DenverDuck

An Early Look at Next Years Football Schedule

Based on how hard the Ducks tried to rally and the grit they showed vs Oklahoma, I think next season will be better than expected for a first year coach. Lanning will be out to prove something and knows how to get the most out of his talent. His D will also be among the best in the conference.

Georgia - L

E Washington - W

BYU - W

Washington State - W

Stanford - Toss Up

Arizona - W

Cal - W

UCLA - L

Colorado - W

Washington - W

Utah - Toss up

Oregon St - W

UCLA will be a very good team if DTR stays healthy. Stanford is always hard for some reason. I expect Oregon to go 10-2 and win the North again and face either Utah or UCLA in Vegas. USC needs another year to recover from years of poor leadership.

Thoughts?

If we win 10 games in Lanning's first year...we better count our blessings.  We are very fortunate to watch a lot of WINNING at Oregon.

I'd be Looking for the Catch...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, DenverDuck said:

Based on how hard the Ducks tried to rally and the grit they showed vs Oklahoma, I think next season will be better than expected for a first year coach. Lanning will be out to prove something and knows how to get the most out of his talent. His D will also be among the best in the conference.

Georgia - L

E Washington - W

BYU - W

Washington State - W

Stanford - Toss Up

Arizona - W

Cal - W

UCLA - L

Colorado - W

Washington - W

Utah - Toss up

Oregon St - W

UCLA will be a very good team if DTR stays healthy. Stanford is always hard for some reason. I expect Oregon to go 10-2 and win the North again and face either Utah or UCLA in Vegas. USC needs another year to recover from years of poor leadership.

Thoughts?

UCLA is losing a lot and I mean a lot of very good players, especially at TE and receiver on O. DTR? Erratic to date in his career. He has had his moments, but? 

I think Stanford (although always tough on the Ducks) and UCLA in Autzen will be Ws. 

At WSU if Ward, transferring in from Immaculate Word to play QB is the real deal at QB (threw for 481 yards in the 2021 bowl game) the Cougs could be trouble?

Utah returns basically all of its D. Lloyd is a big loss but the second leading tackler from Florida in 2021 is coming in to replace him at LB.

Rising is clearly the starting Utah QB from day 1. Utah's best RB could have gone pro but did not. 2 of Utah's TEs who played so well in the Rose Bowl are back. Utah opens with a W in The Swamp against new Florida HC Bill Napier and watch out. 

Arizona scares me because the Wildcats picked up the former starting QB for WSU and Oregon always seems to have trouble playing in Arizona.

I think BYU will be the difference between a very good 1st season and an OK first season.

Nix had his best year at Auburn playing for the Ducks new OC, Dillingham. I think the comparisons to Nix and Brown are way off. Nix played against far better comp in the SEC than did Brown in the ACC and in the Pac-12. Brown started and won 1 game vs a top 25 opponent. Nix has a number of wins against top 25 teams including Bama. 

It's a new day and a very difficult schedule opening against the defending national champ on the road and also BYU OOC and having 5 conference road games. Believe me when at UGA, Lanning never played 6 true road games. And if you are going to play an FCS school, why not Portland State instead of E WA? Lanning and friends first go round? It will be interesting.

The schedule in 2023, at least on paper, is far easier than in 2022.

BTW, Caleb Williams signs with SC and SC is a legit contender in the Pac-12 S in 2021.

I agree with Charles that we should count our blessings if we win 10 games next season. 10-2 is possible but 8-4 is definitely in play. As we all know the right talent coached properly can overcome alot in the weak PAC.

As Jon mentioned WSU and Arizona create some problems. Especially on the road. That schedule is demanding and requires A plus energy from coaches and players.  With the portal in play predictions and forecasts can change daily. Roster foundations are no longer poured in 3 or 4 year footers. The building blocks may be be quick fixes poured over quicksand.

I hope Denver Duck is correct on 10-2. A win against Utah or USC in the P-12 Championships should put 11-2 Ducks in the Fiesta Bowl.

