Charles Fischer

Great Article! Coach Dan Lanning Arrives in Eugene: "I Feel Like the Luckiest Man on Earth"

Appreciative Of His Opportunity, Lanning Ready To Get To Work

I feel like the luckiest man on Earth," Lanning told the team. "I chose this place. And I'm lucky enough it chose me back."

APPRECIATIVE OF HIS OPPORTUNITY, LANNING READY TO GET TO WORK by Rob Moseley of GoDucks.com

Lanning Family Tarmac Arrival

Lanning, who has helped make Georgia's defense arguably the best unit in all of college football the past three years, told the Ducks they will play "championship-level defense … but that doesn't mean we aren't going to air it out on offense."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

In the house!

One has to wonder if Oregon might truly become "home" for the Lanning family... I know that it's hardly a surprise the way most coaches consider any team a tranition to the next big thing, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Brooks ground out a long term ride at Oregon, with little glory to show for the effort.

It would be a wonderful surprise for a young coach to come in, and build on Oregon's legacy for the long run.

Either way, Go Ducks, and welcome to the Flock, Coach Lanning!

Good luck, and Merry Christmas to us all!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, woundedknees said:

One has to wonder if Oregon might truly become "home" for the Lanning family... I know that it's hardly a surprise the way most coaches consider any team a tranition to the next big thing, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Brooks ground out a long term ride at Oregon, with little glory to show for the effort.

It would be a wonderful surprise for a young coach to come in, and build on Oregon's legacy for the long run.

Either way, Go Ducks, and welcome to the Flock, Coach Lanning!

Good luck, and Merry Christmas to us all!

Forty years ago, I fled from the mid-west at about the same age as Lanning. Within a couple of months of arriving in Oregon, I knew I would never be living anywhere else again. It happens, and it happens to many.

• Like 1

My grandfather got to Oregon , after growing up in Kentucky and Oklahom in the late 19th century by driving a herd of cattle (on horseback, no less) from around Stillwater to Bozeman,  then bringing a herd of horses to the Willamette Valley, just before  the turn of the century... He and his brothers liked the place so much, they never went back.

It happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to Oregon Coach Lanning and family. Nothing but the best wishes, in all things,  for you and your beautiful family.

Win or lose, you will find that this fan base will support you. Unlike other fan bases in the PAC the Duck fans have SEC like passion.

You will find that out at your first home game. Autzen rocks on game day.

The foundation is laid with the current players. Looking forward to your 2022 recruiting class and great use of the portal. Excited about the staff you will build and game day coaching skills.

Coach Lanning the previous coaches from Coach Brooks thru Coach Cristobal have driven the Duck football program right to the gates of the football promise land.

The keys to the Ferrari are in your hands. Since the 2014 season she's been in the middle lane doing 65. Give her a tune up, beef up the suspension and increase the horse power.

Time to turn her loose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome, we feel like the luckiest program in the country! You are already speaking our language, air it out!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to today’s intro with the team.  Got a feeling there will be a ton of energy and enthusiasm in the room.

How cool would it be to have Rich Brooks on hand who in 1977 mirrored the experience of Lanning when he took over the program also at age 35.  And who was his first opponent?  Georgia at Athens.  A stellar showing for the Ducks who lost by a score of 27-16 when many were expecting an epic blowout.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great post. Thank you. 

He talks the talk. Hoping, unlike Mario, he will walk the walk Including 'airing it out.'

• Thumbs Up 1

Great looking family.  Welcome to Oregon and hope you enjoy this state as much as we do!

I let this all sink in for a couple days, then evaluated my true inner opinion vs knee jerk emotional reactions by observing how I felt at the time when 4 different guys were actually reported somewhere in print to be the choice. Then how do I feel when dust settled.  It all points to UO got the right guy.

Lane- loved it at first. National shock hire to counter Riley.  When Wilcox and Chip were in print has having been the choice, I had the “damn, what if we pushed harder for Lane” reaction.  Then reality enlightened me that no way would PK nor the Board of Trustees approve his scandalous background for the UO/Nike image.    Also not a guaranteed track record. He was never gonna be the guy. (Same goes for Urban but that was never gonna happen for any college team right now, though does not hurt to check on the situation; and even worse baggage.). 

Chip- when media reported it was done deal I did the OMG FML.  Prayed it was a smokescreen leak. Still feel that way.

Wilcox- see Chip.  Although like Joey H, I preferred him over Chip.  But as one poster said, Wilcox has the energy of Eeyore.  He might be a worse recruiter than Chip.  No thanks.  Still feel we dodged a bullet.

Lanning- thrilled at first.  Then rumors of Wilcox back in mix/denial reports that a Lanning was the offer made me think, ok maybe I don’t want first time coach.  Then more I pondered, my gut was saying, dammit here was our chance for a sky is the limit hire.  I don’t wanna be stuck in reverse or neutral.  How could UO have messed this up and we are back to a Wilcox hire (yawn- see Eeyore). Still feel that way.

Conclusion: thrilled we got Georgia’s DC who is a recruiting monster and huge names in this sport wanted him on their team. That covers the HC angle for me.  If UO did not get him and went with the other names, I would still have been kicking myself.  But not vice versa.

Lanning was and still is the one I do not want to be “the guy that got away.”

There is my answer.  Lanning.
Edit: look at the current  players who have publicly shared they are thrilled.  Keeping that intact is huge.  Doubtful the same player reaction comes if it was JW.

• Thumbs Up 2

One cannot discount the recruiting advantage of Lanning’s geographic familiarity with the southeast.  That’s one important factor that set him apart from the other runner-ups.  Can’t wait for an SEC style defensive line that will wreak havoc in the PAC 12..

What's the goal everyone of us had when we started in our profession of choice?

Wasn't it to be the best we could be and get to the top or as high as we could go?

What's the top of coaching? I believe it's the pros. I won't fault anyone that pursues that option.

I don't agree that someone should stay where they are at unless the move is lateral.Thus every job is a stepping stone in a sense.

To expect a person to stay when they believe they have an opportunity to challenge themselves with a promotion makes no sense.

To expect a coach to do anything that the rest of us would not do is unreasonable. 

Therefore just take what's occurring and enjoy the ride.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, Orebcker said:

One cannot discount the recruiting advantage of Lanning’s geographic familiarity with the southeast.  That’s one important factor that set him apart from the other runner-ups.  Can’t wait for an SEC style defensive line that will wreak havoc in the PAC 12..

Interesting that one of his best DBs, Ringo, is from Tacoma.