Haywarduck

Can Dan Lanning Fail?

I have to ask this because I am not sure he has taken a step yet that hasn't been embraced, or at least garnered accepting curiosity. Even bringing in, yet again, another qb transfer has been looked upon as a brilliant move.

We may want to know who is going start, but we feel encouraged we again have a coach who can develop the most important position. He certainly can recruit the position, bringing in the most highly rated qb as a commitment. So even if there is some failure at qb this year, all will be forgiven, and the future is bright.

Surprisingly he brought in dawg coaches and a player and it was looked upon as brilliant. I mean Brooks was a beaver, but dawgs on our sidelines! Again Lanning's moves were looked upon as solid and courageous, bringing dawgs into the fold, really. Wow this guy has a way with us Duck fans.

I do think he is much like Helfrich, looked up as one of us now. It will take a complete melt-down, another Alamo moment to change how we look at Mr. Lanning. I think Dan Lanning can fail next Saturday, and a few more times, and he will still be our coach, he just has us by our heart and souls at this point.

• Go Ducks! 1

Hell yes, pull a Chip . . . lose the first one and then go 46 - 7.  

But, also climb that mountain and get us Mr. Harris' "Natty"

• Thumbs Up 2

I would consider a timeout before the first play from scrimmage in Atlanta a failure. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 4

Can he fail?  Sure, but the probabilities are quite low, IMHO.  I have gathering a ton of information about the Georgia defense for upcoming analysis articles, and a national podcast for coaches interviewed him that went deep into Xs and Os.  The fellow had known Lanning and interviewed him while at Georgia, and does such interviews nationally.

He went on-and-on about how this is the best staff he has ever seen a new coach assemble.  Thus while Chip Kelly has a so-so staff at UCLA, Lanning has created something special--thus why I am convinced of long term success.

Well, that and he is even more cerebral than Helfrich, yet has the outgoing personality like Taggart/Cristobal for recruiting that is needed.  He seems to have it all....

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dan Lanning is the aspirin kicking in after a very long headache. Sweet relief is bliss.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I am beginning to see articles on this forum that get me a weeee bit nervous.  Those that most fit this profile are whether Lanning will leave the Ducks in the lurch when X coaching position opens up. 

But ‘can Lanning fail’ will work as well.  

As someone in recovery, you learn to literally take it one day at a time.   I know that sounds corny but it’s very true. 

Now, I in now way mean to trivialize either my or any other person’s addiction by comparing it to the zeal of a Ducks sports forum.  But the mantra is apt. 

Lanning can fail.  And he can succeed beyond our wildest dreams.  Or be mediocre.  Or….  You get the point.  

Enjoy the present and don’t worry about the future.  Trust me, life is far far more enjoyable that way (especially in sports where either catastrophizing or living delusions of grandeur are a fan base’s genetic make up 🙂 )

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sure, he can fail.

Any endeavor, no matter how painstakingly thorough the preparation, can end in failure. 

That being said, at this moment I don’t think we could have expected any more than what we’ve seen from DL, and all indicators are pointing in a very positive direction.

I’m cautiously optimistic that the Ducks will be a force under DL’s supervision.

Let’s be the smart fanbase (confident we will be) that doesn’t rush to judgment after a few games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jester wrote: "Let’s be the smart fanbase (confident we will be) that doesn’t rush to judgment after a few games."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I came to a judgment of the Mario Cristobal offense after just his first three games into his four year stint.

And, as everyone knows-it was quite accurate.

We need to refrain from telling other fans how to think or react…as they just might be right.

(And we want to encourage all opinions in this forum to be expressed)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Actually I came to a judgment of the Mario Cristobal offense after just his first three games

You've developed a very strong football acumen, Charles.  

I'm embarrassed to say that I hung in there until the conclusion of week 9.  

**I'm not sure what's more impressive...than Charles only needed three games to realize our "O" was stuck in neutral.  **  

• Thumbs Up 1

Can he fail? Sure. But you have to describe what 'failure' is.

Failure, for me, is if a coach can't significantly perform an array of talents from recruiting to actual coaching to communication, player/team development along with having vision, insight into people and the game, and a good degree of humility. So far, I think Lanning scores well on all those points. Helfrich, Taggart and Cristobal, not so much.

What if we lose game one? So what? What if we lose a lot of games (not likely) ? We look for adjustments and improvements in coaching and in players play.

I think fans need to take a long term approach and enjoy the football ride as it happens. What surprises may come! Can't wait until next Saturday!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Failure to me are scandals and not having players play to their abilities. Mari-no-O wasn’t a failure but he was wearing out his welcome. We’ll see with Lanning especially when he has his first major disciplinary issue but I’m optimistic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

At Alabama failure is not winning the Natty. I don't know, perhaps one of the Georgia fans posting here can say if not repeating as Champs will be viewed as failure by the Georgia faithful? So far Lanning and staff haven't missed a beat, it's impossible that they won't trip up somewhere. But that won't signal, Fail!

He has a lot of pressure on his shoulders now. Head coach of a dominant brand in college football. Expectations are through the roof. He hasn't raised his arms to bring them down, nor has he promised to run the table. He's handled everything like he's been there before, even if he hasn't.

After the game he's going to look just right in that big chair the Oregon coach sits in and I expect he'll handle every question, spreading praise all around, taking all the blame. I'm so happy that he's our coach!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Failure is having a team you can no longer root for. I’d say Mario’s teams that barely won on the scoreboard but felt like loses to the eyes were a failure. 

Conversely the Brooks teams that gave it their all, you could root for know matter the outcome. 

Just putting a team on the field that competes week in week out is a success to me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:51 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Failure is having a team you can no longer root for. I’d say Mario’s teams that barely won on the scoreboard but felt like loses to the eyes were a failure. 

Conversely the Brooks teams that gave it their all, you could root for know matter the outcome. 

Just putting a team on the field that competes week in week out is a success to me.

Great comparison, Brooks wasn't a Duck, actually a Beaver, but he became a Duck and we stuck with the guy. We even named our field after the guy and he had a losing record along with leaving the team for the NFL. We embraced his personality, and identified with his integrity.

I feel the same with Lanning, his disposition, and persona fits into the mold we appreciate at Oregon. He also is showing an incredible ability to manage student athletes and recruit. Like Brooks he is a defense guy, but he seems to know a good offense through his defensive knowledge.

I can't see Lanning pulling a Helfrich, but that is about the only thing I could see turning the fanbase on him. He is all Oregon at this point, and we haven't even played a game.

I do wonder if he can match or better Helfrich's 3 year record. It would be even more amazing to see him better CK's 3 or 4 year record. I wonder if that will be what it takes to make him one of the greatest at the 3 year mark?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it 'ok' to label Lanning a first year success if he goes to the playoff, followed by signing a LO0oooooong term extension this post season?

• Thumbs Up 1