FishDuck Article

Learning About Lanning: Georgia’s 2021 Secret to Success

This is another article in a series covering unique aspects Coach Dan Lanning will unfold at Oregon, and each article has had separate interesting subjects. We will cover some interesting mind-sets that Coach Lanning has acquired from Kirby Smart (and indirectly from Nick Saban), and we will look at what many analysts now believe is “the” secret to Georgia’s success ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Team building, connection, bonding - the secret to TEAM.  I remember when Mike Bellotti turned around the Oregon team with a similar approach.

Great article Charles!  Kirby Smart's  “return on investment showed up almost immediately on film, with the camaraderie and bonding between this squad.” 

You identified the key to success in team sports!

Thanks for doing all the research talking with Georgia fans!

• Thumbs Up 3

To me, this article and what I learned explains so much of what Coach Lanning was telling us and why.  Thanks Coach!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The secret sauce, which really isn't too secret. Individuals make up a team, but a team is made from the connection between all the players and coaches. This can be seen on the field when a true team is built.

When you have a team you don't see individuals celebrating, you see the team helping each other. Players helping each other make tackles, get up from tackles, and covering each others mistakes and weaknesses. Everyone is part of the team too. There is a commitment from the back-ups, and they feel part of the teams success. 

All this is happening while each individual is committed to growing and becoming their best. There is support for helping each other become their best. Each player knows the other is trying to elevate his game, not just win the game. There is a joined bond to win as individuals, while putting the team first. DJ Johnson exemplifies this attitude. I hope it catches on and we see it take over the program.

• Thumbs Up 5

I like the contrast between the stories about Lanning's team building through connecting and bonding and the USC coach's $17,000,000 bling palace. It tells me the kind of players each program will go after and where each program will wind up in a few years. The me vs we couldn't be made more clearer.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:25 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I like the contrast between the stories about Lanning's team building through connecting and bonding and the USC coach's $17,000,000 bling palace. It tells me the kind of players each program will go after and where each program will wind up in a few years. The me vs we couldn't be made more clearer.

So true, the individual celebrations have already begun, continue within the sc program. Soon enough the quandary of how can we loose with this much talent will, again, be the topic of conversation at catered cocktail parties throughout the sc faithful. 

Unknown-3.jpeg

• Haha 3

Contrast the sc way to the Oregon way. The Oregon way is to look stoic on the outside, barely any movement from above the waterline. Underneath there is a flurry of activity as the Duck advances forward. Great conversation about what that activity is!

68mv5s.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

This is one of the reasons why I believe we are going to click right out of the gate.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Great article Charles. Thank you for all your research into DL. He is young. But, I can not help to be excited to watch this team bond and learn under his guidance.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guest Axel

It seems to me that Dan Lanning is embracing a variation of Chip Kelly's "Win the Day," mantra, with one all-important difference. Lanning is weaving the mantra into a process that will enable the Ducks to document their daily challenges, improvements, and victories. Significantly, Lanning's player motivation appears to be paired with concrete practicality.

Mantras and slogans are great, but without mapping out specific steps to build positive progression, those mantras will remain mere words.

I truly hope that the connections being built between the coaches and players helps the new staff truly find out why this talented squad got destroyed on the field at the end of the season. 

Did they lose trust in MC and his staff? Did they stop caring for each other, the team and staff? Did the players feel betrayed?

Emotional damage control will go along ways to bringing back the swagger that apparently was left in Columbus ,Ohio.

I like that Coach Lanning and staff are building that bridge of trust, again. A commitment of trust for each other, the staff and team is critical to the journey to Athens and beyond.

• Thumbs Up 2

Terrific article! I do note that Georgia's 2021 roster had more 5* players on it than played in the entire Pac-12.

THIS helps the cause.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/15/2022 at 12:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Terrific article! I do note that Georgia's 2021 roster had more 5* players on it than played in the entire Pac-12.

THIS helps the cause.

Yes, coaches are important, but they never throw or catch a pass, run the football, throw a block or make a tackle. You have to have good/great  players.

You can also have the 5* players and not win championships.

When players are playing for each other, getting better for each other, pushing each other to be better, then you have something magical. If you have that and 5* talent...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/15/2022 at 2:09 PM, OhioDuck said:

Yes, coaches are important, but they never throw or catch a pass, run the football, throw a block or make a tackle. You have to have good/great  players.

You can also have the 5* players and not win championships.

When players are playing for each other, getting better for each other, pushing each other to be better, then you have something magical. If you have that and 5* talent...

Lanning said as much in his intro presser if I remember right.

It will be interesting to see how these talented Ducks are going to perform under what I consider a rough schedule. I certainly don’t expect a final four appearance. However after saying that I think we have enough talent, if healthy, to take the pack. QB will be the issue. If our coaching staff can develop our QB room to produce a Mariota or Dixon like player out of the group then the Ducks should be a dynamo and win a bunch of games. 

I believe because our offense strength is our run blocking OL. We are going to run the ball down people's throats. Then take successful shots downfield.

Our defense another strength of this team is going to be a terror and give us the field position advantage throughout the game. If we stay relatively healthy I do see us going to have a shocking season