Haywarduck

Transfer Movement

With a team loaded with freshman and sophomores from another coaching staff will there be a transfer movement? Oregon has a lot of talent, which has underperformed against lesser competition. With the Lanning coaching group will there be expectations some players won't want to adhere too?

I have a feeling the coaching staff will expect different levels of performance and outputs. These expectations will create players who didn't sign up for the culture direction. Maybe the players will want the new culture, expected it when they came, I hope so. There will also be players who may not want to live up to the new levels demanded, or can't reach them.

I think it will be interesting to see who stays and who goes. It will also be interesting to see who starts and who sits. With the new offense and defense there will be players who may have started and now don't meet the standards. This will be another interesting development as the spring season comes and fall camp begins.

It won't just be at the qb position. At wide receiver, safety, on the defensive line and throughout players are going to be looked upon with a completely different group of eyes and minds. This will also begin in the weight room, and training table. If we are going to beat the Stanfords and dominate the FSU bulldog type teams players are going to be having to adjust to a new program or transfer out. 

We also may have a coaching group who are going to actively discuss this process with some players. With the team loaded with young players and fewer scholarships to offer their guys coaches may be looking to move some players. So far it is nice to see player wanting to stick around. I have a feeling this may not stay that way as the bar is lifted and players can't reach that high. This will be something to watch as the months go by and the season slowly gets closer.

• Thanks 1

In my conversations with Bulldog fans...even they admit that their program is hard, and they lose a lot in transfers.  Five-star players and high four-stars leave the Georgia program on a regular basis as many cannot adjust to the life of not being coddled and given preferential treatment.  (You saw high profile players transfer out of Athens this year too)

So yes, some Oregon players may find that they are no longer at the top of the pecking order, and must fight to retain it--and don't want to.  I don't think it will be a ton of players, but I do think we will be very disappointed with some that decide the new culture is too demanding.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I could see many recruits coming to Oregon, and seeing the facilities, could come away thinking it is just one big candy store. All the shoes, uniforms, hot tubs, food and then the reality sets in. The coaches need to see which recruits see it as an opportunity, and which ones see it as something they earned already. 

I like the story of the Shakleton's trip to the south pole. The advertisement for sailors didn't aggrandize the allure of the adventure. It was very straight forward about the expected difficulties. The crew all made it and there were no transfers or medical redshirts, or real difficulties with the team for this arduous journey. College football seems to do the opposite in their advertisements for their crew. The honor and recognition is definitely highlighted, but the rest seems to be hidden by the appeal of being part of something special built just for them.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Again I am extremely curious just how Lanning is going to develop the winning culture while developing talent, and keeping egos in check and healthy. This is the magic of an elite coach, because it is a team of players willing to fight through hazards, with low individual recognition, sometimes bitter situations all the while being in what seems like darkness about the end result. We can't have any who just want a safe return, only those working toward honor and eventual success.

• Thumbs Up 3

I read somewhere maybe here that at Georgia as soon as signing day is complete Kirby Smart and the staff moves from coddling players to focusing on the hard road ahead for all incoming players.  Letting them know this ain't no picnic.  

I suspect DL will evaluate each player after the Spring game and then have a sit down with each to let them know where they stand in the pecking order.   I'm sure some won't like what they hear and will decide to hit the transfer portal which will free up a few scholarships for potential players from other teams via the portal.  Welcome to free agency!!  🙂 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 11:43 AM, Quackerbacker said:

I read somewhere maybe here that at Georgia as soon as signing day is complete Kirby Smart and the staff moves from coddling players to focusing on the hard road ahead for all incoming players. 

Yep.

Lanning Laws: "That Won't Last a Week at Oregon" by Charles Fischer of FishDuck

Lanning2_Oregon-Football-Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The truly great ones like Walter Payton, Berry Sanders didn’t need to trash talk the guy they had just run around or through. They got up and did it again. That’s what I want to see in these young players. Talk with your body not your mouth.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 2/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, Just Ducky said:

The truly great ones like Walter Payton, Berry Sanders didn’t need to trash talk the guy they had just run around or through. They got up and did it again. That’s what I want to see in these young players. Talk with your body not your mouth.

Great take! Walter Payton, trash talk? The FCS Heisman is named after Walter for a reason. Like Jim Brown, he got up and made his way back to the huddle. If Barry Sanders talked trash I did not see it. Basically, it's a waste of energy.

