Charles Fischer

Good! Colorado AD and HC Call for New Portal Rules

Perhaps some adults in the room begin to emerge before the Golden Goose of College Football is killed.

Karl Dorrell and Rick George Call for Updated Transfer Portal Rules by Jack Carlough of Buffaloes Wire

USATSI_16776654.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

George has some juice. He is a member of the Playoff Committee and well thought of nationally. Clearly there is a lot of 'roster tampering' going on with NIL pay for play being promised the transferring athlete. Is case folks haven't noticed, Bama has signed this season's #1 RB out of the portal. None of the free agent rules, rules against tampering, an overall salary cap and an equal share of the media proceeds to all teams, that we see in the NFL exists today in CFB.

Limiting the time in which a player can portal out would help with roster management. But on its own will not do much to fix what ails CFB.

It's really hard for me to argue against the players. I always thought the old transfer rules were punative and unfair.

Also, the old work limitations were probably illegal.

But man, this free-for-all is going to kill college football. I already feel it's at a cross roads anyway....

I have no answers 

Quickly earning the basketball equivalent of the “G” league. Recruiting 

violations are out the window. Isn’t it odd that children story’s carry the wisdom of ages, in this case the story of the golden goose and what killed it comes to mind.

PSN- If you love the game for the game, your local high school teams can use your support.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very valid concerns raised by the article.  

NIL mixed with portal is a messy Pandora's box IMO.

I don’t see a problem with it.  An employee should be able to quit and restart another job at any time.  But it should be acknowledged that the players are employees.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Pocketchange said:

I don’t see a problem with it.  An employee should be able to quit and restart another job at any time.  But it should be acknowledged that the players are employees.

The problem are the rules that limit colleges from acquiring players, or employees. The 85 limit is an issue. The real problem is that most "employees" as you say, won't end up in a better situation. Some won't even get a scholarship offer.

Yes, a few will do well, most won't. The rich will get richer and further the divide between the haves and have-nots. 

Remember too, positions are specialized, and limited in number. How does a coach manage a team effectively when at any time player's can switch schools. 

Personally, I don't like the portal or nil, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Why aren’t more ADs and HCs calling for rules to govern NIL and the Portal? They should be up in arms about how some teams’ boosters are making an absolute mockery out of “amateur” intercollegiate sports. 

There needs to be some sort of regulation or the foxes will be guarding the hen house.

A simple fix,  all Nil money should be  put in a pot and split evenly to each player.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, florida duck said:

A simple fix,  all Nil money should be  put in a pot and split evenly to each player.  

Perhaps in Nirvana or in an alternate universe, but it is not happening here. Even though the media money is evenly split,  QBs in the NFL make more money than do the guards blocking for them. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, DanLduck said:

The problem are the rules that limit colleges from acquiring players, or employees. The 85 limit is an issue. The real problem is that most "employees" as you say, won't end up in a better situation. Some won't even get a scholarship offer.

Yes, a few will do well, most won't. The rich will get richer and further the divide between the haves and have-nots. 

Remember too, positions are specialized, and limited in number. How does a coach manage a team effectively when at any time player's can switch schools. 

Personally, I don't like the portal or nil, but that's just me.

there always was have and have nots, it has always been pay for play for everyone in football except players, and restricting the movement of labor is unethical.  The term “student athletes” was specifically created to get around all labor laws.  Each and everyone of these employees can get their neck broke in the normal routine of their job and you don’t want them to be paid, own their own likeness, and not be able to move to another job if a employer mistreats them?   

this is relevant klemm is coming and if he is as awful as the lawsuit makes him out to be, I want out players to be able to escape an abusive situation.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, florida duck said:

Pass on that.  I wouldn't want that if I were a player. If I've chosen to play a sport that has a higher demand physically, inherently has more risk, more competition, and requires more effort based on it's revenue generating potential, I rightfully would expect to be compensated based and the revenue I help generate.  I would expect other athletes to be compensated based on those same factors.  

That said, I think this has quickly gotten out of hand and if left unchecked, will ruin college sports within the next 3 years.

I agree with PocketChange here. All decisions in any organization will affect many stakeholders, with both shared and conflicting interests. Thus, any decision is inherently prioritization of stakeholder interests.

So in the case of the transfer portal/nil I see those stakeholder interests as:

• coach interest in roster planning and barring talent from leaving. Which helps get them compensated millions per year
  • fan interest in keeping college football in a state they prefer for entertainment
    player interest in being fairly compensated for their labor and to have some control of it's conditions

I have little sympathy for the coach interest here. I feel limits on player autonomy if more often than not a crutch coaches lean on rather than improve as a leader. The spectacular fall of Urban Meyer when he was missing said crutch being just the latest example. The shortened window could be reasonable as to prevent last minute scrambles. But unless coaches would be ok with a window on when they can jump ship it smells pretty rank with hypocrisy.

As for us the fans, I don't really see the transfer portal hurting the viewing experience. Sure, ya might lose one of your guys, but also might pick one up. And following free agency is one of the more interesting part of off seasons in other sports. Don't see why it can't be true for cfb. With NIL I think it's at worst saying the quiet part out loud. And at best could help bring an ounce more parity to cfb. I mean, would Jackson State nab the #1 WR in a world w/o NIL.

Which brings us to the players. Who, imo, put the most on the line thus should have the largest voice and the majority of the spoils. But have until now have had the smallest and the least respectively. So even if I thought it hurt the fan experience,  I think they are the stakeholders that are most deserving of prioritization.

• Thumbs Up 4

It seems obvious to me that teams in large media markets will gain definite advantages.

There is so much more at stake here than compensation for players.

There will be a huge trickle down affect that will influence kids at all levels of play. How early will parents want the kids to focus in on a certain position or concentrate on one sport.

Now, instead of hoping for a good education, it will be which school will pay the most $$.

There needs to be more regulating of this freedom before it gets beyond help.

• Thumbs Up 3

Outstanding POV'S from all on this thread. Depends on what matters concern you the most.

The NCAA and school presidents were stubborn beyond belief on the topic of paying players. After all they know what's best for the players. So the other side of the argument took it to the courts. Guess the NCAA and school presidents didn't know what was best for the players, after all.

Once again academic prowess over ruled common sense. Wasn't there even 1 attorney or consultant who told them that they were going to lose. So the courts ruled and a massive earthquake rocked the NCAA and the schools 

Now the tsunami of consequences and change is coming ashore. You never turn your back on the waves at the ocean. The wrong side of the ruling did just that. Good or bad, here it comes. Whether the NCAA can rule on any restrictions will be challenged in court.

Only time will tell who the winners or losers will be. Unquestionably, college athletics are undergoing a massive change and I hope it's for the better.