Charles Fischer

Former Player Confirms Mario Cristobal Meddling in the Offense

Justin Johnson was an offensive lineman who medically retired from Oregon Football, was on Spaces and he talked about how Mario was micromanaging the offense and didn't always allow the play that Moorhead wanted. I am taking this from another site, and I was not listening to the conversation, so this is second-third hand.

But it would further confirm what I was stating for years, and why Moorhead left as quick as he could without any fanfare or goodbyes?

Justin Johnson at Oregon

Justin Johnson - Football - University of Oregon Athletics

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Management strategy: hire the best people you can, then ignore them. 

No way to run anything. 

• Thumbs Up 6

This reputation has gotten out too now... he can't seem to hire an offensive coordinator right now.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be fair to MC, or perhaps more realistically stating, he may have learned a valuable lesson while mismanaging at Oregon. The guy's not an idiot. His trials as HC should have awoken in him some thought that perhaps he should let bothers do their jobs and not overcontrol. Perhaps he'll allow those coaches in Miami to actually coach!? Wouldn't that be a something?

He should have learned something from all the boos he got this past season. That the fans were not necessarily booing the players, but were actually booing him. Did he dislike that so much that it jarred some realization of why it was occurring, and can now acknowledge his error enough so to do differently at his new destination.

Perhaps a tabula rasa opportunity awaits him and he can become what he always thought he was.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, David Marsh said:

. he can't seem to hire an offensive coordinator right now.

Yeah, this might not help the hiring process. 

I said 4 years ago that MC didnt have any x and o skills. He proved it. Thank Gawd for Miami!!!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The OC hiring process:

MC: you have an innovative offense that scores tons of points

OC: yes, I would like to keep that going…

MC: great! You are hired

After the OC is hired:

MC: I want you to run the running back through the two largest guys on defense until he is injured

OC: Wouldn’t it be better if we ran through the holes?

MC:  you lack toughness! Scrap your “schemes” and increase the toughness.  That’s the process!

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 4

I admit, I hadn't be keeping up with the inner workings of the coaching staff, just the results on the field. I guess this is why it didn't matter if there was a change in OC. The OC was only there to manage MC's boring offense. Got it! 

I see a different perspective. I believe that it was wanting to be to safe.

We were airing the ball but really didn't have WR in 19 and had a great running attack and OL, so he played it cautious.

In 20 it was covid. We aired it out until Verdel got hurt and our QB started making mistakes, so he played it cautious.

In 21 we aired it out until we saw AB was inaccurate with the deep ball, were hurt by an unusual amount of injuries especially to the defense and Verdel who they tried to protect got a season ending injury again, so he played it cautious.

I will grant everyone this was probably a mistake but he still went 24/10 with all the above problems, playing for 3 league championships winning 2 of them and a RB win so I feel thats not bad but really good. 

He's gone now and we're on our way to a bright future if things work out which I don't know any reason why they won't. 

Go Ducks Fly High!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am shocked!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 1/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, SoCalDuck said:

To be fair to MC, or perhaps more realistically stating, he may have learned a valuable lesson while mismanaging at Oregon. The guy's not an idiot. His trials as HC should have awoken in him some thought that perhaps he should let bothers do their jobs and not overcontrol. Perhaps he'll allow those coaches in Miami to actually coach!? Wouldn't that be a something?

He should have learned something from all the boos he got this past season. That the fans were not necessarily booing the players, but were actually booing him. Did he dislike that so much that it jarred some realization of why it was occurring, and can now acknowledge his error enough so to do differently at his new destination.

Perhaps a tabula rasa opportunity awaits him and he can become what he always thought he was.

Realistically stating, Mario Cristobal is who we think he is. I would bet that he didn't learn anything from his mishandling of the Ducks' offense, and Miami fans are in for a rude awakening this year and in seasons to come, until Mario is shown the door. I am ecstatic that MC is no longer our problem and that he has coached his last Ducks game for all time. 

Id est quod est. (It is what it is.)

MC to OC, you can run anything you like, but remember, you are not running the Kentucky Derby behind MY clydesdales, we are trying to sow the field.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, David Marsh said:

This reputation has gotten out too now... he can't seem to hire an offensive coordinator right now.

Funny and this is just my opinion. He thinks he's VL and he's not even close. The guy seems to want all the acclaim which already goes to the HC if they win anyways but it serves him well to treat his coordinator's a lot better as this now sounding like nobody wants to further their career under Super Mario. That's ok because if your not humble your just not going to succeed. I just kept saying to myself he seems like he could be a really good coach and he will evolve and get this right and it never happened. I'm telling everybody hey we lucked out.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:33 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I see a different perspective. I believe that it was wanting to be to safe.

We were airing the ball but really didn't have WR in 19 and had a great running attack and OL, so he played it cautious.

In 20 it was covid. We aired it out until Verdel got hurt and our QB started making mistakes, so he played it cautious.

In 21 we aired it out until we saw AB was inaccurate with the deep ball, were hurt by an unusual amount of injuries especially to the defense and Verdel who they tried to protect got a season ending injury again, so he played it cautious.

I will grant everyone this was probably a mistake but he still went 24/10 with all the above problems, playing for 3 league championships winning 2 of them and a RB win so I feel thats not bad but really good. 

