DuckIt

Is Josh Conerly Jr. Ready and Should He Start?

A part of me says that our OL has been getting the job done in the trenches, so let Conerly gradually grow into his role and familiarize himself with the playbook first. The other side of me however, sees the upside of having him on the field now which will only make the Ducks that much tougher, both running and passing the ball.

It's hard not to recognize his physical dominance and sheer athleticism.  He's one of those players that leaps off the TV screen at you and really stands out among our OL.  He reminds me a lot of Penei Sewell, maybe even a tad more explosive. 

For three games now, we've watched him be the difference maker on crucial downs, paving the way for the "Big Boy Package."  Many of us, myself included, said during the preseason that he should pack on more weight first.  Undersized or not, he has been tossing guys aside and getting down field and blocking.  Any team playing the Ducks, should always be aware of #76 on the field.

Here's a screen shot of him driving back and caving that left side of WSU's DL which allowed James a bit of daylight, to punch it into the end zone:

Conerly.thumb.jpg.16a6b4b5e00db02233c31950437b35b5.jpg

With a player that talented you probably only have him for 3 years. You, at least, want to have him ready to play at a high level for two of them. Get him on the field as much as possible.

We will also need leadership on the young Oline we will have next year. I have faith Lanning and Dilly have it figured out.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it's not broke, then don't fix it applies here. The Ducks OL is doing great as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

If it's not broke, then don't fix it applies here. The Ducks OL is doing great as it is.

But if it part of it brakes you need someone ready to fix it, right? Or if the NFL steals your whole O-line next year, are you ready?

They could also use Conerly and James as decoys.  Get them to think we are running the ball, then pass it.

Any one remember the 85' Bears and William Perry? Next time we are 1st and goal at the 3, i formation, Herbert in at fullback.

Touchdown Oregon!

On 9/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

With a player that talented you probably only have him for 3 years. You, at least, want to have him ready to play at a high level for two of them. Get him on the field as much as possible.

We will also need leadership on the young Oline we will have next year. I have faith Lanning and Dilly have it figured out.

Next years OL is getting playing time late in games From left to right.

Conerly - Harper or Luli- JPJ - Bram Walden or Luli - Jarmillo

Harper is the only 3-star

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 9/28/2022 at 8:48 PM, Log Haulin said:

Any one remember the 85' Bears and William Perry? Next time we are 1st and goal at the 3, i formation, Herbert in at fullback.

Touchdown Oregon!

I would like to see Faaope Laloulu come into the backfield. He used to play basketball and volleyball in HS, so he’s pretty athletic. He may also have good hands, so he might me a decent receiving option as a tackle eligible. If you though Stanfurd’s big TE’s were hard to cover, well….

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 9/28/2022 at 4:36 PM, DuckIt said:

A part of me says that our OL has been getting the job done in the trenches, so let Conerly gradually grow into his role and familiarize himself with the playbook first. The other side of me however, sees the upside of having him on the field now which will only make the Ducks that much tougher, both running and passing the ball.

I agree with you on this because no team in the FBS can ever have too many good, experienced and healthy O- Linemen.  This is such a critical part of any winning football team and no other position I know of is more susceptible to serious injuries than down linemen.

Also, I would disagree with you on the first 1/2 of the first sentence above.  Something wasn't working down in the red zone.  How much of that was the play calling or the fact that in a shortened field, the O-line was just not as dominate or effective as it needed to be on multiple successive drives is still being debated.

If the coaches think Conerly can contribute and bring a spark then - hey ho!  Let 'er buck!  Rotating linemen in and out to keep them fresh and healthy is the best luxury any team can have (outside of a stable of 5* QB's & RB's).

On 9/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Harper has been excellent filling in

He's now a starter 

On 9/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Next years OL is getting playing time late in games From left to right.

Conerly - Harper or Luli- JPJ - Bram Walden or Luli - Jarmillo

And possibly throw in any transfers... It seems like the coaches are saving some scholarships to go offensive lineman shopping once the transfer window opens. 

Makes sense since we haven't managed to land any OL talent yet and all the recruiting reporters are saying this year is thin on OL talent. A few project guys are good but can't afford too many of them at this point. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:40 PM, David Marsh said:

And possibly throw in any transfers... It seems like the coaches are saving some scholarships to go offensive lineman shopping once the transfer window opens. 

Makes sense since we haven't managed to land any OL talent yet and all the recruiting reporters are saying this year is thin on OL talent. A few project guys are good but can't afford too many of them at this point. 

These are my thoughts as well. 

On 9/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Especially considering the TJ Bass is awesome and has not yet allowed a sack from the dangerous blind-side.  I agree with playing Connerly extensively as they are doing on defense and continue the "Big-Boy" package.

Later on?  We may need Conerly's feet on the right side for key pass protection downs.  So, I am not ready to start him, but playing extensively...absolutely.

Mr. FishDuck

Sala and Bassa are playing really well right now. Unless we're blowing someone out, doesn't really make sense to rotate him in. Conerly isn't quite at their level physically or technique-wise but is getting closer from what I've heard. Last I heard is that he was around 310-315lbs.

100% on keeping him engaged. That is totally the right play vs. how MC utilized Kingsley. I'd guess he'll see PT against Stanford, Colorado, AZ and possibly UCLA. to get him ready for 23'.

We keep Jones for next season,  and Ope keeps improving, we should be set on the OL with Conerly, Harper, JPJ, Jones, Jaremillo with Ope popping in at RT and Iuli rotating at G positions. We need 1 or 2 more to step up but should foster a solid OL next season.