FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Trap Game in the Desert?

Trap game?  What do you think?  What must Oregon do to win?  Much to discuss and ponder for tomorrow's game.  

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program is coming off a handful of convincing wins over the past few weeks. Since Stanford always is a tough out...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I don't think this is a trap game. Every game Oregon played has revealed issues that this staff has went to work on the following week and seemingly resolved. 

Week to week Oregon has shown tremendous growth. They are becoming a more complete team. This staff has done an excellent job coaching this team up and getting 1% benchmark daily.

Az has 4 legitimate receivers. They are going to be a challenge. I think this Oregon pass D takes a huge jump this week and minimizes the damage. 2 picks?

Oregon's offense is playing perhaps the best football I have ever seen them play. The balanced threat to opposing defenses is of the charts.

The O line speaks for itself. Nix is playing at a level nobody expected. Bucky and Whittingham are seemingly unstoppable without even considering Nix as a ball carrier. Thornton, Cota, Hutson and Ferguson are serious pass threats.

Desert or not, Oregon is becoming a great team, not there yet but close. With all the love being thrown at Utah and USC, Oregon in my green and yellow painted opinion, are the best team in the Pac.

At the rate Oregon is accelerating its level of play, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ducks are on the bubble of final four in front of the Utes game. Gotta take care of Az first though. 

This team has been battle tested. They have shown grit. Ducks are getting better each week. So far we have seen the makings of a great season.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If we lose to the worst team in football tomorrow I’m finished as a Duck.

I will throw out all my green and yellow items and become a beaver fan.    

Baseball is my second favorite sport.  Beaver baseball will be my new number 1 passion. 

• Oh no! 2
  • Yikes! 2

On 10/7/2022 at 5:50 AM, debbieduck said:

Baseball is my second favorite sport.  Beaver baseball will be my new number 1 passion. 

Oh, Debbie...say it isn't so!

• Like 1

I think the challenge goes to the Oregon receivers, and Nix. A middling team like Arizona has a better passing game than Oregon. What say you Oregon,   step up!

Arizona is a top 10 passing attack, in the Nation! Oregon is just behind Miami, yes that Miami, in passing this season. The challenge is stepping up our passing game. Behind Miami, really, yep!

The other challenge is on our pass rush. If we are going to challenge the Utah's, sc's, and the dawgs (top 3 passing team) we have to establish stronger pressure on the qb. Time to see some exotic stunts on blitz's.

We have the talent to be a top passing team, and create havoc in the backfield. The time is tomorrow night 6 PM, be there Ducks!

At the CFB level there isn't a team in the country that doesn't have talented players, decent coaches and rabid fans.  Over the years of watching collegiate football I've learned that many games do not end up the way they look like they should on paper.  There's this funny thing called 'match-ups' where individual matchups of key players (offensive and defensive) have profound impacts on the outcome of every game.

ie: Team A can beat the snot out of Team B who had beaten Team C.  On paper one might think that Team A should expect to have no problem with Team C as well.  Then the two teams meet and .... voila! Team C beats Team A.  What happened?  Team C 'matched-up' better against the strengths of Team A then they were able to against Team B.  And so on.

Whew.  What all this means is that different teams present different problems to each other.  There is no reason to think Arizona couldn't 'match-up' better against Oregon than they did against an opponent who beat them previously, and vice versa.  And, key players come in and out of the lineups due to injuries, etc.  

Every team in the Pac-12 should be considered dangerous to any other.  Especially on their home field. History has confirmed this many times.  A loss to Arizona in Tucson should be considered a real possibility nor should it be reason to dump one's favorite team.  

Arizona has a very good (and dangerous) QB in Jake DeLorean who can throw bombs.  They have one of the best cover backs in the league coming back from injury.  They will be playing Oregon in the desert, in front of their fans, late in the evening under lights.  A loss to Arizona, who is getting better game by game is certainly a possibility.  A Duck win here would be a very good indication, imo, of Oregon's chances in the post season.

