DazeNconfused

Georgia LB Nolan Smith Lost For This Weeks Game With Tennessee

This is a huge loss for the Dawgs as they have their toughest game on the year this weekend with Tennessee

It's comparable to us losing KT last year for the Ohio St game. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

Georgia linebacker Nolan Smith will miss the remainder of the season with a torn pectoral muscle, sources confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

If the loss of one player, no matter how good, swings the game then Georgia isn't Championship material.  I think Georgia is deeper than that but we'll see, I suppose.

Due to the loss suffered in Atlanta, I have to pull for Georgia tho I'd probably prefer to see Tennessee win the game otherwise.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The only player they could lose and effect the team more would be the starting QB. 

Smith was the #1 player in the 2019 class. He was a pre-season All-American and projected 1st round pick. He is the leader of the UGA defense and is the team's best pass rusher. 

This is a huge story for Ducks fans.

UT has one of the top offenses in FBS and now UGA plays them without the anchor of their defense. The winner of this game will win the SEC east and go to the SEC championship game. 

If UGA loses this game the path to the playoffs is close to shut for the Ducks.

The Ducks would need Clemson and TCU to lose, and UT to beat Bama again in the SEC Championship. 

The Ducks could be a 1 loss Pac-12 Champ and I don't see them getting in over a 1 loss Georgia even if they didn't make the SEC title game. There is no way the Ducks get in over UGA given the week one beat down by 46 points to the Dawgs.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Yikes! 1

If team chemistry cannot overcome the loss of one player - no matter how important - then that team is not of championship caliber.

On 11/1/2022 at 10:43 AM, Washington Waddler said:

If team chemistry cannot overcome the loss of one player - no matter how important - then that team is not of championship caliber.

I beg to differ. UGA isn't playing Tulane in a gimmie game. I think you're setting the bar awful high here. 

They are playing a UT team with a dynamic offense and a QB who is going to NY for the Heisman award ceremony. UT beat Bama - they have proven they are one of the top teams in the country.  

It's not a lock UGA would beat UT with Smith healthy. A loss to UT doesn't make UGA not playoff worthy caliber team. The SEC top teams are cream of the crop.

UGA lost to Bama in the SEC Championship game and came back to win the title last year. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 11/1/2022 at 10:57 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I think you're setting the bar awful high here. 

Quite possibly. Match-ups of this quality are often won or lost on matters of seconds and inches which are certainly influenced by superior players. I guess what I was trying to get at was the non-statistical, non-quantifiable nature of team chemistry, and how those great teams in the past have over-come devastating adversity and found a way to win in spite of it.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:22 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Quite possibly. Match-ups of this quality are often won or lost on matters of seconds and inches which are certainly influenced by superior players. I guess what I was trying to get at was the non-statistical, non-quantifiable nature of team chemistry, and how those great teams in the past have over-come devastating adversity and found a way to win in spite of it.

Ok, that's a real good point you make.

You'd think Georgia would have the team chemistry and coaching leadership to overcome the adversity of losing a player like Smith. If they lose, I doubt they will use not having him as an excuse. 

I really have no idea who is going to win this game. Georgia is the team to beat until someone does, but they have had some not to impressive performance's this year, were the Dawgs not up for those games? 

UT has looked really, really good so far - I'm pulling for the Dawgs as them wining is better for the Ducks. If the Dawgs end up pound UT it makes the Ducks loss to UGA not so bad. 

I'll watch more of this game than the Ducks game as this is akin to a quarterfinal type of matchup. 

UGA is Stacked and knows how to win big games. They are playing in Athens and the crowd will be juiced. UGA by 2 scores.

Here is a good article addressing the situation.

WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

Georgia football will have to work hard to replace Nolan Smith.

Georgia cannot simply  replace Nolan Smith. He is an important team leader and a coach on the field.  Yet that hardly means they are doomed to lose the game. His position will be played by committee with some of the committee members being young but talented and relatively inexperienced. 

I don't mean to come across as a self-handicapper here. It is quite possible that Tennessee could win this  game with Nolan playing. A football  chat buddy who is a rabid Tennessee fan and ex-Vol player thinks 

Georgia wins this game if the team is really dialed in. However, if Georgia is the least bit lackadaisical, as they were for their two FCS games, his money would  be on the Vols.

My best guess is that Georgia will not be the slightest  lackadaisical and will probably win a tight one--but my confidence  in this outcome is not real high. But one thing I do know:  Should Georgia lose, Kirby will gladly congratulate the Vols and certainly not try to pin the loss on Nolan's absence.

• Thumbs Up 2

These are 18-22 year old kids.  Smart is a great coach, but even he can't get the kids dialed in 100% of the time against inferior opponents.  I have no doubt Smart is going to have his team dialed in against Tennessee.

Tennessee got to play Alabama at home and came out with a 3 point win on a last second FG.  Alabama is still a great football team, but they appear to be shadows of themselves this season.

I think UGA smokes Tennessee.  UGA is -8.  I think they cover that with ease.

I read somewhere that Smith is Lost for the season.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:34 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Georgia cannot simply  replace Nolan Smith. He is an important team leader and a coach on the field.  Yet that hardly means they are doomed to lose the game. His position will be played by committee with some of the committee members being young but talented and relatively inexperienced. 

I don't mean to come across as a self-handicapper here. It is quite possible that Tennessee could win this  game with Nolan playing. A football  chat buddy who is a rabid Tennessee fan and ex-Vol player thinks 

Georgia wins this game if the team is really dialed in. However, if Georgia is the least bit lackadaisical, as they were for their two FCS games, his money would  be on the Vols.

My best guess is that Georgia will not be the slightest  lackadaisical and will probably win a tight one--but my confidence  in this outcome is not real high. But one thing I do know:  Should Georgia lose, Kirby will gladly congratulate the Vols and certainly not try to pin the loss on Nolan's absence.

Yeah, this has all the championship dressing. Might be a case of fewer mistakes or last one with the ball scores and wins.

A CFB lover's dream.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, Just Ducky said:

I read somewhere that Smith is Lost for the season.

This is true and the injury ends a brilliant college career. According to Kirby, Nolan remains important as a "coach on the sideline".

• Wow 1

I have a little more hope for Georgia in this game.  True, they lost a lot to the NFL draft last year.  But the team returns a really solid core, especially at offense.  So, it's also true that Tennessee is a different team from last year's humiliating loss at home to Georgia.  But the main elements are still in place...including Hooker.  It's my speculation that UT cannot stop the Dawg's rushing attack.  Both teams will score a lot.  But Georgia will mostly handle the 2011-Oregon-like gimmicks and speed, and will again humble the orange bunch.

UGA gets it done and gets it done big.