30Duck

Canzano: Place Your Bets on the New Pac-12 Coaches

That this is even a question is proof positive that Lanning is comparable at the least.

Fuskies will now have just enough hope to be gut punched by their yearly beat down. USC will now have enough cred to give the Ducks that coveted quality win.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dont go so fast on the idea that the Ducks are a given winner over USC when we meet. That will be a very tough game.

I think Riley has to get the nod here. More HC experience and a loaded base for recruiting. I feel that Riley and Lanning will trade wins in the

next 5 years. Dickert is at WSU which even with Leech just never quite made it to the top so due to proximity I don't think he'll recruit as well

and that will have WSU getting 1-2 more L's a year than UO/USC. 

With that being said the P12 just got better with those 3 new HC hires as well as Smith at OSU and Willingham at UT the P12 should be a

force to reckon with in the next 2 years. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The PAC isnt going to be a walk in the Park for Lanning in fact I think its going to really tough on him--He will learn some hard lessons just as did Leach. MC as well as Carroll.

This is how I see it.

5xjpuf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

DeBoer is at WSU

He's actually at another major Washington university, one located in Seattle.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:59 AM, jrw said:

He's actually at another major Washington university, one located in Seattle.

LOL duh. Too much coaching carousel. I'll still stick with my 1-2 loss comparison though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Riley has the highest probability of topping this list.  But if Lanning looks anything like other GA coordinators in their HC careers, I think Lanning probably dominates.  

Lanning is going to bring an SEC style program to the P12.  In the CFP, when paired up against the SEC, Riley's teams have been utterly stomped.  Yes, some of those SEC teams were very good but Oklahoma's weakness has always been defense.  It isn't like he had sub-optimal DCs nor did he lack in talent on that side of the ball.  He has just never been able to have a consistent defense.  

If the Ducks get a solid O and in any real way look like an SEC defense, the Ducks will be the program to be feared in the P12 (Not that USC won't.  They will.  Washington probably the #3 power in the league.).

Let me ask this-- Would you rather have Lincoln Riley or Dan Lanning? 

I think and its just my opinion that this board would be off the charts if Riley was the new coach at Oregon.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Would you rather have Lincoln Riley or Dan Lanning? 

Would you rather have Brian Harsin instead of Dan Lanning?

If Riley is looking to jump to the NFL I'm not sure he maked it as USv for give years. 

It will take one year to start turning that program around for starters. Again... Only have 25 scholarships to work with more or less and he has a whole lot of duds on that roster from some less than good recruiting classes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no say in who we hire for coaches. I can only address my opinion which is purely opinion and speculation. 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:40 AM, 30Duck said:

Would you rather have Brian Harsin instead of Dan Lanning?

Dan Lanning with the proper support staff and a knock out OC

• Thumbs Up 1

If I could hire and pay for the coach then it would be Lane Kiffin--The best O mind in all of college football.

Edited by 1Ducker1
spelling

On 12/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

If I could hire and pay for the coach than it would be Lane Kiffin--The best O mind in all of college football.

I've heard and read all about Kiffin in the last couple of days. The man has a train load of baggage. Although he showed interest in the Oregon job, rumor has it that Phil Knight wasn't interested. I've heard that Phil was more hands on with this hire than any before. Quality of character was one of the big boxes that needed to be checked.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think and its just my opinion that this board would be off the charts if Riley was the new coach at Oregon.

You don't like the hire.  I think we got it.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You don't like the hire.  I think we got it.

Thats not exactly true.

I think its a good long term hire if he stays.

But its not a short path to a championship in the nest 3 years.

You can call me impatient if you want and that would be true.

I would rather have Lanning.....

If PK is fully behind this new hire then the checkbook will be wide open for the best OC and DC.

Riley will recruit, coach and build a 40 plus point per game offense at USC.

Riley could not and may not build a defense at USC. As we saw at OU.

Lanning has, can and will build a SEC type defense at Oregon.

Now we need the proven OC who wants that 45 plus point game. Every game.

Within 2 years both Oregon and USC should dominate the PAC and hold top 10 rankings.  Both schools can make the CFP every year in the same year. Huskies can simply watch.......

Lanning has all the potential to counter the Riley hire.

Gonna be a fun journey to follow 

• Like 1

I would rather have whoever ended up at Oregon!

There are programs where coaches become better, and programs that eat coaches. I think it is about the program, more than the coach!

We had to hire a quality coach whose character wasn't suspect. The rest is up to the support and culture of the program. 

At Oregon Lanning will have the support and culture set up to win. At sc Riley doesn't have as much support, as expectations, and the culture at sc is toxic. Watching repeated sc games where players are jumping up and down pointing at themselves while their teammate had to get up by themselves was pathetic. 

Riley is a fine coach, no doubt. I would rather have an excellent character coach at Oregon, and that is what we have.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

But its not a short path to a championship in the nest 3 years.

What's great about this Forum is that we all have our  thoughts and opions on all things Ducks, and express them here. I disagree completely with your 3  year forecast of Lanning as head coach. With what was available I think Lanning gives Oregon the best coach possible for next season and on from there. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

All we can do is wait and see --its all good

• Thumbs Up 2