Babyjesus615

Texas Names Quinn Ewers Starting QB

Steve Sarkisian has seen enough and is rolling the dice with the true freshman. Should Dan Lanning and Co. do the same here? Let the kid take his lumps but come out gun's blazing?

FYI.....I say YES

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0502%2Fr1007563_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Quinn Ewers, who transferred to Texas from Ohio State after having not attempted a pass last season, beat out Hudson Card to be the starting quarterback for the Longhorns in 2022.

He might be better... 

But he also cost Texas boosters some NIL cash to get him away from Ohio State. 

So is there any booster pressure here? 

Probably not... But in the age of NIL there questions will remain. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Should Dan Lanning and Co. do the same here? Let the kid take his lumps but come out gun's blazing?

FYI.....I say YES

I say absolutely not.

One: We saw a huge difference this spring between Nix and " the rookies".  

Two: Butterfield seems more suited to handle UGA, but neither he nor TT look PAC12 ready, much less facing the defending Natty king ready. 

I just don't think the "kids" look like the starting QBs around the country their age. And I mean the P5 group.  They're just not ready yet. 

Nix on the other hand, does.  Is he Bryce Young material? No.  But he has defeated an Alabama team that started a guy that leads the Patriots right now.  

Bo Nix is a cut above.  And he's proven it on the field already. Don't let Auburn fans or SEC fans fool you.  Nix is a very solid QB. 

Edited by Mike West
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 8/19/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mike West said:

Bo Nix is a cut above.  And he's proven it on the field already. Don't let Auburn fans or SEC fans fool you.  Nix is a very solid QB.

Bo Nix may prove that he's a cut above the rest but he has not done that yet. His low 60% avg. completion rate (against SEC defenses, I'll give you that) could increase in the PAC; but is his tendency to force plays that turn into dumb interceptions going to magically disappear? He's already demonstrated it in front of Oregon cameras (Spring Game) and then very likely again last week (see Bennet Williams INT).

So if the bar for our QBs is to throw as many, or less, picks as Bo does then we're giving them pretty substantial lee way. Bo Nix threw 7 INTs in his last full season, 6 before that. If we are going to assume he throws that same average this season, do you really want to just come out and call him a cut above?

Thompson is unproven talent. So is Quinn Ewers even with the 5*. Lanning/Dillingham brought Nix on as proven talent but that doesn't mean he's an upgrade. He beat Bama sure, but Oregon beat Ohio St. on the road, against possibly the #1 QB to be taken off the board this year. Would you roll with Anthony Brown THIS year if he had an extra year of eligibility? 

Nix is solid I'm sure. But we are hoping for more I think.

I believe it is easier in the little 12 to start a freshmen or an unproven QB. Why? Is there a defensive juggernaut in the 12? Whens the last time there was a 17-14 or 21-17 gane in the little 12. Its usually throttle wide open, last team with the ball wins. All gunslingers welcome.      

Real game time experience matters more for the Ducks this year. Utah, Cal, Stanford and Washington play darn good defense. BYU also. Georgia D is at the next level. Your starting QB better be ready on the first snap.

So, we are all hoping on a prayer we win against the Dawgs. Just being real. We have a shot but, no one would fault Oregon for losing by 10 or less. That's on our defense. 

Now, if you know we are limited in our ability to win this game, then why wouldn't you put the next Gen QB in and give him a vanilla playbook? Manage the game and you just might win it. The experience would/should transform that QB. If TT comes out with 60%+ completion and within 10 points? Well, now. But, he just might win it. 

Not playing Butters or TT this year is very dangerous. You will lose one. You won't lose Nix if he goes second string. 

Is it just me, or does it seem like Butters seems to be the intellect QB that can outsmart the opponent. Lanning keeps talking how competitive he is and how he smokes the competition in Duck Olympics. Yeah, I know it isn't football. However, Butter's name keeps popping up with the 'It' factor. I just got a feeling, nothing more.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:58 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Nix is solid I'm sure. But we are hoping for more I think.

We're hoping for elite.  As in Bryce Young and CJ Stroud elite. Butterfield and TT couldn't beat out AB or Nix.  Hence we aren't going to get that from them now, or possibly never.

I don't think TT or Butterfield would have led OBD to victory in Columbus.  I just don't.  I think Nix would have won by double digits.  

I'm probably wrong.  What I have seen of Nix is defenses create Havoc, and he presses.  It happened in the Spring Game. 

Outside of that, he shreds teams.  Especially mediocre teams.  I'm not sure TT or JB can do that yet.

In my opinion, Nix hits the passes AB misses in both Utah games and we have a better shot of winning both.  Not to mention I think AB would have had a  more open offense with Dillingham (much like the Ohio State game).  