Under Saban  and under Smart, I don't see trash talking coming from the Bama and UGA players. I don't see it from Ohio State players. Celebrate a TD, yes. Trash talk, no.

The one thing that defines this generation of players is their absolute sense of entitlement.  3,000 players in the portal?  Are you kidding me?

Last year, the defense saw so much attrition just about everyone on defense got to show their abilities.  Film doesn't lie.  

The smart ones will recognize they will have plenty of shots to play.  Depth matters.  

Not to mention one of the brightest minds will know how to utilize his talent.  I hope these players aren't stupid enough to blow their shot at a title.  

But what can you do?  Some of these guys are as arrogant as the so called leaders of our conference ( I guess its not generational lol).

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The portal craze honestly confuses me. With respect to playing time, if a player isn't playing much now, what makes them think they'll just win a starting spot somewhere else?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The portal craze honestly confuses me. With respect to playing time, if a player isn't playing much now, what makes them think they'll just win a starting spot somewhere else?

Well, Joe Burrow would disagree.  (He sat at Ohio State and then transferred to LSU and won a 'Natty.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, Joe Burrow would disagree.  (He sat at Ohio State and then transferred to LSU and won a 'Natty.)

I’m talking about the average guy in that 3000 player pool. There’s always going to be upper level guys looking for the perfect spot.

I just think most guys that have a hard time finding playing time will continue to do so elsewhere unless they drop down to lower level competition.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some it will help some it will hurt. Either way it's up to them and the coaches.

What I don't like is the other coaches and boosters contacting players to transfer. I don't see any way to stop that tho.

As Shirley Bassey sang so beautifully: “Let’s go where the grass is greener, for the grass is greener, anywhere you go!”

• Like 1

Speaking of transfers. What ever happened to Danny Mattingly? He left Eugene with eligibility and he never played football again.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Anybody that followed Joe Burrow knew he was elite.

How many Joe Burrows are within that 3,000?

We're talking 30 football teams worth of transfer requests.  

It's almost like all the people that ran out and bought toilet paper instead of food two years ago.  What are these guys thinking?  

Why don't we just form thirty more D1 teams so these guys face reality?

Edited by Mike West

Any word on UCLA receiver Chase Cota? Oregon would be a nice place to close out his collegiate career. 

His dad played for the Ducks in the early 90’s, and his cousin Brady Breeze did very well his senior year when Cristobal finally put him at safety for the Pac-12 championship game, followed by the Rose Bowl where he was named defensive player of the game.

Cota has been in the portal for a month??

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:25 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think the portal makes a lot of sense for many the 2nd string QB with the talent to start at another school. With Caleb Williams coming on board at USC it makes perfect sense for Dart to transfer to Ole Miss and for Slovis to transfer to Pitt. I think it also makes sense for a Bo Nix who is fed up with the dysfunction at the school where he is starting. Also makes sense for a guy who is a very good player at Duke, for instance, to go somewhere where he can compete for a title.

It also makes sense for overlooked guys who ball out in FCS. Like Cameron Wars from Immaculate Word transferring to WA ST and getting paid via NIL in the process. It also makes sense for guys being 'recruited' to go elsewhere (and this is happening all over the place) for a nice slice of NIL $. (Our friend Dye?)

3,000 guys are in the portal but more than half are FCS guys and walk-ons.

It's open 'free agency' in CFB and smartly or stupidly, players raised in a "ME" generation are taking advantage. 

On 2/14/2022 at 12:13 AM, DUCKED said:

Any word on UCLA receiver Chase Cota? Oregon would be a nice place to close out his collegiate career. 

His dad played for the Ducks in the early 90’s, and his cousin Brady Breeze did very well his senior year when Cristobal finally put him at safety for the Pac-12 championship game, followed by the Rose Bowl where he was named defensive player of the game.

Cota has been in the portal for a month??

He was underwhelming at best during his time in Westwood. I wouldn’t burn a scholarship on him. He could walk-on though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Mike West said:

Anybody that followed Joe Burrow knew he was elite.

How many Joe Burrows are within that 3,000?

We're talking 30 football teams worth of transfer requests.  

It's almost like all the people that ran out and bought toilet paper instead of food two years ago.  What are these guys thinking?  

Why don't we just form thirty more D1 teams so these guys face reality?

I agree Mike I told my son he was NFL ready when he was in college. Those are the facts for sure.