Charles Fischer

Geoff Schwartz: 'Oregon Could Be a Playoff Team...IF...'

“If Bo Nix doesn’t lose the game — put it like that — Oregon could be a Playoff team. Could.” 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Read this. All about QB play per GS. I agree but kind of an obvious take?

He believes 9-4 for the Ducks in 2022 would be a fine showing and Oregon is in the Natty hunt in 2023.

I can't disagree because this is what I have been espousing. 2 top 25 opponents OOC and 5 road conference games is simply a witch.

I agree that Nix will start and I also agree based on the spring game that he has it in him to make baffling throws.

Love the hire of Lanning and the guys he has brought with him but again,  and I hope I am wrong, I think 9-4 would be a darn good first year showing. 

For you and other Ducks out there how many Oregon coaches have won 9 games in season 1?

Like GS I hope we see better results in 2022 but I want to be realistic regarding this season's team.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will take Bo Nix's baffling throws and decisions and his resume of beating Oregon, Bama, and Texas A&M in a career over anything Anthony Brown Jr ever please. Thanks. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

All I know is we need to lose to Georgia to start the season. A team needs to grow as the season goes along, not peak early with an upset. Last season Oregon peaked early with an upset and then lost its last 3 of 4 games. It also got upset in a game they should have won. I will take a loss in the first game as long as we finish strong, and play all teams to our potential.

When you have a big upset win, there is almost always a let down and the team has a hard time keeping the momentum. This is why I want to see us lose against Georgia, and even get upset by BYU. What is important is we get better as the season progresses and end up winning some maybe we shouldn't have to set us up for recruiting and the next season.

I could see a loss at Georgia, maybe get beat by BYU or WSU and then go on a winning streak which extends to the end of the season. This is how the Oregon program can create a new identity, one which is built on growth and resilience. I just don't want to see us be a program which has a few marque wins, but flounders along with no real solidity of purpose going forward.

The Oregon Football Program is building towards the future, and needs to do a few things. One of the tenants of Lanning's mantra is to grow, and getting better through the season is critical. I want to see a stellar record on the second half of the season, with a bowl win. What I don't want to see is a big wins, some bad games and a team adrift at the end of the season. 

But maybe Lanning can put together a resilient giant killer of a team from the get go. I doubt it, and will take a couple losses early, and a new identity of winning from compounding knowledge and skills which makes a sustainable robust program we can all be proud of day in and day out.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

For you and other Ducks out there how many Oregon coaches have won 9 games in season 1?

Bellotti: 9-3, Kelly: 10-3, Cristobal: 9-4

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

My bet is on 10-2 -Yup Im an optimist. Even if Bo throws a bunch of interceptions I think we can rely on the D to put things aright. One can dream,right?

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is we need to lose to Georgia to start the season. A team needs to grow as the season goes along, not peak early with an upset.

I will disagree with this. When 1 L is pretty much the minimum for getting in the CFP, I don't find losing the first game of the season as the plan. I don't see last year's season for the Ducks ending differently with a L to Ohio State, except they would probably have been in the Holiday Bowl. 

If this team beats Georgia in game 1 I see them moving through the season differently than did last season's team after beating Ohio State. Most teams that have been in the CFP have started the season off with a W and have gotten better as the season went on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is we need to lose to Georgia to start the season. A team needs to grow as the season goes along, not peak early with an upset. Last season Oregon peaked early with an upset and then lost its last 3 of 4 games. It also got upset in a game they should have won. I will take a loss in the first game as long as we finish strong, and play all teams to our potential.

When you have a big upset win, there is almost always a let down and the team has a hard time keeping the momentum. This is why I want to see us lose against Georgia, and even get upset by BYU. What is important is we get better as the season progresses and end up winning some maybe we shouldn't have to set us up for recruiting and the next season.

I could see a loss at Georgia, maybe get beat by BYU or WSU and then go on a winning streak which extends to the end of the season. This is how the Oregon program can create a new identity, one which is built on growth and resilience. I just don't want to see us be a program which has a few marque wins, but flounders along with no real solidity of purpose going forward.

The Oregon Football Program is building towards the future, and needs to do a few things. One of the tenants of Lanning's mantra is to grow, and getting better through the season is critical. I want to see a stellar record on the second half of the season, with a bowl win. What I don't want to see is a big wins, some bad games and a team adrift at the end of the season. 

But maybe Lanning can put together a resilient giant killer of a team from the get go. I doubt it, and will take a couple losses early, and a new identity of winning from compounding knowledge and skills which makes a sustainable robust program we can all be proud of day in and day out.

Respect your POV of course but I disagree. Nothing would help Oregon recruiting more than defeating the defending champ in its home state.