Just a side note: Why and I mean why does the f. Fool who makes this schedule have the 2 top teams (Utah and Oregon) playing late season? No chance for the loser to recover. Why does a conference that critically needs CFP appearances set up both teams to fail. WTH......

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, DenverDuck said:

Georgia - L

E Washington - W

BYU - W

Washington State - W

Stanford - Toss Up

Arizona - W

Cal - W

UCLA - L

Colorado - W

Washington - W

Utah - Toss up

Oregon St - W

Thoughts?

Of coarse this is all contingent on players playing all season. I believe with the depth and talent Oregon should be favored for every game except Georgia. I expect Lanning to have this team humming to an 11-1 season. I expect Dillinghams offense to score at 40 points per game and Dans new D to dominate the Pac offenses. I see a HC in Lanning that is a teacher through and through as look at his adjustments he made from the SEC Championship to the Natty as it was night and day. Mario for some reason couldn't figure that stuff out and it was all about him.

HC needs to be able to let his assistants do their jobs and if they can't you bring in people who can get the job done. Mario wanted all the glory and we saw how that worked out as in not very good. Oregon's team is or has the most talent of anybody so this guy knows or should know he has the talent to take the conference W/O and hiccups. All those games you have as maybe a loss are in Eugene and I see beat downs on every one of those teams. If there coached up like I believe they will be nobody will want to play Oregon like nobody wants to play my Niners right now.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

UCLA is losing a lot and I mean a lot of very good players, especially at TE and receiver on O. DTR? Erratic to date in his career. He has had his moments, but? 

I think Stanford (although always tough on the Ducks) and UCLA in Autzen will be Ws. 

At WSU if Ward, transferring in from Immaculate Word to play QB is the real deal at QB (threw for 481 yards in the 2021 bowl game) the Cougs could be trouble?

Utah returns basically all of its D. Lloyd is a big loss but the second leading tackler from Florida in 2021 is coming in to replace him at LB.

Rising is clearly the starting Utah QB from day 1. Utah's best RB could have gone pro but did not. 2 of Utah's TEs who played so well in the Rose Bowl are back. Utah opens with a W in The Swamp against new Florida HC Bill Napier and watch out. 

Arizona scares me because the Wildcats picked up the former starting QB for WSU and Oregon always seems to have trouble playing in Arizona.

I think BYU will be the difference between a very good 1st season and an OK first season.

Nix had his best year at Auburn playing for the Ducks new OC, Dillingham. I think the comparisons to Nix and Brown are way off. Nix played against far better comp in the SEC than did Brown in the ACC and in the Pac-12. Brown started and won 1 game vs a top 25 opponent. Nix has a number of wins against top 25 teams including Bama. 

It's a new day and a very difficult schedule opening against the defending national champ on the road and also BYU OOC and having 5 conference road games. Believe me when at UGA, Lanning never played 6 true road games. And if you are going to play an FCS school, why not Portland State instead of E WA? Lanning and friends first go round? It will be interesting.

The schedule in 2023, at least on paper, is far easier than in 2022.

BTW, Caleb Williams signs with SC and SC is a legit contender in the Pac-12 S in 2021.

Great points Jon and it sounds to me as if you already have Nix as the starter. I'm not willing to pencil him in as starter as I'm going with Thompson winning it. Either way if Nix does end up starting I would hope if Dill's offensive scheme avg's 40 points a clip then by all means find spot duty for the heir apparent because I've never ever watched a team at Oregon where if the QB wasn't getting it done at least our HCs gave the under study a chance to win the game and for Mario and the old regime to not let Thompson play was irritating at the least.

I mean maybe NIX comes in and just lights it up and is a Heisman candidate by week 5 then more power to him and hopefully it will show TY what he needs to bring to the table when he does play. I do admit the two HS QBs we are recruiting look like the real deal. So the future looks great and now I'm just waiting for Tosh to show his recruiting chops with 5 star DTs. At least two every year should bode well for the future. 

