Pennsylvania Duck

What If Ducks Hadn't Played Georgia? Jon Wilner Explains Impact

Pac-12 picks: Deep dive into the Oregon-UCLA point spread, breakdown of Week 8

Under normalized circumstances, not Georgia-ized circumstances — the Ducks would be a more substantial favorite over UCLA than 6 points.

WWW.KSL.COM

The Ducks should be favored by more than 6 points.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I listened to Jerry Allen yesterday on ESPNU Radio getting interviewed by Bobby Carpenter. He had an interesting take on the UGA game. He seemed to think that if they hadn’t gotten humbled they may not have realized how hard they need to work and listen to DL and his staff. He said that DL probably told them if they wanted to be as good as UGA then they need to follow his process and really buy into improving.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 9:41 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I listened to Jerry Allen yesterday on ESPNU Radio getting interviewed by Bobby Carpenter. He had an interesting take on the UGA game. He seemed to think that if they hadn’t gotten humbled they may not have realized how hard they need to work and listen to DL and his staff. He said that DL probably told them if they wanted to be as good as UGA then they need to follow his process and really buy into improving.

That's an interesting take. I had never thought of that but it seems to have worked well if that's what he did do!

On 10/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Under normalized circumstances, not Georgia-ized circumstances — the Ducks would be a more substantial favorite over UCLA than 6 points.

thanks @Pennsylvania Duck 

This was exactly my suspicion, and now I have arguments to substantiate my confirmation bias. 

Go Ducks!! 🦆

It's a mixed bag here. 

I do think from a culture perspective Oregon needed to get humiliated and it overall didn't hurt for that to be to last year's national champions. 

But if we didn't play Georgia we could very well be 6-0 right now. 

Or just as possible... 5-1 and we would have gotten beat by a lesser team. 

We can survive the Georgia loss for so many reasons. Would we have been better off losing to BYU or WSU? Probably not. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I disagree with this notion.  I'm thinking the money movers on Vegas are all over this six points.  UCLA has a real shot at winning this game.  Even though this is only their second road game.

OBD are Mulligan men.  They will need to play flawlessly to win this one.  We are about to see a much better test than WSU.   As we now see, WSU looks like they based their entire season on OBD.  They have thuded back to reality.

Can't wait to see what our Oregon men do this week.

Edited by Mike West

UCLA pushed Utah all over the field.  Game was over first half.  

I want to jump on the bandwagon as well.  But who, exactly, have we beaten this year? 

It was a little over just a month ago I saw Georgia, who was later manhandled by Missouri, curb stomp us. 

Then I watched WSU score on us at will.  I haven’t seen them do that to anyone else? 

Perhaps I am still dealing with getting crushed by Utah twice, Oklahoma with half their team missing, and Georgia just a month ago.  

I am ready to see us a manhandle a legitimate top 15 team for once.  If we can’t beat UCLA at home then what does that really say about us?

A lot of people have that question.  I think Oregon’s image, and future, is riding on this game. 

Go ducks! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I would say that this group of Duck players have completely bought in to the process to get better. 

What I've observed is that each week we are getting better in different areas! 

With that said, our best football I believe is still in front of us! 

I will also say again, when we play the Beavers in the Battle of the Valley, our Ducks will be 11-1, probably in the Top 6 when it actually matters and prepared to win the Pac-12 Championship! 

Isn't it nice to dream? 

Go Ducks, beat those Bruins!!!!

I'm used to Wilner hating on the Ducks, so this all makes me even more nervous.

• Thumbs Up 1

This does make a ton of sense; beat Wyoming in the first game instead of playing Georgia, and we might be No. 5 in the nation.  But would we be as good a team?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Georgia football's win over Oregon continues to look impressive

The Georgia Bulldogs dominated Oregon, 49-3, to open the 2022 college football season. Georgia’s

blow out win over quarterback Bo Nix and the Oregon Ducks looks even more impressive after Week 8.

It seems the Georgia game is going to follow the Ducks even if they win out.

UGAWIRE.USATODAY.COM

How could Georgia’s win over Oregon factor into the CFP race?

Getting run over and overwhelmed by Georgia was the best thing that happened to this team.  Even if it costs OBD a playoff spot this year it is metaphorical money well spent. 

IMHO, the dividends from that game will pay off for years to come. 

Frankly, I don’t think they are where they are right now without that game (IOW, even in the counter factual scenario the CFP isn’t happening)

Edited by CalBear95

On 10/23/2022 at 8:24 AM, CalBear95 said:

Getting run over and overwhelmed by Georgia was the best thing that happened to this team.  Even if it costs OBD a playoff spot this year it is metaphorical money well spent. 

IMHO, the dividends from that game will pay off for years to come. 

Frankly, I don’t think they are where they are right now without that game (IOW, even in the counter factual scenario the CFP isn’t happening)

The lesson did not need to be that bad, but it sure helped a young team to see what a great one is--and by contrast our "tough" games in the Pac-12 are nothing like the Bulldogs.  I agree with you.

And CalBear95...this is your week?

Cal_Tod Fierner.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The lesson did not need to be that bad, but it sure helped a young team to see what a great one is--and by contrast our "tough" games in the Pac-12 are nothing like the Bulldogs.  I agree with you.

And CalBear95...this is your week?

Cal_Tod Fierner.jpg

I heard Lanning tell the Baker kid (an o-line recruit) that the Georgia game was his least favorite, but that it gave a positive force to the team by giving them motivation to practice harder and do the work each day.

Maybe that spanking in Atlanta was just what we needed.

Lots of football left. But, the big goal is still on the table.

One week, one game at a time.

Go Ducks!