30Duck

Taking the Temperature of the Coaching Seats in the Pac-12

Interesting article about what they say about Cristobal, and Lake.  I was also left amused thinking about their comments toward the future of Wilcox, as what they suggest is QUITE plausible IMHO.

Justin Wilcox at Washington.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Washington is committed to a winning program more so than is Cal so it makes sense that way, fans at Cal just aren't all that interested, Washington fans are delusional. take your pick. If Smith left Oregon State to go back to Washington, Taggart would be the second most hated former football coach in the state.

• Like 1

You know...I don't think Smith would leave.  I think he would get a raise and stay; the amount of slack he would given in Corvallis--is so different than Seattle--whew!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You know...I don't think Smith would leave.  I think he would get a raise and stay; the amount of slack he would given in Corvallis--is so different than Seattle--whew!

I don't think so either.  The sledding is obviously tougher in a place like Corvallis but he's done a good job navigating the program to better levels of success.  Plus home is home, that's a tough thing to give up.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Jonathan Smith leaves its not for a Pac-12 job. I see him getting a raise and extension. If not, I could see him taking over a big time Big 10 school (Michigan State, Penn State may both have vacancies). I could also see the League coming after him as a well paid OC in the near future.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, 30Duck said:

If Smith left Oregon State to go back to Washington, Taggart would be the second most hated former football coach in the state.

Personally, I don't hate Taggard any more.  Hated they way he lied and left us, but SOOOOOOOOOOOO thankful he did now that we see the aftermath .... Cristobal left "behind" and him getting less than 2 years at his dream-turned-into-nightmare job.

Would UW go for another D Coach after Lake? Don't think so. Smith makes better sense but has the PAC ever had a HC immediately change to a different league team before?

On 11/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, Duck 1972 said:

but has the PAC ever had a HC immediately change to a different league team before?

Not the Pac-12, but in 1964 Tommy Prothro coached at Oregon State, in 1965 he was the head coach at UCLA. 

On 11/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Would UW go for another D Coach after Lake? Don't think so. Smith makes better sense but has the PAC ever had a HC immediately change to a different league team before?

sarkisian to usc after kiffen

that worked out well

Edited by DR Hilarius
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think these driven coaches are looking for slack. They might end up looking for a place where they can win and win big.  Montlake isn't a place where you can win big, and he knows that.

These coaches in small programs are either happy, or building their resumes, like Riley, to go elsewhere. 

The unique thing about OSU is they have proven they will take back their coach after leaving, something the Ducks won't do.

With that I think Smith will take a very similar path that Riley did, maybe not the pro game, but he will test his metal at a big program some day if he has continued success. He will then come back and bring the beavs back to mediocrity, and all will be good in cornvalley.

5tqk3c.jpg

On 11/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't think so either.  The sledding is obviously tougher in a place like Corvallis but he's done a good job navigating the program to better levels of success.  Plus home is home, that's a tough thing to give up.

Agreed. Corvallis is a place where a good coach can carve out quite a good life. If he got them to a Rose Bowl he would become a bigger legend than Pat Casey……believe it, or not.

wilner doesn’t mention david shaw. shaw has to be warming up. 

On 11/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, 30Duck said:

Washington is committed to a winning program more so than is Cal so it makes sense that way, fans at Cal just aren't all that interested, Washington fans are delusional. take your pick. If Smith left Oregon State to go back to Washington, Taggart would be the second most hated former football coach in the state.

Wilcox needs to bail before his rep is destroyed. Does CAL even care about CFB/CBB anymore? Ditto Stanford in terms of recruiting and fan interest.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, DR Hilarius said:

Shaw, the highest paid coach in the Pac-12. Poor Puddles; saddled with these kind of partners. And the Pac-12 so-called referees on The Farm with back to back to back bad calls, could well have cost the Ducks a PO spot and the conference $6M.