It would be the most significant first game win for any coach in the Ducks history. It would nationally cement Lanning's bona fides to be a head coach. This game will draw far more eyeballs than any other game the Ducks will play in the regular season.

It would give a much needed big time win to a conference that desperately needs such a win. Especially with media renegotiations on the horizon. 

Based on what we have seen and heard to date I expect this group of coaches to have the team ready to play up to its potential and not down to the level of the opponent. I don't expect this staff to blow the game like Mario did vs Auburn.

If you are going to schedule these kind of games you have to win your fair share of same.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is we need to lose to Georgia to start the season. A team needs to grow as the season goes along, not peak early with an upset. Last season Oregon peaked early with an upset and then lost its last 3 of 4 games

I'm with 30Duck on this though Hayward has a legit argument that Oregon peaked too early and allowed the season to get away from them starting with the Stanford debacle. We don't want that repeated in the unlikely event of a win at Georgia, but if win Oregon does, this is a different team with different coaching and an upgrade at QB. And hopefully fewer critical injuries contributing to last season's wheezing to the finish line.

That said, the previous regime pulled off a stunning upset at tOSU. I watched it again a few days ago and nearly every position group either played a great game or had just enough flashes of brilliance to secure the win. That includes AB and the D-Backs.

In spite of how the season turned out, would anyone not take the beautiful smack down the Ducks put on the high and mighty Buckeyes in their own house? God, that felt good. What a great, and long overdue, consolation prize for a so-so year. The majority of the young players in that game are still in Eugene and I believe that win will continue to bear fruit on the recruiting trail for years to come.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, 30Duck said:

Bellotti: 9-3, Kelly: 10-3, Cristobal: 9-4

Helfrich 11-2 

I know he often gets overlooked but I'll be honest I have a soft spot for Helfrich. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Experience. The key factor is having been there and done that. This team has the advantage of going through what happened last year with the peaking at tOSU to win the biggest ooc game in our history, going through disastrous injuries and loosing at the end.

I believe that has left a sour taste in their mouths of what could and should have been. A spot in the final 4.

Even with the new coaching staff or because of it I feel we are going to shock the CFB world this coming season.

Again experience is the key to this assessment and we have it.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

and not down to the level of the opponent

Hopefully they will not play down to Georgia (wink wink).

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:32 AM, 30Duck said:

I will disagree with this. When 1 L is pretty much the minimum for getting in the CFP, I don't find losing the first game of the season as the plan. I don't see last year's season for the Ducks ending differently with a L to Ohio State, except they would probably have been in the Holiday Bowl. 

If this team beats Georgia in game 1 I see them moving through the season differently than did last season's team after beating Ohio State. Most teams that have been in the CFP have started the season off with a W and have gotten better as the season went on. 

No team in the CFP schedules last years national champs as an away game for their first game. So starting out with a win to make the playoffs shouldn't be on our must do list, or anywhere close to that high of expectation.

Don't get me wrong I want the Ducks fighting to win every game, the Georgia game included. If Lanning has the Ducks doing that then we will do just fine in recruiting.

The playbook for the CFP teams is to schedule a name and drill them for their first game. Alabama has done that, last year against Miami, and also USC in the past, but never as an away game. I suppose they are usually neutral sites, but the teams usually fold and the site isn't too neutral like Atlanta isn't. 

What I want to see is Oregon to play them tough. I want to see a team that stays hungry, and doesn't get full of themselves. One item I think we need to keep in mind is the growth mindset is also the resilient mindset. It is a mindset which fails often and keeps fighting on. This failure doesn't always include losing, but there is a lot of so what, now what. That is what I want to see after the Georgia game, after a hard fought game with lots to improve upon.

If fans are trying to be realistic about this team and the new coaching staff what do others see as the likely outcome of the season, and tough first game? I'm just wanting to see improvement and resilience. I think a hard fought loss is the most likely road to that outcome.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Helfrich 11-2 

Well done, David. I seriously didn't even think of Helfrich. Two lashes with a Duck's feathers for me!

One thing I can  guarantee about the game on September 3 at the Benz is that Dan Lanning runs the Ducks on the field with a plan for winning that contest. The second thing I can guarantee is that  Kirby  knows this, will not take the  Ducks  lightly, and will not let his players be guilty of that sin. I am expecting a fun and competitive game, and yes, honesty compels me to believe that the Dawgs will find a way to "get er done".

Having said this, I think that if  the line continues to favor  Georgia  by 15 points, I may be  tempted to place a small bet on the Ducks, perhaps to win back part of the dinero I may have to shell out to a scalper to get into the game.

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3