DanLduck

How Does New 'Pac10' Affect Oregon's 2023 Recruiting Class

With this unsettling news of the 'LAexit', might this affect the choices of our current class of recruits?

Without a USC, can a Pac12/10 school have a high enough rating to make a top 4 invite, even if they go undefeated?

Can't you just hear the likes of UM or LSU telling D. Moore he has no shot at a title if he chooses Oregon.

Battling NIL was bad enough, but now not even playing a game in LA?!

I don't have a clue about a solution, but man, I sure hope something comes out soon.

Yeah. This is a recruiting disaster.  I can already hear the “Oregon is essentially a mid major” narrative coming coach’s mouths. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Very good point……

All True, but Dante isn' t making that decision tomorrow and by the time he does the dust will probably be settled and we will know a lot more about where we will be.  If we are in the Big 10 that is probably even more enticing to him.  

I think most of the high end recruits will probably hold off committing until this thing settles down a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of my hopes now rest on Oregon going to the Big 10. Our players are "paid athletes" these days. They can man up and travel on a charter jet to the Midwest, and have zero complaints. What we really need is for ND to join the Big 10, then Stanford, UO, and Washington would complete the conference. Recruiting would nosedive in a hapless Pac/Big 12 conference. We have to let our players play in LA once a year. We have to get them to the Playoffs, even with a loss on our record.

In the short run, basically the 2023 recruiting class, it's not a problem. No one knows anything or how anything will shake out right now. 

As we have seen being in a weak conference isn't a barrier to making it to the playoff. 

Cincinnati made it last year, sure they were demolished when they played Bama but that's another story. Clemson has made it and won national championships and the ACC has been worse in the whole in terms of football than the PAC. 

Even in a diminished conference Oregon could make it to the playoff. There are only a couple of criteria.

1. Need to have a few decent out of conference games... Something that Oregon is already doing. See Ohio State and Georgia. 

2. And this is the most important one... Go undefeated. Pretty much the only consistent way to make the playoff is to go undefeated. 

• Applause 1

USC and UCLA are in for 2 more years.  If Oregon goes undefeated the next 2 years, they will be in the playoffs.  It is 2024, where it gets dicey.  However, Cincy did it, Pac 10 is better than AAC.

Worst case scenario, USC and UCLA will have a regional game or two 'OOC'. Oregon would be able to play them every 3-4 years.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, 1Funduck said:

Worst case scenario, USC and UCLA will have a regional game or two 'OOC'. Oregon would be able to play them every 3-4 years.

Considering how difficult the B1G already is, I don't see scheduling a tough Oregon team maybe once in 10 years. Maybe OSU, Colorado, AZ, Cal, but not a tough school.

And besides that, they would not want to help the Ducks recruit LA area.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, 1Funduck said:

And if the goal is for USC is to push Oregon out of their backyard I don't know why they'd want to invite Oregon in just to lose to the green and yellow terror from the north. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This whole new landscape has become increasingly a big turnoff to me.  After this USC-UCLA business - fixtures in my sporting world growing up - I'm no longer sure if I care. 

The estrangement for me began with hoops.  I was raised on the KKids, guys like Drummond and Ballard being on campus for the full four.  Nowadays, seeing 'students' enroll for 'one and dones' is a contradiction in terms. These five-stars never had any intention to come here and learn.  I earned my feathers with a diploma to prove it.  This is the system we've bought into.  Loyalty one's school is at the bottom of both players and coaches agendas in the new regime.  And after our two previous experiences I've grown tired of the schtick where coaches say they're committed to Eugene for life when everybody in this day and age knows that can't be true.  This transfer portal business is not just about players. 

Now, thanks to NIL, 17 year-olds with no life experience will dictate terms to coaches and recruiters.  The conference shakeup is, of course, all about greed. 

At the end of the day perhaps we're all better off admitting that major college sports has evolved or devolved into a semi-pro league and leave it at that.  We have all known that a caste system is driving college football, led by Alabama and very few other schools that is so entrenched that the majority of other Div 1 schools never have a chance to win a so-called national 'college' championship.  And we all know it. 

Perhaps those schools who are on the outside can create a students-only regime where you sign up at a school and gratefully accept your scholarship in exchange.  There is no shame in not being an Ohio State, an Alabama and so on, especially when the inside game is so obviously and perpetually skewed against your school's success. 

Maybe people would learn that they like actually cheering for players who represent their school, rather than their own self interest ad nauseum. 

I don't know but I do know what happened to Nebraska, TA&M, Penn State and numerous other schools. They have not won a title yet. Nebraska and Penn State were bluebloods until they moved to the B1G. A&M was a top school in the SWC. I'm sure there are many more examples but these are the best examples of the futility of moving for more money.

• Thumbs Up 1