Again, I'm probably wrong.  But we're going to find out because TT and JB are not Stroud or Young.  Nix is closer to both, and now he gets a unit he can use(and like Brown, he is much better throwing while moving by design instead of under duress - like our Heisman man Mariota).

If I'm Dillingham and Lanning, I play to those strengths.  Hopefully we see massive improvement from "the rookies".  I just don't see an upgrade from them that lends me to believe they're worth the risk.  

One last thing.  Auburn never really opened their offense up while Nix was there.  In my opinion, ALWAYS attack SEC DBs.  I think they're average, and their respective front seven groups mask that.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, Mike West said:

I don't think TT or Butterfield would have led OBD to victory in Columbus.  I just don't.  I think Nix would have won by double digits.  

I'm probably wrong.  What I have seen of Nix is defenses create Havoc, and he presses.  It happened in the Spring Game. 

Outside of that, he shreds teams.  Especially mediocre teams.  I'm not sure TT or JB can do that yet.

In my opinion, Nix hits the passes AB misses in both Utah games and we have a better shot of winning both.  Not to mention I think AB would have had a  more open offense with Dillingham (much like the Ohio State game).  

First off... I'm not sure Cristobal would have let Nix beat Ohio State by double digits. Cristobal's philosophy was do just barely enough to win, especially last year. 

Even with Herbert the second half of games always seemed like blindingly running the ball to burn clock which always seemed to leave the door open just a crack for the opposing team to get a come back. But I digress there. 

I do feel like Nix has much better vision than Brown had last year. Brown seemed blind to the middle section of the field and just didn't see recievers running open on thsoe routes. 

I also feel like under Cristobal Thompson and Butterfield were never given the opportunity to truly compete for thr starting job. 

Brown was given the starting job in spring and given all first team reps from that point on almost exclusively. 

However, Nix has managed to beat out Thompson and Butterfield to date which is both a testiment to Nix's skill and a glaring deficit in those of Thompson and Butterfield. So in that I agree with you. 

We're hoping for elite.  As in Bryce Young and CJ Stroud elite. Butterfield and TT couldn't beat out AB or Nix.  Hence we aren't going to get that from them now, or possibly never.

Again, I'm probably wrong.  But we're going to find out because TT and JB are not Stroud or Young.  Nix is closer to both, and now he gets a unit he can use(and like Brown, he is much better throwing while moving by design instead of under duress - like our Heisman man Mariota).

If I'm Dillingham and Lanning, I play to those strengths.  Hopefully we see massive improvement from "the rookies".  I just don't see an upgrade from them that lends me to believe they're worth the risk.  

One last thing.  Auburn never really opened their offense up while Nix was there.  In my opinion, ALWAYS attack SEC DBs.  I think they're average, and their respective front seven groups mask that.  

Nix has never put-up stats as good as true Frosh QBs Trevor Lawrence, Jake Fromm or Jalen Hurts did in year one. Bo has three years worse than them by miles still.

He was 100 miles off CJ and Bryce last year with his low 7 yards per pass and 130 passer rating. Both Bryce and CJ had more TD's last year than Bo has in three years.

Bryce was just at 9 per pass with a 167.5 pass rating- 47TD's 

CJ was over 10 per pass with a 186 pass rating and 44 TD's

You know who Bo was better than last year? Jeff Lockie in 2015 with his 119 pass rating.

We need to keep it in perspective.. if Nix gets on CJ or Bryce's level it will be some Joe Burrow stuff.

Edited by DazeNconfused

Outside of that, he [Nix] shreds teams.  Especially mediocre teams. 

It is because of this that I trust that TT and Butters will get plenty of snaps this year, whether or not they get snaps in the first game. Give TT and Butters at least a quarter each in game 2.

We can speculate, analyze, pick apart which QB does what, but the bottom line is the coaches watch these players every day, test them, evaluate them, put them under pressure.  They know who can do what, who can handle pressure, what's the potential of each of them.  We as fans can speculate all we want, but the bottom line is  the coaches know what these young men are capable, who fits best where, and all we as fans can do is hope they are as good at their job as we hope they are. 

I've decided, inspite of my opinions, that I'm a terrible armchair QB and coach, and I'm going to  rely on the high power coaches we've hired to get the best players on the field and develop the others as best they can for the future of the program.

As an armchair QB and coach, I see Nix as our best hope at present, and Butterfield as a really good alternative if needed.  Thompson still looks to me like a deer in  the headlights, inspite of my desire to see him succeed.  We'll just have to see how the season unwinds.

From the Canzano mailbag

Q: How is Oregon QB Bo Nix looking? — @ShawnVoican

A: Mature, calm, and improved over his time at Auburn. Those are the things that people come away talking about when they see Bo Nix or spend time with him. Oregon’s quarterback got married in July, worked extensively with a private QB coach in the offseason, and appears motivated to change the narrative of his college career