FishDuck Article

Checking the Score: Bowling With The Playoff Committee

One game remains to be played in the 2021 college football (CFB) season. On Monday, January 10, 2022, No. 1 Alabama will play No. 3 Georgia in Indianapolis to decide, among other things, whether Oregon will open the 2022 season against the defending national champion or the runner-up. It should come as no surprise that these two SEC behemoths are ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Charles. CFB is not about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes. Round up the best recruits season after season and artfully pluck the portal and in the vast majority of games the team with the more talented roster will win.

I am not a huge fan of the Committee in concert with ESPN, releasing weekly rankings but these do provide fodder for conversation and debate and as noted in the article, for the most part the Committee gets the final rankings right. The Committee does not release an after post season ranking but the final AP vote accurately reflects what I believe the Committee would come up with. 

One thing for certain if the Pac-12 wants to get back into playoff contention it has to keep the talented west coast high school recruits at home. It will be very interesting to see in 2022 how Bo Nix a talented but somewhat erratic QB in the SEC does in Eugene in 2022. It is unfortunate for the conference that Oklahoma flipped talented QB Dillon Gabriel from UCLA.

But with Indiana QB Penix transferring to UW and playing for his former OC DeBoer, Purdue QB Plummer transferring to CAL, the aforementioned Nix to Oregon, Rising back at Utah and Dart playing for Lincoln Riley at SC, the QB play in the conference should improve over the average at best QB play in 2021.

The top teams in the SEC make it easy for the committee to get it right more often than not.

When you combine top coaching with the top recruits from all over the country the result is multiple CFP appearances and Natalie's.

Now that the SEC is pulling top level youngsters from the west coast the task is more difficult for the PAC.

However, the only thing keeping the PAC out of the CFP is on field performance. Oregon and Washington got their shots because they performed on the field.

To me, the future lies with the 8-12 year old youngsters. Because of media exposure they get to watch the top teams from around the country.  Their eyes can see and their ears can hear all the excitement from Game Day thru the games played.

But I can share with you that my 8-12 year olds were often a sleep by halftime of the late games. Even big games. So if my west coast youngsters can't make it thru an after dark game do you suppose the other youngsters around the country are awake at midnight? Not hardly...

Time slots of games matters to the future stars of tomorrow. 

Better decisions by the PAC Commish may make for a better result come signing day.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would add it is about the jimmies and joes, but also how long they have been learning the X's and O's. It is also about how long the coaches have been at that school teaching the X's and O's.

Georgia and Alabama have coaches who have been at their schools well over a complete recruiting cycle. They have their players, their processes and procedures in place. The other programs have coaches who have been hired to catch up. The question is which programs are going to be patient enough to let these coaches get their processes and procedures in place.

Now you have a Mario whose processes and procedures are suspect. Texas and USC are perennial under achievers lately. They have hired coaches  who didn't have it.

What is it, I think that is the over riding question for each program, and something I ponder often. The 'it' is a huge question which is multi-faceted, but has become an eight figure question. It is a question we will be asking as we watch Lanning grow, struggle and create data to substantiate each of our opinions.

Nick Saban wins because not only does he have the "Jimmie's and Joe's" he knows the X's and O's better than other coaches. He went from pound it up the middle, to up tempo, from Greg McElvoy to Bryce Young.

Mario didn't dp anything to keep the 10 year old's awake past halftime of "Pac-12 After Dark", it was hard enough for most of us. But Riley at USC,and Lanning hopefully will have their teams playing a style of football that not only will keep the audience awake, but keep the players at home. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The top teams in the SEC make it easy for the committee to get it right more often than not.

When you combine top coaching with the top recruits from all over the country the result is multiple CFP appearances and Natalie's.

Now that the SEC is pulling top level youngsters from the west coast the task is more difficult for the PAC.

However, the only thing keeping the PAC out of the CFP is on field performance. Oregon and Washington got their shots because they performed on the field.

To me, the future lies with the 8-12 year old youngsters. Because of media exposure they get to watch the top teams from around the country.  Their eyes can see and their ears can hear all the excitement from Game Day thru the games played.

But I can share with you that my 8-12 year olds were often a sleep by halftime of the late games. Even big games. So if my west coast youngsters can't make it thru an after dark game do you suppose the other youngsters around the country are awake at midnight? Not hardly...

