30Duck

Day In or Out at Ohio State?

Right now, Ohio State fans don't hate Lanning and the Ducks as much as their own coach

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Day has largely been able to help Ohio State maintain its position among the elite programs in college football, but he's come up...

• Wow 1

I love to get on Ryan day because of his whining and crying after losses and just the fact that he coaches the Suckeyes. OSU partisans demand near  perfection because that's what they thought they were getting with Woody Hayes great teams and anything less is substandard. It  is absolutely unacceptable to lose repeatedly to Michigan (and now Oregon) and if he falters against the former this year, he is at serious risk of being canned. 

Honesty compels me to admit that I think Day is a damn good football coach--but maybe not good enough to satisfy a marginally delusional fan base in the state of Ohio.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day has a terrific record. Along with the tOSU support staff, he is a top-drawer recruiter.  In the 2025 NFL draft, I expect 12 Buckeye players will be drafted in the top 3 rounds. 

He is not getting blown out by the top 5 opponents. The losses to the best have all been competitive and could have gone either way. He was a 50 yard field goal miss from defeating UGA and going on to defeat TCU in the Natty. He was close to winning in Ann Arbor last season and as close as you can get, 1 point, to winning in Eugene last Saturday. 

Urban Meyer was not perfect. He lost at Purdue (GULP!) as a three-TD favorite and missed that season's playoff. Meyer won the first four-team PO, as Ducks fans know (SIGH), but only after losing early to a mediocre VA Tech team at home. He blew away Wisconsin in the B1G champ game. The B12 couldn't decide on its champion, and Meyer capitalized on the opportunity and took a four-seed to a title. SIGH.

I get the Buckeye fans' Michigan angst, but it took Harbaugh five seasons at Michigan before he defeated Ohio State. By the way, the regular season is half over, and his team is odds-on to play OBD in the B1G champ game, where Ohio State will likely be the favorite. 

Dan won the day and beat Day on Saturday. Dan is 0-3 versus UW. Ryan Day is 1-3 vs. Michigan. But Jon Gruden is available.😁

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Firing Coach Day would be a huge mistake, IMHO. His overall record speaks for itself and is nearly unmatched by any active head college football coach.  

Perhaps Ohio State should hire someone to work/mentor him (e.g., a sports/performance psychologist, a retired successful coach) to help him get over the hump in big games. As an Ohio State fan, I would be worried about his lack of accountability (e.g., pointing the fingers at refs, blaming execution). If you don't own your mistakes, you'll never improve.  For example, his time management and decisions on the final drive of the game were not good (e.g., run the ball when you are in field goal range, have your team ready or take the timeout after the offensive PI so that the clock doesn't keep running wasting valuable time).

Michigan and Oregon fans are glad that Coach Day is at Ohio State and hope he doesn't figure it out. LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazingly if he loses in the shoe, against Michigan, or even against PSU he will be on an incredibly hot seat. 

The crazy thing is if Day was fired CK could inherit something close to what he got at Oregon. He would be the OC of a very talented team he doesn't have to recruit, just be the whiz kid.  I doubt the buckeyes would make that move, but something interesting to contemplate.

They have the week off and can continue to whine and deflect accountability for the loss. Then they have a pretty tough schedule. The play Penn State, away and will have to show some resilience which isn't easy when you blame everyone, thing else, other than yourself.

What they need is some good old fashioned discipline!

whining-baby-baby-tantrum.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who would they hire to replace him? They would definitely be the top choice of schools with a vacancy. Florida, Auburn, and FSU are a mess with regard to their administrative leadership/boosters. Baylor and UNC aren't football schools and won't pay big money for a top tier coach.

Their only competition might be Penn state. They seem to have a good administration, plenty of money, great facilities and they have showed a lot of patience. However, if they don't make the playoffs, I don't see Franklin being retained.

All the great coaches are gainfully employed by top tier programs. There really isn't anybody to poach if they want to make a big splash. Freeman, Schiano or Matt Campbell might be good fits, but they would be underwhelming choices. Urban isn't coming back. Cignetti just got to Indiana, so I don't see him leaving. I'm just trying to wrap my head around who they could hire.

