DanLduck

Is NIL to Blame?

I have zero evidence for this thought, but I'm wondering about the NIL giving individuals on teams a bigger sense of themselves. 

Both coaches of our basketball teams, Graves and Altman, at different times suggested players were not all buying in to the team plan.

Could earning $$ based on NIL encourage players to try and beef up individual stats? We all get influenced by the voices we are listening to.

I know we have come to expect more from both men and women's bball of late, and you can't win every year...

...but I don't recall ever hearing much from either coach about players bearing responsibility for losses. Usually the coach has taken the blame.

It will be interesting to watch this as NIL continues. 

What are some of y'all thoughts on this?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/20/2022 at 4:00 PM, DanLduck said:

I'm wondering about the NIL giving individuals on teams a bigger sense of themselves. 

Absolutely.  Mix the components of hearing how great they are for years, with the poor judgment of youth and add a bunch of money?  That is a cocktail that is bad for anyone...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Absolutely.  Mix the components of hearing how great they are for years, with the poor judgment of youth and add a bunch of money?  That is a cocktail that is bad for anyone...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Aloha…lol.

Teenagers with more money than their parents could ever make. What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

Charles makes great points.

Almost every NBA player makes more $ than the HC, but at least 1 team every season is coherent enough to win a championship. The same is true in the NFL, MLB and MLS.

NIL is the world in which we live today. Coaches will adopt and adapt or they will be canned.

Coaches are being paid millions and millions of dollars in 'market value.' IMO, the athletes these multi-millionaire's coach have every right to earn their individual market value. 

Pandora has left the box and is not going to return.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Almost every NBA player makes more $ than the HC, but at least 1 team every season is coherent enough to win a championship. The same is true in the NFL, MLB and MLS.

Every league has a champion because that is the way they are structured.  Perhaps a more pertinent question is whether the 'teams' of today could compete with those we remember from out youth.  Could the 2022 Rams penetrate the Steel Curtain?  Could the last several NBA champions avoid getting swept by the '77 Trailblazers, let alone the Willis Reed led New York Knicks or the Red Auerbach Boston Celtics, teams that played as (gasp) teams?  How would the Brooklyn Dodgers or NY Yankees of the same era fare in today's leagues?

It is difficult to compare athletes of different era's.  Today they are specialized and have trained all their lives for one sport, many times for one position.  They look like better athletes but, as those of us who watched Steve Prefontaine can attest, guts and determination often triumph.  Ronnie Lee wasn't the most gifted basketball player but I want him on my team every time.

Not all of the athletes today have Name, Image Likeness as top of mind awareness but I believe there are enough to damage their respective sports.

I agree with you it would be tough for any comparison but I do believe because of the metrics todays athletes would have an advantage. Just on practice structure alone they would have an advantage. Repetition creates better results. Todays athletes train pretty much year round.

Now let's consider physical attributes. Again todays players have an advantage in health, speed and strength. I know back in 72 when I last played I was 6' 4" 240 lbs. I was one of the biggest players in Oregon. In fact the school had to get me a pair of shoulder pads from OSU. I played DL/OL, now I'd be lucky to be a LB. Most speed records fall every year.

Now I do believe if you were to bring the old players to today and let them use all the advantages of today they would probably excel.

The average NFL lineman in 1970 was 6'3" 255 lbs, today the average NFL lineman is 6'5" 312 lbs.  Food, health and science is way more advanced for athletes now than it was just 20 years ago.  40+ years ago forget about it.

I think it is way too early to make any definitive decisions on what NIL will do for NCAA teams.  We are in year 1.  We are also mainly looking at it from the Oregon Ducks point of view.  Our basketball teams just couldn't bring it together this season for both teams.  1 season is not a trend, it is an aberration.  At this point it is just a coincidence, but if we see the same thing next year and the year after that, then absolutely it is a trend. 

No coach or school well every have a 100% track record of being good/great.

• Thumbs Up 1

With iamagreedy going to Tenn we will see how this money thing will turn out. I project he will under perform due to a lack of the need to practice and play hard because he and his family are set for life unless the 8 million isn't accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, Duck 1972 said:

With iamagreedy going to Tenn we will see how this money thing will turn out. I project he will under perform due to a lack of the need to practice and play hard because he and his family are set for life unless the 8 million isn't accurate.

It's 8 mill over 4 years.

In reading his announcement as to why he chose UT, there was no mention of $$. Just a great program.

Yeah, right!

At some point there has to be some regulation of NIL. There is regulation of any business that balances the ability to make money with keeping it from harming others while doing it. 

To some extent I am wondering if this can be done by NIL being something that happens after you come to school, not promised before. 

It seems like what is happening right now in some (certainly not all) instances is a bidding war that has nothing to do with Name, Image and Likeness, but is a thinly disguised bribe to get kids to come play for whoever. 

I have no problem with someone being able to profit from their NIL, I've always thought for example when a jersey is sold with a players name and number in college, that player should get a portion of the proceeds. That's only fair.

If they are able to market themselves, even if the school helps them in marketing themselves, great! 

But I don't think some of the offers we are at least hearing rumors about have anything to do with real NIL, it's just the same old corruption made legal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:36 PM, OhioDuck said:

It seems like what is happening right now in some (certainly not all) instances is a bidding war that has nothing to do with Name, Image and Likeness, but is a thinly disguised bribe to get kids to come play for whoever. 

Yep.  It is out in the open now; there is NO WAY anyone can pay 8 million to a QB, make a profit, and it pencils out.  Ditto for a "charity" paying $50,000 a year to the third string offensive lineman at Texas?  If there is regulation on the horizon...this time will be considered by the players to be a Golden Age for them.

Don't TOUCH my NIL.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

So I'm guessing Arch Manning won't be following his uncle Peyton to UT now.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, Duck 1972 said:

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2022 at 5:36 PM, OhioDuck said:

At some point there has to be some regulation of NIL. There is regulation of any business that balances the ability to make money with keeping it from harming others while doing it. 

To some extent I am wondering if this can be done by NIL being something that happens after you come to school, not promised before. 

I have no problem with someone being able to profit from their NIL, I've always thought for example when a jersey is sold with a players name and number in college, that player should get a portion of the proceeds. That's only fair.

If they are able to market themselves, even if the school helps them in marketing themselves, great! 

But I don't think some of the offers we are at least hearing rumors about have anything to do with real NIL, it's just the same old corruption made legal.

But my friend, until the Transition Committee is finished and their recommendations are received in whole or in part, there is no collective ready to control NIL in whole or in part. 

You take a 9-0 whipping from the Supreme Court and any challenge to NIL without negotiation with the players is a waste of time.

Spot on regarding 'corruption now being above board. But 'cheating' being authorized at least gets deals out in the open.

Anyone remember 'Scam' Newton and his Dad shopping his services that he knew nothing about?

• Thumbs Up 2