30Duck

Dabo: the Transfer Portal is "Chaos"

• Thumbs Up 3

And meanwhile, I wonder what percentage of players who enter the portal end up without a team at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dabo has a front row seat to watch the various scenarios that occur.  Add NIL agreements and then you will have individuals with questionable morals from the “win at all costs” crowd appear. 

I know there are legit reasons for a player to enter the transfer portal. However, it would be naive to think that every player that transfers has never been contacted by another coach, or representative, regarding playing time and monetary “opportunities”. 

In many cases these are still teenagers, and being exposed to moral corruption/tampering, especially if money is involved is shameful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Reality.....coaching, admin, universities, broadcasters, companies have been making billions on the backs of poor kids. 

Now the kids are starting to cash in and some rich overpaid coach complains. The game of 1960 is over. Just like major league baseball changed when the Flood decision occurred. If you want to clean up the mess......require every university to share 25% of every dollar they receive as revenue with the players in the form of food, books, supplies, transportation, clothes, health care, an annuity to start life with, a fund to help kids that become disabled from the sport, family assistance etc etc. 

Some might not like it......but somehow these same dudes think it's OK to pay a coach 12 million per year to coach kids and pay admin folks millions to sell tickets etc etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

So labor shouldn’t be able to change colleges, due to whatever reason, because it’s tough on the coaches (the employer).  Doesn’t he make millions of dollars?  Deal with it Dabo.

5y59bq.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Transfer portal with NIL is absolutely pay for play and immediate. Something has to be fixed.

I don't think they can as the courts have decided in favor of the players.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I don't think they can as the courts have decided in favor of the players.

Correct, I meant the immediate transfer part.  They can go back to sit out a year requirement, etc.

Under current arrangement, this could de-value good recruiters and be about money buying players even mid season.  

On 12/16/2021 at 1:31 PM, AllOregon said:

Transfer portal with NIL is absolutely pay for play and immediate. Something has to be fixed.

After the Supreme Court neutered the NCAA with the Alston decision there is no entity to regulate NIL in all of its shapes and forms. It's pay for play.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, Annie said:

And meanwhile, I wonder what percentage of players who enter the portal end up without a team at all.

So far it hasn't been a crazy big number but it is growing every year. The transfer portal is going to be a disaster for players

• Thumbs Up 1

It ain't just the portal, college football in general is in chaos.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

After the Supreme Court neutered the NCAA with the Alston decision there is no entity to regulate NIL in all of its shapes and forms. It's pay for play.

Correct, I meant the immediate transfer part.  They can go back to sit out a year requirement, etc.

Under current arrangement, this could de-value good recruiters and be about money buying players even mid season.  
As yep the NIL pay for play ship has sailed. But we can control transfer rules/timing.