4. Clemson
5. Texas A&M
6. Notre Dame
7. Michigan
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Oregon

Phil Steele Predicts

Frankly, the Ducks are getting respect that is yet unearned.

But we will take it!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Where is LSU and USC? Oh and how bout the dogs up north.🤣😂

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Frankly, the Ducks are getting respect that is yet unearned.

I have to agree with this. With so much about Oregon untested it's hard to see how Steele projects a top 10 for Oregon. Steele of course predicted that Washington would be the "surprise" team last season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Annie. I think Phil's top 4 will in some order, be the top 4 in almost every preseason poll. UGA is not on Clemson's schedule as it was in 2021, so I do think the Tigers after going 10-3 last season will have a very good shot at returning to the final 4.

I don't get the love for A+M and the love for Notre Dame? Notre Dame opens the season with a game at Ohio State. ND's starting QB in 2021 is out of eligibility. The ND defense blew a 21 point lead vs OK ST in the Fiesta Bowl.

A+M has never lost fewer than 4 games under Jimbo. Like ND, A+M will have a new starter at QB. A+M reminds me of USC in the early years of the Trojans decline. Overrated based on recruiting that does not translate to the field of play.

Oklahoma at 9? With a new starter at QB and a defense-oriented new head coach? I think both Baylor and OK ST, 2 teams that defeated OK last season, are being way underrated. Both Baylor and OK ST return their starting QBs. Derek Mason is a very good replacement for the Cowboys DC who moved on to Ohio State.

Ducks at 10? is this Phil Steele or Phil Knight's take? Kidding. One good thing about playing a highly ranked Georgia team, if the Ducks take the L and the game is competitive it should not drop Oregon too far down in the polls. On the other hand, with Florida not likely to be too highly ranked a Utah loss in The Swamp on 9/3, would really hurt the Utes.

Phil Steele? One of his 'surprise' teams in 2021 was UW. Phil thought UW would be surprisingly good, not surprisingly bad.

I do think that LSU under Kelly, will be a very good team with a good chance at finishing in the top10? 

GO DUCKS! Rock the SEC and shock the CFB world on 9/3/22!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Jon...your in-depth knowledge of so many college teams never fails to impress me.  Great information!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel

My preseason top 75:

(I apologize for not presenting my total top-team list in my initial post)

1.       Anybody but the Wildcats

2.       Alabama

3.       Not Rutgers

4.       Oregon

5.       Some other pretty good school

6.       Those ones even though they have a dumb mascot

7.       Oregon

8.       Toledo

9.       Did I say Oregon yet?

10.     Any team called the Tigers

75.     Washington

Edited by Axel

The Surprise, Miami not mentioned.  So they are basing our ranking on current players and new coaching.  Miami, not on Coaching or players.  The depth and talent on Oregon is good, developing the talent that sticks around will be important.  Players like Thompson and Butterfield need to step up, show some leadership and be ready to contribute.

Starting with the Montana game, the Fuskies were certainly a "surprise "

On 3/2/2022 at 10:00 AM, 30Duck said:

I have to agree with this. With so much about Oregon untested it's hard to see how Steele projects a top 10 for Oregon. Steele of course predicted that Washington would be the "surprise" team last season.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Axel said:

My preseason top 75:

2.       Alabama

3.       Not Rutgers

4.       Oregon

7.       Oregon

8.       Toledo

75.     Washington

You got the fuskies a little high me thinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's seeing what I have a gut feeling about in that the Ducks return an experienced and very talented team.

Guest Axel
On 3/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Just Ducky said:

You got the fuskies a little high me thinks.

You are absolutely right. I carelessly omitted a zero--this was supposed to be my preseason top 750. I'm ranking the Huskies just below #749 Ed Shlabotnik's Culinary School and just ahead of #751 Harriet's Nail-Styling Academy. 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:28 PM, Axel said:

My preseason top 75:

2.       Alabama

3.       Not Rutgers

4.       Oregon

7.       Oregon

8.       Toledo

75.     Washington

Holy Toledo. I was born in Toledo, in the same hospital where Urban Meyer and Jim Harbough were born. I arrived quite a bit sooner than these two gentlemen.

One of the great sports names, the AAA ball Toledo Mud Hens. Mom was a Toledo University Rocket-Woman before earning a Masters Degree in Social Work from Ohio State. She watched the Rockets play in the Glass Bowl. 