• Thumbs Up 2

One reason I never make predictions about Duck games is that I could never bring myself to predict a loss. 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Ga is a loss for sure but I think its more than possible to win out the rest of the way--Its the PAC 12

On 1/19/2022 at 8:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Ga is a loss for sure but I think its more than possible to win out the rest of the way--Its the PAC 12

Remember the Buckeyes at the Shoe in 2021?

Remember the Utes x2 in 2021?

I am not sure that a first game with Georgia will be as hard as a late season game vs Utah.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

I see a 10-2 record as well, with objectively picking Georgia, of course I picked Ohio State too, and even at home this time, I'll give Utah credit. Stanford? Don't often lose to them 2 years in a row, and they are really in a bad slide now. Arizona is rebuilding, but Scooby isn't there anymore.

The Cougars on the road is always trap but I like that the game is early in the season, Cal, W. Chip got his extension, and DTR is back, but a lot of others aren't. The overall lead for UW will get smaller, and with bulldozers on the side, the Ducks will take down the Beavers at Reser. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:10 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Great points Jon and it sounds to me as if you already have Nix as the starter. I'm not willing to pencil him in as starter as I'm going with Thompson winning it. Either way if Nix does end up starting I would hope if Dill's offensive scheme avg's 40 points a clip then by all means find spot duty for the heir apparent because I've never ever watched a team at Oregon where if the QB wasn't getting it done at least our HCs gave the under study a chance to win the game and for Mario and the old regime to not let Thompson play was irritating at the least.

I mean maybe NIX comes in and just lights it up and is a Heisman candidate by week 5 then more power to him and hopefully it will show TY what he needs to bring to the table when he does play. I do admit the two HS QBs we are recruiting look like the real deal. So the future looks great and now I'm just waiting for Tosh to show his recruiting chops with 5 star DTs. At least two every year should bode well for the future. 

Great take. Lanning has seen Nix preform in the SEC. Nix has been erratic but Nix has won big time games in front of big time SEC crowds on The Plains and on the road. I think NIx is a big improvement over Brown. Thompson could not, at least under Mario, beat out Brown. This will be one of the most interesting starting QB competitions in the country. Should Ty win the job I hope he is ready for that opening day crowd in the ATL? 

This particular thread has been mulling over in my head these past couple of days............

I want to be the glass at least half full guy. Heck, I want my glass overflowing. Especially if it's a cocktail........

What if this whole thing just...............GELS!

What if our head coach has found a particular group of coaches that can take immediate advantage of what is one of the best situations in all of football? One thing I've gleaned from this process is that we had some really quality behind the scenes people that have chosen to stay. That tells me something about our "front office". Let's say that the enthusiasm for potential is so infectious that EVERYONE is buying in. Especially the guys who play the game.

Let's say that the competition between Nix and Thompson/Butterfield (if they were leaving, they would have already left) is too close to call and Nix gets the nod to start at the home game for Georgia (let's call it what it is). Nix has slayed some pretty big SEC giants in his time. We also have that other little card up our sleeve called a guy who knows EVERYTHING about Georgia inside and out. Got to be at least a bit of a talent leveler, eh? Plus Georgia is losing a lot. The real question for Georgia is whether or not they have built a reloading machine of Alabama quality.

Speaking of talent, didn't we just have a string of the best recruiting classes in our history? Our cupboard is stocked, baby!.........Somebody needs to motivate these stars to shine!

So, we pull off the upset. Remember, most of these men have a win at "the shoe" under their belt. They've been there. They've done it. If this turns out to be the case, I predict that the reaction from the Duck fan base will be measurable on the Richter scale............

If you can beat the Dogs (you can certainly beat the Dawgs. Yes, that point doesn't need to be made, but it always feels SO GOOD to make it) then the only serious threat to a meaningful showdown with the now hated Ootah Ootes is the Pac-12 slaying Utah Cougars. Luckily, it's at home.  

