Charles Fischer

Do the Beavers Have a Superior Defense to the Ducks?

In terms of the eyeball test...I am forced to conclude it, and it is a bitter pill to swallow.  Their defensive backs play tighter, and their pass rush is MUCH better than Oregon's...despite the star ratings of Oregon players, and all the experience in the front seven of the Ducks.

Giving up only 17 to USC, and now only 10 to Washington State?  Geez.  Between the regular season and the bowl game...the Beavers have a real shot at 10 wins this year!

And if they had an experienced savvy QB like a Bo Nix, a Cam Rising or a DTR....they would be scary, IMHO.

WSU win streak over Oregon State ends at 8 as Cougs lose 24-10 - CougCenter

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Multiple years in a system pays off. 

Oregon's defense has come a long way so far. Looking for them to take the next step on Saturday against UCLA. 

However.... I'd say the Beavers still play much better at home than they do away. 

Same goes for Oregon but the big difference is that Oregon has traveled and won in conference play. The beavers have lost on the road though they also beat Stanford but that was a nailbiter. 

I'd say our nailbiter against WSU was a better win than their nailbiter against Stanford. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ducks peak scores this year.

BYU 38-7 3rd qtr

Stanford 31-3 Half time

Arizona 49-13 3rd qtr

Late game stat padding by the opponents have masked the UO's defensive dominance in three games. That nail biter in the Palouse is looking worse and worse but OSU and USC also didn't have to go there for their games.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

I agree with David Marsh: the Beavers do look better defensively than the Ducks - at this point.  

The hard thing to tell is how well WSU plays on the road without their fans.  Also, going back and watching the highlights I saw a USC team that was pretty unstoppable at time, hanging 42 points on Utah in Rice Eccles, where-as they were only able to score 17 against the Beavers in Corvallis.

If any team can stop Oregon's offense, they can beat them.  I don't even want to think about that last game in Corvallis until it comes.

I dont know if their D is better but they seem to get to the ball a bit faster.

The USC game is the only one I’ve really watched, and I was impressed not only by their over-all defensive team speed, but the buy-in they exhibited in how coordinated their attack schemes were executed. That’s a motivated group, and, like most of the games left on our schedule, will demand of us to rise to the occasion. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2022 at 9:54 AM, Washington Waddler said:

That’s a motivated group, and, like most of the games left on our schedule, will demand of us to rise to the occasion. 

I'm gonna be a pretty unpopular guy for saying this right now (and really, it doesn't make much sense to do so) but IF the Ducks and Beans were playing their game today, in Corvallis.  I'd pick the Beavers to either win that game or make it so close Oregon fans would be scared to death.  If the Ducks can't at least slow down UCLA next Saturday I'll be even more inclined to think that way.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Charles, I completely agree with you.

Using the "eye test", OSU looks better in the secondary. Several times Ward had all kinds of time to throw, and no one to throw to.

He was not the same player he was at home against us.

However, the Beavs made Caleb Williams look pedestrian also.

Maybe there is something in the water...

If they had a decent qb I'd be worried, a little. We can stop their run game, making them one dimensional and shut them down.

But they sure look good at home.

If the Beav's were good enough to coast the last 20 minutes of the game like the Ducks have, I'm sure the stats would be more similar.

Here is article from James Crepea that might help in your conversation.

1. . In rushing defense, we are first in the Pac, 13th nationally
  2. . In passing defense, we are 12th in the Pac, 113th nationally
  3. . As a total defense, we are 5th in the Pac, 61st nationally

Statistically speaking: Oregon Ducks’ run defense moves into top 15 after bye week

You can probably glean a lot more from these numbers...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The No. 10 Ducks (5-1, 3-0 Pac-12) have been in the top 20 in run defense since beating Washington State and moved up from 19th to 13th following their bye week.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

In terms of the eyeball test...I am forced to conclude it, and it is a bitter pill to swallow.  Their defensive backs play tighter, and their pass rush is MUCH better than Oregon's...despite the star ratings of Oregon players, and all the experience in the front seven of the Ducks.

Giving up only 17 to USC, and now only 10 to Washington State?  Geez.  Between the regular season and the bowl game...the Beavers have a real shot at 10 wins this year!

And if they had an experienced savvy QB like a Bo Nix, a Cam Rising or a DTR....they would be scary, IMHO.

WSU win streak over Oregon State ends at 8 as Cougs lose 24-10 - CougCenter

TT

Well Utah dropped 42 on little brother.  I'm not sold the damn builders are all that. They yielded 27 to Stanford as well.

And suffice it to say, USC, you know the defense we expected WSU to shred, held the  "powerful" Cougars to 14. 

Thus, I am not convinced Oregon State is anything but Ordinary on Defense.  

I'm not saying OBD can stop anybody lethal. Heck I'm worried about UCLA right now.  I do "know" this: I expect OBD to shred little brother.  I'd be offended if they didn't.

Kool Aide Mike has spoken.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's hard to gage what any team is after playing Wazzu. Ducks ruined Cougs. Every game I have watched since they played Oregon, hasn't been the same team OBD played. They got wreaked. 

• Great post! 1

On 10/16/2022 at 11:52 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If the Beav's were good enough to coast the last 20 minutes of the game like the Ducks have, I'm sure the stats would be more similar.

The Ducks have been able to 'coast' a few times but that was against EWU, Arizona and Stanford, not USC and WSU.  Also the Ducks were in 'coasting' mode because they scored so many points but again not against USC (who they won't play in the regular season).  

Offensively O looks superior - for sure.  But we're talking about defense and here I think we have to concede the Beavs are giving up a lot fewer points against arguably better opponents.  They rely on defense to win, the Ducks on offense.

I agree with Charles.  The Rodents pass the eye test with pretty good speed and solid tackling.  From my brief viewing of their games, they seem to play a lot less zone than OBD (SO FAR!) along with a more blitzing/attacking D.  Keeping in mind that we have a reasonably young secondary, and defense as a whole, I look for constant improvement from Lupoi's guys.  On the other hand, the Beapers have an entire upper class starting D...with one exception, a sophomore. 

With added game time and continued development, added complexity of plays, and with these great teacher-coaches that OBD have, we should see dynamic improvement from the beginning to season's end.  The Ducks should have a complete defensive playbook to choose from by the time we roll into Potato Salad Field.  So yes, the Spud Growers have a decent D...but I'm not concerned about the events of November 26...other than will my wife like her 39th wedding anniversary gift!

Edited by Mudslide
  • Mic drop 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:20 AM, David Marsh said:

though they also beat Stanford but that was a nailbiter. 

Unlike the Ducks, who had the game against WSU all the way.😉

On 10/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, 30Duck said:

Unlike the Ducks, who had the game against WSU all the way.😉

Well I did say that our nailbiter was at least against a better team. 

Charles you are 100% correct. Last night I checked some things.  In the last 4 recruiting classes including so far in 2023 Beavs have had one 4 star, Ducks 6 % stars and 44 4 stars.  Oregon DB's don't look nearly as good on the field as the Beavs.  I do think the Duck DL's do a great job, but so do the Beavs.  The last game of the season is going to be tough particularly in Corn Valley.

In conclusion I think that Smith has put together an excellent coaching staff, particularly those working with the DB's

On 10/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, mrspenney said:

In conclusion I think that Smith has put together an excellent coaching staff, particularly those working with the DB's

I would include their offensive line coach; they run the ball superbly, and do not have the prize recruits doing it.

Mr. FishDuck