Haywarduck

Honeymoon Or Courtship Period?

I was thinking about this the other day. Are we in a honeymoon period with The Dan Lanning era or just the courtship process? It definitely feels like the honeymoon period as everything is just blissful at the moment. The problem is we really don't know what we have tied our program too so I would say Lanning is just courting us now, the honeymoon is too come.

I would say the honeymoon period will happen when we see a win with the new offense and defense. For now we are just getting to know who this coach is. We are finding out he just might be a better recruiter than Mario. How else does a D-coordinator bring in the best O-line recruit in our history, when competing against Mario. We also are getting to know he has probably put together the best group of coaches in our history, when it was thought maybe Mario had.

The courtship is also happening on the playing field. Players are saying playing football is fun again. We are seeing a real competition at qb, even though there is a more experienced veteran in the mix. Off the field we haven't seen any misbehavior, but I also look forward to a much better handling of any transgressions by the student athletes. 

We are in a courtship period as many people were starting to tire of the football program. Some were wondering if a new coach could bring back the desire to go to games, now it sounds like the spring game will have record crowds.

The courtship is leading right up to a perfect marriage of a coach and fanbase. I look forward to the honeymoon period to begin once the first snap happens even if it isn't exactly where we want the marriage to begin. I do look forward to that bonding experience and many more after, with Coach Lanning and staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of perspectives here, Hayward. I'd say we're in the Honeymoon rather than the Courtship phase because Lanning has been hired, the job is his. The games haven't been played yet, but there is no off time for a coach of a winning program and Lanning has definitely been taking care of business. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Honeymoon for sure seems that we have a 29.1 mil prenup. 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, 30Duck said:

A lot of perspectives here, Hayward. I'd say we're in the Honeymoon rather than the Courtship phase because Lanning has been hired, the job is his. The games haven't been played yet, but there is no off time for a coach of a winning program and Lanning has definitely been taking care of business. 

I would agree in the old days. You were married before you lived together. We have moved in together, but still haven't tied the knot with Coach Lanning.  I still don't think we have married up, until the games begin, but it is just a ponder point. 

I would also say it was more of an arranged marriage, so the courtship continues as we get to know each other. CK was a more traditional marriage as was Bellotti. Kind of scary seeing how my mind works, sorry!

• Like 1

I would say we tied the knot and we're traveling to the honeymoon. Now we need to cross that threshold and see if we're getting what we were dreaming of!

Edited by DUCati855

We are now married, therefore it’s honeymoon time and everything is great. 

The new spouse is young and telling us that they want to add some spice into the relationship.

Hmmm…I think I will stick around for awhile.

Definitely the reception and Dan L'd Duck has invited the whole family. 

• Like 1

Here's hoping that he doesn't knock us up and run off with the first hot Southerly blonde that winks at him and promises him SEC.  I kid but I know I'm not the only one thinking it.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

What if we sour, suddenly realizing our bride has never, well you know........ coached a game, and doesn't know how to...... do it? Is this marriage strong enough to withstand a little first time difficulty?

This topic is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs. I think we're past the honeymoon and working on arranging the "house" to best suit us.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

This topic is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs. I think we're past the honeymoon and working on arranging the "house" to best suit us.

I hear our uncle is building a new playhouse, right? I hope it is big enough for all the kids!

• Haha 1

I definitely see "honeymoon."  That's when it still doesn't bother you that cauliflower gives her gas or that she clips her toenails in bed.  Big rose colored glasses.

And I definitely see rose colored glasses a variety of times on this board.  Comments about how Lanning is going to eat USC's lunch in recruiting, how his D will stifle Riley's O, looking forward to lots of 5-star recruits, best coaching staff ever, etc.

All before the staff has coached one game.

Maybe all the optimism will prove to be fully warranted - we'll get top 5 recruiting classes, compete on a level playing field with SEC teams, go to the playoffs even before they're expanded to 12 teams, etc.  I hope so.  I've backed the Ducks since the days of Reggie Ogburn and Vince Goldsmith, and dearly want to buy some absurdly overpriced national championship gear.

But it's also quite possible that the coaches will prove to be great recruiters who aren't great in-game coaches.  Or that Lanning will be one of many who are awesome coordinators and not terribly good head coaches (Charlie Weiss, Buddy Ryan, Mark Helfrich, etc.).  Or that SC will re-establish dominance under Riley and we'll consistently play 2nd fiddle in the Pac-12.  Or that Lanning will jump ship in two years for an SEC job.  Or that Dillingham will be lacking as an OC.  Or that we'll end up relying on the transfer portal for seasoned mediocrity over promising inexperience and have trouble keeping recruits.  

At this point, I see a lot of honeymoon optimism from fans.  Not to piddle on anyone's parade, but I'm very much in a wait-and-see mode.  Not because I believe any of the negative things will happen, but because it's not yet proven that they won't.

A lot of us were pretty excited about Willy Taggert and Mario Cristobal when they started, too.  Let's just give it a realistic chance and see where it goes...

• Thumbs Up 1

Let’s hope we make it to the 7 year itch part. That means we had a pretty good 6 year run to have not ended it sooner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

But it's also quite possible that the coaches will prove to be great recruiters who aren't great in-game coaches.  Or that Lanning will be one of many who are awesome coordinators and not terribly good head coaches (Charlie Weiss, Buddy Ryan, Mark Helfrich, etc.).  Or that SC will re-establish dominance under Riley and we'll consistently play 2nd fiddle in the Pac-12.  Or that Lanning will jump ship in two years for an SEC job.  Or that Dillingham will be lacking as an OC.  Or that we'll end up relying on the transfer portal for seasoned mediocrity over promising inexperience and have trouble keeping recruits.  

Wow, this was a major buzz kill, glad you weren't in the dressing room before the wedding!

On 4/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Maybe all the optimism will prove to be fully warranted - we'll get top 5 recruiting classes, compete on a level playing field with SEC teams, go to the playoffs even before they're expanded to 12 teams, etc.  I hope so.  I've backed the Ducks since the days of Reggie Ogburn and Vince Goldsmith, and dearly want to buy some absurdly overpriced national championship gear.

Now this is the guy we need in the dressing room to make sure our guy doesn't leave out the back door. Agree, I'm pretty sure Nike's stock price will jump after all the gear being bought!

• Haha 1