On a side note, it sure seems like the Mormons have it out for us lately. It seems like the state of Utah has targeted Oregon as a direct impediment to their Pac-12 glory. Did anyone see that BYU basketball beat down earlier this season? Granted, we've had a successful record against them in all major sports and stolen a major percentage of their South Pacific talent. But I think there's a bit of a grudge there. So, my advice to Oregon teams is to be wary of teams from Utah. And my advice to Utah is to plant a few trees. Really, just some foliage of any kind would be helpful.........

Now that we've taken care of our "Utah problem", we're just left with a Pac-12 championship game with, hopefully, Chip.  As long as it doesn't come at the expense of my Ducks I want the UO tree to be fertile and successful. So, in that vane I hope Mr. Wilcox finishes just below us. 

A Bulldog beating Pac Champ makes the CFP. Heck, drop a game to those "academically prowess" teams from the Bay if you really have to. I'd prefer the boyz from Bezerkely. I always had a WAY better time in Berkely than I did in Palo Alto, or Stanford, CA. Or whatever they're calling it these days. Plus it get's Mr. Wilcox a contract extension justifying win.

I'd prefer it didn't happen. I'm just saying a one loss (to pretty much anybody) Duck team is in the hunt for the CFP.  I never did buy that argument last season that a winning out Duck team would get overlooked because of the bad, granted warranted, perception of the Pac.  Let's be honest. The only team that kept the Ducks out of last year's playoff was the Ducks............Meanwhile........

Did we (the Pac) win ANY bowl games last season?  I can't (or won't) remember. It would certainly justify a few extra cocktails to hopefully forget the last (?) years of Pac football as it relates to the "big boys". Hell, who'm I kidding? We can't even dominate the Mountain West anymore. Here's to future prosperity for ourselves and for our conference compatriots. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Great take. Utah. Only state with 3 teams ranked in the AP final Top 25.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

This particular thread has been mulling over in my head these past couple of days............

I want to be the glass at least half full guy. Heck, I want my glass overflowing. Especially if it's a cocktail........

What if this whole thing just...............GELS!

What if our head coach has found a particular group of coaches that can take immediate advantage of what is one of the best situations in all of football? One thing I've gleaned from this process is that we had some really quality behind the scenes people that have chosen to stay. That tells me something about our "front office". Let's say that the enthusiasm for potential is so infectious that EVERYONE is buying in. Especially the guys who play the game.

Let's say that the competition between Nix and Thompson/Butterfield (if they were leaving, they would have already left) is too close to call and Nix gets the nod to start at the home game for Georgia (let's call it what it is). Nix has slayed some pretty big SEC giants in his time. We also have that other little card up our sleeve called a guy who knows EVERYTHING about Georgia inside and out. Got to be at least a bit of a talent leveler, eh? Plus Georgia is losing a lot. The real question for Georgia is whether or not they have built a reloading machine of Alabama quality.

Speaking of talent, didn't we just have a string of the best recruiting classes in our history? Our cupboard is stocked, baby!.........Somebody needs to motivate these stars to shine!

So, we pull off the upset. Remember, most of these men have a win at "the shoe" under their belt. They've been there. They've done it. If this turns out to be the case, I predict that the reaction from the Duck fan base will be measurable on the Richter scale............

If you can beat the Dogs (you can certainly beat the Dawgs. Yes, that point doesn't need to be made, but it always feels SO GOOD to make it) then the only serious threat to a meaningful showdown with the now hated Ootah Ootes is the Pac-12 slaying Utah Cougars. Luckily, it's at home.  

On a side note, it sure seems like the Mormons have it out for us lately. It seems like the state of Utah has targeted Oregon as a direct impediment to their Pac-12 glory. Did anyone see that BYU basketball beat down earlier this season? Granted, we've had a successful record against them in all major sports and stolen a major percentage of their South Pacific talent. But I think there's a bit of a grudge there. So, my advice to Oregon teams is to be wary of teams from Utah. And my advice to Utah is to plant a few trees. Really, just some foliage of any kind would be helpful.........