Nick Saban's initial head coaching gig was at Toledo. However, Nick played at Kent State, along with Steelers LB Jack Lambright and another future CFB coach, Gary Pinkle. The team coached by Don James. In his football journey. Nick served as an assistant coach for James at Kent State and then at (BOO!) UW. Lou Holtz also played his CFB ball at Kent State.

On 3/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, Axel said:

You are absolutely right. I carelessly omitted a zero--this was supposed to be my preseason top 750. I'm ranking the Huskies just below #749 Ed Shlabotnik's Culinary School and just ahead of #751 Harriet's Nail-Styling Academy. 

That Shlabotnik makes one mean Polish sausage. The secret? Tabasco sauce and fried rutabaga.  I've been told that the Fighting Harriet's get a lot of clipping penalties?

• Haha 1

Guest Axel
On 3/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I've been told that the Fighting Harriet's get a lot of clipping penalties?

Yes! But their team colors remain unrivaled. 😄

One of the great sports names, the AAA ball Toledo Mud Hens.

image.jpeg.fe026a4970ba5327bbc9c25ac205c07a.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

I can see why the Ducks would get some respect. There is a lot of talent still in town, and an exciting new coaching staff. 

Draw backs are of course there's a new coaching staff. 

How quickly the players and coaches mesh, how good Mix (or Thompson or Butterfield if one of them beats him out) turns out to be this year, how well the whole flock of young running backs and wide receivers perform are all questions?

But if all of these turn out to be positives, I can see the Ducks in the top 10, especially if they can pull off that shocker in Atlanta on 9-3. That'll be a tough one though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

Holy Toledo. I was born in Toledo, in the same hospital where Urban Meyer and Jim Harbough were born.

That was Mercy Hospital, I believe? My sister was also born at Mercy; I chose to be different and came into the world at the old Flower Hospital on Cherry Street. 

I earned my bachelor's degree at Toledo. Prior to my attending UT, the 1969-71 Rockets football team won 35 straight games under the leadership of quarterback Chuck Ealey. Here's another name you'll recognize out the past: the coach of that Rockets team was Frank X. Lauterbur. 

It's great to make the acquaintance of a fellow Toledo Duck!

Guest Axel
On 3/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, EzDucksIt said:

The Surprise, Miami not mentioned. 

With all due respect to Phil Steele, he was working against a tight deadline and was not able to compile a ranking for every team, as I did.

Miami Hurricane fans will be overjoyed to learn that I rank their team a full 101 spots above the Pac-12's perennial off-season champion Washington Huskies. The Hurricanes come in at #649, slightly behind #648 Mabel's Typewriter Tech and just above #650 Philomath Junior High. 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:33 PM, Axel said:

slightly behind #648 Mabel's Typewriter Tech 

MTT is trying to work out a H & H with the750's, though the 750's lack of scholastic acumen has some at MTT concerned.

• Haha 1

Guest Axel
On 3/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, 30Duck said:

MTT is trying to work out a H & H with the750's, though the 750's lack of scholastic acumen has some at MTT concerned.

Yes, it's a nasty little media war between Mabel and Kalen DeBoer, the new coach of the 750s, formerly called the Huskies. Mabel penned a scathing editorial against the Washington 750s that was published in the Seattle Times. Alas, Mabel wrote the blistering tirade in shorthand and no one in the Putrid Sound vicinity had the academic prowess to read it. 

Annie, thanks for posting the list. It's always fun to see what others feel or perceive the future to be 

With the unrestricted transfer portal in play by April 30th the top 10 could change dramatically. Then change again by September 1st. Much to ponder and discuss.

The only constants are Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and maybe Clemson.  OBD's must string 3 or 4 seasons of 13-0 or 12-1 to break into that club. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, Axel said:

Yes, it's a nasty little media war between Mabel and Kalen DeBoer, the new coach of the 750s, formerly called the Huskies. Mabel penned a scathing editorial against the Washington 750s that was published in the Seattle Times. Alas, Mabel wrote the blistering tirade in shorthand and no one in the Putrid Sound vicinity had the academic prowess to read it. 

Where is Tiro when DeBoer really needs him? Guess he prefers Roma to Seattle? Very smart man.

I know it is hard to believe, but the food in Roma is even better than dining at Shlabotnik's.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:00 AM, 30Duck said:

Steele of course predicted that Washington would be the "surprise" team last season.

...and I think that Steele was surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1