Pennsylvania Duck

Ducks vs Arizona: Game-Prep Article Thread

All the articles you need to prepare for the game will be in this thread through the week.

How handy!

And thanks to Pennsylvania Duck for making it happen! (Charles)

The Ducks have a spotted history against Arizona, and some of the best Oregon seasons have fallen

in the desert, but on paper, it appears that this is a very winnable game for the Ducks.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are giving more than double-digits to the Arizona Wildcats for next week’s game in Tuscon.

Scooby isn't playing at Arizona anymore, -11.5 seems like a reasonable starting point spread for a Monday. 

The only thing Lanning has to prove going forward is he doesn't let the team have a let down game get away. He then has to keep winning on the road, and keep  getting the team up for the big games.

The Arizona game is historically a game where Oregon could let down, and it will be interesting to see how Lanning has his players ready to play. I look for Nix to provide the senior leadership needed to stay focused on a road game where we are expected to win. 

I see Nix giving us a win by 30.

• Thumbs Up 2

Arizona concerns me and not just b/c of our checkered history down in the desert...They're spinning it down there and Cowing and T-Mac (whom I wish we could have kept) are playing phenomenal phootball!  

While I feel Gonzo will do his part to limit Cowing, I don't know that Bridges or the Jhalil's will be able to hold down T-Mac. They all lose the height contest to him and his ability to leap/contort to the football is going to be a real problem.

That leaves DeLaura...and our NEED to rattle him on every snap.  Dorlus looked the part this past weekend, and DJ should provide some help as well, but we have to get after the QB in 'Zona otherwise we may suffer another long evening there in a shootout I'd rather not be in.  

Crazy things happen in the Arizona desert at night and we need to put this away as early as possible. Grind it out on the ground, score touchdowns in the red-zone and keep their offense off the field...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

"The Ducks have a spotted history against Arizona, and some of the best Oregon seasons have fallen

in the desert..."

We've only played the Cats in Tucson twice over the last 9 years. Both times, we played a very inferior Arizona team -- and lost.

As a very unpleasant reminder, in 2013, we arrived with a 9-1 record, favored to win by I believe at least 20 points, and UA proceeded to severely dismantled us 58-21. It was one of the most miserable Duck games I have sat through.

Obviously, on paper, we should handle the Wildcats with ease this Saturday. But when you have a team that has shown themselves to be rather undisciplined, and cocky, the door is wide open for anything to happen.

Still, I think Lanning will deal with much of the undisciplined behavior this week and I'm confident that we will take care of business this Saturday. Looking forward to watching the game in Tucson this week

Edited by Desert Duck
Corrected at stat
  • Like 1

Hello,

I'll try and keep this short, Zona's offense is stocked full of athletes who make big plays all game long, the problem is, the defense is so BAD that the offense is pressured to deliver every drive and they tend to make bonehead decisions leading to trouble, if you watched any of the Colorado game I'm sure you saw the 2 worst defenses in the pac by a mile, love my cats but the ducks will have their way with the defense all game, in the end it won't be close

• Thanks 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nick Aliotti on PAC-12 After Dark:

1. Oregon has had difficult games in Tucson (understatement of the year)

2. If they start slow with penalties and drops like against Stanford, they could be challenged.

3. If deLaura has a Cam Ward game and #2 happens, all bets are off.

My thoughts:

1. I am less worried about penalties and discipline, but still worried, because we have a scoring offense again.

2. I am less worried about penalties and discipline, but still worried, because in addition to coaches who like scoring, we have coaches who can scheme, adjust and motivate properly.

3. Thankfully, our coaches highlighted transfers who make an impact.  Without the DL, RB, and QB transfers, we would be toast.

4. Related to #3, if we lose Nix to injury.....fuhgeddaboutit.....so Bo, slide please. Freakin dude plays like an LB.

5. My gut tells me that the amount of plays in a Duck uniform that Justin Flowe ever has will be very limited. Some guys have injury bugs while other guys never get a scratch.   Bassa is excellent, but LB health is now an official concern for me. Hope to H, E, double hockey sticks, I'm wrong.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Bassa is excellent

We are doing just fine without Flowe because of Bassa, who could end being an acclaimed star on his own.  Keith Brown is playing well too, and we have some young-guns on the move upward.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Time to get to know some of the Arizona players who will impact the game.

This article will feature 5.

Know the Foe: Five Arizona players to know

From the FishDuck Feed...

247SPORTS.COM

Know the Foe: Five Arizona players to know

Oregon isn't getting beat over the top. DeLaura will get pummeled by Oregons pass rush. Gonzo and Bennett are playing great ball right now too.

Az won't be able to run on Oregon either. Quick slants and screens will most likely be the game plan for Az. It's what has shown to be the bugaboo for Oregon.

Oregon is tackling well right now. Especially Gonzo and Bennett. Bennett puts his hat on the ball and drives guys into the dirt. I think he is the best tackler on the team.

