Charles Fischer

Saban Wants to "Save Us" from NIL?

So Saban wants legislation to control NIL?  Is he really about "the integrity of the college game?"  Or is he worried about being out-bid by other schools?  (Like A&M)

Mr. FishDuck

Whatever his motivation, there isn't anybody better to come out with a statement like this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He is worried about being out bid and recruiting coaches will matter less than coaches that can coach.  He should be worried.  The whole point of compensation is so new employers can lure employees away from their current employer.  Artificially deflating employees wage through the corrupt use of a cartel is illegal. The only reason the NCAA was allowed to do it before was relabeling employees, “student athletes”

On 1/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So Saban wants legislation to control NIL?  Is he really about "the integrity of the college game?"  Or is he worried about being out-bid by other schools?  (Like A&M)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A little bit of both probably. 

NIL is concerning because there really aren't any rules with it.  I can see rules being put on NIL but it will come at a cost of a universal salary for every player in college football, just focusing on scholarship players at the moment and not even diving into the potential walk-on mess. 

With a salary that is the same for every player that means players are getting paid which means the NCAA, or whatever the institution that manages college sports is these days, can realistically come to law makers and say players are bring paid and we need a way to stop the insanity of NIL to restore some integrity to the sport. 

This salary would have to be universal across all schools, or at least division 1, or else there is the problem of a bidding war continuing which doesn't solve any problem. Or... We just go straight down the route of making this a true feeder league to the NFL in which case... Salaries for players anyways. 

I have no answer just random ideas. But I also know that Saban doesn't like being out recruited.

Structure with time tables for portal use might help. You could even set up basic equal monthly payments to players  This is something within the NCAA and schools control. Some action might be possible once the lawyers hash it thru. Remember you could pay every player on your team $1,500 per month.bit the player has their NIL rights. 2 separate issues 

But no legislation by these forces are in play for NIL. This is between the player, who owns the rights to their NIL and whoever wants to buy those rights.  Smart players whose parents lawyer up may have the ability to sell their NIL rights to multiple bidders. It's wide open.......

Another random thought ... 

I know TAMU has their plethora of NIL money to their recruits but the other side of things built into that contract is that those players are locked into TAMU if they actually want the money.  The downside is that if a player finds themselves unhappy and stuck on the depth chart transferring comes at a huge expense.... But then again ... They are getting paid so that feels like a decision that is purely on them.

I guess I would like to see NIL contracts to not come into play until those players have made it to campus and have actually engaged with the team. 

Beyond that... Talk about locker room dynamics right now. Money is flowing to those who haven't even registered for classes yet over those established on the roster.  Money is going to recruits over the roster it feels like at this time and it will continue that way because the acquisition of talent is where donors are more interested in spending the money than on the existing players. 

On 1/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, David Marsh said:

A little bit of both probably. 

NIL is concerning because there really aren't any rules with it.  I can see rules being put on NIL but it will come at a cost of a universal salary for every player in college football, just focusing on scholarship players at the moment and not even diving into the potential walk-on mess. 

With a salary that is the same for every player that means players are getting paid which means the NCAA, or whatever the institution that manages college sports is these days, can realistically come to law makers and say players are bring paid and we need a way to stop the insanity of NIL to restore some integrity to the sport. 

This salary would have to be universal across all schools, or at least division 1, or else there is the problem of a bidding war continuing which doesn't solve any problem. Or... We just go straight down the route of making this a true feeder league to the NFL in which case... Salaries for players anyways. 

I have no answer just random ideas. But I also know that Saban doesn't like being out recruited.

On 1/9/2022 at 5:28 PM, David Marsh said:

Another random thought ... 

I know TAMU has their plethora of NIL money to their recruits but the other side of things built into that contract is that those players are locked into TAMU if they actually want the money.  The downside is that if a player finds themselves unhappy and stuck on the depth chart transferring comes at a huge expense.... But then again ... They are getting paid so that feels like a decision that is purely on them.

I guess I would like to see NIL contracts to not come into play until those players have made it to campus and have actually engaged with the team. 

Beyond that... Talk about locker room dynamics right now. Money is flowing to those who haven't even registered for classes yet over those established on the roster.  Money is going to recruits over the roster it feels like at this time and it will continue that way because the acquisition of talent is where donors are more interested in spending the money than on the existing players. 

If they wanted to save the integrity of the game then it's already to late by doing this in the first place. I know for a fact the SEC was cheating long before this and now they don't like what A@M just did. Certainly now the stakes just got higher for Mr Saban and his HOF career. I just hope and I mean really hope Kirby Smart out coach's him Monday night so Georgia can win it.

On 1/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He has lots of ideas like playing 9 conference games and not playing FCS schools that never seem to come to fruition. This is likely rat poison from the fox.

Wasn't the Alabama QB offered a $1 million NIL deal?

On 1/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Wasn't the Alabama QB offered a $1 million NIL deal?

That was Caleb Williams, who last was at Oklahoma, and now is effectively a Free Agent. 

On 1/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, 30Duck said:

That was Caleb Williams, who last was at Oklahoma, and now is effectively a Free Agent. 

Before the season started ...

Nick Saban says Alabama QB Bryce Young nearing $1M in NIL deals

Alabama coach Nick Saban on Tuesday detailed just how lucrative those NIL deals have been for his quarterback. Saban, speaking at the Texas High School Coach Association's annual convention, said Young is nearing $1 million in NIL money.

"Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and our quarterback already has approached ungodly numbers — I'm not going to say what they are — and he hasn't even played yet," Saban said (via The Athletic). "Hasn't even started. ... It's almost seven figures. And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet. But that's because of our brand."

• Thanks 1

Did anyone REALLY think Nick Saban isn't going to adjust, then out that dagger in again to ask these guys? A&M hasn't come close to a division title, despite their HC also winning a national title.  

I do like the  idea of the player staying with the team he signed with.  But it sure exposes just how much student athlete has disappeared from the game. I love what Kansas did with their walk on hero... They gave him an NIL deal the week after his famous TD. I also like what AB did for his teammates.  That does true leadership in my opinion.  

Teams and ADs that come up with ideas like that are going to keep their players happy.

Simply put - It’s a shi t show.