30Duck

Which Oregon Football Team Was the GOAT?

I would throw the 2010 team in there. That team was one horrible call away from being the National Champs!

• Thumbs Up 5

On 3/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, Chuck Duck said:

I would throw the 2010 team in there. That team was one horrible call away from being the National Champs!

Harris intercepted that ball. Q2 I think. Auburn scored shortly after. 

Agreed 2010 my pick.

The closest team to the Natty for the Ducks in my mind was 2007. Dixon doesn't go down the Ducks sweep the Heisman,the championship, and the real "Duck Dynasty" begins. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 3/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, 30Duck said:

The closest team to the Natty for the Ducks in my mind was 2007. Dixon doesn't go down the Ducks sweep the Heisman,the championship, and the real "Duck Dynasty" begins. 

Agree. That team was good on both sides of the ball and Dixon was unstoppable. Just ask Michigan, they had Sabin scared to death. But then disaster.

I'm going with 2012.

Marcus's first year as a starter. Led college football in TOs I  believe. 

Was an incredibly (and par for the course) bad Pac12 call away from being undefeated and winning it all. 

Can't catch a pass laying out of bounds unless you're from Stanfurd! 

On 3/25/2022 at 7:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

Harris intercepted that ball. Q2 I think. Auburn scored shortly after. 

Auburn scored in the very next play 

And that doesn't include the sack, fumble TD the refs didn't allow.

That's 14 points right there.  

We were better than Auburn.  The refs tremendously effected that game.

They don't win without those calls.  Point blank.  

• Thumbs Up 6

Guest Axel

On 3/26/2022 at 1:27 PM, Mike West said:

Auburn scored in the very next play 

And that doesn't include the sack, fumble TD the refs didn't allow.

That's 14 points right there.  

We were better than Auburn.  The refs tremendously effected that game.

They don't win without those calls.  Point blank.  

You're talking about our Alliance buddy B1G refs, right? The game looked like it was being called by SEC refs. Brutal!

Plus, losing to a NIL-paid QB before NIL and his Cheese-Whiz HC.

• Haha 3

let's see we have many teams to consider.

2001 Joey and the Ducks # 2 cheated out of the Championship game against Miami.

2007 D Dixon we will never know but before injury we blew everyone in including the big bad Michigan at their place.

2010 C K, LM James, the best defense in school history and the undefeated Ducks who got cheated on numerous plays and end up losing to the cheating Auburn.

2014 M Mariota and a good defense who lost at least 2 key players in semi's and then tOSU. 

Honorable mention.

I don't remember the year but we had RB R Drounghs go down after beating UCLA at their place. We were ranked pretty high and so was UCLA. 

1994 first Rose Bowl in 30 yrs. Tough match with Penn State

2012 bad call in game against Stanford

2019 almost came back after bad start at ASU.

Again to me it's 2010 they are the only team to go undefeated in reg season, actually played and should have won a natty.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great discussion, but it will always be the last one. Proud to see the old teams defended, but when a team wins it all it will be the greatest. All the teams which made it possible, will most likely, be forgotten.

One item we have always been weak at is depth. When Dixon went down it was over. In 2014 we didn't have receiver depth. Even in 2001 we didn't have the depth in program history. I think we just might be beginning to have the depth of players and program history to make a real run. The powers that be may just let us in. Once there we just might have the depth in players and win it all.

Once that happens I hope we don't forget the greats of the past. Much like Brooks who doesn't look so great because of his record, we can't forget those who got us here. This is another defining element of the Oregon Program and it's fans. We are proud of every part of our program. From the Brooks program, to even recently the hiring outsiders, we have built a program we can be proud of. A program moving towards being the greatest of all time!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes depth is key but with the transfer portal the way it is it will become harder and harder for teams to hang on to quality backups who want to play. Nil money won’t help either. Healthy players will be the key so a little luck is always good. 

On 3/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mike West said:

They don't win without those calls. 

Or, a less stubborn Chip.  If you can't move Farley, go around him!

I agree with the 2010 team with one caveat, that 2014 team lost 10 or more starters to injury that year on both sides of the ball and still managed to make it to the final. Had we been more healthy...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, DanLduck said:

I agree with the 2010 team with one caveat, that 2014 team lost 10 or more starters to injury that year on both sides of the ball and still managed to make it to the final. Had we been more healthy...

My vote has to be the 2014 team. Oregon was loaded with talent but got devastated by injury that year, particularly heading into the postseason and championship game. If that team had been anywhere near full strength the natty outcome may have been different. Starters that were out.

Bralon Addison 

Tyler Johnstone 

Johnny Mundt

Andre Yruretagoyena

Pharaoh Brown

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Devon Allen

Darren Carrington (suspended for pot)

Jake Fisher and Hronus Grasu were both injured and missed several games. Yet except for the stumble against Arizona, which was avenged in the Pac12 championship game, that team had a stellar year. Buckner,  Armistead and MM all were 1st round draft picks. Ifo would have been if he hadn't destroyed his left knee.  Fourteen other Ducks ended up playing in the NFL and several like Hill, Mundt, Brown, Hollins, Walker, Mondeaux, Jelks, Crosby, Grasu and Freeman are still there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, Chuck Duck said:

2012 team was one horrific call away from what would likely have been a natty.