Maybe Lanning should rush three with some 1 and 2 man blitz packages thrown in. Stay in cover 2 with an extra defender second level to defend the short quick pass.

I think we are going to see a turning point for this Duck squad. I think they come into this game focused after the last two outing v. WSU and Tree.

Az defense is garbage. Especially run defense. Noah and Bucky are going to put up career numbers. Chunk after chunk all game long.

I am looking for a statment game from Ducks on the road. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As a fan who knows nothing, except what I learn here, I would love to see Bassa at Safety with Sewell and Flowe at ILB's.   

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

As a fan who knows nothing, except what I learn here, I would love to see Bassa at Safety with Sewell and Flowe at ILB's.   

We might, but that’s not the profile at Georgia. They did not have anybody as big as Sewell at linebacker at Georgia, they were lighter, faster and athletic.

One of the touchdowns by Stanford in the second half was the running back beating Sewell on a wheel pattern out of the backfield. He was slow to recognize it, and could not stay up.

Not a problem for Bassa…

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Here's looking at Duck games with the Wildcats through the years.

This should bring back some memories, good and bad.

Note the home record is 16-6, the away record is 11-11

From the FishDuck Feed...

GODUCKS.COM

The official University of Oregon Ducks Football History vs University of Arizona

• Thanks 1

I think you can find a Duck face-plant against every road team in the Pac at some time or another (and vice versa).

Last year the Pac 12 Network did an exposé on every team's biggest games and upsets.  I think 6 or 7 teams chose an Oregon game in which they upset the Ducks.

So, on the road intrepidation is in our DNA. 

Hopefully it is time to get over it, just like that "laugher" in Pullman 2 weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:01 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Here's looking at Duck games with the Wildcats through the years.

This should bring back some memories, good and bad.

Note the home record is 16-6, the away record is 11-11

image.png.ff2abd60a8d96ca285130fa598ee3e6b.png

• Like 1

Upward-trending Arizona attempts to shoot down 12th-ranked Ducks

The Wildcats (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) have remade themselves into having one of the hottest passing games in the conference,

led by Washington State transfer Jayden de Laura and a trio of playmaking receivers. 

“He throws lasers,” Oregon coach Dan Lanning. “He throws the ball on rhythm on a dart and he doesn’t need a big window to be able to attack.

He’s able to extend play with his feet. This is a really good challenge for us. There haven’t been a lot of teams that have really slowed them down offensively."

From the FishDuck Feed:

SPORTSNAUT.COM

No. 12 Oregon will be going for its fifth consecutive win Saturday in Tucson, Ariz., but the Ducks have reason to be wary of an Arizona team that went 1-11

Arizona used some trick plays in the victory over Colorado.

Should the Ducks be expecting to see some on Saturday?

Behind the tricks that turned into treats in Arizona football’s victory over Colorado

From the FishDuck Feed...

WWW.AZCENTRAL.COM

Behind the scenes of the key trick plays the Arizona Wildcats football team utilized in their 43-20 win against the Colorado Buffaloes.

See what Bo Nix has to say about playing at Arizona this Saturday.

Nix on Arizona defense: 'They're going to present some challenges'

247SPORTS.COM

Behind Kenny Dillingham's playcalling and Bo Nix's performance at quarterback, Oregon's offense has put together three straight games with over 500 yards of total offense.

This article is from an Arizona writer. I think it is a true assessment of where the Wildcats are at today.

Their passing offense is great but their defense needs some work.

Jedd Fisch’s team has an offense as dangerous as any and it is paired with a defense that, well, is not.

The Arizona Wildcats may have reached their ceiling Saturday night.

Is that the best Arizona’s got? Maybe, and that’s alright

WWW.AZDESERTSWARM.COM

The Arizona Wildcats may have reached their ceiling Saturday night. The UA looked good in a 43-20 win over Colorado, a night that included a program record-tying six touchdown passes from...

On 10/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

I see Nix giving us a win by 30.

By 30!  wow.

I'm not sure we'll win by 30 as noted above. I wonder if some of us are not giving the Arizona offense enough credit.

Arizona may not look like the strongest team on paper, sitting at 3-2 overall and 1-1 in Pac-12 play.

But make no mistake, this game isn't setting up to be a cakewalk. In their last three games the Wildcats

have put up at least 30 points, including 43 against Colorado last week.

Arizona's offensive strength is our defensive weakness...

WWW.SI.COM

Hot off the heels of Stanford, Oregon now preps for showdown with Arizona in Tucson

300 yards of rushing and winning TOP would go a long way towards the W

Christian Gonzalez looks forward to the challenges presented by Arizona's wide receivers

Arizona will be sure to test Gonzalez and other members of Oregon's secondary, as Jayden de Laura attempts over 40 passes per game,

completing around 62-percent of them. Arizona will also test Oregon's perimeter tackling, which the Ducks have been preparing for.