He's gone now and we're on our way to a bright future if things work out which I don't know any reason why they won't. 

Go Ducks Fly High!

Well yes we could agree to what was just said and maybe your right. The facts are this offense only averaged 31 points a game. We've already been shown what it should take to get into the playoff's and that's averaging 40 plus points a game. He also took a QB with all the intangibles in Hebert and can you imagine him winging the ball around if he'd of let him. There was one NFL guy who said the GM that drafts him will be fired! What are you kidding me heck I didn't even believe that even after Mario took his best weapon and made him pedestrian.

Could you imagine Justin in BAMA's offense heck any year? He would have easily been the number 1 pick. Mario isn't going to go anywhere significant in his coaching career. I don't think Miami is significant anymore and Mario wont be the one to get it done. They just fired their HC who's team had just won 6 out of seven games to end the season and they wanted Mario for 8.5. That just makes me want to puke that a guy with a career 61-60 or whatever it's not a good record make that money. I was backing this guy till the end of this crap for pay show season.

That guy Mario just cost us a whole lot better bowl game if he would of did his job. He quit on Oregon number 1 as if who cares about this season and Oregon I'm going home. Mario was a great recruiter terrible Xs @ Os guy and he did this every year. He left the cupboards pretty full so I thank him for that and now the next guy who to me looks as if he gets it. Your not going to be a great HC unless you surround yourself with great coach's. Then let them do their jobs unless of coarse it looks like they can't. ABs numbers kind of fool you and he wasn't accurate past 20 yards that much.

Its kind of hard to figure out what really just happened to a once great looking season and the way it ended and then also 4 years of no RB that could hit that wide open hole and score on a continuous basis or throw down the field or have a fast paced offense. We lost Chips offense which was a recipe for a great weekend if your a Duck fan. then moved to Mario's recipe for danger try not to look smash mouth football that sometimes left you desiring a whole lot more. Well are we ready to be in the fast pace offensive system again?

Dillingham's offenses look like with the right players they could score a lot. Ready for a defense that stops PAC 12 offenses on a regular basis and gets the offense more chances to score? Yes it looks like that will happen also. Last thing I'd love to say is can we also have a healthy roster next season as in no significant injury to any player. We really should have done so much more with what just went down the last 4 seasons. Yes we did some really good things and should have done some great things. Either way Ducky's we are gonna be more happy with what's about to go down in Eugene.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I am shocked!

By my reasoning or my ??

On 1/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, Duck 1972 said:

By my reasoning or my ??

He is being playful...that he is shocked about Cristobal.  Not directed at you at all...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Just thought he was commenting about my defense of MC since post was right after mine. Didn't mean anything by my question just wanted clarity if it was meant for me. No problem here and hope he doesn't feel their was. I'm hoping my point is thought provoking and want feedback if possible. Thanks

Dull, low scoring, and predictable is no way to go through life, Coach. 

• Haha 3

On 1/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, Drake said:

Dull, low scoring, and predictable is no way to go through life, Coach. 

Say it ain’t so!

image.jpeg.308472a5c76561ec9b8b517cac3a072b.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Just thought he was commenting about my defense of MC since post was right after mine. Didn't mean anything by my question just wanted clarity if it was meant for me. No problem here and hope he doesn't feel their was. I'm hoping my point is thought provoking and want feedback if possible. Thanks

You might be concerned because you present a view that is in the minority here, (for example I completely disagree with you) but that is the beauty of this forum.  All views, especially minority views are protected as we are, "the forum with decorum."

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mario is about the worst coach to have on the field and not just game day.  Not only does he show a complete lack of situational awareness and the inability to learn from his mistakes, his ego won't allow him to fully delegate the duties, to those experts that he personally hired and brought in to do those jobs. 

Okay, maybe, they weren't all experts in their fields, but their knowledge and experience should be vastly superior to Mario's limited and antiquated grasp of the game.  When it comes to the game, Mario is no expert.  He proved time and time again, that he is well in over his head. 

What was he even doing in the film room for all those hours?  It certainly wasn't to prep and game plan for how to beat the other team to a pulp.  He was probably thinking of all the ways that he could handicap his own team and surrender the last possession to the opposing team, for either the go-ahead TD or the chance to send the game into OT.

Moorhead was probably questioning his entire time at Oregon, "What am I even doing here?"  No wonder why, he was looking for the nearest exit.  We all had our suspicions about Mario controlling and calling the plays on offense, but now, we know the truth.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You might be concerned because you present a view that is in the minority here, (for example I completely disagree with you) but that is the beauty of this forum.  All views, especially minority views are protected as we are, "the forum with decorum."

No concern here. I have held both minority or majority views throughout my life.

We are the forum with decorum and as such should be able to share ideas to ponder, get feedback for such ideas both yea or nay and learn something or a view we never thought of. That's my 2 cents anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, Duck 1972 said:

NO WAY was that comment directed at you my friend. I believe as a number of folks on the Forum believe, that Mario was poking his nose into the O. I never believed having watched him at  Penn St and Miss St that what we saw at Oregon was Joe's O.

Forgive me please if you took my take personally. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No I didn't. Just wanted to know what u meant for clarification purposes if it was for me because it was right after my post. Didn't think any thing bad. Thanks for the consideration take care. 

• Thumbs Up 1