A loss here would certainly not be out of the question and if it happens, a credit to a talented Arizona team and their coaches.   GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alex, thanks for the article. While i dont feel its a trap game, I agree on all your key points necessary for a Duck victory. 

IMHO, the Ducks are improving every week. The defense held Furd to 3 first half points and was in solid control until Coach Lanning gave the 2nd and 3rd units more valuable playing time. Back ups get playing time either from injuries or mop up time. D starters are improving and i want to give them their due. Now they need to take it to the next level and Zona will provide a good challenge.

Zona will not stop the Ducks O. Only the Ducks can stop the Ducks. Stop the lack of focus penalties, stop the immature angry penalties and just execute the offense. There is no reason the Ducks shouldnt score 8 or 9 touchdowns in this game...

Every game at every level is a challenge. This game will be no different. Zona has a new attitude with a top level HC and a gun slinger for a QB. They will be ready to play. But the bigger question is how will the Wildcats stop the Ducks?

Go Ducks......

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

California stomped them.  Enough said.  I’m being grumpy I guess. 

We have out recruited every team in the pac for several years now.  We have 5 stars sitting on the bench!!!!

And yet we still have to worry about an Arizona team that should have lost to ND state! 

And gave up 50 to California. 

And then I Watched Missouri physically knock the stuffing out of Georgia! 

And I still see people saying… just wait 3 more years!   So we need to have the best recruiting class for a decade in the PAC to ge good? 

And I am frustrated at the taunting and celebrating I see on the field.  Kirby smart is why that never happened at Georgia apparently? 

Edited by debbieduck

On 10/7/2022 at 7:21 AM, debbieduck said:

And I am frustrated at the taunting and celebrating I see on the field.  Kirby smart is why that never happened at Georgia apparently? 

I know hardly a Duck fan who does like the taunting and celebrating that goes on by this team - but it's been a part of Oregon for a very long time, even before Lanning showed up.  We were hoping Coach Lanning would rein that in but it's been the one area of disappoint for some of us - the only one, so far.

This attitude that fosters the taunting is starting to bleed over into penalties and DL needs to get a firm grip on it soon before it costs Oregon a win they should have had, which it will eventually.  

So, you're not alone in this, Debbie.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, Mic said:

I know hardly a Duck fan who does like the taunting and celebrating that goes on by this team - but it's been a part of Oregon for a very long time, even before Lanning showed up.  We were hoping Coach Lanning would rein that in but it's been the one area of disappoint for some of us - the only one, so far.

This attitude that fosters the taunting is starting to bleed over into penalties and DL needs to get a firm grip on it soon before it costs Oregon a win they should have had, which it will eventually.  

So, you're not alone in this, Debbie.

I should have vented to my dog, not in here.
Go Ducks  

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:16 AM, debbieduck said:

Go Ducks  

The beauty of a dog is they will always love you no matter how tough things get. We may not love you the same way, but we definitely respect you and your opinion. Keep them coming and love that dog, and your Ducks! 

• Like 2

Yeah, Hayward says it pretty good.  

But don't misunderstand Debbie, a lot of us like the Beavers too, esp. their accomplishments on the baseball diamond.  Not being an Oregon alumni, I can feel this way.  Oregon alumni, maybe not so easy for them to root for the Beavers. 

Another article related to the Arizona game and Arizona's great WR corp.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Arizona has the best wideout talent Oregon's Dan Lanning has seen thus far. Saturday's game between the Ducks and Wildcats has explosive potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:49 AM, Log Haulin said:

Az has 4 legitimate receivers. They are going to be a challenge. I think this Oregon pass D takes a huge jump this week and minimizes the damage. 2 picks?

At the rate Oregon is accelerating its level of play, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ducks are on the bubble of final four in front of the Utes game. Gotta take care of Az first though. 

This team has been battle tested. They have shown grit. Ducks are getting better each week. So far we have seen the makings of a great season.

Huge aspirations! Love the matchup you pointed out with AZ's receivers. Should be a huge confidence boost for our secondary, showing the PAC-12 our top recruits and transfer cornerbacks came to play.

