Charles Fischer

Former Duck/Cane-Coach McClendon: "Receivers Should Avoid Miami"

Former Mario assistant coach Bryan McClendon is now at Georgia, and he is telling receiver recruits to avoid Miami because "he runs the ball a lot."  And McClendon should know!

Cane fans are not happy, but is it the truth?  (There is NO DOUBT in my mind that there would have been a big exodus of receivers out of Oregon right now had Mario stayed at Oregon)

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

BMac burning the bridge with MC is all you need to know about the future assistant coach hiring process at the U.

MC:  Do you agree that running a dive play from the pistol is our best option on 3rd and 7?

Future AC:  And without a tight end, sir!

MC:  You are hired.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

With friends like these? Mario, all the 'seeing folk' know that you have no clothes. You are 'The Emperor of Ice Cream,' delivering sweet promises that soon melt away. So happy you went MIA. 

• Haha 4

While I was frustrated--along with almost every other Duck fan--with Mario's offense for his entire tenure as head coach, he nonetheless led the team to some pretty successful results overall. I really don't bear him any ill will now that he's moved on to his dream job. 

But, what I'm left to wonder now--in hindsight--is how good we COULD have been with those same rosters if his play callers were allowed to call plays that were adapted on the fly to the flow of the games. Certainly, everyone should look back at the Justin Herbert era and know that his junior and senior years could have been SO MUCH MORE.

Man, I can't wait for spring to see what Coach Lanning's staff does with this team.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, WiseKwacker said:

While I was frustrated--along with almost every other Duck fan--with Mario's offense for his entire tenure as head coach, he nonetheless led the team to some pretty successful results overall. I really don't bear him any ill will now that he's moved on to his dream job. 

One recurring theme I noticed while watching the coaches interviews.  Several mentioned they inherited talented, high character guys that got along and were supportive of each other when they broke into position groups.  Fixing X and O deficiencies is a lot easier than needing to repair cultural problems.  Mario deserves credit for what the new staff has to work with.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:46 AM, McDuck said:

One recurring theme I noticed while watching the coaches interviews.  Several mentioned they inherited talented, high character guys that got along and were supportive of each other when they broke into position groups.  Fixing X and O deficiencies is a lot easier than needing to repair cultural problems.  Mario deserves credit for what the new staff has to work with.

I don't think people are denying credit for the personnel side of what MC did for the program (or maybe some are but I would not share that view).  But his offense also served to churn out some of those good players he brought in.  He had hit peak, IOW.

It makes me wonder if AB was the #1 QB because he had no idea how to develop Ty or any other prospect.  And it makes me wonder how much AB underperformed due to that (see Shough, Tyler).  

The QB play was so bad that the run game almost had to dominate.  A self fulfilling prophecy of MC's own creation.

And so, yes, thanks for the personnel.  Now please move aside a let us put them under the tutelage of a staff that knows how to use them to their maximum capabilities.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am just grateful. Grateful Mario built the program up to where he left it. I am also grateful he left, and Miami gave us 9 big ones for him to leave. I am also so grateful I hope Mario does well, best of luck! Oregon has to be the luckiest program in college football, just grateful all around! 

• Thumbs Up 7

On 2/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

I am just grateful. Grateful Mario built the program up to where he left it. I am also grateful he left, and Miami gave us 9 big ones for him to leave. I am also so grateful I hope Mario does well, best of luck! Oregon has to be the luckiest program in college football, just grateful all around! 

I remember when we thought the Best thing Slick did for us was bring us Mario.  Then Mario brings Oregon three top ten classes in a row and does not damage Justin Herbert for the NFL.  Finally Miami, takes Mario back home so that we can get a Head Coach that can develop the talent brought to Oregon.

Not easy being a HC that doesn't know what he is doing and taking his act back home.  Wish him luck, cause he needs it.  As far as our new Oregon Head Coach, I look forward to seeing action and Dan Lanning setting the Bar High.

• Thumbs Up 3

He still got the 15th best recruiting class. He won the state of Florida. He was also at a disadvantage because of changing teams and not having his staff filled out.

That said IMHO he will be successful anywhere. It just won't be everybody's cup of tea. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, WiseKwacker said:

But, what I'm left to wonder now--in hindsight--is how good we COULD have been with those same rosters if his play callers were allowed to call plays that were adapted on the fly to the flow of the games. Certainly, everyone should look back at the Justin Herbert era and know that his junior and senior years could have been SO MUCH MORE.

Man, I can't wait for spring to see what Coach Lanning's staff does with this team.

In Herbert’s senior year he had a veteran OL, and adequate receivers. Herbert won in spite of Cristobal and his “ball control “ offense. The problem with Cristobal’s offense is that it needs an NFL caliber QB to stay on the field. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With friends like these? Mario, all the 'seeing folk' know that you have no clothes. You are 'The Emperor of Ice Cream,' delivering sweet promises that soon melt away. So happy you went MIA. 

I want to give credit to the poet who wrote, 'The Emperor of Ice Cream,' Wallace Stevens. And I also add,. 'Et tu Brute?'

62-60 speaks for itself. I do not care how well he recruits, it does not translate to the field. I'll take Manny Diaz record in his seasons as the Miami HC vs Mario's record in the same time period, straight up.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I thank Miami mucho!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Miami lost McClendon but just stole the DB coach from UGA. Tit for tat. Also Mac is right as a WR who wants to go pro, Miami is probably not where you will want to play. Mario is a run dominated coach and probably always will be.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:08 PM, Drake said:

The problem with Cristobal’s offense is that it needs an NFL caliber QB to stay on the field. 

First of all, I'm glad MC is gone.  In my opinion that was his best move because he was going to lose his reputation in 2022 had he stayed.

As far as the QB, he got ten wins out of a guy that did not have NFL caliber skills.  Had he not soured the team late, my thought is they would have defeated Utah at least once (the team clearly quit on him, and I suspect they knew he was leaving). 

The ACC mirrors the PAC12.  He inherited a very good QB, so I suspect the Canes are going to win at least ten games.  

On 2/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, Mike West said:

First of all, I'm glad MC is gone.  In my opinion that was his best move because he was going to lose his reputation in 2022 had he stayed.

As far as the QB, he got ten wins out of a guy that did not have NFL caliber skills.  Had he not soured the team late, my thought is they would have defeated Utah at least once (the team clearly quit on him, and I suspect they knew he was leaving). 

The ACC mirrors the PAC12.  He inherited a very good QB, so I suspect the Canes are going to win at least ten games.  

Mike. 10 wins? How about I take the under for a cup of coffee and a donut?

On 2/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Mike. 10 wins? How about I take the under for a cup of coffee and a donut?

I will join the under for a beer and a brat, and I will spot Mike the Spring game as a win.

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, Duck1984 said:

I will join the under for a beer and a brat, and I will spot Mike the Spring game as a win.

You're on!!!!

Can't wait till next December ( especially for OBD).

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario says they will throw the ball and recruited some high quality receivers in this interview, Mario looks happier at Miami too:

On 2/8/2022 at 10:57 PM, DiscoDuck said:

Mario says they will throw the ball and recruited some high quality receivers in this interview, Mario looks happier at Miami too:

Miami coaches always look happier before they drop games to FSU, Clemson, and Wake Forest.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1