsh said:

That's why we play this game on the field. 

Ohio State was supposed to win in 2021... We know how that went.

Talent is pretty equal... Though probably a slight edge to Ohio State. 

So it all comes down to execution and motivation. Does Lanning have something up his sleeve?

We'll find out in less than a week! 

Slight quibble here. Oregon is a darned talented roster. BUT...I don't believe the Ducks" roster is as deep or as experienced as the Bucks, particularly on defense. I concede this might not matter much for a single matchup (I sure hope not anyway),but it might end up mattering over the course of a long season and potentially long playoff stint. 

Oregon has certainly left some meat on the bone, especially on offense.

Should be a really good game . . . and I think it's appropriate for tOSU to be favored.  Actually, I like it that the Ducks are coming in as the 'dog at home.

If the coaches and players can't "get up" for this one ...!

Go Ducks!!🦆

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, being the underdog is a good thing. We can't really fly under the radar ranked 3rd but I like everyone underestimating Dan, his staff, and the team!

• Thumbs Up 1

While I’m eager for Oregon to win, the offense hasn’t yet demonstrated the consistency needed to compete at the level required to beat a team like the Buckeyes.

I’ll be cheering for Oregon with every ounce of my yellow and green spirit, but I’m also bracing for what could be our first—and perhaps only—loss of the season.

That said, if the Ducks can replicate their defensive performance from the Spartans game or improve upon it, and the offense makes significant strides in blocking, explosive plays, and execution in the passing game, I believe it could be a highly competitive match up.

As always, Go Ducks!! 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2024 at 12:21 PM, GangGreen2 said:

Actually, I like it that the Ducks are coming in as the 'dog at home.

I think the "Dog" is a mixed bag. Gonzaga, soon to be part of The Scrap, has been an underdog and a Big Dog, #1 seed in "March Madness" and haven't won a title yet. My hope is this game will be the catalyst for Oregon not being an Underdog again. Like Ohio State the motivation to win will be taking care of business.

"IF" the Ducks put together their first complete game of the season, Oregon wins this game by 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

Folks,

I believe it's important to look at this game as the first midterm of the year.  This game will not define the season.  

This is much like the game in Seattle last year.  Duck Nation went absolutely out of their minds and even national pundits started questioning DL.

DeBoer is getting grilled just one week after a defining victory over Georgia.  Kirby Smart is being judged by his record against Alabama.

It's one game. Mistakes will be made.  Nobody is going to die on Saturday.  

This game will truly be about how OBD play/coach and what they learn from it.  This game will really be more about the process than the results because the ultimate results will come from what we gleam from Saturday's game.

So please , do not overreact this week.  I promise, I will not yell on screen  at any player that looks at the QB instead of covering his area or man ( matchup zone is the definition) this week.  I already know it's going to happen.

I already know the Safeties and Linebackers will determine who wins this game.  I already know the offense will not adjust the way I expect it to this week.

It's what the coaches and players respond to that matters to me this week.  Win or lose.  Because you can bet your entire existence on the fact that every playoff caliber team will scour over every aspect of this game.  

This game is the first in a series of high caliber contests OBD will face this year.  This game is a get to know you game.  It is not going to be something you can take an iron brand, stick it in fire, and plant on your cow.

Try to evaluate the game, not just any particular moment. Or any particular coach, or player.  Let nature take it's course.  We are in the conversation amongst the best in the business.  Remember that.  Savor that.  120 teams and their respective fan bases don't get that privilege.

This is the first test of several.  It's not the final exam by any means.  

• Great post! 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wish this was a pick'em, that way I would bet on osu (refuse to give them a t or caps) and happily lose my bet.

But, giving 3.5 means the Ducks will lose by 3, so I am staying away from this one.

It will be interesting to see how many people pick osu in the predication contest.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2024 at 1:08 PM, Mike West said:

So please , do not overreact this week.  I promise, I will not yell on screen  at any player that looks at the QB instead of covering his area or man ( matchup zone is the definition) this week.  I already know it's going to happen....

This game is the first in a series of high caliber contests OBD will face this year.  This game is a get to know you game....

Try to evaluate the game, not just any particular moment. Or any particular coach, or player... 

We are in the conversation amongst the best in the business.  Remember that.  Savor that.  120 teams and their respective fan bases don't get that privilege.