As for grit, you're 100% on the money. Even the weaker teams are getting mopped by Oregon, and our Ducks aren't playing down to competition anymore. Let's see more of the same tomorrow.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Debbie!

Let's not be too hasty here, lol. I'll go have a talk with Lanning just for you. Make something work.

• Haha 1

Arizona is nowhere near the worst team in football, at least this season.  That title belongs to Colorado.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Tandaian said:

Arizona is nowhere near the worst team in football, at least this season.  That title belongs to Colorado.

Poor 'ol Buffalos.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:08 AM, aheining said:

Debbie!

Let's not be too hasty here, lol. I'll go have a talk with Lanning just for you. Make something work.

Thank you sir.  While you are talking to him, I want the first play to be a Bomb to Franklin. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Cool 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mic said:

But don't misunderstand Debbie, a lot of us like the Beavers too, esp. their accomplishments on the baseball diamond.  Not being an Oregon alumni, I can feel this way.  Oregon alumni, maybe not so easy for them to root for the Beavers. 

Can confirm. As a Ducks alumni, I'd rather turn green from head to toe than root for the Beavers. Would save me money on the face paint.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ya. I’m a graduate of Eastern Oregon 

Oregon alumni, maybe not so easy for them to root for the Beavers. 

Oregon Alum here and I've never hated the Beavs, that is reserved for the uskies. I absolutely don't want to lose to them, nevermore than back in the 70's in basketball. But generally, when the Beavs are playing I want them to win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Arizona is not the worst team in college football, not by a mile.  (You could make that case for Colorado though)

2. You are welcome to do as you please, but I am a loyal fan no matter what.  I have resolved to have this forum for Oregon fans through it all, as there is a reason loyalty is a virtue.

3. Oregon has a winning Baseball team for those who want to follow Our Beloved Ducks.

3. If you apply your same approach later as a Beaver fan....doesn't that mean you will be back?  😅

• Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great stuff Alex, and I look forward to your updates tonight!

A game like is this is what Oregon needs.  We will face other great passing attacks, (like UCLA next week) but those teams will be not have the weakness or two the Wildcats do.  Use this as a game to improve and get better on pass defense!

Young guns 2021_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2022 at 10:11 AM, Charles Fischer said:

1. Arizona is not the worst team in college football, not by a mile.  (You could make that case for Colorado though)

2. You are welcome to do as you please, but I am a loyal fan no matter what.  I have resolved to have this forum for Oregon fans through it all, as loyalty is not a virtue for nothing.

3. Oregon has a winning Baseball team for those who want to follow Our Beloved Ducks.

3. If you apply this same approach later as a Beaver fan....doesn't that mean you will be back?  😅

Lol.  I will vent to my dog next time.  

I hate Arizona more than most in here hate Washington.  I was there with my kid when Arizona demolished Mariota and the Ducks.

Kadeem ran over the top of us for over 200 yards.  So they ARE the worst team to ever play the game.  

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, debbieduck said:

Ya. I’m a graduate of Eastern Oregon 

Good school.

btw: this snippet from Rob Moseley's article on GoDucks.com Practice Report for Oct. 05:

"When the Ducks play Saturday evening at Arizona, they'll be facing one of the top passing teams in the country so far this season. The Wildcats rank ninth in the FBS with 340 passing yards per game, led by quarterback Jayden de Laura and a talented stable of receivers."

As I said earlier, oftentimes it all comes down to 'match-ups'.  Arizona might just provide a matchup problem for the Ducks.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, 30Duck said:

Oregon Alum here and I've never hated the Beavs, that is reserved for the uskies. I absolutely don't want to lose to them, nevermore than back in the 70's in basketball. But generally, when the Beavs are playing I want them to win. 