Time slots of games matters to the future stars of tomorrow. 

Better decisions by the PAC Commish may make for a better result come signing day.

And I don't know how without a move into the central time zone these late KO times can be fixed. Youngsters not watching and not becoming involved today will most likely not be fans down the road.

• Thanks 1

Great writing, Charles.  This article needs this bump to the top of the list.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:29 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Great writing, Charles.  This article needs this bump to the top of the list.

The praise to Jon Joseph, the writer, is well deserved.  It is at the top of the page on FishDuck as it is today's article, and now this thread will be at the top of the forum when I publish this post.  (The posts always at the top of the forum are those that have had posts written recently.)

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, 30Duck said:

Nick Saban wins because not only does he have the "Jimmie's and Joe's" he knows the X's and O's better than other coaches. He went from pound it up the middle, to up tempo, from Greg McElvoy to Bryce Young.

Mario didn't dp anything to keep the 10 year old's awake past halftime of "Pac-12 After Dark", it was hard enough for most of us. But Riley at USC,and Lanning hopefully will have their teams playing a style of football that not only will keep the audience awake, but keep the players at home. 

Mario barely kept me awake with a noon start time. Other than tOSU and UU games, I can barely pull recall on the rest of the season. 

Agree, an astounding amount of work went into this article. Jon had an amazing amount of information put together ,and then a very interesting website, 247 Sports Blue Chip Ratio, which I had never seen, loved it. It was like a very good meal and dessert too!

I tend to write a stream of consciousness, with a little fact checking thrown in. I might add, all done between work sessions, so not too bad. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

I tend to write a stream of consciousness

Lucky you, I'm never conscious long enough to have a stream.

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 7:54 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The praise to Jon Joseph, the writer, is well deserved.  It is at the top of the page on FishDuck as it is today's article, and now this thread will be at the top of the forum when I publish this post.  (The posts always at the top of the forum are those that have had posts written recently.)

Charles, please, no one deserves any more recognition  and kudos than do my much needed editors.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, please, no one deserves any more recognition  and kudos than do my much needed editors.

There are a lot of people who give their time and I'd love to hug...were it not for COVID, and the distances!  The Moderators have been killing-it, keeping us all protected from the nasty stuff...that we don't even have to read.

One got caught the other day within eight minutes publishing; a Drive-By Troll, and both he and his gutter post won't be seen here!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Let's hope that in 2022 the Pac-12 rolls no more postseason gutter balls.

I believe that the problem with the PAC is the lack of fan interest in comparison to the SEC (8 stadiums at over 100k attendance), BIG (7 100k), ND, etc. PAC 0.

More population base in the Mid West/East and South/West by a huge margin.

That's why USC and UW have been the bluebloods of the PAC in the past. Population in LA is 8 million+ Seattle 4 million. Oregon 3 million.

The only reason we are in the equation is Nike and PK and the 4yr run of CK who's offensive revolution changed CFB for the time being.

Majority of kids like to be able to play for their hometown, regional and favorite teams (usually formed when young) and so family and friends can see them play.

Time problem for West Coast with rest of the country. I don't like watching games in the morning or after 5pm. it interferes with the evening.

More population base creates more recruits by a wide margin. Poaching of our best players by teams out of our league. Our footprint lack of the big behemoths for DL.

These are the problems as I see it and are things that are not solvable. Of course every once and a while you will have an anomaly ie best QB in the country or very experienced team led by good coaches. But as we have seen not very often.

Now u have NIL ( pay for play ). Oh well. 

Another outstanding post by Jon Joseph, filled with interesting information and opinions, good opinions, that Jon has voiced many times before.

Jon, you are a great resource for this site, and I always look forward to what you have to say.

But how on earth are you going to lower your handicap if you spend so much time at your computer?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:49 AM, DUCKED said:

Another outstanding post by Jon Joseph, filled with interesting information and opinions, good opinions, that Jon has voiced many times before.

Jon, you are a great resource for this site, and I always look forward to what you have to say.

But how on earth are you going to lower your handicap if you spend so much time at your computer?

Thank you. I watch a lot of 'Dorf On Golf.' Doesn't seem to be working.