Now that we've taken care of our "Utah problem", we're just left with a Pac-12 championship game with, hopefully, Chip.  As long as it doesn't come at the expense of my Ducks I want the UO tree to be fertile and successful. So, in that vane I hope Mr. Wilcox finishes just below us. 

A Bulldog beating Pac Champ makes the CFP. Heck, drop a game to those "academically prowess" teams from the Bay if you really have to. I'd prefer the boyz from Bezerkely. I always had a WAY better time in Berkely than I did in Palo Alto, or Stanford, CA. Or whatever they're calling it these days. Plus it get's Mr. Wilcox a contract extension justifying win.

I'd prefer it didn't happen. I'm just saying a one loss (to pretty much anybody) Duck team is in the hunt for the CFP.  I never did buy that argument last season that a winning out Duck team would get overlooked because of the bad, granted warranted, perception of the Pac.  Let's be honest. The only team that kept the Ducks out of last year's playoff was the Ducks............Meanwhile........

Did we (the Pac) win ANY bowl games last season?  I can't (or won't) remember. It would certainly justify a few extra cocktails to hopefully forget the last (?) years of Pac football as it relates to the "big boys". Hell, who'm I kidding? We can't even dominate the Mountain West anymore. Here's to future prosperity for ourselves and for our conference compatriots. Cheers.

Epic post SmithRiverDuck.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, DenverDuck said:

Georgia - L

E Washington - W

BYU - W

Washington State - W

Stanford - Toss Up

Arizona - W

Cal - W

UCLA - L

Colorado - W

Washington - W

Utah - Toss up

Oregon St - W

Thoughts?

I agree 100% about how the Ducks looked in the second half of the Alamo Bowl and I like most of your picks. 

I would change UCLA to a win and I think the toss up games will be BYU and WSU.  I don't think Stanford, Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Washington and EWU will be competitive games beyond half-time.  Georgia, BYU and WSU I think will all be decided in the fourth quarter and the Ducks will be in position to win all of them....not that they will, I just think they will have an opportunity.  UCLA and Oregon St I think are comfortable wins but not blow-outs.

The thing I fear most is traveling to Georgia And getting injuries trying to beat a team full of big and fast nfl talent. 

This game to me could derail the hopes for the rest of the season if the wrong players get injured in a game we shouldn’t be exposed to out of the gate.

Who ever makes these schedule blunders isn’t thinking about big picture for sure.

BYU won’t be much fun either.

Lets all hope for the best and get through that gauntlet unscathed.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, Just Ducky said:

The thing I fear most is traveling to Georgia And getting injuries trying to beat a team full of big and fast nfl talent. 

This game to me could derail the hopes for the rest of the season if the wrong players get injured in a game we shouldn’t be exposed to out of the gate.

Who ever makes these schedule blunders isn’t thinking about big picture for sure.

BYU won’t be much fun either.

Lets all hope for the best and get through that gauntlet unscathed.

This game was scheduled by Rob Mullens in 2019 with BYU already on the schedule.

BTW: UW just signed a H+H series deal with Tennessee. Georgia earlier backed out of a H+H with Oregon. The opening game 'at' Georgia is pure and simple a money play by Mullens. Oregon has one of the most difficult if not the toughest OOC schedule in the country in 2022, and then has to play 5 conference road games.

I think Oregon gets the win against UCLA... it is a home game and I think we will have a better coached team. I think our offense will also play with some more tempo and be explosive. It did a pretty good job against UCLA last year and the only reason we won by three was because Brown gave them the ball with two interceptions in the fourth quarter.

Utah is going to be a tough game... but I think with better coaching and coaches who hopefully keep the team engaged this should be a whole lot better. As long as we don't have the same injuries as last year. It will also be at Autzen which will help.