• Applause 1

Personally, I have no real issues with Day, 'cept for the mild aire of entitlement (probably a prerequisite for the position anyway) that surrounds him on the sidelines and in interviews.

He is a good X's and O's coach (although just a "step" behind ours) and with tOSU NIL program and school history, is able to recruit quite well.

I know the standard at tOSU is Extremely High, but with the 12 to 16 team playoff formats in place, the focus should be simply getting there with as complete a roster as possible.

I hope tOSU will have the patients to let Day grow, and hopefully adapt, to keep tOSU competitive even if it's not undefeated or one loss seasons each and every year.  Which might be hard for tOSU fans to digest.  (How hard would it be for OBD fans if Lanning and company were to lose in the playoffs to...Alabama?!)

I think a long-term, competitive, dynamic, salty, rivalry between tOSU and Might Oregon, thus Day vs Lanning, would not only bolster the strength and reputation of the B1G but also help elevate the new Nfl-lite as a whole.

Of course only time (and money) will tell; but fans everywhere are needing to "temper" their season long expectations until it is known how all the "dynamics" of this new "league", and how all the playoffs seedings and guaranteed conference participants in said playoffs, actually play out.

Until then let's ALL hope for several games each season that gives us what we got in the most recent rendition of Mighty Oregon vs tOSU.

GO. DUCKS!!  😎

• Applause 1

If they fire Day then who would they hire? I'm sure they'd find someone but I have a hard time believing they'd find someone who is an all around upgrade. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, David Marsh said:

If they fire Day then who would they hire? I'm sure they'd find someone but I have a hard time believing they'd find someone who is an all around upgrade. 

I hear Lincoln Riley may be available by seasons end...😉

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem is more with the fans than the coach!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

OK...this is funny!

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

I've heard that Woody Hayes was actually cryogenically frozen back in the day, and is ready and waiting to be thawed out if Day loses one more time to Michigan. That would help by at least eliminating the need to recruit wide receivers.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Given the sheer delirium I'm seeing from tOSU fans online they might demand the AD try and FORCE Nick Saban out of retirement to coach the Buckeyes.  Yes it's that insane.

• Wow 1

On 10/17/2024 at 4:42 PM, jrw said:

I've heard that Woody Hayes was actually cryogenically frozen back in the day, and is ready and waiting to be thawed out if Day loses one more time to Michigan. That would help by at least eliminating the need to recruit wide receivers.

I think Woody is still Punch Drunk. 😁

Kirk Ferentz has passed Amos Alonzo Stagg and is closing in on Woody for the most wins in the history of the B1G. Stagg coached for 41 years at the University of Chicago. Paterno passed Stagg for the B1G coaching longevity award. Too bad Joe didn't go earlier. 

On 10/17/2024 at 5:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think Woody is still Punch Drunk.

Coaching has come a long way since this.

Untitled-1.jpg

Take a look at the 31:00 mark of this video. The “Bussin’ With the Boys” guys (Taylor Lewan and Will Compton) cross paths with Ryan Day in the tunnel well before the game starts and he doesn’t even acknowledge them. Some might call it focus but he looks like he has the weight of Ohio on his shoulders.

Contrast that with their interaction with Lanning at 35:50. Sure, DL won, but he gave these guys full access prior to the outcome. It probably doesn’t hurt that they both played with MM8 in Nashville. However, I feel like Oregon’s administration gives DL a lot of leash when it comes to marketing his program. It seems like Day has a very short leash.

That’s probably the difference between blue bloods and new money.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2024 at 7:08 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

. Some might call it focus but he looks like he has the weight of Ohio on his shoulders.

Contrast that with their interaction with Lanning at 35:50. Sure, DL won, but he gave these guys full access prior to the outcome.

The expression is, "If you love what you're doing, you ain't working"

Lanning ain't working. Day is pulling all-nighters. Lanning has 6 alarm clocks go off. Day probably hasn't had a good night's sleep in years. 

Ther's no joy in winning at Ohio State now. Just rage over losing and never accepting that the other team played better. 

• Great post! 1