Tandaian

Bucky Irving Emerging as Lead Back for the Ducks

He's certainly my favorite RB on this team.  What fun to watch!

With an average of >7.5 ypc all he needs is more carries in each game.  I believe he got 97 yards against Stanford and Whittington got a lot of carries, as did Nix.  

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Balance, wiggle, burst and likes contact.  Bucky ball.

• Haha 1

And credit the offensive line for creating the holes and Dillingham for an offense that creates cut-back lanes for the RBs!

Bucky Irving_Harry Caston.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

He has incredible contact balance.  He is so fun to watch.  Love it!

Our running game was boring to watch for a few years.

A change in the offense, coupled with a RB like Bucky Irving, has completely changed that for me. He is both physical and elusive….Fights for those yards after contact. 

Entertainment value has increased dramatically in just a few games. 

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1

Love Coach Locklyn. Who is the best RB in the room…answer is classic. About 3:40 mark

Edited by Drake
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Drake said:

Our running game was boring to watch for a few years.

A change in the offense, coupled with a RB like Bucky Irving, has completely changed that for me. He is both physical and elusive….Fights for those yards after contact. 

Entertainment value has increased dramatically in just a few games. 

Great post! It isn't 'touchdown, Bucky Irving!' 3 steps after he gets the ball like it was for LMJ. But Irving has absolutely put the pop back in the running game for the Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Was not impressed with ANY of the committee of running backs in game #1 against Georgia. I was prepared for a season of mediocre offensive football.

Whoops! As a former boss told me frequently over the years, "Withhold judgment until evaluation is complete."  While evaluation is not yet complete, I've seen enough in weeks 2-5 to know that my initial impression of Irving (and Whittington, to a lesser degree) was premature. Irving is the real deal.

Soon to add one more to the stable in 23. The room seems to be in excellent hands for sure. 

Gotta say, I’m impressed and excited about the Ducks running game.  Great depth at RB and a talented O-line paving the way.  What’s not to like?  

Right now Bucky is my favorite, dude is running hard.  From what I’ve read Cardwell is the most talented, can’t wait to see him when he is healthy.  And then you got Whittington and James.  4 very good RBs.  I have been very impressed with true freshman James.  Tough runner, he is good now, will be very good or great in the future. I was hoping he was gonna be a Bulldog, glad he is a Duck though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And credit the offensive line for creating the holes and Dillingham for an offense that creates cut-back lanes for the RBs!

Bucky Irving_Harry Caston.jpg

And circle back to Irving for waiting for the holes to be created!

On 10/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, Drake said:

Love Coach Locklyn. Who is the best RB in the room…answer is classic. About 3:40 mark

Gads,  I like this coach.  If I had a young son playing football I'd want this man teaching and mentoring him.  I think we talked about this a few weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

Getting back to the subject of this thread (and responding to Charles' observation on the performance of the O-Line) Bucky has shown repeated ability to turn a busted play (hole stuffed) into a big gainer by his quick field reversal and tackle breaking abilities.  Effort, as Coach Locklyn stresses.

The O-line does open holes for him, but not every time.  He still manages to get + yardage when things break down.  Nor does he waste a good block.

The old saying "A good O-line makes a good RB" could also be turned around to say "A good RB can help a good O-line look even better".

I remember thinking I would miss Travis Dye...lol

Man, our core now is head and shoulders above Verdell and Dye.  Its not even close

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Bucky. I haven't been this excited about an Oregon running back since Lamichael James, De'Anthony Thomas, and Kenjon Barner. I'm also excited to see Byron Cardwell back in the action. I think he could be another great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Love the guy..................but what is the story behind the name "Bucky".  Asking for a friend.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, FishDuckFan said:

Love the guy..................but what is the story behind the name "Bucky".  Asking for a friend.

247SPORTS.COM

Mar'Keise Irving opens up about his decision to transfer to Oregon

Dunno, but it's an ideal name for this young man once you see him run.  Oregon won the transfer lottery the day this kid picked the Ducks, imo.  It's a great football name, don't you think?

Edited by Mic