Stanford... Oregon should not have lost that game last year. It will be at Autzen and we shouldn't lose this game this year. Shaw is a good coach but Stanford has been struggling to maintain their roster since the transfer portal became more popular.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

12-0/13-0?  A Pac-12 team has never accomplished this since CU and Utah came on board. 2 games at UGA and BYU is tough enough. Why GK hasn't pulled the string on 9 conference games, I have no clue. More people are going to watch a match up of bad Pac-12 teams instead of Oregon State vs E Washington,? I doubt it.

I do know that is playoff senseless to have Oregon playing Utah in the penultimate game of the 2022 season instead of the Ducks playing San Jose St in Autzen.

The conference needs help and not hurt from the conference  powers-that be.

The conference needs to stop shooting itself in the foot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon, I read an article in the San Jose Mercury News that the networks would want to reduce the payouts for any reduction in conference match ups. Unless the PAC replaces those games with P-5 OOC match ups. Makes sense from their perspective.  Oregon/Utah is a better ROI than Oregon/Portland State. The article mentioned that the PAC was trying to get the BIG to roll back to an 8 game schedule. Then those 2 conferences could play each other in a better quality OOC game.

I think the article was by Wilner. Don't know if it's conjecture or real time discussions. However, if the PAC had expanded to 14 teams to match the BIG, then the decision could have been easier.  The execution seamless. Zero forward thinking by PAC Presidents to be better positioned for the changing landscape. The networks would prefer a MSU/UCLA game to broadcast over Colorado/Arizona.

Bottom line, the Networks are okay with changes during their current agreements with the PAC. They just want P-5/P-5 match ups not P-5/FCS. Only the SEC gets that privilege.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Jon, I read an article in the San Jose Mercury News that the networks would want to reduce the payouts for any reduction in conference match ups. Unless the PAC replaces those games with P-5 OOC match ups. Makes sense from their perspective.  Oregon/Utah is a better ROI than Oregon/Portland State. The article mentioned that the PAC was trying to get the BIG to roll back to an 8 game schedule. Then those 2 conferences could play each other in a better quality OOC game.

I think the article was by Wilner. Don't know if it's conjecture or real time discussions. However, if the PAC had expanded to 14 teams to match the BIG, then the decision could have been easier.  The execution seamless. Zero forward thinking by PAC Presidents to be better positioned for the changing landscape. The networks would prefer a MSU/UCLA game to broadcast over Colorado/Arizona.

Bottom line, the Networks are okay with changes during their current agreements with the PAC. They just want P-5/P-5 match ups not P-5/FCS. Only the SEC gets that privilege.

Good call. But what the networks want and what makes sense vis-a-vis Playoff participation is two different things. I doubt that playing an extra OOC game vs a B1G or ACC opponent will have much to do with the pay out calculous? OR ST at Duke makes that much of a difference? I doubt it.

Playoff Committee values wins no matter the opponent vs Ls.

I want to see the Dana Altman Formula happens within the Football Program. Not only do we need to see development of student athletes, but we need to see a progression in the execution of the scheme. If Oregon loses early, and stumbles, what is important is they build as the season progresses.

We can call for wins or point totals, but what we really want is to finish strong. The program will be built off of how we finish the season. Winning bowl games, and impressing recruits is where it is at. If we finish strong with multiple early losses I will be extremely happy. 

If we are erratic and never establish an identity then I will be disappointed. I would be pleased with the Altman Formula, but I really want to be excited about the Lanning formula. That formula will be exposed as the season progresses. 

The schedule will impact the play of the team. What I want to see is the impact of the coaches and the leadership on the field on the progression of the Oregon Football Program. I want to hear the pundits say you don't want to play Oregon at the end of the season. I also want to see more precision out of the players, and excitement for continued development of what we see on the field. The wins will come.

• Thumbs Up 3

SmithRiverDuck - thanks again for the great take. I disagree with the idea that because Ty and Butterfield haven't left yet this means they are not going to leave. I think at least 1 of the 2 are likely to enter the portal after spring ball? One reason I am fairly certain that at sometime we will hear, "the QB competition is very close and will continue right up to the opening game."