I think (?) a lot of us root for the Beavs except when they play the Ducks.  They're the 'other' Oregon team (w/respects to PSU). Ideally,  I like to see an unbeaten OSU Beaver team play and lose to an unbeaten Oregon Duck team - every season.  12-1 vs 13-0.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mic said:

I think (?) a lot of us root for the Beavs except when they play the Ducks.  They're the 'other' Oregon team (w/respects to PSU). Ideally,  I like to see an unbeaten OSU Beaver team play and lose to an unbeaten Oregon Duck team - every season.  12-1 vs 13-0.

I don't know if it was just a part of my class, but I never rooted for the Beavs. Maybe I'll grow and find a way to do so later. 

But until then, it's Ducks or nothing. 

• Wow 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:48 AM, aheining said:

I don't know if it was just a part of my class, but I never rooted for the Beavs. Maybe I'll grow and find a way to do so later. 

But just think how an 11-0 Beaver team, losing to an 11-0 Duck team (11-1 vs 12-0) would help the Ducks. No other team in the Pac-N could challenge for the Championship.  Not to mention the two teams would both be ranked very high and the winner (O) catapulted even higher.

Pure speculation - probably never happen - but it could!

Definitely a trap game. Definitely. 

Main reason, classes have started.

Seems like every year we struggle the first couple games after the start of classes.

2nd reason, we are on a 4 game winning streak, just enough to get a little cocky. 

And 3rdly, de Laura. If he gets hot, he has great receivers. 

However, if the coaches have the team prepped well, this could be a statement game.

Personally, my biggest concern is our redzone offense. We still seem to be struggling there. If we can improve that, and improve stopping them on 3rd down, statement win.

Go Ducks!

• Oh no! 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Great stuff Alex, and I look forward to your updates tonight!

A game like is this is what Oregon needs.  We will face other great passing attacks, (like UCLA next week) but those teams will be not have the weakness or two the Wildcats do.  Use this as a game to improve and get better on pass defense!

Young guns 2021_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Games "we need" scare me.  

Of course, you're right in saying that because we do need to see if O can stop the passing attack of Jake DeLaura and his talented WR's.  If O can't they won't be winning the Pac-12 this year nor (possibly) a decent bowl game if the opponent can throw it long as well.  O still doesn't seem to have the pass rush they need to help the secondary out, though they did get 3 sacks against Stanford. 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, DanLduck said:

Personally, my biggest concern is our redzone offense. We still seem to be struggling there. If we can improve that, and improve stopping them on 3rd down, statement win.

Red zone. Ah, yes.  Not been very good against good teams.

Going back and re-watching the last game I noticed that almost half the reason why they continued to struggle there against Stanford was due to penalties.  That can get cleaned up, but if the O-line can't get the snap count right in Autzen will they be able to get it right in Tucson with a stadium full of screaming fans?  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, Mic said:

Red zone. Ah, yes.  Not been very good against good teams.

Going back and re-watching the last game I noticed that almost half the reason why they continued to struggle there against Stanford was due to penalties.  That can get cleaned up, but if the O-line can't get the snap count right in Autzen will they be able to get it right in Tucson with a stadium full of screaming fans?  

Penalties were huge, great point!

Next week if the penalties aren't cleaned up, I'm really going to start getting worried. 

Also: redzone was great with the tight end group early in the season. Want to see more of that moving forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, DanLduck said:

Definitely a trap game. Definitely. 

Main reason, classes have started.

Seems like every year we struggle the first couple games after the start of classes.

2nd reason, we are on a 4 game winning streak, just enough to get a little cocky. 

And 3rdly, de Laura. If he gets hot, he has great receivers. 

However, if the coaches have the team prepped well, this could be a statement game.

Go Ducks!

Love the respect de Laura is getting, and you're absolutely spot on. 

Redzone offense started great after Georgia but has been hit or miss as of late. Let's see that brought back a bit with some good tight end play, effective quarterback running, and zero turnovers

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article, lots to ponder. On the Beavs, some Beavs fans could feel that I'm insulting, patronizing them by not hating on them, and they could be right. Everything about Washington makes me sick, while I don't want to lose to the Beavs, a loss to them is more like a step off the curb into a puddle so deep I have wet socks the rest of the day.