BTW, last Saturday in Seattle. Could Head Referee Mothershed and his crew done anything more to slow the game down in bad weather? Are both the sideline ref and line judge on this crew blind? How about the review that wasn't a review because the next play had been run? Then why the expletive deleted review?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, DR Hilarius said:

Stanford is in a tougher situation than Cal I'd say. The fans are meh but occasionally have expectations. 

Then Stanford has stricter enrollment requirements and to make matters more difficult they aren't allowing any athletes to enroll into grad programs unless they apply and earn that spot independently of the program. Now I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing for Stanford academics but that does mean that once players graduate with their undergrad there is nothing to keep them around and they enter the transfer portal of the NFL isn't their move. Also means grad transfers are out of the question. 

Stanford also can't make much use from the transfer portal due to the academic side of things. In the end Stanford is definitely one of the biggest losers from the transfer portal... Can't use it and only lose players to it. 

Shaw probably has till his contract runs out or he moves on. No one is going to want that job that is better than him at this point. If you fire a coach in this day and age you better know what you want in a replacement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, David Marsh said:

Stanford is in a tougher situation than Cal I'd say. The fans are meh but occasionally have expectations. 

Then Stanford has stricter enrollment requirements and to make matters more difficult they aren't allowing any athletes to enroll into grad programs unless they apply and earn that spot independently of the program. Now I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing for Stanford academics but that does mean that once players graduate with their undergrad there is nothing to keep them around and they enter the transfer portal of the NFL isn't their move. Also means grad transfers are out of the question. 

Stanford also can't make much use from the transfer portal due to the academic side of things. In the end Stanford is definitely one of the biggest losers from the transfer portal... Can't use it and only lose players to it. 

Shaw probably has till his contract runs out or he moves on. No one is going to want that job that is better than him at this point. If you fire a coach in this day and age you better know what you want in a replacement. 

Great call David. Eliminating the student/athlete grad school preference at Stanford drove a whole lot of good Stanford CFB players into the portal.

When Stanford had McCaffery and the great team that blew out Iowa in the Rose Bowl, the 1st game screw up at NW and the L to the Ducks kept a much better team than the MI ST team that got in, out of the PO. That Stanford team would not have been blown out by Bama as was the MI ST team that OR had beat on the road but for a bad throw. For some reason Shaw can no longer attract NFL bound studs. Despite the academics, only a few seasons back the Cardinal routinely sent guys onto the NFL. In particular, TEs and OL guys. For some reason, those kind of guys no longer matriculate at Stanford.  

When Shaw lost DC Mason to Vandy it showed and it hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Jonathan Smith is staying a long time in Corvallis.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

OT - but former Pac-12 player and coach, Jim Mora, is the new HC at UCONN. Best of luck Jimmy. 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:13 AM, Jon Sousa said:

I think Jonathan Smith is staying a long time in Corvallis.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Be true to your school or to Mammon? If OSU continues to show steady growth, an AD somewhere will be tossing more $ at JS than OR ST can possibly match.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/10/2021 at 7:53 PM, David Marsh said:

Wow great stuff, well thought out information my little brain never could have come up with! I wonder if that middle of the road academic power up north has the same problem?

5tts3v.jpg

• Haha 3

On 11/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, Haywarduck said:

Wow great stuff, well thought out information my little brain never could have come up with! I wonder if that middle of the road academic power up north has the same problem?

5tts3v.jpg

The poor pooch looks like he has watched too many of Charles' kitty videos?

• Haha 4

Wilcox to WA?

On 11/11/2021 at 10:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

I wonder if that middle of the road academic power up north has the same problem?

You mean the purple one?

Nawwww.. they're just bad.

Stanford can safely say they do not recruit against Oregon on a regular basis. Washington cannot say the same thing. They often go head-to-head with Oregon and just lose. Oregon and Stanford RARELY show up recruiting the same players. Just think of how many times you have seen Oregon and Stanford logos on a recruits Top # list?

• Thumbs Up 1