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

One reason I am fairly certain that at sometime we will hear, "the QB competition is very close and will continue right up to the opening game."

I'd go more than fairly? Lanning's experienced enough already to know the there has to be a QB battle, and savvy enough not to let Georgia plan exclusively against Nix. 

If Butterfield is 3rd on the depth chart after spring ball, I would look for him to transfer. Depending on how close he is to getting his degree may alter his time table.

JB committed to Oregon in May of 2019. He took no other visits. He wanted to be a Duck. Not sure of his enrollment date but he should have put a dent in his credits toward a degree.

When he came to Oregon he was listed at 6'6" and 180 pounds. 2020 season did not count against his eligibility. Assuming he takes 2021 as a redshirt year, then he hits the field in 2022 as a redshirt freshman. With 4 years eligibility left. He was listed in 2021 as 6'6" and 218 pounds. Another 12 pounds and the boy who enrolled will now have his man body. NFL man body.

Once he garners his degree he could move on to a NIL deal and a coaching staff who wants give him playing time. Good for Jay and others who have this opportunity before them. Or he could earn his field time and remain a Duck.

Jon the FB budget at most of the schools were bad before covid but now it's off the charts. Money has always been a priority but now it's a must. That's why the report by Mercury News above is so pertinent. The league and schools can not lose any more money. Also that's why I believe Mullen's scheduling of Georgia makes sense. They tried to sell it as a chance for the Ducks to play with the best to up our profile and it actually did that.  Look at tOSU last year.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Jon the FB budget at most of the schools were bad before covid but now it's off the charts. Money has always been a priority but now it's a must. That's why the report by Mercury News above is so pertinent. The league and schools can not lose any more money. Also that's why I believe Mullen's scheduling of Georgia makes sense. They tried to sell it as a chance for the Ducks to play with the best to up our profile and it actually did that.  Look at tOSU last year.

Excellent point. I unfortunately have no idea how much more $ the game 'at' UGA will net Oregon more than would an opening home game against San Jose State? I'm sure it is more but that much more than an extra home game, that would be an opening game sell out especially with the new coaching staff? I know Oregon would be paid less media-wise but how much less? Also, how much more will Oregon gain if it has a loss 'at' UGA instead of a W over SJS and a much easier path to the Final 4. Lose at UGA and Oregon is on playoff life support.

The difference between at UGA and at Ohio State? Ohio State agreed to a home and home series. UGA backed out of a home and home series. 

I also note that Mullens agreed to this game in 2019, before covid had ravaged society and CFB. So IMO he does not get a 'covid pass.'

With the covid-money problems, it is hard to believe that there is no consensus on expanding the playoff field before 2026. ESPN has said it will pay more for 'this' and will allow different media entities to bid for telecasting the opening playoff round and 2nd round if the field went to 12. 100's of millions of dollars are being left on the table.

Yes but like u posted earlier the idea of getting the 5 power conferences to agree is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow 🌈

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 1

My understanding is UGA cancelled the home and home with Oregon during the conference realignment years, around 2011-2012.  I think UGA cancelled a lot of their non-conference games because they did not know how schedules were going to change.  I do not think Oregon put up much opposition for the same reason.  I do not know if Oregon or UGA initiated the cancellation but given the times I think it was cordial.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:16 PM, amcdawg said:

My understanding is UGA cancelled the home and home with Oregon during the conference realignment years, around 2011-2012.  I think UGA cancelled a lot of their non-conference games because they did not know how schedules were going to change.  I do not think Oregon put up much opposition for the same reason.  I do not know if Oregon or UGA initiated the cancellation but given the times I think it was cordial.

Good take. Nevertheless I don't believe Oregon should be playing 1 off games for money; especially, against SEC teams in Dixie. I would have loved seeing Oregon play in the great college town that is Athens, 'Tween the Hedges,' and the Dawgs playing in Autzen.

But it is what it is and I will be in Atlanta and hoping to watch a great and competitive game.