Duck 1972

Serious injuries

Well we just found out we've lost R Walk for several weeks and that S Stephens is more long term.

Let's see 2 starting TE, our starting RB, our #1&2 inside LB, our starting nickel back and field safety all out for the season.

We have had 8 games with new OL starters and now it will be 9. We have lost JT and other DL and LB for numerous games. I don't think we have played a single game with all are starters from the start of fall camp. I just don't see how we can keep overcoming these injuries.   Have any of you seen anything like this for ANY other teams, college or pro? Wouldn't u know it would happen this year when we could be so good. It almost feels like when D Dixon went down.

Often heavy injuries come from using poor technique . . . ? 

On 11/9/2021 at 3:15 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Well we just found out we've lost R Walk for several weeks and that S Stephens is more long term.

Let's see 2 starting TE, our starting RB, our #1&2 inside LB, our starting nickel back and field safety all out for the season.

We have had 8 games with new OL starters and now it will be 9. We have lost JT and other DL and LB for numerous games. I don't think we have played a single game with all are starters from the start of fall camp. I just don't see how we can keep overcoming these injuries.   Have any of you seen anything like this for ANY other teams, college or pro? Wouldn't u know it would happen this year when we could be so good. It almost feels like when D Dixon went down.

Seems to me: it happens every year!

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel Duckdude is correct. Injuries happen every year.  Toketeeman may be right about using poor technique.... just don't know.

However this year it is magnified because so many big time, key players are suffering injuries....

In years past a 3 star or walk on was next man up. Now, with 3 solid recruiting classes by MC, the next man up has talent. And they play like it.  Bassa is an example.

Depth with talent has brought us to 8-1. It appears that this will be the case and story this year. Also, coaches have the replacements ready to play.

Go Ducks.... 1-0 this week.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting topic, I wish there could be some clarity, but agree the injuries seem over the top this season. The good news is the players and coaches have stepped it up. 

Next man up, and lucky for us:

Silver lining #1 Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting

Silver lining #2 Maybe the transfer portal isn't looking so good with opportunities to be the next man up

Silver lining #3 We have those Husky "rejects".

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Football is a rough sport made even rougher with athletes who are bigger, stronger, and better trained these days. Lest we forget, there are always a lot of guys out with injuries, or nursing injuries, by mid November which is why, as many above have pointed out, recruiting is such a critical component to a teams' success.

One thing that works to Oregon's advantage is that, thanks to Phil Knight, the Ducks have a rehab facility that is second to none in the nation. I have a friend who works there who tells me that injured ex-Duck NFL players can  often be found rehabbing there in the off season because the place is nothing short of spectacular. As we all know, Phil Knight has been very, very good to Oregon.

Although we have some key players out for the season, no injury was more devastating to the Ducks than losing CJ Verdell. It makes my heart hurt every time I see replays of the Ohio State game. Although Dye has stepped up in his absence,  the running back quality after Dye drops precipitously. Cardwell is the next best bet, but as he proved in the Washington game, he's still learning to deal with the complexities of the college game.

Every single team has suffered attrition from injury at this point in the season. The teams that continue to be successful are the ones who have a quality next man to step up. As Stephen A said, "Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting." While Cristobal drives me crazy sometimes, he is the best recruiter BY FAR that we have ever seen in the history of Oregon football and it has contributed greatly to Oregon's ability to get critical late season victories during his tenure.

• Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely, without doubt. the worst thing about football is the injuries. latracey's take is spot on. However, it is rare to lose your OC to emergency surgery. At least Puddles is still standing.

On its undefeated run under Joe Burrow, when Coach O was worshipped in Baton Rogue, in 12 of 15 games that season the Tigers played its original starting lineup. In the other 3 games it was only 1 starter down. When it comes to injuries luck matters. This was extraordinary good luck for that LSU team.

No team is immune. Bama lost its starting center early in the game vs LSU last Saturday and the Bama OL was mauled by the LSU D, a D with many guys out due to injury. Bama had a net 6 yards rushing against a team that UCLA ran roughshod over.

As Steven A notes, Next Man Up. Remember the team won in Columbus without Mr. T and Flowe. And Always Say Dye is handling the extra reps and playing the best ball of his career. And also credit J M's excellent play calling and the outstanding play of a banged up OL. Oregon owned both LOS in Seattle.

"We few, we very few. We band of brothers." The heavily outnumbered Brits won at Agincourt. Ducks will do the same. On to the Cotton/Orange Bowl!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for everyone's response. I know injuries are part of it. And I have posted before about recruiting giving us depth. But I still am waiting for the dam to break. I hate that feeling. It makes it tough to watch the game.

For what it’s worth, I believe MC’s response regarding this season’s injuries was that he’s never experienced anything like it in his playing or coaching career.  Solutions notwithstanding, you know at the very least it has his and the coaching staffs’ attention. Under his guidance, the program protocols appears to be detail driven which gives me reason to think they’ll be revisiting strength and training regimens after the season is over. Is it a situation that could benefit by modification, or just simply behind the eight ball bad luck?  Certainly hope it’s the former.

That's why Suamataia's transfer hurts even more...   We could really use a 5-star FR like him now.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:15 AM, toketeeman said:

Often heavy injuries come from using poor technique . . . ? 

Sometimes... but we have quite a few freak injuries that have sidelined players this year too. Often the worst injuries are non-contact injuries that don't inherently have anything to do with technique. 

KT's injury this year could be considered a contact injury of sorts he was knocked down but it was more the way he fell than the fact that he fell. His ankle wasn't targeted or hit, he just was knocked down and he fell funny. In some regards that was just a non-contact falling funny ankle injury. 

Flowe hurt his foot in the start of the season. I don't know how he did it but I would guess it was another non-contact injury as he didn't seem to get knocked down in a way that hurt his foot. 

I would say this is all just incredible bad luck this year and it is a miracle we have survived as long as we have the way we have. In part it is why I can forgive some of the less-than-dominant wins because we still have wins with this many injuries. 

On 11/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, David Marsh said:

Sometimes... but we have quite a few freak injuries that have sidelined players this year too. Often the worst injuries are non-contact injuries that don't inherently have anything to do with technique. 

KT's injury this year could be considered a contact injury of sorts he was knocked down but it was more the way he fell than the fact that he fell. His ankle wasn't targeted or hit, he just was knocked down and he fell funny. In some regards that was just a non-contact falling funny ankle injury. 

Flowe hurt his foot in the start of the season. I don't know how he did it but I would guess it was another non-contact injury as he didn't seem to get knocked down in a way that hurt his foot. 

I would say this is all just incredible bad luck this year and it is a miracle we have survived as long as we have the way we have. In part it is why I can forgive some of the less-than-dominant wins because we still have wins with this many injuries. 

Great thoughts. Add in Herbert and B Williams in drills and warmups.