Ahhh... the voice of reason. I vaguely recognize it.

But wait a minute, they call us Fans (aka. Fanatics) for a reason. 😄🤪 

Great post. Thank you. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2024 at 1:08 PM, Mike West said:

Vary sane and zen perspective indeed.   But this is football!  We want to win both the mid-term and final.   You brought up last year, which is exactly my point - we failed both mid-term and final.   Let's hope we don't repeat that this year!  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike West for the win!💯

• Thumbs Up 1

If it were at tOSU? It might be tough taking the Ducks.

However, it is at Autzen, at least to this point, that makes a difference.

Over the last 30 years? Teams not in the Pac-12 have not fared so well going into Autzen for the first time.

It could be argued all day tOSU is a conference opponent but they haven't traveled out here in the meaningful time frame.

Michigan State, once under Saben and once under DeAntonio traveled out here and were sent packing. Michigan, when they were a big thing, came out here and were upset. Oklahoma, when they were still perceived as decent, didn't leave with a win (despite where one wants to place the on side kick). Nebraska when they were still thought of being a possible thing under Riley, lost in Autzen. Wisconsin, still under the direction of Alvarez, lost in Autzen 31-28. Tennessee came out, and didn't make it a game, same with Old Miss.

Opponents tend to look at the game and say tOSU has been in these situations and I get it, but it is not the exactly IMO the same situation. tOSU better? Well, maybe overall the UO is not outside the margin of error. Playing at home is a thing in college football.

No one knows what will happen, but a strong bet will be the UO (somehow) will be better on Saturday at home and tOSU will overall be not quite as good. Just how it TENDS to play out.

That could be the difference. I haven't been a Phil Steele guy for a long time; but, back in the day he placed the Autzen advantage at 6-7 points. Not 3.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

All the Big Ten fans say that we don’t understand what a season of clashing heads in the trenches will do to our team playing a B1G schedule.

And I would say you have never played in Autzen before when it’s crazy…

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/8/2024 at 7:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And I would say you have never played in Autzen before when it’s crazy…

And it is going to be CRAZY LOUD in Autzen on Saturday afternoon. The students are back on campus and the weather looks like it will be absolutely perfect for a fall football game. If the Ducks keep it close into the 4th quarter, the crowd could end up playing a significant factor. Like record-breaking decibel levels loud. Didn't Cam Ward recently say that playing Florida at the Swamp was nothing compared to Autzen?  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2024 at 2:40 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Vary sane and zen perspective indeed.   But this is football!  We want to win both the mid-term and final.   You brought up last year, which is exactly my point - we failed both mid-term and final.   Let's hope we don't repeat that this year!  Go Ducks!

Can't argue with last year's results.  I didn't like the midterm results, but I expected the loss.  I came away very impressed with that midterm.  Told me all I needed to know about one Dan Lanning.

The players have to execute their fundamental assignments first.  To allow for them to execute overall.  That's really all football is about.   Coaches have different philosophies about what fundamental football is.  I am more than satisfied with what DL considers fundamental football.

I have not been satisfied with said execution of fundamental football from the players.  Not that they're underperforming, they just don't lock down the simple things.  That's why they lost last year.  My opinion of course.

And we know what I consider fundamental football.  I've more than pointed it out.  In my opinion, if the players do that, they'll go undefeated. They're definitely good enough if they take care of the little things. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2024 at 7:08 AM, Mike West said:

Not that they're underperforming, they just don't lock down the simple things.  That's why they lost last year.  My opinion of course.

Dan Lanning and OBD remind me of Dan Campbell and the Detroit Lions. The Lions are new to NFL elite, lots of talent, including a left tackle named Penei Sewell, but they make mistakes sometimes. Campbell doesn't like to punt; the Lions go for it on 4th down. Any time a team converts in that situation, it was a good decision, and usually if they don't convert, the execution was wrong. 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2024 at 5:11 AM, duckcz said:

And it is going to be CRAZY LOUD in Autzen on Saturday afternoon

So this is something that I am a little worried about but hopefully I am overthinking it. tOSU fans travel great. Not sure how many Oregon season ticket holders are looking at what the tickets were selling for and decided to sell this one game and pay for almost the rest of the season. I hope this isn't the case and it is 85% Oregon fans... We shall see.