247SPORTS.COM

On Saturday, Oregon's defense will take the field against the top-two pass catchers in the Pac-12.  Arizona's Jacob Cowing and Dorian Singer have combined for over

While I'd luv to see a 30 point win, I think that unlikely.  Highly unlikely.  If I'm a Wildcat this alone would fire me up to play my heart out.  A 10 point win will be nice.  With a 70 pt O/U the gaming houses are expecting a shootout with Oregon -13.  We'll see.

Edited by Mic

Updated injury news for Oregon Ducks ahead of game at Arizona

We seem so much better on the injury front this year than past years.

Is it that "physicality" play that MC employs?

The Ducks look pretty healthy going into Arizona game.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

An updated look at the Oregon Ducks’ injury news ahead of the Arizona game on Saturday night in the desert.

Pack 'em in: Arizona has sold more than 50K seats for Saturday's game vs. Oregon

A Saturday sellout would be Arizona's first since its primetime loss to UCLA in 2015, the most recent time the UA hosted ESPN’s "College GameDay."

It’s also the first time Arizona Stadium has sold more than 50,000 tickets for a football game since Arizona’s Territorial Cup loss to Arizona State in 2018.

Ducks better get ready for a wild atmosphere in Tuscon. Use URL below to reach article.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/football/pack-em-in-arizona-has-sold-more-than-50k-seats-for-saturdays-game-vs-oregon/article_2b12e1c6-4225-11ed-9938-37f27a421ea3.html

10 Ducks who must play well for Oregon to beat Arizona

In 2018, the last time the Ducks played in Tucson, the Ducks were ranked No. 19 and lost 44-15 to a terrible Arizona team.

In 2013 and ranked No. 5 in the country the Ducks were blown out 42-16.

In 2009 the Ducks were ranked No. 11 and they stormed back to beat Arizona 44-41. 

In 2007 the Ducks were No. 2 in the country and lost 34-24 when start QB Dennis Dixon saw his knee give out.

Nothing is guaranteed in Tuscon as the series history there is tied at 11-11.

I hope our DB's respect these receivers, and work to contain more than make plays on the ball. 

I still remember a seemingly average receiver from ASU who our DB's didn't provide enough respect too. Brandon Aiyuk torched us, when he got behind our DB's who didn't respect his abilities. 

Gonzalez seems to have next level talent, but so do these receivers. Containment should be the mantra, and look for opportunities to make plays, but don't overplay the ball. 

The trick plays may be the difference too. Oregon needs to take care of their responsibilities and no hero ball.

• Like 1

Oregon vs. Arizona: 'Tale of the Tape for Ducks' road trip to the desert

Yes, the Ducks haven't had the best history in the desert. Fortunately, new head coach Dan Lanning and many of the players

on this team haven’t experienced any of these negative memories from the desert. They are trying to start a new history.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are favored by double-digits in this road game against Arizona, but should they be? Let’s see what the numbers say.

One defender the ducks must be aware of is Hunter Echols, a USC transfer.

In five games with the Wildcats, Echols has 27 tackles with 6.5 for loss,

including 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and two pass breakups.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Arizona (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) has created ways to free up Echols, an edge rushing outside linebacker, usually on the right side of the defense and left side of the offensive line.

5 questions for Oregon to answer in potential trap-game vs. Arizona

1. 1. Can Ducks do away with trap games?
  2. 2. How injured are Justin Flowe and Byron Cardwell?
  3. 3. Can the defense hold momentum?
  4. 4. Can Bo Nix get deep ball back?
  5. 5. Will the discipline be there?
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

What’s the status of Justin Flowe or Byron Cardwell? Will Oregon’s sloppy play get better? 5 questions for Oregon to answer on Saturday.

Below you will find predictions for this game from analysts who cover the Ducks.

No one appears to be predicting a big blow out. In fact, I find some predictions too

close for comfort! 

247SPORTS.COM

For the first time since the 2018 season, the Oregon Ducks will square off with a ranked foe from inside Autzen Stadium. No. 12 BYU comes to town and faces off against No.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

questions for Oregon to answer in potential trap-game vs. Arizona

2. How injured are Justin Flowe and Byron Cardwell?

5. Will the discipline be there?

I'd like to respond to these two:

2. Flowe's return would be the most welcome, of course.  O's defense needs him.  Cardwell, not so important.  Good as he is, Oregon is DEEP at RB.

5. The discipline had better be there because this is a road game to a sold-out stadium.  Can Lanning turns things around that fast?  I doubt it but I hope so.  Could be crucial.

GO OREGON!

5 THINGS TO WATCH: ARIZONA

One major advice from Rob Moseley at Goducks is to POUND THE BALL on the ground.

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks will face the Wildcats in Arizona Stadium on Saturday (6 p.m., Pac-12 Network).

Did you get a chance to watch College Game Day this morning?

If not, you missed what Kirk Herbstreit said about the Arizona game tonight.

Kirk Herbstreit picks against Oregon in late-night road matchup with Arizona

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit explains why he likes Arizona as a 13-point underdog against Oregon.