Red Zone. It's definitely not better when you need to score on a breakaway 60 yards run instead of pushing it in from goal to go at the 9, and penalties are a big part of why it gets tough in closed quarters. If our O Line is truly dominant inside the 10, a touchdown should be automatic. 

Interesting thing about the beavs is as I have matured, and grown in understanding programs I have been able appreciate and support the beavs when they aren't playing the Ducks.

The beavs program and their fans seem to move in the opposite direction. Growing up it seemed they were much more understanding and even supportive of our Ducks.

Now the adults I know can't stand the Ducks, at all. They want our Ducks to lose every game, won't wear green even on St. Paddy's Day.

Not sure what that says about either program nor their fans, but that is what I see. 

Oregon rolling into Tucson 

Resized_20221007_134616(0).jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:16 AM, debbieduck said:

Go Ducks  

My dog has bigger fish to fry. Good news is they got all the cancer

20221006_151839.thumb.jpg.aa1a7ca7ce35f362801d2fe2261808cb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, 30Duck said:

Everything about Washington makes me sick

And that is why you are a great Oregon fan....

Husky Husky.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2022 at 2:08 PM, BearDownCats said:

Oregon rolling into Tucson 

You have been a friendly Wildcat fan, but I do wish to warn you in advance to NOT come here tomorrow and read the "Saturday Spoof" article by Alan Lohner.  Alan has skewered every opponent in his articles thus far this season, and his evisceration of Arizona in his article tomorrow is priceless.  (I've read it already and both howled with laughter and winced)

I always like to warn the nice fans in advance because if you do...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You have been a friendly Wildcat fan, but I do wish to warn you in advance to NOT come here tomorrow and read the "Saturday Spoof" article by Alan Lohner.  Alan has skewered every opponent in his articles thus far this season, and his evisceration of Arizona in his article tomorrow is priceless.  (I've read it already and both howled with laughter and winced)

I always like to warn the nice fans in advance because if you do...

giphy.gif

Ehh, it's football, we know our place haha, now if it was basketball

• Salute 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't read this whole thread yet so maybe this has already been covered, but here's my take.....

I think Oregon's biggest challenge this week is to stay injury free. Play the starters long enough to get the win and then get them the heck on the bench.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting thing about the beavs is as I have matured, and grown in understanding programs I have been able appreciate and support the beavs when they aren't playing the Ducks.

The beavs program and their fans seem to move in the opposite direction. Growing up it seemed they were much more understanding and even supportive of our Ducks.

Now the adults I know can't stand the Ducks, at all. They want our Ducks to lose every game, won't wear green even on St. Paddy's Day.

Not sure what that says about either program nor their fans, but that is what I see. 

I used to feel that way about Oregon too. The reason? During the Chip Kelly era when you guys were in the hunt for national championship's I knew one or two really, really, really obnoxious and arrogant Duck fans at my place of employment. I made the stupid mistake of painting all Duck fan's with that same brush. Then I stumbled upon this FishDuck board and was pretty blown away at how classy y'all are. Totally changed me. I'll be rootin' for ya (until you play Utah).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, FreddyD said:

I haven't read this whole thread yet so maybe this has already been covered, but here's my take.....

I think Oregon's biggest challenge this week is to stay injury free. Play the starters long enough to get the win and then get them the heck on the bench.

Hasn't really been touched on, great point!

Injuries are huge, and with reckless Nix has been, I'm worried about him being safe (knock on wood). Hope the team takes your advice.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, FreddyD said:

Then I stumbled upon this FishDuck board and was pretty blown away at how classy y'all are. Totally changed me. I'll be rootin' for ya

That is very kind of you...wow.  Now I have to root for your team tomorrow!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I cant imagine the day where I couldn't be a Ducks fan--even if MC was still the coach--Been Duckin it since 1972. Don't get me wrong I have a tendency to get ticked off from time to time, a Duck loss nearly kills me.